Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Football Fan
Thanks for that...really makes me want to reconsider going there. We have a reservation around easter. Might change to one of the LHW properties in Oahu.
It's certainly better than the Hyatt Regency Phuket property that you at least seemed to tolerate...although your review was the impetus for us to abandon the Phuket plans in favor of Maui, so it would be a weird full circle if recent reviews led you to abandon Maui!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:36 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Football Fan
Thanks for that...really makes me want to reconsider going there. We have a reservation around easter. Might change to one of the LHW properties in Oahu.
I don't think I'd give up Andaz Maui in favor of Oahu. It's a totally different vibe. I've been to the Hawaiian islands dozens of times over the past decade, and I can't think of a single hotel on Oahu I'd take over Andaz Maui, and very few on other islands. Yes, there have been issues on every stay I've had, and their recent Diamond-hostile policies (w/r/t suite upgrades and breakfast) are bizarre. You're a seasoned traveler and you will find that the hotel isn't as spectacular as many of the exuberant posts (here, on blogs, and TA) make it sound. However, by Hawaiian standards, it is a VERY solid choice -- genuinely friendly staff, great location, not old and run-down, and, perhaps most importantly, relatively un-crowded and relaxing. The bottom line (to me) is that on C&P with DSU (as well as the 4-4-2 opening rates), Andaz Maui has been spectacular value that's very hard to match at any other hotel in Hawaii. Thus, if you hold a C&P/DSU reservation, I'd encourage you to keep it. If, however, you're paying $600/nt and/or were unable to reserve a suite, I'd consider other options.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:01 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by jpdx
I don't think I'd give up Andaz Maui in favor of Oahu. It's a totally different vibe. I've been to the Hawaiian islands dozens of times over the past decade, and I can't think of a single hotel on Oahu I'd take over Andaz Maui, and very few on other islands. Yes, there have been issues on every stay I've had, and their recent Diamond-hostile policies (w/r/t suite upgrades and breakfast) are bizarre. You're a seasoned traveler and you will find that the hotel isn't as spectacular as many of the exuberant posts (here, on blogs, and TA) make it sound. However, by Hawaiian standards, it is a VERY solid choice -- genuinely friendly staff, great location, not old and run-down, and, perhaps most importantly, relatively un-crowded and relaxing. The bottom line (to me) is that on C&P with DSU (as well as the 4-4-2 opening rates), Andaz Maui has been spectacular value that's very hard to match at any other hotel in Hawaii. Thus, if you hold a C&P/DSU reservation, I'd encourage you to keep it. If, however, you're paying $600/nt and/or were unable to reserve a suite, I'd consider other options.
+1 - I consider Oahu/HNL to be a city in a very nice location with a different feel from the outer islands. I don't really know all the properties in HNL but would not think of the HR Waikiki in the same way as the Andaz Maui, GH Kauai, or even the HR Maui.

Yes, I find the stance that the Andaz is taking to be very strange - recently I tried to get a suite on awards for late Aug 2015 and was told not available but DSU was - unwilling to pay the about $500 a night rates, I searched online and did a BRG (my first ever) for under $300 and applied the DSU (I consider this to be a better deal than P&C that I did for 2014 which they no longer participate in).
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Thanks for this great post.

Yes, we indeed hold a C&P/DSU reservation (and we're flying all the way over from Europe on a good flight deal in long-haul C/AA "F"). So it is most likely that we will follow your advice (although we also have about 12 free nights at LHW properties to use before next fall, and they have two properties in Oahu which look fairly nice). I just hate it when hotels adopt policies that are clearly hostile towards frequent travelers and try to nickel-and-dime them. But friends of mine have stayed at the Andaz Maui and liked it, and we have been to several other Andaz hotels and always quite liked them (especially West Hollywood and San Diego, however, one of the positive aspects of both of these is that they are very generous with the breakfast for Diamonds and it is very good in both these places - so it is even more disappointing that apparently the management at this hotel has taken the opposite route). But you are probably exactly right with your advice...it's still a good deal, I guess.

Then again, we are so spoiled right now, being at Conrad Maldives and soon at Conrad Koh Samui that I hope my wife will not be disappointed by Hawaii .

Still looking into doing a day trip or possibly a two-day excursion to the Big Island, as my wife has never been to anywhere in Hawaii.

Originally Posted by hailstorm
It's certainly better than the Hyatt Regency Phuket property that you at least seemed to tolerate...although your review was the impetus for us to abandon the Phuket plans in favor of Maui, so it would be a weird full circle if recent reviews led you to abandon Maui!
- we will check out the Conrad Koh Samui in comparison the Hyatt Regency Phuket next week - I think I know the winner already .

Originally Posted by peteropny
+1 - I consider Oahu/HNL to be a city in a very nice location with a different feel from the outer islands. I don't really know all the properties in HNL but would not think of the HR Waikiki in the same way as the Andaz Maui, GH Kauai, or even the HR Maui.

