Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I have been a Diamond member for about 2 years now and I have never heard of this complimentary spa access for diamonds......

The Hyatt website doesn't list this as a diamond benefit, is this some type of un-written rule of diamond membership? How do you know if you will be charged or not?
Ask them?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Ask them?
Brilliant! Will do.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:56 pm
Company Representative, Maui Andaz

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Great to hear!
You are making me less concerned about my stay!
I'll reserve comments till after my stay @ Andaz Maui.The folks I have been in touch with there seem remarkable
but Park Hyatt Vienna had real wow factor to me with suite upgrades unlike Park Hyatt New York which I thought was attractive but below average in many ways.
Even the non suites were lovely at Park Hyatt Vienna
We're looking forward to welcoming you to our 'ohana!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:58 pm

Aloha! The resort fee is also not retroactive. Those who have current reservations will not be charged a resort fee. They can opt in to have full access, but that’s a personal decision. The program was announced yesterday for all reservations made after April 2nd. The resort fee will be applicable for stays after June 1.

Last edited by Andaz Maui; Apr 2, 2015 at 9:28 pm Reason: adjustment
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I'm surprised quite frankly on a number of counts
First the property had no resort fees and now mandatory fees suddenly proposed
Second retroactive resort fees? I've never heard of that
Third its one thing to start out at $20 or $25 a night but $40? Really do I hear 75 a night down the road?
For a moment I thought it was an April Fools Joke

I certainly in my decades with Hyatt thought I have seen just about every good and bad examples of business behavior
but this takes the prize for real bad judgment in recent memory.
I'd highly question the legality from a lawyers perspective.
Would certainly not be the least bit surprised if the property gets sued for the non disclosed change to what essentially is a good faith written and agreed upon contract in advance.
It sure seems like the hotel is setting itself up. Hopefully the hotel consulted with a few Hyatt lawyers for their own sake/risk exposure

I booked two rooms on Cash and Points.
Just got in under the deadline for the new nuisance fee
My instinct says the policy is property driven with Hyatt going along with the bizarre policy to make the owners happy
at the expense of Hyatt's customers and typically wise decision making.
I heard the property is doing well so this is all the more surprising that they are taking it to the extreme

I'm trying to stay optimistic for my upcoming stay but starting to think I should have booked the older Hyatt which has never been confrontational with policies in my memories.
This is now two serious strikes IMHO
Hoping my stay goes much better than their obviously flawed policy making
I'm prepared to go to the Four Seasons or Fairmont if it doesn't go reasonably well.
Aloha,
Beginning today (April 2, 2015) for new reservations booked for travel from June 1, 2015 a resort fee of $40 per day will be added to the daily rate. As an Andaz we strive to listen to our guests and evolve to their needs and wants. Since opening in 2013 one of the comments we keep hearing is that people don’t want to be “nickle and dimed” throughout their stay. We want our guests to arrive a visitor and depart a local and we’re excited to launch a resort fee experience like no other. Guests won’t just get local calls and wifi, they’ll receive beach activities, cultural experiences, fitness classes and the tools to capture your Maui memories. We estimate the value at about $350+ per person, per day, if a guest takes advantage of the offerings (full list of inclusions can be seen here >> http://maui.andaz.hyatt.com/en/hotel...ee-policy.html.

The resort fee is also not retroactive. Those who have current reservations will not be charged a resort fee. They can opt in to have full access, but that’s a personal decision. We would never start a new program without full disclosure. The program was announced yesterday for all reservations made after April 2nd. The resort fee will be applicable for stays after June 1. I hope this helps clarify and we look forward to welcoming you to the resort!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Andaz Maui
We're looking forward to welcoming you to our 'ohana!
Thank you for the Ohana welcome. One of my complaints is that no-one in reception ever mentioned that the Ohana Lounge was available. As we had to wait several hours until our room was ready, I really thought that this act of omission was a great dis-service. The Ohana Lounge is the perfect place to change into swim suits, freshen up, take a shower. There are even lockers. We found out about this very welcoming Ohana Lounge almost by accident. I believe it is one floor down from lobby level. It is a lovely lounge. Had we been notified during check in of this Lounge, we would have changed into our swimsuits and enjoyed 3 more hours in the sun at the glorious pools. I was there in February and am returning in September.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Thank you for the Ohana welcome. One of my complaints is that no-one in reception ever mentioned that the Ohana Lounge was available. As we had to wait several hours until our room was ready, I really thought that this act of omission was a great dis-service. The Ohana Lounge is the perfect place to change into swim suits, freshen up, take a shower. There are even lockers. We found out about this very welcoming Ohana Lounge almost by accident. I believe it is one floor down from lobby level. It is a lovely lounge. Had we been notified during check in of this Lounge, we would have changed into our swimsuits and enjoyed 3 more hours in the sun at the glorious pools. I was there in February and am returning in September.
The only reason we found it was because we were staying in the pool suite very close by. A very neat little place to kick back in.

