Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: SQ PPS *G, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
How much is a taxi from the airport?
Took a Premiere taxi from the LCCT and if I remember correctly it was around MYR 102 (prepaid at the taxi counter). I assume the price to be about the same from KLIA. The journey took about 75 minutes on a weekday morning.

There was a cheaper budget taxi available, around MYR 70, but it didn't work for us as most of the trunk space was occupied by a large fuel tank so it couldn't fit all of our bags.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:37 am
Community Director Emerita

Thank you. It sounds as though a taxi is roughly equivalent to the train plus taxi when two people are traveling. I really like the train when staying at one of the two hotels but it sounds for the Hyatt, it's sensible to take the taxi.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thank you. It sounds as though a taxi is roughly equivalent to the train plus taxi when two people are traveling. I really like the train when staying at one of the two hotels but it sounds for the Hyatt, it's sensible to take the taxi.
Took a cab 3x during last few days. From KLIA 90 minutes in morning during rush hours. 2nd trip (after picking up family + lost iPhone from MF F) took the same around lunch time- but had a flat tyre mid trip!

All taxis were around 80 MYR incl toll and airport fee.

Train only makes sense (to GH) if going solo, need of toilet (trains have this) or during rush hour.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 4:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelkid
Took a cab 3x during last few days. From KLIA 90 minutes in morning during rush hours. 2nd trip (after picking up family + lost iPhone from MF F) took the same around lunch time- but had a flat tyre mid trip!

All taxis were around 80 MYR incl toll and airport fee.

Train only makes sense (to GH) if going solo, need of toilet (trains have this) or during rush hour.
Our flat tyre cab also overheated in traffic jam, forcing him to shut of air con. At that moment I wished I had taken the train too

Also remember check in facilities at train station (IATA XKL). Check website for available carriers.

GH 105sqm suites are absolutely great- especially with my corp rate and using sutie upgrade^

For any inexperienced at these suites its hard to know the 3 jars of goodies at shelf are part of diamond amenity. No info. Just FT

Lounge is great too- except prosecco instead of champ 3 smoothies for breakfast, and they knew how to make proper hot chocolate.

To mention minor flaws. Knives in lounge are laid up head to toe to look nice. Meaning you will always touch some part the next guest will eat with. Some guests will definately get sick due to this. Its just not hygienic and proper in such a place. Cheese cutlery shared between several cheeses is a big no-no- Im a big blue cheese fan, but Im pretty sure some Edamer worshipper wont appreciate the mixed flavor....

Eh, and the flaw of architects and desk designers; The tap handles in bathroom looks great as the the rest, but are very impractical. If you want little water pressure for tooth brushing etc the pressure is too weak to actually hit within the sink!! It creates a pool on the surroundings.

Service is excellent. Really a gem with the great view, live music every night (very classy). An amazing chocolate brunch/buffet everyday now.

I rarely get impressed anymore, but despite the reviews here and friends recommendations, the ground floor restaurant exceeded my expectations and is a must try for malaysian food, considering the convenience as well. Everything is great, quality, size of portions, and even prices being very cheap.

Being touristy and and doing the hop on hop off buses can be a nice way to get to know a new city in a rush. Stop is next door in front of Mandarin Oriental. Only cash, so get from the ATM across the street on other side of GH if needed. 50% student discount (bus, not the ATM). And ticket is valid for 24h which is a benefit. You will pass China town, India town, biz/shopping areas to see lots of great restaurant, bars etc. Also on the back side of GH there are a fe nice western places (Irish, Italian etc).

The only better options I could see was the IC when on pointbreaks list
Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:18 am
Suspended

A few more remarks from this great hotel. Valuewise easily top 3 in the Hyatt world for me, nominal price and location considered.

I may have missed it but didnt see any big Hyatt logo when looking for the hotel from distance (contrary to other hotels in KL and other Hyatts around the world?).

Nice plastic wrapped spounges/scrubs in bathroom (in shower + by huge fancy sink).

French red wine as welcome gift as well.

Bout the train it of course also makes sense if your hotel is by the train terrminal (like Meridien/Aloft/Hilton).

