Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Several nationalities expect kettles to make tea with.
Yes. I once offended a staff member at a London hotel by asking for a hot water heater to make coffee to go with packets that were in the room. We went in circles for two minutes with her claiming not to understand my request until she finally relented and said, "oh, you want the tea making facility!"
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I just got back from a 3 night stay at the Andaz Maui. This was my third stay at this property. I used a suite award and was given a partial ocean view room on the second floor. Having stayed at this resort as a Diamond previously, I was extremely disappointed with the devaluation of Diamond benefits.

My last two stays, I was treated extremely well and as a result ignored some of the glitches in the service. This stay, I felt like I was being nickeled and dimed throughout the entire stay. It all started with the pantry only breakfast option for Diamonds and ended with not getting credited for F&B spend for third party outlets within the property. I spend $1500 at the property including $600 at Morimoto and they refused to credit me!!! I also found out that the spa is no longer free unless you have a treatment scheduled. They are giving Diamonds 10% off on treatments (wooohoo!). I am really bummed out to find out that they are no longer honoring P&C awards :-(
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
When has any Hyatt credited for spend at third party properties on site?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Maybe I should have been more clear. The hotel is referring to my F&B spend at the hotel restaurants (including room service) as third party property spend. I have never been denied points for F&B spend any a Hyatt.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by ksotoodeh
I also found out that the spa is no longer free unless you have a treatment scheduled. They are giving Diamonds 10% off on treatments (wooohoo!). I am really bummed out to find out that they are no longer honoring P&C awards :-(
So they went from free spa use for the stay to a spa voucher for one use to no spa use at all? This place has really gone down the toilet fast. Definitely not returning at this point..
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by exmike
So they went from free spa use for the stay to a spa voucher for one use to no spa use at all? This place has really gone down the toilet fast. Definitely not returning at this point..
You hit the nail on the head.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
I have a paid stay at this property in April.

All this stuff on how everything is nickel and dimed and the perceived targeting of Diamonds is worrying.

I think I will be watching very closely and decide closer to the date on if I stay.

So disappointing to here as I was really looking forward to it.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

They simply want more revenue..... Cutting all those Diamond benefits to the bare minimum is a sign of that. I thought even with the full benefits and a decent upgrade the rates were decent but high already. Now it's worse, only you cam decide if it's worth it.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dewby
I have a paid stay at this property in April.

All this stuff on how everything is nickel and dimed and the perceived targeting of Diamonds is worrying.

I think I will be watching very closely and decide closer to the date on if I stay.

So disappointing to here as I was really looking forward to it.
Try to remember that it's all relative. While they may have started to "nickel and dime" Diamonds, that doesn't change the fact that it is a beautiful property in a beautiful location with awesome food and facilities.

You'll have to try really hard to have a bad time there.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Try to remember that it's all relative. While they may have started to "nickel and dime" Diamonds, that doesn't change the fact that it is a beautiful property in a beautiful location with awesome food and facilities.

You'll have to try really hard to have a bad time there.
i think this is the point. 500-600 usd per night is a high price if the place is getting you with every single cent. They will be charging for towels next.

My point is, the more i hear the less attractive it becomes, i take some things with a pinch of salt but other things disturb me slightly. I really like the service i receive at Hyatt in general but some of the things i hear about this place just makes me think four seasons is only 100 usd more and with a virtuoso booking my stay is less bothersome.

I am sure i will have a great time here, as you said difficult not too but irritating that the hotel maybe letting the brand down.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by dewby
i think this is the point. 500-600 usd per night is a high price if the place is getting you with every single cent. They will be charging for towels next.

My point is, the more i hear the less attractive it becomes, i take some things with a pinch of salt but other things disturb me slightly. I really like the service i receive at Hyatt in general but some of the things i hear about this place just makes me think four seasons is only 100 usd more and with a virtuoso booking my stay is less bothersome.

I am sure i will have a great time here, as you said difficult not too but irritating that the hotel maybe letting the brand down.
^^this. Not to mention that the Four Seasons is a true luxury resort. For what it is, Andaz is fine but I don't consider it a luxury hotel by any definition of the world luxury. I've stayed at the Andaz and at the Four Seasons. The service is far better at the Four Seasons. It's just a totally different vibe. The Andaz is trying too hard to be cool, yet not trying hard enough to please loyal guests.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:59 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
FYI: New GM change. Transition underway now. All I know. Replaced by someone with last name Scott.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 10, 2015 at 12:36 pm
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by l'etoile
FYI: New GM change. Transition underway now. All I know. Replaced by someone with last name Scott.
Wonder what the chances are of them reassessing some of the takeaways...
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
^^this. Not to mention that the Four Seasons is a true luxury resort. For what it is, Andaz is fine but I don't consider it a luxury hotel by any definition of the world luxury. I've stayed at the Andaz and at the Four Seasons. The service is far better at the Four Seasons. It's just a totally different vibe. The Andaz is trying too hard to be cool, yet not trying hard enough to please loyal guests.
I've stayed at both (the Andaz recently) and totally agree with you.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pickles1107
Wonder what the chances are of them reassessing some of the takeaways...
Probably a higher chance that they will accelerate the takeaways...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.