Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Here again. I can't quit this place, it's the best Hyatt option for much of my business in Orlando.

Received a VIP suite at check in, but had to ask for it. Much, much better than the executive suites. Asked for and received late checkout for one of the two rooms. Club great as usual.

Better experience than recent ones. Still very good property if in need of some remodeling/investment.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I had another good stay recently. I asked about a suite upgrade but was told that they were sold out. However, I was given a room on the club floor with a view of the fireworks so I was happy with that. My room had a 65" LG TV! Apparently most/all of the rooms are getting this upgrade.

Room was booked using points. Resort fee and parking were waived automatically when I checked out
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I love this hotel. Just checked out of my 6th stay here. They always upgrade Globalist to suites without asking. The Loyalty coordinator is a very nice lady, super helpful. The club was closed because of low occupancy but they gave us free breakfast at the lakehouse and $25 to spend per night at the market. I love coming here on low season!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I stayed last January and didn't get a suite -- I simply got the room that was reserved and paid for.

Anyways, I thought I left a review for this but don't see it:

Great things about the place --
We did the Hyatt Camp for two days for the kid, and she was the only one there but the staff in the program were great and my daughter absolutely loved it.
The lounge is pretty excellent. Complementary wine, great desserts (perhaps the best desserts I've seen anywhere), decent breakfast and hors d'oerves layout. Definitely all around one of the best lounges I've been at (which is primarily US-based).
The location is pretty close to Orlando attractions without being 'at' the Orlando attractions. Disney is a quick ride 1 way, universal is a quick trip the other way. The hotel has a shuttle, I didn't use it , but the Uber fares were cheap and relatively fast.

Good thing about the place --
The amenities were good, but it is a resort property so they should be good. The grotto hot tubs were great, but the biggest pool is unheated and was ice cold (though it was in the winter, so I expected it to be so), and the smaller heated pool was still relatively chilly but otherwise nice. It would have been better if the heated pool was just a bit more heated. The workout facility was pretty decent. The pitch and putt course was fun but relatively meh, and the tennis courts are quite nice (though a bit of a trek). The bike/running trails around there was small. The "watercrafts" on the little pond were less than interesting though. Overall the amenities/resort stuff is positive, but not awe-inspiring.

Meh thing about the place --
Restaurants were a pretty average -- Not bad or anything, but I had many meals and nothing was memorable.

Things I didn't like about the place --
Elevators were a bit finicky -- would skip selected floors when they were being heavily used, requiring users to take long rides at times. Some woman yelled at me claiming I deselected her floor somehow after I saw my floor unlit half way up and repressed it. She wasn't the only 'interesting' character there either, a lot of the people at the hotel were kind of loud and rude (perhaps just typical Orlando tourists!).
The spa was pretty disappointing and expensive (for what it was).
The room service was ridiculously slow -- Called three times (once at midnight, once at 8, once at 4) and the wait was always at least 1 hour so I never used it.
There wasn't a business center to speak of and the lounge did not have printers. Was referred to the FedEx store to print stuff (and the staff there was very friendly, but it was disappointing to have to deal with that)

Overall, I would stay again.

Last edited by MarkOK; Sep 18, 2018 at 8:17 am
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I stayed last January and didn't get a suite -- I simply got the room that was reserved and paid for.

Anyways, I thought I left a review for this but don't see it:

Great things about the place --
We did the Hyatt Camp for two days for the kid, and she was the only one there but the staff in the program were great and my daughter absolutely loved it.
The lounge is pretty excellent. Complementary wine, great desserts (perhaps the best desserts I've seen anywhere), decent breakfast and hors d'oerves layout. Definitely all around one of the best lounges I've been at (which is primarily US-based).
The location is pretty close to Orlando attractions without being 'at' the Orlando attractions. Disney is a quick ride 1 way, universal is a quick trip the other way. The hotel has a shuttle, I didn't use it , but the Uber fares were cheap and relatively fast.

Good thing about the place --
The amenities were good, but it is a resort property so they should be good. The grotto hot tubs were great, but the biggest pool is unheated and was ice cold (though it was in the winter, so I expected it to be so), and the smaller heated pool was still relatively chilly but otherwise nice. It would have been better if the heated pool was just a bit more heated. The workout facility was pretty decent. The pitch and putt course was fun but relatively meh, and the tennis courts are quite nice (though a bit of a trek). The bike/running trails around there was small. The "watercrafts" on the little pond were less than interesting though. Overall the amenities/resort stuff is positive, but not awe-inspiring.

