Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Football Fan
Well, we saw these plastic bottles, but nothing was explained to us.

Also, whoever designed the 2 mm high sinks and the showers deserves to be shot immediately (not 100 % serious, but they are ridiculous - form over function).
Sheesh. You're making it sound like the Hyatt Regency Phuket.

Will we get some dead animal pics soon?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Sheesh. You're making it sound like the Hyatt Regency Phuket.

Will we get some dead animal pics soon?
Possibly...some dead room designer pics! It's not just the bathroom...the whole light system is so incredibly stupid . Anyway, I'll continue the rant tomorrow .
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by spgplat21
If the resort fee included self or valet parking I would have little to no issues with it, but without including parking it seems like a pure money grab. I think $70/day worth of mandatory charges (assuming you bring a car) would leave a bad taste for me regardless of the other aspects of my stay.

But I'm sure the people that recommend these charges know a lot more about the hotel business than I do so I'm guessing they must not have that big of a negative impact on overall guest satisfaction.
They've come to believe that the resorts fee revenue exceeds the costs (if any) of alienating some segment of customers annoyed by the resort fee rip-offs. Given the nature of resort hotel demand and how much of their business comes from less-price-sensitive conference attendees and/or from once-in-a-lifetime visitors (if different), is anyone really surprised that this kind of thing is done at such a US hotel? [I don't see these fees popping up on my resort stays in the EU, but maybe I've just been lucky so far. Or maybe the governmental authorities aren't so willing everyhwere to tolerate such rip-offs.]

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 5, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Confused by the inclusion of the word "rental" in describing amenities included under the Resort Fee. Specifically, does the Resort Fee provide access to free use of bikes, kayaks and body boards, or does it provide access to rent them?
Exactly ! It sounds like $40 is the price of admission to be able to pay more to rent these things. They should just call it a rental retainer fee.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
They give you water bottles. There are several places around the resort to fill them.

The bottles were one of the nice touches that I really liked.
I have two of them at home, and I actually use one of them every day. The water bottles and refill stations are a great idea.

Well, we saw these plastic bottles, but nothing was explained to us.
They should have explained it all at checkin. Another big service failure from Andaz Maui.

Also, whoever designed the 2 mm high sinks and the showers deserves to be shot immediately (not 100 % serious, but they are ridiculous - form over function).

-David
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:15 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I have two of them at home, and I actually use one of them every day. The water bottles and refill stations are a great idea.
I use mine every weekday at my desk at work
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Any news if they are charging the resort fee for Diamonds on award stays?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:49 am
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Eagerly awaiting my visit

I just wanted to say that it is very nice to see Andaz Maui reaching out and posting in this forum. It is great to see a property try to get actively involved and respond to comments/questions.

I echo "777" in the fact that everyone I have spoken with at the property in advance of my travels has been very friendly and helpful.

As for the complaints about the resort fee - maybe it is just because I am based in Florida, but resort fees seem second nature to me and I have grown to expect them when traveling to tropical properties. It all comes down to the inclusions provided for that resort fee to determine if it is worth it; and, for what the Andaz appears to be offering, I think it sounds like an amazing value. For the snorkeling gear alone, a great value as this property sits directly next to a truly beautiful reef that is perfect for snorkeling. As a youth, we rented condos next door to where the Andaz has taken root and I learned to scuba dive on that very reef. The free snorkeling amenities in addition to all of the other inclusions sound like a great value.

Honestly, when you compare the resort and parking fees, the Andaz appears to be in line with everyone else:

-Grand Hyatt Kauai
Resort Fee: $25
Parking: $15 valet / free self
**but, note the resort fee does not include anywhere near as much as is included at the Andaz, and the property had room for a large self parking lot where-as Andaz does not.

-Hyatt Regency Maui
Resort Fee: $30
Parking: $20 valet / $16 self
**note, parking NOT included in the resort fee, which is quite common at Hyatt properties; also, the resort fee similarly does not include anywhere near as much as is included at the Andaz.

-Grand Wailea
Parking: $30 valet / no self parking
**similar to Andaz, parking is not included in the resort fee; the resort fee does not cover as much as the Andaz and the room rates are significantly higher than those at the Andaz

-Four Seasons Wailea
Resort Fee: NONE
Parking: $27 valet / no self parking
**note, although no "resort fee" per se, the hotel rates are significantly higher, so it has likely already been built into the rate

-Fairmont Kea Lani (Wailea)
Parking: $25 valet / self parking included in resort fee
**this appears to be the only luxury property offering free self parking in Wailea; but this could likely have been built into the significantly higher room rates at this property

So, when one compares the rates at the Hyatt properties in Hawaii, as well as the similar properties in Wailea, the resort fees and parking seem reasonable. So long as the resort fee is being explicitly disclosed and not being applied retroactively, I see no problem with it of any kind.

Now, a disclaimer - my stay is prior to the start of the resort fees, but I am still used to paying such fees everywhere I go in Florida, so had my stay been subject to the fees, it would not have bothered me.

