Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UnitedConnection
The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge. Per email correspondence on 7/11/19, this service is no longer offered by the hotel. Two alternatives are:
Hotel Limousine/MPV: HK$1150 per trip per car (Mercedes S-320) or 6-person MPV for HKD$1400
Airport shuttle service (3rd party): ''Vigor Airport Shuttle Service Limited'' located at Arrival Hall B-01. Take shuttle to ‘’Harbour View International Hotel’’ (next door to GH). HK$140 per person per trip. This is no longer affiliated with the hotel, so tickets must be purchased directly from the vendor.

Diamond benefits as of 4 Sep 2016
  • Complementary Continental Breakfast (in lounge) 7AM – 10:30AM Monday – Friday & 7AM – 11AM (Weekends & Public Holidays)
  • Diamond buffet breakfast also available in Grand Cafe
  • Complimentary Evening Cocktails - 5:30PM – 7:30PM
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee, refreshments, and limited alcoholic beverages (not sure if this is in room or in lounge as lounge hours are 7AM – midnight)
  • Complimentary 3 pieces laundry per day (standard service; not cumulative) for guests staying in a suite (not limited to Diamonds).
  • Grand Club meeting room 1 hour/day.
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, DL, CO
Originally Posted by flyboy_421
Just returned from an incredible stay here over New Years. This was our first trip to Asia so I had about 800 questions. Jake answered every one of my emails with great detail. The service in this hotel is just incredible. Pre-trip Jake took care of every detail and question. Check out his Hong Kong guide, he has put together an incredible quickie guide to Hong Kong that answers a ton of questions and things to do type stuff.

We ended up taking the Hotel limo from the airport, and it was quite nice and comfortable, Angela checked us in, and took great care of us throughout the stay.

As far as Breakfast goes, we ate in the Grand Club every morning, the food is great, and they will cook eggs to order if you don't like what's there. We found everything to be to our liking.

They are doing the renovations, we were in one of the rooms that hadn't been renovated yet, and found it to be quite nice. I'm not sure what people mean by the bathrooms being outdated, I thought they were fine and kept very clean. Looking forward to our next trip back.

For getting around we used a combination of taxies and MTR. Do get an Octopus card at the MTR station though, it's far more convenient for getting around. We just dumped a few hundred HK on each of our cards and then turned them back in when we left for the deposit and refund (minus $9HK). Very easy to hop around the island and across the harbor.

Can't speak highly enough about the level of service in this place though, the Grand Club felt more like a small boutique hotel inside the larger hotel then a "normal" club room. The people there as simply as nice as could be and made us feel entirely welcome at all times.

Only downside of our trip was that we never actually met Jake, as he was on vacation when we were there. Angela took great care of us though.

Scott
Can anyone share Jake's contact information (preferrably e-mail) via PM? I have a stay at the GH HK coming up in May confirmed in a Grand Executive Harbor Suite via suite upgrade. I was hoping to get some advice from Jake based on the great reviews in this thread as it will be my first visit to Hong Kong.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by nickp7286
Can anyone share Jake's contact information (preferrably e-mail) via PM? I have a stay at the GH HK coming up in May confirmed in a Grand Executive Harbor Suite via suite upgrade. I was hoping to get some advice from Jake based on the great reviews in this thread as it will be my first visit to Hong Kong.
+1

If anyone would be kind enough to PM his contact info, it'd be much appreciated.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Like to introduce the famous Jake McHugh, the grand club manager at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. Our close personal friend, incredible travel host , and new to flyertalk so please be gentle He goes by JakeHongKong here on the board.

Scott
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: SPG plat 75, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyboy_421
Like to introduce the famous Jake McHugh, the grand club manager at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. Our close personal friend, incredible travel host , and new to flyertalk so please be gentle He goes by JakeHongKong here on the board.

Scott
Jake is the best. Incredible hospitality and travel advice.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I booked the GH using the the 2 Hyatt cc suite nights and I was assigned the garden view Suite. I don't see anything with this description on the website. Does anyone have any information on this room?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:28 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I'm afraid it's on the side opposite from the one with the harbor view. If it were me, I'd contact them directly and request a harbor view suite. But since I suspect they're already taken, I'd then ask for a harbor view room, and both keep trying, and then try to apply your certs for a harbor view suite when you turn up. You know best what your needs are if it remains either/or.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Firewind
I'm afraid it's on the side opposite from the one with the harbor view. If it were me, I'd contact them directly and request a harbor view suite. But since I suspect they're already taken, I'd then ask for a harbor view room, and both keep trying, and then try to apply your certs for a harbor view suite when you turn up. You know best what your needs are if it remains either/or.
Yes, I found out that there are only one of these rooms and it used to be used as a residence. I have opted for a Deluxe Harbor View room.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:08 pm

Deluxe Harbour View is a really excellent room and much preferred compared (personally) to the very tired non-renovated entry level suite normally for the diamond upgrade. AFAIK the only difference is the existence of a separate room, but they both have roughly the same floor area.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Best hotel in the world? Or at least the best staff?

