Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:55 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by kuponuts
Sorry everyone!

I decided to stand on my original decision of not posting my review of Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur. I think the management deserves time to redeem themselves. I apologize for deleting my own posts above.
That is of course your perogative. However, a "gentle" critique sometimes helps steer the issue in the right direction.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle
Hi everyone,

Things are changing for the better. I look forward to writing a more balanced review after my stay.

Photos coming soon.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Sorry... but that is a little hard to believe in only a few days. What we are looking for here are real life experiences, not something that has been redacted after talking to management.

It's good to hear the full story, and if changes are made to things that weren't perfect right after opening that's only good. That's how things normally go with new hotels and new staff. But by posting some negative remarks, removing them and now posting again that all is better you loose a lot of credibility in my opinion.

This isn't Tripadvisor.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Sorry... but that is a little hard to believe in only a few days. What we are looking for here are real life experiences, not something that has been redacted after talking to management.

It's good to hear the full story, and if changes are made to things that weren't perfect right after opening that's only good. That's how things normally go with new hotels and new staff. But by posting some negative remarks, removing them and now posting again that all is better you loose a lot of credibility in my opinion.

This isn't Tripadvisor.
Hi RTW1,

I believe a good review should be a review with both positives and negatives, which is why I decided to stand on my original decision of not posting my 100% negative review (and also the same reason why I didn't want to review the hotel at the very beginning).

While I must admit that GHKL still has a long list of problems to fix (I am going to discuss these issues in my new review), I just want to fill it with some positive points so that the review can be a bit more "balanced".

It might seem that I am switching sides over a very short period of time. But the truth is that I want to be fair to the people who worked hard for the opening of GHKL -- despite the fact that they are outnumbered by the number of inexperienced staff at the property (it makes me cringe just thinking about it).
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I can understand that you want to be fair if people are working hard... but in the end that shouldn't matter much. A bad experience is a bad experience even if everybody is trying their best and it's just a lack of training. That shouldn't be a concern for guests staying there, especially when they are charging the full rate.

Everybody can understand there might be some small things that aren't perfect yet. But the tolerances, even at the start, should be only minor. I would prefer some flaws and everybody working hard
to correct them to some flaws where nobody gives a damn. But all within reason and best known before arriving. For instance your comment about noise in the lounge from the restaurant above would seriously deter me from staying. That seems something that's not easily rectified and will only get worse when things get busy.

I will probably be staying in KL at the end of next month but would not be prepared to pay full price for a hotel that isn't ready yet. And I would prefer reading unbiased opinions here so I can make up my own mind if I find any flaws acceptable or not.... So please write what you experienced and give some context, even of things that are planned to be improved (or are improved already). But if you didn't like it, please say so.

Last edited by RTW1; Sep 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:25 pm

RTW1, I agree that if we are paying full fare (FYI, I used BRG ) we shouldn't need to care about fairness, but in this case I do care because I like the Hyatt brand a lot.

Anyway, I think you are one of the few people who got the chance to read my original review, so you are more than welcome to judge if my revised review is fair or not.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks, I look foward to it.... And I like Hyatt too
Old Sep 3, 2012, 6:52 pm

I have a stay coming up in December. I'm looking forward to an honest review from kopunuts. Unfortunately, I didn't get to read the original review, so I hope GHKL or Hyatt Company Rep here on FT didn't have too much influences on the new review.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by imm2b
I have a stay coming up in December. I'm looking forward to an honest review from kopunuts. Unfortunately, I didn't get to read the original review, so I hope GHKL or Hyatt Company Rep here on FT didn't have too much influences on the new review.
Same here. Was planning on staying at GHKL at end of this month (3 weeks from now). I also did not get a chance to read the original review, but with rates that high and service issues to put up with, will likely change to MO instead which is adjacent to the Tower.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
.... I do care because I like the Hyatt brand a lot......
Originally Posted by RTW1
.... And I like Hyatt too....
and me 3.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Is the location of the grand hyatt as good as say the westin?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by k3nnis
Is the location of the grand hyatt as good as say the westin?
Hi k3nnis,

I can answer this question. The location of Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur is very central, and is as convenient as staying at Mandarin Oriental or Traders. It is situated right next to KLCC, faces Petronas Tower and is 5-10 ringit-worth of taxi to Pavilion or Starhill Gallery.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG PLAT, ALASKA MVPGOLD
Kuponuts, I think you should reconsider posting a full review. At this point, you are the only individual on this thread that has stayed there and your first post on it was rather concerning. As someone who is traveling there in three weeks, I am now hesistant to try the property based on what you have posted.

Any diamonds stay there yet? Any upgrade possibilities? Its either this or the MO...
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Hi,

Thanks for the info. Is it within walking distance of pavilion? The issue is when I'm in KL the taxis don't want to take me even for short distance. they want a flat rate and no meter.....

Hi k3nnis,

I can answer this question. The location of Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur is very central, and is as convenient as staying at Mandarin Oriental or Traders. It is situated right next to KLCC, faces Petronas Tower and is 5-10 ringit-worth of taxi to Pavilion or Starhill Gallery.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by k3nnis
Hi,

Thanks for the info. Is it within walking distance of pavilion? The issue is when I'm in KL the taxis don't want to take me even for short distance. they want a flat rate and no meter.....
The property is in a good location. You can walk to the Pavilion Mall in the elevated conditioned sidewalk in about 5 minutes. The escalator to the elevated sidewalk is directly across the street from hotel.

I'm not sure what all the concern is over. When I was at the property everything looked excellent. The concierge that took me on my tour was extremely knowledgeable and gracious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.