Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:00 am
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Oh, and yes, I had the pleasure of trying to find that free PHT Shuttle stop at Shinjuku Station. I agree it is near impossible to find, in fact we eventually came across it by mostly luck (there is only one tiny sign near the stop). People we asked did not even know where it was, and I even had a schedule from the hotel in Japanese that explained it. They mostly pointed us in the general vicinity, but it did not describe the exact location ("near Building L" doesn't really cut it!). What they need is a printed diagram/map of the station pointing it out, that would be a big help.
The PHT does not seem to promote this valuable service. I use it daily when I stay. The pick-up point is certainly not easy to find for a first-timer( or even 2nd timer). I suggest that you use the service from the PHT to Shinjuku -- that way you will know exactly where the drop-off/pick-up point is. It's upstairs from the main concourse (easiest via the esculators to/through the department store) out the main entrance of the department store and across 2 streets to the front of the Shinjuku L Building. Ask for a shuttle schedule from the front desk -- as with everything in Japan the shuttle is extremely punctual.

BTW -- as a first time Tokyo/PHT visitor I would definitely use the Limonsine Bus service from Narita directly to the PHT, it's much simplier and easier than trying to do anything in Shinjuku the first time with luggage!

Last edited by trd; Nov 20, 2009 at 10:08 am
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:35 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it is best to take the shuttle TO the station first so you can see where it stops.

However, lately, I have been preferring the Keio 100 yen bus. Looking out from the hotel exit, go down the left driveway and at the foot of that to the left is the stop for this bus. At the station, it is bus stop 21, take a left when exiting to the street on the west side, very close. This bus runs every ten minutes (or more often) up until 8 or 9 pm and as the name implies, you pay cash 100 yen.

There is actually a third alternative which is free -- walk down the stairs to the deli and back to the other side of the building. There is a Park Tower shuttle from there which goes to the same stop as the PH shuttle, leaving every 10 minutes during the day.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:30 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I think it is best to take the shuttle TO the station first so you can see where it stops.
I think that was our original plan... but we had just missed the shuttle when we were leaving the hotel, so we walked to the nearest subway station (Tochomae). It was my idea to "just get off at Shinjuku and catch the free shuttle back!" when we were returning to the hotel. In fact, after we had spent so long looking for the stop, we had JUST missed the shuttle again.

My bf was so annoyed he just walked back to the hotel, but I didn't feel like walking anymore so luckily there's a Starbucks right around the corner from the shuttle stop.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:01 pm

Hey, there's a Starbucks in Tokyo around the corner from EVERY shuttle stop!

P.S. The actual closest rail transit stop (train, metro) to the hotel is underneath the Tokyo opera building, in the direction AWAY from Shinjuku station. It doesn't show up on a metro map because it is listed as Keio new line, not becoming the TOEI Shinjuku line until the next stop when it reaches Shinjuku station.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by SMK77
On FFN you get an upgrade to Deluxe King if you are Diamond. As a Platinum you are not entitled to anything - and you won't get anything as Japanese play by the rules. The Park Hyatt Tokyo goes out of their way if you are a repeat guest - but for the first time they will give you a fantastic experience and the best service you have ever received, but they will stick to what you have booked as far as the room is concerned.

You can offer to pay the differential from the Daily Rate though (6.000 Yen per night plus tax) - and the money might be worth it. This paid upgrade can also include a package deal (e.g. breakfast, spa access etc.) - go for the Awaken package if you would like to include breakfast as well.

For a first timer, the Airport Limousine Bus is the best way to get to the hotel. 3,000 Yen all-in p.P. and you are dropped off right in front of the hotel.

I have FFN nights booked in March, but I booked these as park twin, because there were some complaints in the earlier part of this thread about the park Kings being small & disappointing rooms (my preference is King bed, but didn't want to be disappointed). I will become diamond before my stay, is the chance to get upgraded to a deluxe room better for the King or Twin bed type?

Is the paid upgrade mentioned above to a deluxe room or a suite and do I email the hotel in advance to ask, because I would easily pay for an amazing experience.

thanks for any help
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:05 am

Yes, you should contact the hotel to inform them that you would like to upgrade to a Deluxe King by paying the difference. There should be no problem.

My favorite room type is the "View King" - there are relatively few of these rooms located in the corners of the hotel on some floors. This may be available as an upsell as well, in which case the additional charge would be higher (two category upgrade)
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
If you become Diamond before your stay, then it's very likely you will get upgraded anyway without having to pay the difference, assuming there is availability.

But yes, if you want to make sure that you get a better room, then you can ensure this by paying the difference BEFORE you arrive as by that time all the better rooms might already be taken. And if they're not, you will get one anyway as Diamond without having to pay extra.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by jrm68
I have FFN nights booked in March, but I booked these as park twin, because there were some complaints in the earlier part of this thread about the park Kings being small & disappointing rooms (my preference is King bed, but didn't want to be disappointed). I will become diamond before my stay, is the chance to get upgraded to a deluxe room better for the King or Twin bed type?

Is the paid upgrade mentioned above to a deluxe room or a suite and do I email the hotel in advance to ask, because I would easily pay for an amazing experience.

thanks for any help
Room categories are:
- Park King
- Park Deluxe
- Park View
- Park King Suite

FFN and reward nights book into Park King. Diamonds get a one-category upgrade into Park Deluxe. I think the Park Deluxe has the nicest layout - the only thing about the Park View is the bathtub with a view...

The moment you are Diamond and you can see it in your profile, just call the PHT and ask them whether your reservation is already showing it (it usually doesn't). Once it's in your reservation, you will get the upgrade. Also make sure that you change your reservation to "King" - as Diamond you will get you choice of bed for sure.