My wife and I spent three nights at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong during the Asian New Year. They were the last three nights of a two-week visit to Hong Kong and Macao during which we also stayed at three other very good hotels. We had deliberately saved the best for last, and we were not disappointed.

We used a Diamond suite upgrade and got an Ambassador Suite on the harbor view side of the 34th floor. It was the most comfortable and elegant hotel suite in which I can ever recall being lucky enough to stay.

But, as others have noted here, the best thing about the Grand Hyatt is its staff. We received a level of attention and care from everyone, from the Front Office Manager to the concierges and Grand Club staff to butlers and bellmen and a hotel driver, that is unprecedented in our long and varied experience with hotels around the world. Others have come close -- for instance, the staff at the Grand Hyatt Erawan in Bangkok, the Hyatt Regency Goa, and the Conrad Macao are all wonderful -- but the GHHK combines professionalism and the human touch in a way that strikes exactly the right note.

Finally, I admit to having had a certain curiosity about Grand Club manager Jake McHugh, who I thought could not possibly live up to his advance billing:

Originally Posted by RetiredRoadWarrior
Jake is the best. Incredible hospitality and travel advice.
So I was pleased that Jake was among the first people we met when we arrived at the hotel. He turned out to be even better than advertised: not only incredibly knowledgeable and helpful in matters pertaining to the hotel and Hong Kong, but a Renaissance man with wide-ranging interests and a really nice guy.

I've posted a more detailed review on TripAdvisor.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
My wife and I spent three nights at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong during the Asian New Year. They were the last three nights of a two-week visit to Hong Kong and Macao during which we also stayed at three other very good hotels. We had deliberately saved the best for last, and we were not disappointed.

We used a Diamond suite upgrade and got an Ambassador Suite on the harbor view side of the 34th floor. It was the most comfortable and elegant hotel suite in which I can ever recall being lucky enough to stay.

I've posted a more detailed review on TripAdvisor.
I happened to come across your TripAdvisor review earlier today, Assimilated Cajun. Nice job! I'm booked into the GH Hong Kong later this year as part of a combined Middle East & Asia trip on Emirates and am really looking forward to the trip. Was able to use an upgrade for the Grand Executive Harbor Suite category. It looks - and sounds - like a fabulous hotel.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
I happened to come across your TripAdvisor review earlier today, Assimilated Cajun. Nice job! I'm booked into the GH Hong Kong later this year as part of a combined Middle East & Asia trip on Emirates and am really looking forward to the trip. Was able to use an upgrade for the Grand Executive Harbor Suite category. It looks - and sounds - like a fabulous hotel.
Thanks so much, AKCuisine. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The only drawback I can think of is that my wife and I liked the suite and the view so much that we didn't do as much sightseeing as we had planned to do. It seemed a shame to be anywhere else.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
Thanks so much, AKCuisine. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The only drawback I can think of is that my wife and I liked the suite and the view so much that we didn't do as much sightseeing as we had planned to do. It seemed a shame to be anywhere else.
That is certainly a vote of confidence!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:39 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

A word of warning, the Ambassador suite is a category above the Grand Harbor Executive Suite, which is smaller and can be worn. So adjust expectations accordingly.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
A word of warning, the Ambassador suite is a category above the Grand Harbor Executive Suite, which is smaller and can be worn. So adjust expectations accordingly.
I am aware of that, peteropny and thank you for the warning. But there's an old phrase that comes to mind beginning with the phrase: "Don't look a gift horse ... "
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, SPG Plat
Just checked out this afternoon. A word of warning - if you plan on being in the room after 9:30am or so on a weekday, be prepared for extreme noise pollution. I was on the 27th floor and felt like I was standing in a construction site. I know they are renovating, but I did not expect something quite this bad. Weekend was fine though, no audible signs of renovation. I wonder how many floors are being used as buffers??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.