Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:28 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by whimsey21
The nights we were there the canapes were all savory (and extremely salty). I remember something that looked like creme brulee, but was actually some kind of brulee'd cheese (very disappointing to my kids, who thought they were getting dessert), a fish mousse, pureed sweet potato, some seared fish. The very last night we were there they brought out a tray of a pesto pizza-ish thing, which I did like. Unfortunately it all disappeared almost immediately (mostly to one person who had over a dozen small plates lined up in front of her) and no more appeared. They also had potato chips, and tortilla chips with salsa and guacamole. On the drink side, the scotch was Whyte and Mackay, which I don't think highly of. I may be too picky on the food/beverage front, however...
Sounds like premium canapés but reflecting local culture?

I dare say they are trying to prevent guests relying on it instead of buying dinner.

Well at least we're not paying for it.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've noticed more hassle about the station shuttle being full a few times on my last few trips. When it came up, I grumbled at them and somehow managed to get on (as a single) all but once. This is rather frustrating as if the demand is there, they should be able to deal with it. Curiously, they don't do this sort of thing back from the station -- that way is simply first come first served.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:44 pm

Thank you all for chiming in with the recommendation. Limo bus it is for us!

Regarding the shuttle bus being full, I read in an earlier post that you can reserve space for a later shuttle, but not on the way back is unfortunate.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by lettezilla
Hi all,

This has been a really interesting thread (and wiki), and I'm very much looking forward to our stay coming up in a couple days (2 nights early this week and then another 3 nights at the end of the trip). Our first night comes after a long day/night of travel and I'm guessing we'll arrive at the hotel at maybe 6pm. I know that someone posted a link to restaurants in Shinjuku Park Tower (http://www.shinjukuparktower.com/en/shops.shtml) and wondered if anyone had any recommendations of one over another? I'm guessing we'll be too zonked to explore much, and have some exciting food lined up for the rest of the trip. Extra bonus points if food is available for a vegetarian that doesn't eat fish (dashi OK if necessary).
As noted above we really enjoyed the sushi at SHUN and it is open late so you can visit if you want to freshen up before/after hitting the Peaks Bar. The sushi portions are large, the fish is high quality and the price is very reasonable. The only downside is indoor smoking seems to be permitted though it wasn't intolerable.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
...I dare say they are trying to prevent guests relying on it instead of buying dinner.

Well at least we're not paying for it.
I view it as a positive that they are limiting the amount of food available to light canapés. It would be inappropriate for a high-end hotel to be offering enough free food for freeloaders to make a dinner out of it.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yep, even more Diamond challenge members that will visit the hotel that way :-).
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I view it as a positive that they are limiting the amount of food available to light canapés. It would be inappropriate for a high-end hotel to be offering enough free food for freeloaders to make a dinner out of it.
I am here now and I think it is an appropriate quality and type of food available. I do wish they would refill items a little bit quicker as when there are a larger # of folks they seem to empty out fairly quick.

However, I found the quality to be quite good. It works out well for a few drinks and snacks before dinner.

I do wish they had a little bit better quality of liquor and mixers considering the price of the hotel. I came from the Hyatt Regency Kyoto before this and they had FeverTree tonic which I thought was fantastic, they only have a generic brand here. There were also no recognizable scotches at all ... a local Japanese one would have been great ...
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I'm afraid that they aren't succeeding at that. As I mentioned in a previous post, the person sitting next to us had literally filled the entire surface of her table with small plates, and was continually heading up to get more. I think it is highly unlikely that she was planning to have another dinner later on...
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by whimsey21
I'm afraid that they aren't succeeding at that. As I mentioned in a previous post, the person sitting next to us had literally filled the entire surface of her table with small plates, and was continually heading up to get more. I think it is highly unlikely that she was planning to have another dinner later on...
This must be difficult for the hotel. They clearly have started offering the complimentary food and drinks for Diamonds as an enticement to choose the PH over other hotels, including the GH and HR which offer lounges; however, they do this at the risk of dumbing down the hotel due to abuse of the benefit.

This could be one of the reasons they changed the venue for this from the NY Bar to the Peak Lounge.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:30 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
This must be difficult for the hotel. They clearly have started offering the complimentary food and drinks for Diamonds as an enticement to choose the PH over other hotels, including the GH and HR which offer lounges; however, they do this at the risk of dumbing down the hotel due to abuse of the benefit.

This could be one of the reasons they changed the venue for this from the NY Bar to the Peak Lounge.
I've seen Platinums exhibit this behaviour at different properties around the world.

I politely request that the staff replenish the offering, and in most cases they will bring a selection to us.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I've seen Platinums exhibit this behaviour at different properties around the world.

I politely request that the staff replenish the offering, and in most cases they will bring a selection to us.
Why would the platinums be in the lounge. I image the occasional courtesy is pretty infrequent.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:56 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by thucanhho
Why would the platinums be in the lounge. I image the occasional courtesy is pretty infrequent.
Sorry, I was referring to SPG.

StR SIN for example where one woman literally took the entire dish of canapés to a cabana by the pool and devoured them. We were there for 4 nights and this happened on every occasion we were there.

I've seen Diamonds at Hyatts behave the same way too. A long stay guest at the PH MEL who was on the same floor as the Park Lounge would take plates and plates back to his room.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
This.

Although if I recall the benefit at NY Bar was only Beer/Wine. Canapés were added when they moved it to the Peak Bar.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
This.

Although if I recall the benefit at NY Bar was only Beer/Wine. Canapés were added when they moved it to the Peak Bar.
But at least, at the New York Bar & Grill, you could get real food alongside the Diamond drinks if you paid for it. Now you're stuck with the appetizers on hand.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hailstorm
But at least, at the New York Bar & Grill, you could get real food alongside the Diamond drinks if you paid for it. Now you're stuck with the appetizers on hand.
Can't you use room service like you can at most clubs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.