I truly look forward to my stay and promise a review an update after my trip.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:16 am

This andaz (like most) was definitely form over function. It got to be comical... that said we had mixed service. . Some great, other times spotty or arogant. Had to carefully review folio during stay and afterwards had a surprise on Amex that wasn't on final folio ($300+ charge) that took several calls and over a week to fix. We'd probably stay here on award again only if fee is reduced or eliminated for award diamond stays. We will watch and see how things develop.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AttorneyVin

Now, a disclaimer - my stay is prior to the start of the resort fees, but I am still used to paying such fees everywhere I go in Florida, so had my stay been subject to the fees, it would not have bothered me.
Some of my clients have corporate rates for Florida and other Hyatt resort properties that come with both a waiver of the resort fees and a huge discount on the nightly rate compared to the BAR and AAA (and even deceased MyElite ) rates.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
This andaz (like most) was definitely form over function. It got to be comical... that said we had mixed service. . Some great, other times spotty or arogant. Had to carefully review folio during stay and afterwards had a surprise on Amex that wasn't on final folio ($300+ charge) that took several calls and over a week to fix. We'd probably stay here on award again only if fee is reduced or eliminated for award diamond stays. We will watch and see how things develop.
Spot on.

This is a great place with many good things going for it. Potential wow. however I have never come across such an arrogant staff.

Yesterday I walk to the beach and the too cool for cats guy (those who have been here know) looks at me, looks back at his iPod, picks a track and continues to listen. Don't worry about a towel for Mr Dewby he does not need one.

It is this service issue. Awful. Apart from that paradise.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:15 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by AttorneyVin
I just wanted to say that it is very nice to see Andaz Maui reaching out and posting in this forum. It is great to see a property try to get actively involved and respond to comments/questions.

I echo "777" in the fact that everyone I have spoken with at the property in advance of my travels has been very friendly and helpful.

As for the complaints about the resort fee - maybe it is just because I am based in Florida, but resort fees seem second nature to me and I have grown to expect them when traveling to tropical properties. It all comes down to the inclusions provided for that resort fee to determine if it is worth it; and, for what the Andaz appears to be offering, I think it sounds like an amazing value. For the snorkeling gear alone, a great value as this property sits directly next to a truly beautiful reef that is perfect for snorkeling. As a youth, we rented condos next door to where the Andaz has taken root and I learned to scuba dive on that very reef. The free snorkeling amenities in addition to all of the other inclusions sound like a great value.

Honestly, when you compare the resort and parking fees, the Andaz appears to be in line with everyone

So, when one compares the rates at the Hyatt properties in Hawaii, as well as the similar properties in Wailea, the resort fees and parking seem reasonable. So long as the resort fee is being explicitly disclosed and not being applied retroactively, I see no problem with it of any kind.

I truly look forward to my stay and promise a review an update after my trip.
Appreciate the post ,kind words and interesting overview of resort fee structures ^
Long before the new resort fee surfaced I shared with the property that more important than add on costs
and up charges is the actual experience during the stay
Does the hotel bring value and wow factor to make the costs insignificant
I've never regretted higher costs when the stay was truly excellent and my Diamond recognition met or exceeded my expectations
I do have concerns after reading some of the posts here but I am remaining optimistic and will share my own assessment through a variety of social media channels including our FT Hyatt GP community here sometime after departure
In closing sometime putting out a positive energy and a smile to a hardworking team
gets you marvelous service back in return
With rare exception I find kindness and passion at so many properties around the world
and so many random acts of kindness sometimes from the properties u least suspect to deliver
But failures can and do exist no matter how many rose colored sunglasses you wear
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 7, 2015 at 12:23 am
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:24 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Appreciate the post ,kind words and interesting overview of resort fee structures ^
Long before the new resort fee surfaced I shared with the property that more important than add on costs
and up charges is the actual experience during the stay
Does the hotel bring value and wow factor to make the costs insignificant
I've never regretted higher costs when the stay was truly excellent and my Diamond recognition met or exceeded my expectations
I do have concerns after reading some of the posts here but I am remaining optimistic and will share my own assessment through a variety of social media channels including our FT Hyatt GP community here sometime after departure
In closing sometime putting out a positive energy and a smile to a hardworking team
gets you marvelous service back in return
With rare exception I find kindness and passion at so many properties around the world
and so many random acts of kindness sometimes from the properties u least suspect to deliver
But failures can and do exist no matter how many rose colored sunglasses you wear
Cheers
Great words, true in many circumstances.

I also hoped, so hoped this to be the case but here it just seems to be spoilt by a few staff. Never experienced the attitude before. I can not recall the OP who said too cool for cats but it is bang on.

My surprise is the valet parking team, they are real good and focus on customer service. A lot of the others I feel would rather be in the pool with the guests, in fact some probably are.

I won't return regardless of the good points.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by dewby
On the juice guy at breakfast. What a total arrogant s*^t. Honestly. This guy should not work in the hospitality business. If you don't like customers get out is my advice.
That guy just seems weird. Never smiles, just stands there. When I asked him to make me an apple ginger juice, he tried to point me towards the few pre-made bottles of juice, but then he complied. Just seems a bit lost, more than anything.

I agree with your comments about some of the staff, although others are very nice and friendly.

Overall, we are enjoying our stay here so far, despite the above and despite some feeling of "stingyness" (minibar, weird breakfast policy) and despite some weird things in the room setup. Nice pools and surroundings.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:39 am

That guy just seems weird. Never smiles, just stands there. When I asked him to make me an apple ginger juice, he tried to point me towards the few pre-made bottles of juice, but then he complied. Just seems a bit lost, more than anything.

I agree with your comments about some of the staff, although others are very nice and friendly.

Overall, we are enjoying our stay here so far, despite the above and despite some feeling of "stingyness" (minibar, weird breakfast policy) and despite some weird things in the room setup. Nice pools and surroundings.
Yup. The girl working in the fruit area is super nice. There are some super friendly employees. However there some super crappy ones.

Maui is magical for sure. if I come back I guess I will seek alternative digs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.