Suites give lounge access for non diamonds as well ( I booked 2 and one for plat member, both of us +1). They also got wine bottle (not sure about jars).
Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:40 am
Suspended

To prove that YMMV still stands; in part of the lounge the mentioned open ceiling gives you all the live music from the bar. Contrary to another poster upthread I found that great when extending the evening cocktails. Great ambience.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:49 am
Suspended

Sorry to bump this great hotel with a little tip. If you plan to go up in the Twin Towers do plan ahead. Wont work to show up, unless you go way before opening hours. Book online, or drop by and buy a ticket for later. Closed Mondays. 80MYR but they do have unpublished student prices.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Staying here for 2 nights. Service as fantastic as in last December. This is a real jewel in the Hyatt crown. A real attention-to-detail, e.g. noticing which bottle you pour from in the club lounge so they can top up with the right wine. Kudos to the GM and whole management team. So far, no negatives.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Would the Club Room benefits apply to a Diamond guest staying in a suite on a confirmed upgrade? It's obviously not the same room but being a suite I'm hoping the benefits would apply, if for no other reason than I'm a Diamond member. After a week travelling through Vietnam I'm particularly interested in the two pieces of laundry per day, which seems to be the only material thing Diamond members wouldn't otherwise get anyway.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by danger
Would the Club Room benefits apply to a Diamond guest staying in a suite on a confirmed upgrade? It's obviously not the same room but being a suite I'm hoping the benefits would apply, if for no other reason than I'm a Diamond member. After a week travelling through Vietnam I'm particularly interested in the two pieces of laundry per day, which seems to be the only material thing Diamond members wouldn't otherwise get anyway.
Just stayed there - as Diamond who booked standard room and used Suite upgrade. And yes I rec'd a letter with all those benefits....however, do note that it says 2 pieces of laundry per STAY (not per day!). A big difference if you are there several days...so you don't get surprised at the end if you give 2 pieces per day.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 6:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rwm818
Just stayed there - as Diamond who booked standard room and used Suite upgrade. And yes I rec'd a letter with all those benefits....however, do note that it says 2 pieces of laundry per STAY (not per day!). A big difference if you are there several days...so you don't get surprised at the end if you give 2 pieces per day.
Thanks for that. Good to know. So really there is no additional benefits for a Diamond by booking suite (which doesn't bother me, just making the distinction).

Presumably you enjoyed your stay, particularly the suite?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by danger
Presumably you enjoyed your stay, particularly the suite?
Absolutely, one of the best rooms I've ever had at a Hyatt (or any other hotel)...one of the corner suites
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Nice property

Just left this property yesterday and had a lovely stay.

Room: We were upgraded to one of the better Grand suites (3404), which had the same preferred view of the twin towers as the lobby and Grand Club (in fact it is in the same location as the club, just three floors down). Amenity was a fruit plate and note from GM, but no wine.

Club: One of the best clubs in the system. Both food options and service were quite good.

Service: Adequate, but not great. Few of the staff spoke fluent English and perhaps as a result of that most interactions lacked a certain polish, for lack of a better word. A few simple requests were not followed up on.

Housekeeping: There were minor issues (not all items were replaced/replenished), but the room was kept clean.

Outlets: Loved both the bar on 38 and JP teres restaurant for the food/beverages and ambiance. Service was rather poor in both outlets.

Transportation: We used the hotel's car service for our arrival at KUL, which took about 40 minutes on a Saturday night. For our return trip we were advised that the car service could take as long as two hours, so we opted to take the subway to KL Sentral and the airport express from there. We arrived at the airport in about an hour. Honestly, I am not sure whether I would choose this option again. While there is a tunnel from the hotel to the subway station under the twin towers, signage is pretty poor and it does take a good 15 minute walk to get to the station. It gets your there pretty reliably, though.

Wouldn't hesitate to go back, but I hope they will work on service. As others noted, both the public spaces and the rooms look quite amazing.

Last edited by sensei; Aug 26, 2013 at 8:36 pm Reason: added detail
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
I have a 3-night stay coming up. Confirmed a suite using a Diamond upgrade cert, so I'll have access to the lounge. My question is about breakfast - is the selection better in the lounge or the restaurant?

Let's hope they've ironed out the wrinkles experienced by kuponuts. Either way, I'll be sure to report back.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 54austin
I have a 3-night stay coming up. Confirmed a suite using a Diamond upgrade cert, so I'll have access to the lounge. My question is about breakfast - is the selection better in the lounge or the restaurant?

Let's hope they've ironed out the wrinkles experienced by kuponuts. Either way, I'll be sure to report back.
The selection is better in the restaurant although the range in the lounge is very good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.