Meh thing about the place --
Restaurants were a pretty average -- Not bad or anything, but I had many meals and nothing was memorable.

Things I didn't like about the place --
Elevators were a bit finicky -- would skip selected floors when they were being heavily used, requiring users to take long rides at times. Some woman yelled at me claiming I deselected her floor somehow after I saw my floor unlit half way up and repressed it. She wasn't the only 'interesting' character there either, a lot of the people at the hotel were kind of loud and rude (perhaps just typical Orlando tourists!).
The spa was pretty disappointing and expensive (for what it was).
The room service was ridiculously slow -- Called three times (once at midnight, once at 8, once at 4) and the wait was always at least 1 hour so I never used it.
There wasn't a business center to speak of and the lounge did not have printers. Was referred to the FedEx store to print stuff (and the staff there was very friendly, but it was disappointing to have to deal with that)

Overall, I would stay again.
I have to agree with everything you said. Make sure to try the Lakeside breakfast once at least. It is really good. Also, now they have a printer in the Club. Maybe the hotel was pretty booked? This hotel is always full except on low season.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
I have to agree with everything you said. Make sure to try the Lakeside breakfast once at least. It is really good. Also, now they have a printer in the Club. Maybe the hotel was pretty booked? This hotel is always full except on low season.
The lounge breakfast was always pretty decent so I kept to that when I was there -- next time I will try to get a breakfast voucher for the restaurant!

The hotel was fairly well booked for the first half of my stay, that is when the elevator (and people) issues were bad (and the lounge was crowded) but then it cleared out my last few days. I remember seeing on the app suites still being available a couple of days before I left so I was hoping to get upgraded, but I didn't recheck day of or ask specifically when I showed up (I arrived so late that I was too tired to care). I was given the room directly next to the lounge (as in we shared a wall).
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'm a little late with this review...

Stayed for 3 nights in January. I had some special requests - mainly, to have a room large enough for us to bring our new small dog and to be at the end of a hallway. The main purpose of the trip was to start training the dog to fly and stay in a hotel room. (he was 15 months at the time).

I booked an award stay and used a suite upgrade. I also offered to pay for an upgraded suite if they could give me one. They did - for $75 per night and we had one of the suites with the enormous patio. The dog had plenty of room to play. And we didn't worry about disturbing other guests.

The hotel went above and beyond for us. They accommodated all of our requests even though it was a holiday weekend. We needed a night light so we and the dog could see our way into the bathroom (the dog is wee wee pad trained and used it). The VIP manager couldn't find one, so the REVENUE manager stole a desk lap from his coworker so we could use it for a few nights

The new GM is very nice and insists every member of his managerial staff gets out of their office and mingle with guests. That's how the revenue manager learned of our need for a nightlight.

We didn't use the pool, nor go downstairs to the pool area. It was on the chilly side.

My husband used the spa for a massage and was totally underwhelmed and said he wouldn't go back.

The lounge was the same as in the past. They allowed us to bring the dog as long as we sat outdoors which we did. The food was the standard lounge fair - nothing really special. Ditto for breakfast. But it was more than adequate for us.

I used to be a huge fan of the hotel, then soured due to the actions of their GM, and now I plan on happily going back.
LIH Prem and luvFclass like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I used to be a huge fan of the hotel, then soured due to the actions of their GM, and now I plan on happily going back.
Thanks for the great writeup, Mary2e.

I have been a fan of this resort since we first attended with two families in 2014. Have been three times, but have not been back very recently.

During what period did the GM you dislike reside at the property? And do you happen to know how long the new one has been there? I'm trying to figure out whose reign our various stays might have overlapped with. TIA!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:59 am

Thanks. I can't remember just how new he is. I did meet him in the lobby while he was greeting guests. I think his name is Steve. I would have to look at my emails.

I disliked the hotel, as did most of the employees, during Paul Tang's reign (of terror). He was transferred to Hill Country I believe. I do know the employees are much happier now then when I had been there previously - and that was well over 5 years ago.

