Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:08 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keio 100 yen shuttle bus

As some may know, from the street in front on the PH there was a regular (every 10 mins) 100 yen shuttle bus to/from Shinjuku station. This is in addition to the hotel shuttle and the Park Tower shuttle, both of which are free.

Unfortunately, the 100 yen shuttle has become the "Shinjuku WE shuttle." It runs about 6 times an hour, still costs Y100, but takes an absurdly long and complex route to the station which means generally it is a slower route to the station than walking. Silly, I don't know what Keio was thinking of (this is out of the hotel's control).

Therefore, I no longer recommend this Y100 bus. Stick to one of the free shuttles instead.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:19 pm

I understand that diamond level status allows me complimentary access to the spa- will I have to pay for my registered guest?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by coregis
I understand that diamond level status allows me complimentary access to the spa- will I have to pay for my registered guest?
I never had to pay for a registered guest (or any guest as long as it suits the guest # in the reservation) to access the Spa facilities.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
While doing the best I can to ignore the blatant trolling a few posts upthread, I can't help but be reminded of just how quiet and secluded this hotel really is/feels. Not only have I never heard the sounds of other guests while staying here, I can't even hear the housekeeping staff knocking on the door immediately adjacent to mine (e.g. the xx11 series rooms, where the neighboring room's door is only a couple feet away). I've also been amazed at how far the hallway layout goes to ensure I rarely even see other guests on their way to/from the elevators.

Unclear whether this is by design or just happenstance, but it certainly does quite a bit to make me feel as if I'm the only guest in the hotel once I leave the lobby areas. I may just be ending up here during light periods, but I feel like I've seen other guests in the hallways no more than twice across a handful of stays here. Heck, I've probably shared a guest floor elevator few enough times to count on two hands.
Funny. I just thought aboutexactly the same thing last month. PHT has a very intimate feeling to it. You rarely spot anyone outside the public areas.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Funny. I just thought about exactly the same thing last month. PHT has a very intimate feeling to it. You rarely spot anyone outside the public areas.
Which is rather amazing given that the hotel has hundreds of employees. It is clearly a style which the hotel has worked very, very hard to achieve. It makes it sometimes seem like the rooms clean themselves.

On my just concluded trip, I was upgraded to a room with -- get this! -- a hidden door that accessed a short hallway to a possible connecting bedroom. Looked to me like the hallway would be a perfect place for a couple of ninja to hide. First time I've encountered that in all my stays!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
5-7 Benefit Very Nice

Checked-in a couple of days ago, and the wife has enjoyed this free wine/beer benefit very much since the wine is good quality. We also had one of the salmon/dill/spinach pizzas, recommended by LIH Prem, and can testify to it's deliciousness! Will try the duck fat fries before we leave.

Were upgraded to a deluxe corner (i.e two walls with windows) room on check-in with excellent views. Typical upgrade is to a deluxe room here.

By the way, if anyone ever needs currency conversion, Daikoku-ya (http://www.e-daikoku.com) is better than the best bank or airport exchange by 1 % or more. On cash, not TCs, the deal is usually better, more like 2%. This place has saved me tons of money over the years and has locations everywhere, usually near the subway/JR stations. Debit card transactions in Japan usually give a bad exchange rate, around 2% more than typical bank cash transactions, so I don't recommend them. Also, the Hyatt Visa card doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee, so I highly recommend using that card for your CC transactions in Japan. Every other card I have charges this fee, so watch out for it.

Last edited by zombietooth; Mar 29, 2012 at 3:55 pm Reason: More Info
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
I have an upcoming trip to Japan and I'm planning to use points for Free Nights. I really only have enough points for 2 - 3 nights depending on which property I choose but I'm debating between the Park Hyatt and the Grand Hyatt and whether it's worth to book as "Standard Room" or "Regency/Grand Club".
The Grand Hyatt website is pretty clear about what is included when booking a Grand Club room but the Park Hyatt site really does not make any reference that I could find.

Can anyone tell me what the differences are if booking a "Regency/Grand Club" vs. "Standard Room" at the PH?

