Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Is Hyatt sympathetic to refunding a non-refundable stay because of serious illness?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Hyatt sympathetic to refunding a non-refundable stay because of serious illness?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:26 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Several people have given examples of cancellations beyond their control, eg, a snow storm, but these are different because they weren't entirely predictable either.

In my opinion, if you are already thinking of reasons why you would have to cancel, then you shouldn't book a non-refundable rate.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Scottrick
Several people have given examples of cancellations beyond their control, eg, a snow storm, but these are different because they weren't entirely predictable either.

In my opinion, if you are already thinking of reasons why you would have to cancel, then you shouldn't book a non-refundable rate.
Exactly!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:00 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I have had luck and was unlucky.

It usually helps, if you are not going to fully cancel but ask them to move the non flexible stay to another date, where this rate is available as well. I always call the hotel instead of using the online system.

I was lucky to cancel two stays just a few hours after I made it (mixed up the dates) and habe been a at this hotel afew times before and after this time.

Regarding the question of the OP, in the time my grandparents were not in very good condition, I always had booked fully flexible rates - just in case.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Yes, the OP could call the hotel and ask for an exception to the rate rules, but that is essentially begging for special treatment.

I too have benefited from cancellations beyond the deadline and no charge on non-refundable rates for circumstances out of my control, but at the time of the making the reservation I was always pretty close to 100% sure that I would complete the stay. If I thought there was more than a 10% chance that I would have to cancel, I would not select such a rate.
The OP could just ask for a rate at the same price as noted in the OP that allows for cancellation on the day of arrival itself up to some specified time. The hotel could then decide whether or not it wants to provide such a booking.

Customized rate rules are a possibility to get before confirming the booking.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by philemer
my M-I-L, aged 95, is not in good health and it is possible we will have to cancel our trip.
Hopefully your M-I-L gets back to better health.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Thanks to those who shared their personal experiences with delays & cancellations. I think it's best for us to wait until a few days before travel & hope the low rate is still available. If not, I do have a refundable rez. at the reunion hotel so we won't have to sleep on the street. I will also look into travel ins. policies.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Glad it worked out, and the Hyatt hotel treated you like a valued customer!

For myself, a trip got delayed a day going out at another hotel chain.. Fairmont Orchid.. They were gracious to bump me a day ahead.. when I arrived, I extended my stay another 6 nights. I knew that the rate was refundable but they were gracious.

Nowadays, it may be false confidence, but I do book hotels on noncancellable rates, because my Amex has trip insurance. As hotels in Hawaii, where I often book ahead, is non-cancellable within 14 days or so, I have to rely on my cc insurance anyways. I use Amex gold which gives me double the points, but a bit less insurance than my platinum card which gives me 1.25 points per mile.
Yes, it was very nice of the hotel to go ahead and do that for us, but I definitely wasn't expecting it...just figured I'd ask to see what they would say. My family and I enjoy that particular hotel, and we stay there as often as we can throughout the year. I had never before then (or since then) asked for a refund on a prepaid rate from a hotel, so it isn't something that I would imagine myself asking for again unless another major incident occurred that made us unable to arrive.

The only other time that I asked for something extra was when I had several nights at a Hyatt property in Orlando (Grand Cypress) booked and prepaid for on a family vacation in which we missed our first night due to a delayed flight, and having to stay overnight in Atlanta. The only thing I asked for at that time was to receive points on the prepaid amount for that first night that we missed, which even though they weren't required to do (since I hadn't checked in), they still went ahead and gave them to me. Other than that, I've never been too picky with Hyatt since they've always treated us well. ^
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Scottrick

+1, its 1 thing if out of the blue something comes up, be it weather or flight CXed or car accident and thusly not being able to make it 'that' night to the hotel. Its way different when months in advance you think you may have something more important that will prevent your arrival months from now.

For these kind of times I like booking with pts for a free night just make sure you note the CX policy so you dont get caught not being able to get out of it. Then when the day is close at hand I will recheck the rates to see if it now pays to keep the award stay or to book a pd night
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Thanks to those who shared their personal experiences with delays & cancellations. I think it's best for us to wait until a few days before travel & hope the low rate is still available. If not, I do have a refundable rez. at the reunion hotel so we won't have to sleep on the street. I will also look into travel ins. policies.
You could make a flexible booking at the Hyatt, and then continue to watch for lower rates closer to your stay dates.

I agree that you should not book a non-refundable reservation if you might need to cancel.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by carnalismocc
Yes, it was very nice of the hotel to go ahead and do that for us, but I definitely wasn't expecting it...just figured I'd ask to see what they would say. My family and I enjoy that particular hotel, and we stay there as often as we can throughout the year. I had never before then (or since then) asked for a refund on a prepaid rate from a hotel, so it isn't something that I would imagine myself asking for again unless another major incident occurred that made us unable to arrive.

The only other time that I asked for something extra was when I had several nights at a Hyatt property in Orlando (Grand Cypress) booked and prepaid for on a family vacation in which we missed our first night due to a delayed flight, and having to stay overnight in Atlanta. The only thing I asked for at that time was to receive points on the prepaid amount for that first night that we missed, which even though they weren't required to do (since I hadn't checked in), they still went ahead and gave them to me. Other than that, I've never been too picky with Hyatt since they've always treated us well. ^
How was the Grand Cypress? I've got an extended stay booked for Spring Break.

On another note to OP.. Is the prepaid rate that much different from other flexible rates. Maybe find a friend with a AAA membership, and work them in as a guest in the mean time until you're comfortable locking in with prepaid. If extra $20 per night, why quibble?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
How was the Grand Cypress? I've got an extended stay booked for Spring Break.
The Grand Cypress was great! We stayed in Florida the first week and half of May, with five nights booked at the Grand Cypress (although we only ended up staying four nights because of missing that first night), and then moved on for another five nights at the Hyatt in Clearwater Beach (also very nice.)

The kids loved it there and there were plenty of activities to keep us busy, and the location was good to get to Disney as well. Since I only average about 15 Hyatt stays per year, I only hold platinum status, but we're usually pretty lucky in at least being upgraded to a room with a better view (or sometimes Regency Club access.) I had us booked in a standard "Buena Vista Double" room, but they upgraded us to a "Pool View" instead. Since we had to stay in Atlanta the first night of our trip because of the delayed original flight out of Seattle, we arrived in Orlando very early that morning (about 8am), so I called the hotel and explained to them that I had prepaid for the previous night, but had not arrived because of the flight. They told me that they would have our room ready on arrival and they did.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I had a three day prepaid stay booked at the Hyatt Fair Lakes when my father passed away. I contacted them and explained and they promptly refunded me for the stay. It depends on the hotel and how nicely you ask I suppose. I have stayed at the property a number of times and I suppose that helped.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DCann
I'm sorry to hear that your MIL is not in good health but it's good that she seems well enough to make the trip in October at this point if all things stay equal. I would recommend you consider trip insurance given the circumstances and that would cover your cancellation. The small expenditure is warranted given the possibility that she might not remain able to go.
Trip insurance typically won't cover preexisting conditions.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I suspect that if the OP had already booked the non-refundable rate with the property and then had to unexpectedly cancel to deal with his M-I-L, he would get a much different response.

There's a saying about 'if you have to ask, you already know the answer.' If I were the OP, I would go ahead and book the non-refundable rate and then hope I don't have to change it or hope for leniency. But I wouldn't ask FT to validate my decision.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.