Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Property has a sale, 102USD a night is a great deal for this place.

Had 8 stays last year and already had one stay this year and I'm heading back this weekend.

Club still not open, let's keep it that way . You score 3500 points every night here because of that and breakfast at Red Marlin is phenomenal. You can order whatever you want from the menu as a Diamond or have the buffet (when available).

They always upgrade Diamonds to their 600 sqft corner suites, I have 100% success. Nothing fancy, but roomy, very light and open, with great view (see Bliss's pictures earlier in the thread). Balcony is nice. They also comp the water if you ask. Beds are great. New iHomes that actually charges your iPhone.

No parking around the property, you have to pay, valet can be very slow at times. I recommend self park, very convenient.

I have been comped self park as a Diamond this far, but the girl who checked me out this week, told me that "she would comp me, but it was a one time excemption." We shall see when I go there this weekend

All in all a great property with awesome Diamond recognition

Last edited by tommy777; Jan 5, 2011 at 10:11 pm Reason: edited the points as hotel doesn't have G offer in January
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by tommy777
Property has a sale, 102USD a night is a great deal for this place.
Hmm, I see $135/night 48 hrs sale rate for MLK weekend. Since I was already committed to going to San Diego that weekend and had procrastinated on booking a hotel, this sale (and your post) came just in time Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Hmm, I see $135/night 48 hrs sale rate for MLK weekend. Since I was already committed to going to San Diego that weekend and had procrastinated on booking a hotel, this sale (and your post) came just in time Thanks!
Cool. I will be there for Sunday and Monday night that weekend (Aviara Friday and Saturday)

Found the 102 price for this weekend and also later in January
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:03 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Cool. I will be there for Sunday and Monday night that weekend (Aviara Friday and Saturday)

Found the 102 price for this weekend and also later in January
Its a steal in a great hotel if you are going to SD
if there were some GP promotions running I'd probably be booking too
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:10 pm

PS! I see that this property doesn't have a G offer for January/February... , still a good deal
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
PS! I see that this property doesn't have a G offer for January/February... , still a good deal
Yeah, bummer, the only one in San Diego, it seems. Oh well, we're going for the weather, not the points... I think
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: HH: Diamond, WofH: Globalist, UA: 1k, Longterm member only post when I have something new to ask/say
Originally Posted by Vuelos
It doesn't come close to Andaz SD either.

Was not pleased with the suite earlier this year (used upgrade cert) so I checked out early and went over to the Andaz. MUCH better location (unless you want Sea World) and more my speed.

I would disagree about the location being "good" unless you wanted to do Sea World...

I'm in total agreement. I also used a confirmed diamond upgrade, and got stuck in the motel style building next to the main hotel, and would add that they have metal window shutters in the bedroom that do not keep the light out properly, and ill-fitting windows that do not keep the early morning noise from the talkers going to the Hyatt gym building opposite these suites. There's also the noise from seals barking, but that's kind of cute. Not cute: the way the waiters make you sign a check where they have circled the amount, to try to get you to tip, even though the certificate you get as a Diamond says tip included. We stayed here for a week last Xmas, and the tips added up to $70 (we couldn't not tip given the fuss they made about it). Also the red marlin breakfast is ok for two or three days, but after that, since absolutely nothing changes, it becomes a bit boring (you can order a la carte of course, but it took forever). For our last two nights, we finally complained about the noise, and were moved into the main hotel with the large corner suite, which is actually one large room with a curtained off bed as opposed to a two room suite. However this is much better, since you feel like you are in a real hotel but if you actually need two rooms, for light sleepers or whatever, then this is not a good alternative. Overall, I think $102 is decent, I would not pay more than $150 for this property. Inconsistent check-out information, comping self park for some but not others, seems to have been going on for a whole year.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by yaromac
I'm in total agreement. I also used a confirmed diamond upgrade, and got stuck in the motel style building next to the main hotel, and would add that they have metal window shutters in the bedroom that do not keep the light out properly, and ill-fitting windows that do not keep the early morning noise from the talkers going to the Hyatt gym building opposite these suites. There's also the noise from seals barking, but that's kind of cute. Not cute: the way the waiters make you sign a check where they have circled the amount, to try to get you to tip, even though the certificate you get as a Diamond says tip included. We stayed here for a week last Xmas, and the tips added up to $70 (we couldn't not tip given the fuss they made about it). Also the red marlin breakfast is ok for two or three days, but after that, since absolutely nothing changes, it becomes a bit boring (you can order a la carte of course, but it took forever). For our last two nights, we finally complained about the noise, and were moved into the main hotel with the large corner suite, which is actually one large room with a curtained off bed as opposed to a two room suite. However this is much better, since you feel like you are in a real hotel but if you actually need two rooms, for light sleepers or whatever, then this is not a good alternative. Overall, I think $102 is decent, I would not pay more than $150 for this property. Inconsistent check-out information, comping self park for some but not others, seems to have been going on for a whole year.
I have never used a suite upgrade cert at this property, it's unnecessary. Have never stayed in the suites you are referring to, from what I heard, they are family styles suites and not that nice, but the corner suites have no noise issues and are very light and spacious. They have 30-40 of these suites and I would request one of those.