I am just a basic Gold Level member FWIW...
Old Mar 29, 2012, 2:08 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by konoyaro
The Grand Hyatt website is pretty clear about what is included when booking a Grand Club room but the Park Hyatt site really does not make any reference that I could find.

Can anyone tell me what the differences are if booking a "Regency/Grand Club" vs. "Standard Room" at the PH?
There is no Club lounge at the Park Hyatt - so not sure why the system would even allow you to book a Regency/Grand Club room at this property.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I have an upcoming trip to Japan and I'm planning to use points for Free Nights. I really only have enough points for 2 - 3 nights depending on which property I choose but I'm debating between the Park Hyatt and the Grand Hyatt and whether it's worth to book as "Standard Room" or "Regency/Grand Club".

I am just a basic Gold Level member FWIW...
Sorry I don't know the Grand Hyatt because my business is always in Shinjuku, but I highly recommend the PHT for pleasure/relaxation. It is an exquisite property with very high service standards and superior facilities like the health club, pool, and spa. If you want a better value, I believe the HRT is a better business hotel, and Regency Club rooms there are 15K points per night. The pool/health club are nothing special, but the Regency Club breakfast is very good at the HRT. The evening cocktail/dinner small plates service is nice, but the selection of liquors is very limited. I stay at both properties regularly and like them both for different reasons.

Last edited by zombietooth; Mar 29, 2012 at 4:17 pm
Old Mar 29, 2012, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
There is no Club lounge at the Park Hyatt - so not sure why the system would even allow you to book a Regency/Grand Club room at this property.
I've never seen it on the booking engine.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:07 pm

Thanks very much for the replies.
When I posted earlier, I had less than 5000 miles in my GP account so I could not see the actual booking options for each property. I was simply going off of the chart listed here.
I've just transferred some more miles into my GP account and I now see that indeed there is no "Regency/Grand Club" option when attempting to book an award stay at the PH.
So if I understand correctly, were I to book a Gold Passport Award room @ 22,000 points, as a basic Gold Level member, breakfast would not be included. Are there any amenities @ the PH beyond the coffee/tea service that I could expect in this booking category?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 9:00 pm

Thanks very much for the replies.
When I posted earlier, I had less than 5000 miles in my GP account so I could not see the actual booking options for each property. I was simply going off of the chart listed here.
I've just transferred some more miles into my GP account and I now see that indeed there is no "Regency/Grand Club" option when attempting to book an award stay at the PH.
So if I understand correctly, were I to book a Gold Passport Award room @ 22,000 points, as a basic Gold Level member, breakfast would not be included. Are there any amenities @ the PH beyond the coffee/tea service that I could expect in this booking category?
Everybody at the PHT gets access to the gorgeous pool and gym, but the spa access is free only for Diamonds. I think it would cost you Yen 4,000 per day.

When working-out at the gym, you will be looking-out from the 47th floor, through floor-to-ceiling
windows, at some of the best city views in town IMO. The pool is in the center between the two fitness areas. The fitness center on the west side of the pool deck looks toward Fuji and the one on the east side looks towards Shinjuku station. There is a Life-Fitness circuit, treadmills, and weight machines on the west side, and stair masters/bikes and a floor exercise area on the east side.

You will be treated like a king at this property, the only shortcomings that you might experience will be the high costs of breakfast/lunch/dinner at the restaurants on the premises.

Last edited by zombietooth; Mar 29, 2012 at 11:41 pm
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:42 pm

To get around the high cost of meals, take the entry lift to B1 (the left hand elevator as you face them goes down below floor 2). There is a selection of 10 reasonably priced restaurants, plus a convenience store selling bento boxes and sandwiches. One of those restaurants is a Caffe Excelsior that has inexpensive, filling breakfasts.

For lunch, there is also the PH deli on floor 1, you can see it from the window as you enter/exit the hotel. Also the Peak Bar on floor 41 does a good "one plate lunch" for around Y1800.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:44 pm

Thanks zombietooth & RichardInSF, your info was very helpful! ^
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:24 pm

Does anyone know what brand the beds are?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.