Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I'm gonna book a reservation now, and stay here. Everything is right. And I will enjoy breakfast as a Diamond being recognized and rewarded commensurate with everything I am entitled to.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Sorry, but I don't know why people pay valet here (unless one is the valet type and pays to valet park at most every hotel or restaurant or club/bar one visits)... the parking using the Kehei Option is no further a walk than many hotel self-parking lots (including the far self-parking lot at the HR Kaanapali when there was that option, or most any Vegas Strip hotel).

But I do agree about the resort fee, that would keep me from staying here except I seem to always visit on a 100% points award stay.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by canyonleo
Sorry, but I don't know why people pay valet here (unless one is the valet type and pays to valet park at most every hotel or restaurant or club/bar one visits)... the parking using the Kehei Option is no further a walk than many hotel self-parking lots (including the far self-parking lot at the HR Kaanapali when there was that option, or most any Vegas Strip hotel).
Probably because you can't publicize what the Kihei Option is...
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I do agree about the resort fee, that would keep me from staying here except I seem to always visit on a 100% points award stay.
I'm all ears. What's the Kihei option? Just parking in the mall?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:28 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm all ears. What's the Kihei option? Just parking in the mall?
Definitely not the mall - the mall is putting in gates for payment - sign says up to $40.00 a day. Kihei is a town north of the property.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peteropny
Definitely not the mall - the mall is putting in gates for payment - sign says up to $40.00 a day. Kihei is a town north of the property.
Roger. Will research separately.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Unlike the resort fee, that's been the same since day one.
Yes, but you must note the context, which is that many other area hotels charge resort fee but not parking, and the Andaz for a long time did the opposite (which made it, net net, not an outlier). Now it charges for both resort fee and parking, which makes the nickel and diming no less unappealing.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I am thrilled to report the Kihei option worked a treat earlier this week! When I came back early in the morning, 8am or so, I noticed a Wailea Patrol unit parked just a few yards away from where I had left my car overnight. The officer sat inside didn't bat an eyelid at me when I retrieved my car under his nose.

The Andaz is stunning and my only issue was being unable to turn the A/C off without leaving the balcony doors open. However much I tried I could not turn the damn thing off, it would keep automatically switching back on. The free laundry facility is located on the 2nd floor opposite room 242 on the Akau wing and is very handy! The Hawaiian bento box is delightful for breakfast. Not cheap at $25++ and portion size is modest.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:00 am

Regarding a patrol car, there are two possibilities. It could be Kehei Police, in which case no issue, as parking (other than possibly 2a-6a) is beach access (even on the street) and no issue. Or, it could be "Wailea Patrol", a company that is a contractor managing the parking lots for both The Mall and the government entity running the Beach Access lots (and likely other entities that use Wailea Patrol, such as an HOA), in which case where you parked is not within it's jurisdiction.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:01 am

There's no Kihei PD. Just MPD in Maui County.

I'm sure that's what you meant.

Unless there's posted no parking signs there, MPD is not going to bother you.

The private patrol can't give you an official parking ticket on a public street.

-David
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:08 am

Yes, MPD.
But, I think the private patrol is hired to manage the Beach Access lots (at least in Wailea, maybe also Makena?) and thus I would assume (hasn't happened to me) that it can have you ticketed and towed, or maybe it then contacts MPD which arrives and has one ticketed and towed (for not removing one's parked car after sunset).

But, correct, no one should fear a Wailea Patrol car/person if one is parking where there are no signed restrictions.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:22 am

Pretty close ...

Private patrols can only do things in private lots and private roads, and they can tow you (if posted) but not ticket you in any effective way if you don't live there. I suppose they can give you an association ticket, like the ones that an HOA anywhere might give you, but those are meaningless unless you live there and they can fine you through the HOA.

Public lots (county and state beach parks) and public roads are patrolled by MPD. There's several county beach parks with parking lots along S. Kihei Road. Kamaole I, II and III for example.

The beach itself is always public in Hawaii. So if you want to go to the beach in front of somebody's $30 million dollar beach house, you can as long as you have a way to get to it. (public access is always an issue also.) But think about those really expensive homes as you drive into Anini Beach on Kauai. You can use their beach because it's not their beach.

There's always stories in the news here with beachfront homeowners getting into trouble with the state for building structures on public land or letting their vegetation grow beyond their property onto public land. More of that on Oahu than Maui I think. At least we hear more about it from Oahu than we do from the other islands, but that's true of most things here too.

Makena State Park is, as you might have guessed, a public park. Beautiful place..

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 9, 2015 at 7:32 am
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:14 am

But, I sure agree about your #3, the only reason I repeatedly stay there (for the part of my trips I'm not using VRBO) is the great location and the ability to stay free - that's free with no F&B spend and no resort fees - with all point award stays.

But, my main point was don't let some credit card cookie scheme stop you from reading the blog (let your other very good reasons suffice)
I'm so happy I stumbled upon this thread. You have a ton of great advice so thank you.

Are there good local restaurants near the Andaz (as in walking distance) with local food? I was under the impression that there are only the resort restaurants and the shopping center.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:24 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by queena427
I'm so happy I stumbled upon this thread. You have a ton of great advice so thank you.

Are there good local restaurants near the Andaz (as in walking distance) with local food? I was under the impression that there are only the resort restaurants and the shopping center.
Welcome to Flyertalk and the Hyatt Gold Passport forum ^
You can Uber it or use the house car within reasonable distance of the hotel to get anywhere you want
The Four Seasons has the best upscale Lunch an dinner options nearby iMHO
For walking distance the shopping center has lower priced casual restaurants
There are no fast food joints around thankfully that I remember which I personally appreciate
Anyone else care to chime in?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:06 pm

Sorely disappointed

This hotel is really below expectations in many ways. Service was lacking. No diamond recognition. Unfriendly staff and not knowledgeable. Very fake. Employees look like they don't want to be there. Nothing good about wasting 25k points here. I had much better experience in kaanapali Hyatt and park Hyatt Maldives. Did not feel welcome. Will not be back!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.