Yes, I find the stance that the Andaz is taking to be very strange - recently I tried to get a suite on awards for late Aug 2015 and was told not available but DSU was - unwilling to pay the about $500 a night rates, I searched online and did a BRG (my first ever) for under $300 and applied the DSU (I consider this to be a better deal than P&C that I did for 2014 which they no longer participate in).
Thanks - I wasn't thinking of the HR Waikiki, but, if any, the Halekulani or the Kahala (I have LHW Unlimited Status and we have several free nights to spend...). One thing I am thinking about is whether it would be possible to cut the C+P reservation at the Andaz a few nights short and then spend a few nights at one of those two LHW properties on free nights...but maybe they won't let us "touch" the C+P reservation anyway...
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:50 pm

Andaz Maui versus Oahu Options

If indeed you have some LHW free nights available, you may want to consider the Halekulani. The service is probably the best in Hawaii (along with the Four Seasons on the Big Island).

Although I have not stayed at the Andaz Maui yet, some close friends stayed a few months ago and indicated it was wonderful, with a beautiful hard product, though the overall experience, especially with regard to service and food, is not of the same caliber as the Four Seasons Maui or the Halekulani.

As others have mentioned, Oahu, and Waikiki in particular, do not offer the same experience as Maui. If you like nightlife and a lot of action, Waikiki can be a lot of fun. Fortunately, the Halekulani guarantees a poolside oasis if you become weary of the action on the beach.

You could also split your stay on Oahu between the Kahala and the Halekulani, that way you would get the Waikiki experience as well as more of a grand, expansive resort experience. The Kahala also gets rave reviews.

Personally, if you can't do both, I would still pick Maui over Oahu. If, however, the quality of the hotel is more important to you, go for the Halekulani and/or the Kahala.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have been to Hawaii many times.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:49 am

+1 I agree wholeheartedly. While I do not travel as frequently as many of you, thanks to FT and blogs, I have stayed at my fair share of nice resorts. While I would not pay $600/night for the admittedly cozy sized rooms, for P&C or points redemptions, I think Andaz Maui is a phenomenal option. Sure, I could probably stay somewhere with a better breakfast or larger rooms in Asia or the Maldives. But for someone who cannot travel to distant places very readily, I think Andaz is a great option. The view is spectacular, it's not crowded and the service is top notch.

When you follow FT and the blogs regularly, I think it's easy to lose a bit of perspective. Many of us are looking for the best possible cpm or redemption. But it's important to remember what purpose the miles/points serve. For me, it's allowing my family to travel to places we would not normally visit or stay in places we would not otherwise pay for. When I view this hobby from that perspective, places like Andaz Maui are great. It's mildly disappointing when you compare it to what they used to offer or what other hotels offer, but if you appreciate it for what it is, it's spectacular. Look at the glass half full and you'll enjoy your trip much more.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by calflygirl
While I would not pay $600/night for the admittedly cozy sized rooms, for P&C or points redemptions, I think Andaz Maui is a phenomenal option.
Agree 100%.

Don't forget to keep your eye out for BRG options. Recently I was able to lower a $629/night cash rate here to a far more reasonable $377 via a successful BRG claim. Hyatt's price match + 20% of the difference makes quite a dent in the rate.

Hopefully this helps someone who is hoping to experience this property!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jason_stn21
Agree 100%.

Don't forget to keep your eye out for BRG options. Recently I was able to lower a $629/night cash rate here to a far more reasonable $377 via a successful BRG claim. Hyatt's price match + 20% of the difference makes quite a dent in the rate.

Hopefully this helps someone who is hoping to experience this property!
Hi. Could you give me a tip on where you found the BRG for andaz Maui.

Cheers dewby
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:58 pm

Check the Hyatt BRG thread for more info. Lots of options to search for the lowest posted rate out there and when you find one submit the claim form on the Hyatt website. Good luck!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:45 am

About to begin my third stay - but my first stay as a Diamond.

What amenities should I expect as a Diamond at this property? Maybe we could sticky that at the front of the thread!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by mreplus
About to begin my third stay - but my first stay as a Diamond.

What amenities should I expect as a Diamond at this property? Maybe we could sticky that at the front of the thread!
My experience was nothing other than the choice of 1,000 points or a house amenity. I took points so I don't know what the amenity would be. This hotel does minimal Diamond recognition so I wouldn't expect much.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:49 pm

Does this hotel still have the lemonade at the reception area?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by pickles1107
Does this hotel still have the lemonade at the reception area?
I am drinking it right now -- so yes!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mreplus
I am drinking it right now -- so yes!
Do Diamond members just get the pantry version of the lemonade?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by thucanhho
Do Diamond members just get the pantry version of the lemonade?
Hah I miss the old breakfast so we did it this morning. Sad to leave later tonight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.