What I really wish they would have told us about were the free laundry facilities (at the time free...wouldn't be surprised if they charged for them now), which I only found out about by reading this thread during the last night of our stay, resulting in a mad rush to do laundry after 11pm.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aloha! The resort fee is also not retroactive. Those who have current reservations will not be charged a resort fee. They can opt in to have full access, but that’s a personal decision. The program was announced yesterday for all reservations made after April 2nd. The resort fee will be applicable for stays after June 1.
AFTER April 2nd. It's still April 2nd in Hawaii, so you all still have a few hours remaining to make a reservation without resort fees.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UN Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Aloha,
Beginning today (April 2, 2015) for new reservations booked for travel from June 1, 2015 a resort fee of $40 per day will be added to the daily rate. As an Andaz we strive to listen to our guests and evolve to their needs and wants. Since opening in 2013 one of the comments we keep hearing is that people don’t want to be “nickle and dimed” throughout their stay. We want our guests to arrive a visitor and depart a local and we’re excited to launch a resort fee experience like no other. Guests won’t just get local calls and wifi, they’ll receive beach activities, cultural experiences, fitness classes and the tools to capture your Maui memories. We estimate the value at about $350+ per person, per day, if a guest takes advantage of the offerings (full list of inclusions can be seen here >> http://maui.andaz.hyatt.com/en/hotel...ee-policy.html.

The resort fee is also not retroactive. Those who have current reservations will not be charged a resort fee. They can opt in to have full access, but that’s a personal decision. We would never start a new program without full disclosure. The program was announced yesterday for all reservations made after April 2nd. The resort fee will be applicable for stays after June 1. I hope this helps clarify and we look forward to welcoming you to the resort!
Don't you mean OPT OUT?? Reservation was made in December 2014. How is this NOT retroactive??? **COUGH COUGH**

While it is just $40 for ukulele lessons, I'd rather spend the 23.5% increase in cost on sushi from Morimoto.

Last edited by jepiv; Apr 3, 2015 at 7:08 am Reason: Edited screen shot
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:46 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jepiv
Don't you mean OPT OUT?? Reservation was made in December 2014. How is this NOT retroactive??? **COUGH COUGH**
Can you read? They are saying for reservations already made you won't be charged, however you can opt in to take up the resort fee benefits if you wish.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Aloha,

Is opting out of the fee an option?

As a Diamond, I already receive free wifi, and as a guest I use none of the services covered by the fees (correct, I don't sit on the beach, at the pool, use the spa or fitness center, nor take advantage of any of the cultural options). I'm pretty much in the ocean all day (using my own scuba or snorkel gear) or driving to various activity locations around the island.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UN Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Can you read? They are saying for reservations already made you won't be charged, however you can opt in to take up the resort fee benefits if you wish.
Yes. I can read. But if I have the choice to opt-in, it should not ALREADY be reflected in my PREVIOUSLY made reservation. Both Award Wallet and my Hyatt.com account show a NEW total. Meaning when I check in, I have to opt OUT. Can YOU read?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by jepiv
But if I have the choice to opt-in, it should not ALREADY be reflected in my PREVIOUSLY made reservation. Both Award Wallet and my Hyatt.com account show a NEW total. Meaning when I check in, I have to opt OUT.
Agreed, the burden for arguing this should not be on you. As the system automatically shows that you have to pay it, you will have to argue with them and explain to them that you made the reservation before they introduced this rip-off fee, which you should not have to.

On another note, regarding the breakfast, is my understanding correct that one can upgrade to the full (unlimited) breakfast for $ 17 more per person?

We will be checking in tomorrow and I am curious whether they indeed have botched it with the suite upgrade, as the reservation seems to indicate when I open it on goldpassport.com.

It used to have the description for the Partial Oceanview Suite, for which I have a confirmation e-mail, confirming my Diamond Suite Upgrade.

Now it reads "Room Description: Here views of Maui's eternal mountain landmark greet you from your private balcony...", which is the description for the most basic room.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Football Fan

We will be checking in tomorrow and I am curious whether they indeed have botched it with the suite upgrade, as the reservation seems to indicate when I open it on goldpassport.com.
Why worry about it, instead of doing something about it? I would call the front office / rooms manager tonight and discuss how they manage the block... and again call in the morning to confirm you've been blocked correctly.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:01 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Good Morning Flyer Talkers!

There's been a lot of conversation around the resort fee implementation at Andaz Maui at Wailea, and we wanted to take this opportunity to clarify some misinformation. The hotel is not applying a Resort Fee retroactively. A Resort Fee will be applied to any new reservations booked beginning April 2, 2015 for arrival after June 1, 2015.

If the reservation was booked April 1, 2015 or earlier, a resort fee will not apply, however, the guest will have the option to opt in and pay the Rresort Fee, which will give the guest access hotels amenities, including GoPro gear, Outrigger excursion, snorkel rental, yoga and pilates classes, bike rental, kayak rental, and more. For more information on the Resort Fee, please visit the hotel's website. We look forward to welcoming you to Andaz Maui at Wailea!

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.