Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt and MGM Resorts Announce New Loyalty Program Relationship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt and MGM Resorts Announce New Loyalty Program Relationship

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by gooselee
It's just a cut the line pass. Still need to pay for the buffet unless it's been comped through other means.
I love the ability to earn and redeem(though I will never redeem) But, the M Life benefits are s bit of s joke IMO.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickjanak
This is awsome news. I have a "newbie Las Vegas question"
On M Life Platinum loyalty program one of the benefits is complementery buffet pass line. I understand that your able to enter the VIP portion of the line but does that also include the buffet being free or do you have to still pay for it?
Line pass can be as valuable as the buffet. Hour long waits are not unusual during peak time.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by TerryK
Line pass can be as valuable as the buffet. Hour long waits are not unusual during peak time.
For a seasoned traveller, this is no issue........

There are too many options in Vegas to waste time on a buffet line..

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Jun 7, 2013 at 5:47 am
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA Mileage+, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, IHG Rewards Club, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport
Will be in Aria June 17th & 18th

I am a GP platinum. I would be staying in Aria June 17th and 18th. Sad that I would miss the GP benefits.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by mrredskin
I would have thought NOIR would be matched to Diamond
Same, but I doubt you'll find too many noir holders who care much about Hyatt Diamond.

Originally Posted by gbearbuck
agreed. I have status with Caesars and they now ding me the full resort fee even on fully comped stays (Caesars resort fee is fairly new... started several months ago).
Wow, time to find a new prop to take your business to. Most MGM properties appear to comp resort fees based on posts on this and other forums, and Cosmo comps resort fees on all my stays. I do agree that Hyatt Diamonds are certainly not getting their resort fees comped, though, and all HGP'ers should expect to get hit by the resort fees even on HGP award stays. This is the sad state of Vegas these days.

Originally Posted by jarusoba
This is meh to me. I don't go to Vegas unless I have to, because I hate Vegas. Let's hope those gamble addicts (MLife elites) wouldn't dilute too much of our Diamond benefits.
I wouldn't worry much about Diamond overpopulation since there's no freebie in that direction. Plus, it remains to be seen if the loyalty program will allow double-dipping for comp stays. (As a data point, Marriott doesn't allow this with Cosmo - and I find it unlikely it will work with the MGM-Hyatt relationship either.) If it doesn't, then you don't have anything to worry about, since anyone who stays at an MGM prop frequently enough that it could make a difference in getting Hyatt Diamond is probably getting a lot of those MGM nights comped.

If there's anything you should worry about, it's that this relationship could give an additional avenue to those who are already interested in obtaining Hyatt Diamond for as cheaply as possible - especially to those who have access to the Las Vegas market, as Vegas currently has just a single HGP property. Bottom line is people who are already in mlife are just not going to make an impact on Diamond.

As far as "gambling addicts", I get enough tier credits in a lazy afternoon of gambling to make mlife plat. Of course, maybe that makes me more of an addict in your eyes than even previously. One thing's for sure though, the vast vast majority of mlife "elites" didn't get their status because their companies paid for it.*

Originally Posted by gooselee
I have MLife Platinum and do not gamble very much. Most of my tier credits come from resort spend and business meals during conferences.

I'm likely the minority in that respect, but be aware that MLife elites can gain status in a variety of ways.
Probably a minority, but definitely not a tiny minority, especially given the 25x pts per $ spend - I have met many Plats who don't do a bit of gambling. Even though I do gamble, I would make Plat just off my dining spend, for example.

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I love the ability to earn and redeem(though I will never redeem) But, the M Life benefits are s bit of s joke IMO.
No doubt about it - the whole mlife program is pretty much a joke. But that's also why they're willing to give the perks away.

*I can't speak for gamblers from certain foreign countries. Or perhaps even some from the US, for that matter.

Last edited by gengar; Jun 7, 2013 at 3:12 am
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
While none of these properties would be a preferred choice for me in LAS, I do appreciate the MR possibilities and the ability to earn Hyatt points at some very good restaurants.
I won't make any use of this until after August, but, having been horrified at the checkin line at Aria one night while I was going to dinner, I'm wondering whether Priority checkin makes a real difference there or at the other MLife props, or does it resemble the line at EWR Terminal C--does anyone know?

Last edited by rfrost; Jun 7, 2013 at 2:19 pm
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by verve
Knowing that I might be unpopular with this post - but this is another very US centric enhancement that will not help those GP members that are mostly loyal to Hyatt in Europe and Asia.
It would be nice to see at one point some incentives for non US residents....
As something of a counterpoint: Remember why MGM Grand completely re-did its grand entrance?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
An Unintended Consequence

Will I be the only one rushing to cancel the wife's/husband's Hyatt CC before they find out about this?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
As an aside, I'm truly shocked that all the MGM properties are charging a resort fee. Excaliber? - you've got to be kidding. Just a false advertising scam charge like the usurious fuel surcharges plaguing the airline industry. At this rate, Motel 6 and Howard Johnson will be charging $10 resort fees covering "pool use" and "incoming telephone calls".

Having said that, Hyatt Status will certainly be a breeze for anyone who frequents Vegas and is willing to Hotel Hop.

SG
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
As an aside, I'm truly shocked that all the MGM properties are charging a resort fee. Excaliber? - you've got to be kidding. Just a false advertising scam charge like the usurious fuel surcharges plaguing the airline industry. At this rate, Motel 6 and Howard Johnson will be charging $10 resort fees covering "pool use" and "incoming telephone calls".
I remember some "energy surcharges" in Las Vegas properties previously.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
This sounds cool. I am not a Hyatt guy. (Marriott.. sorry). But when in Vegas, I almost always stay at MGM properties. (two stays at Aria last year, staying at MGM Gran in July). I would be nice to get hotel points while in Vegas that are actually worth something. Not that I would ever use Hyatt points to get a room in Vegas (paid rates are just too good of a deal there, even for really good places like Aria), but I could use the Hyatt points to get rooms elsewhere. And if I can get a status match to an "elite" level at Hyatt, all the better. Would make me strongly consider staying at a Hyatt property elsewhere instead of my automatic default move of looking for a Marriott property. Also, from what I understand, I'm still getting my MLife points for my total hotel spend while also getting Hyatt points.

Nice move, Hyatt. I think this is gonna help land you people like me who go to Vegas a lot, but never stay in a hotel affiliated with some major international hotel brand.

Now, I gotta go sign up.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by amgt123
Best news of the day!
No, very annoying news. If it started a week earlier it would be good.

And now for a question that affects very few people: Remember the Costco Hyatt certificates? Will those be good at MGM properties?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
So now we can look forward to a flood of new Diamonds qualifying at rates of US$29/night? First cc dissolution, and now this.

Now that hyatt has tied itself to gambling, what's next?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by sethb
No, very annoying news. If it started a week earlier it would be good.

And now for a question that affects very few people: Remember the Costco Hyatt certificates? Will those be good at MGM properties?
Sure do. Still have some. Still one of the best investments in Hyatt, IMO.

As someone noted above - this is explicitly an alliance between the loyalty programs - not the parents.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 1:34 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Now that hyatt has tied itself to gambling, what's next?
Better steer clear of the SF Grand Hyatt... Or have a look at recent posts in that thread first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.