The VIP manager is also new and she is a pleasure to work with. I didn't run into a single employee that was not cheery nor welcoming.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:13 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Just returned from 4 nights here and left happy in the end wanting to come back
Though I had some hiccups with 2 rooms on arrival with non functioning AC in near 100 degree weather (stood sweating) they eventually upgraded me to a 3rd room
into a really nice suite and the room was almost to chilly^ I had to turn the AC down which is my preference of the two scenarios !
Club was lackluster in variety and quality compared to a year ago but still better then some other Hyatt's in North America.
But the lounge is no Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego that's for sure by any stretch.Because they don't get many business travelers mostly families they lock up all bottled water etc
I decided to just dine in the restaurant for breakfast daily instead which I fully enjoyed minus a few small caveats
Enjoyed the welcoming hosts in the morning at breakfast at The lakeside and the seasoned long tenured servers and the great buffet selection.
The only negative was how bad the produce/fruit spoiled out of season to ripe or to hard Club same issue
After 4 days of it I was ready to drive to the supermarket and buy my own
Otherwise I would say a really good performance for the most part.The unbrowned sausage was another small disappointment but the bacon was perfect and on point
Many of the restaurants team members are incredibly friendly and welcoming and to their credit have been there for decades

The highlight of the stay was dinner at Hemingways.
The heated to perfection rosemary bread delicious,the crab cake good (but I've had better with larger pieces) and their stand out main dish stunning melt in your mouth scallops over a Beurre blanc
sauce with fresh corn and bits of bacon intertwined.Was hoping for key lime pie but they discontinued it
Its been a long time since Hyatt wowed me at the dinner table but in this location the magic is back and its a not to be missed experience and the Hyatt I signed up for
I hope the magic spreads with the great dining quality to more than a few Hyatt's that have become tired and routine
The team was mostly great and the I will return for that and Hemmingways though I'm not a fan of being next to Disney and the horrible traffic the area getting to and from the hotel
The fitness center is well above average though having to walk past the pool with the wet slippery floors heat & humidity with the occasional downpours wasn't the best case scenario to access the facility

As a warning the self parking is now free but because the nearby lots are closed you are going far away to park and taking a shuttle too and from your car
I drove to the lot and said #### no and used valet parking which was reduced to 15 dollars a day to the inconvenience
Self parking meant sweating your ### of to and from in the shuttle or worse getting soaked in one of their downpours.Use Valet and don't think twice!!
unless not using your car
Eventually when construction is finished the nearby lot will reopen and self parking will be charged again
Aventine likes this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 5, 2019 at 6:50 pm
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
This hotel has quietly transformed itself into a dog hotel. There are dogs everywhere, and some guests "sneaking" their dogs in without the extra fees. Not surprising it was downgraded a level on the award chart. It has gone downhill over the past few years unfortunately.
Maui4me1 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller
This hotel has quietly transformed itself into a dog hotel. There are dogs everywhere, and some guests "sneaking" their dogs in without the extra fees. Not surprising it was downgraded a level on the award chart. It has gone downhill over the past few years unfortunately.
Hmmm... stayed there multiple times over the past year. Never, not ONCE seen a dog. Still a gorgeous property and a great value for 12k points.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:57 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I did see a few dogs and I'm not a fan of animals in public spaces airports/hotels,planes etc as much as pets are awesome the potential is there for trouble
Suppose your experience will vary based on when you go and if its a hotel or a boarding kennel
Though I don't think the property has gone to the dogs just yet and I doubt the category drop had anything to do with that
There are some areas in the hotel that could be improved on within the facility.The property has been around for some time and its still a nice property
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:30 am

I brought my 8 pound dog and requested a specific room (suite) at the end of the hall to ensure we wouldn't disturb other guests.

He was well behaved and made no mess. The hotel is pet friendly. I did not sneak in my dog, the VIP manager was well aware I had him with me. I can't remember if I was charged the pet fee, but I've found most hotels haven't charged me, with the exception of a Hilton property in SC.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I brought my 8 pound dog and requested a specific room (suite) at the end of the hall to ensure we wouldn't disturb other guests.

He was well behaved and made no mess. The hotel is pet friendly. I did not sneak in my dog, the VIP manager was well aware I had him with me. I can't remember if I was charged the pet fee, but I've found most hotels haven't charged me, with the exception of a Hilton property in SC.
This whole dog thing is an interesting phenomenon. I'm a dog lover but think dogs have no place in most public facilities such as hotels and restaurants. While you may be respectful with your animal, the reality is that a large percentage of travelers aren't and there is rampant abuse going on with so called comfort animals. The hotel chains (Hyatt) are simply responding to a small but extremely vocal minority in allowing animals in - something they would have never done even ten years ago. We will see how this evolves but I suspect after incidents invariably go up (bites, injuries, etc.) and lead to lawsuits, dogs will be out again.
diamond_46 and Maui4me1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.