And if you wanna still be 100% sure to get the room you like, just pay the difference. Your FFN is already giving you 500 USD - so the 150 USD upgrade is a steal anyway :-)
Old Nov 21, 2009, 9:12 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP
Hotel choice in Tokyo

Hi All

I'm about to make my first trip to Tokyo. I have some FFN reward nights. The Park Hyatt is available only for part of my stay while the Grand Hyatt is available all nights. I plan to be Diamond by the time I arrive.

Should I stay at the GHT for all nights, or is the is getting to stay at PHT for 3 of the 5 days worth the switch in hotels?

Do either of the hotels charge any of the taxes/fees with FFN redemption?

Do both of these hotels have free breakfast for diamond members?

Is one of these hotels in a more convenient location (in to NRT, out of HND) or have more free public transportation options?

If I don't make it to Diamond by my stay what will I lose?

Any other advice definitely welcome..

Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2009, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by jrm68
I will become diamond before my stay, is the chance to get upgraded to a deluxe room better for the King or Twin bed type?

thanks for any help
I would recommend paying the small upsell to be guaranteed the Deluxe king. I have never reserved the standard room because I have never wanted to risk ending up in one. Plus since you will become a diamond before your stay you will be eligible for a complimentary upgrade to the View King if it is available.

Since you will become a Diamond before the stay, but the reservation was made when you were a Plat, it would be best to contact the hotel to make sure your reservation is updated to reflect your new status.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Nov 22, 2009 at 1:56 am
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Calboy9903
Hi All
Should I stay at the GHT for all nights, or is the is getting to stay at PHT for 3 of the 5 days worth the switch in hotels?
Wow, I'm (almost) in the same position. I'm going to be back in Tokyo on Jan. 6-12 and I was thinking of staying at the Park Hyatt from 6-9 and then switching to the Grand Hyatt or Claska for 9-12.

I hate the thought of packing up and switching hotels but my budget won't let me stay at the Park Hyatt for the entire time and I'm tempted to just try the hotel for myself after reading so many reviews.

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt last year for 4 days and absolutely loved it--the room, the service, the bathroom (oh my God, the bathroom), the close proximity to the train--everything was so memorable. However, some folks here and on other sites have told me the Park Hyatt is so much better than the Grand Hyatt on every level. I'm skeptical because I loved my stay last year at the Grand Hyatt and can't imagine how much better it could be, although I'm really, really tempted to find out this time.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 12:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by nycnyc
Wow, I'm (almost) in the same position. I'm going to be back in Tokyo on Jan. 6-12 and I was thinking of staying at the Park Hyatt from 6-9 and then switching to the Grand Hyatt or Claska for 9-12.

I hate the thought of packing up and switching hotels but my budget won't let me stay at the Park Hyatt for the entire time and I'm tempted to just try the hotel for myself after reading so many reviews.

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt last year for 4 days and absolutely loved it--the room, the service, the bathroom (oh my God, the bathroom), the close proximity to the train--everything was so memorablde. However, some folks here and on other sites have told me the Park Hyatt is so much better than the Grand Hyatt on every level. I'm skeptical because I loved my stay last year at the Grand Hyatt and can't imagine how much better it could be, although I'm really, really tempted to find out this time.
Split your stay and spend two or three nights at the PHT. The PHT is very different from the GHT and the pros and cons have been discussed here:

The PHT is the epitome of luxury - and it is the benchmark for the Park Hyatt Brand as well all new luxury hotels in Tokyo. It doesn't get better. The guest is king - and you will be treated with the utmost respect and the hightest level of service. Some people feel uncomfortable with the formal approach - the way staff is talking to you, the way you should be dressed not to feel misplaced, and the whole over-luxury experience. The PHT has opened 1994 and the interior is still the same. The interior design is amazingly timeless and I love the colours and materials used - but in comparison to the GHT and all new luxury hotels in town it's slightly dated. For the fans of the PHT this doesn't matter but some new guests do notice this.

Having read your remarks about the GHT, you might not be fully convinced with the PHT: the rooms are not as "warm" in terms of colors and material, the bathrooms are a notch better at the GHT. GHT has the better and more convenient location and better access to public transport.

Having said all that: Give it a try and stay at the PHT. Otherwise you will never find out how both hotels compare. Enjoy your drink at the New York Bar and the nice breakfast at Girandole. Relax at the spa and enjoy the breathtaking swimming-pool. Breath the spirit of the PHT and enjoy - I am back to the PHT this Friday and I am looking forward to a great weekend in one of their Suites...
Old Nov 22, 2009, 12:31 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt GP Plat
i think the park hyatt tokyo is one of the best hotels in the world. i love it each and every time.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:41 am

If you ask the hotel staff, there's a chance they will take care of transporting your bags between the two Hyatts.

AFAIK, there are no extra charges added to FFN room bills. Both hotels make the diamond breakfast available. There are no free transit options at the GH since it is close to a metro station. As to which is more convenient to the airport, I'd say from NRT, both are about equal.

To HND, the GH is closer in distance. But the route to HND via public transport (non-airport bus) is the following -- I could have missed an angle, but here it is off the top of my head:

1. GH to Hibiya line to Ebisu. Yamanote Line from Ebisu to Shinagawa, then private rail to HND.

2. PH to Shinjuku station (Y710 cab), Yamanote line to Shinagawa, then private rail to HND. More exotic alternative from Shinjuku station: Rinkai line to Tennozu Isle, then monorail to HND.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If you ask the hotel staff, there's a chance they will take care of transporting your bags between the two Hyatts.
Can you elaborate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.