I assume you are referring to the buffet at the Red Marlin and you are incorrect. They change the eggs and also the waffle/pancakes offerings every day. If you compare this to a buffet at any other Hyatt that's not a resort, the buffet is very good and if the lack of variety bothers you, you can just order anything you want from the menu. I have had a lot of stays at this property the last year and I have had breakfast at the Red Marlin every time. I have never encountered a long wait for the food and I have never experienced pushy waiters looking for tips.. You are also incorrect about the Diamond coupons. They say that gratuity is NOT included. If I was working there and served you, I would expect to get paid, wouldn't you??

As for the parking, take it for granted that you have to pay for it, no other hotel in the area gives you free parking (Hyatt La Jolla 25 bucks, Manchester Grand 30 bucks, Andaz 32). If you get it comped, great for you, I'm happy for everyone who scores a freebie. I would rather have a chance of getting a freebie than not have a chance to get one at all.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I have never used a suite upgrade cert at this property, it's unnecessary. Have never stayed in the suites you are referring to, from what I heard, they are family styles suites and not that nice, but the corner suites have no noise issues and are very light and spacious. They have 30-40 of these suites and I would request one of those.

I assume you are referring to the buffet at the Red Marlin and you are incorrect. They change the eggs and also the waffle/pancakes offerings every day. If you compare this to a buffet at any other Hyatt that's not a resort, the buffet is very good and if the lack of variety bothers you, you can just order anything you want from the menu. I have had a lot of stays at this property the last year and I have had breakfast at the Red Marlin every time. I have never encountered a long wait for the food and I have never experienced pushy waiters looking for tips.. You are also incorrect about the Diamond coupons. They say that gratuity is NOT included. If I was working there and served you, I would expect to get paid, wouldn't you??

As for the parking, take it for granted that you have to pay for it, no other hotel in the area gives you free parking (Hyatt La Jolla 25 bucks, Manchester Grand 30 bucks, Andaz 32). If you get it comped, great for you, I'm happy for everyone who scores a freebie. I would rather have a chance of getting a freebie than not have a chance to get one at all.
I have to disagree with you. The corner rooms (not suites) can have noise issues. The west facing rooms overlook the pool, so if its nice out kids will start playing quite early and can be heard easily in the higher rooms. The east facing rooms usually have the seals barking at the crack of dawn.

The last time I was there I was not upgraded to a corner room and have always had to pay for parking. I guess they just like you more.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Anybody notice the senior rate (not AARP) is $90.30 + tax this weekend (Fri & Sat night)??
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:26 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Noticed that, but have to be there Sunday, not earlier, so checked Irvine, which is also $90ish, with G2 and closed club. Went for Irvine.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
You are also incorrect about the Diamond coupons. They say that gratuity is NOT included. If I was working there and served you, I would expect to get paid, wouldn't you??
When I stayed there a year ago, the breakfast certificate most certainly did say that the gratuity was included. I think I even took a picture of it. They did the same thing back then by circling the total and such. For the tip section, I always wrote in, "Included with Diamond breakfast".

I wasn't charged for parking, either. I had actually booked the lowrise suites on one of their deals, but the light and noise could be a bit annoying. You could hear the cleaning cart go up and down the walkway all the time.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG gold,Marriott silver, AA, UA, Delta
Stayed there Friday in a great corner suite on 14, poolside at the $90 rate. Amazing view in 2 directions. 2500 pts. for still closed RC. Diamond buffet breakfast. Coupon plainly states "gratuity not included". Nor is it removed from the bill at checkout. Hotel reminds me of a Florida resort hotel. Hotel restaurant happy hour 3-5. If not eating at the hotel's restaurant the only place to walk to eat is a tiny seafood shack just beyond the workout building which was charmingly funky and had good wines by the bottle for close to retail. I recommend the Firestone Sauvignon Blanc $12 a bottle. Pacific Rim Riesling $10.50.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by jim87
Stayed there Friday in a great corner suite on 14, poolside at the $90 rate. Amazing view in 2 directions. 2500 pts. for still closed RC. Diamond buffet breakfast. Coupon plainly states "gratuity not included". Nor is it removed from the bill at checkout. Hotel reminds me of a Florida resort hotel. Hotel restaurant happy hour 3-5. If not eating at the hotel's restaurant the only place to walk to eat is a tiny seafood shack just beyond the workout building which was charmingly funky and had good wines by the bottle for close to retail. I recommend the Firestone Sauvignon Blanc $12 a bottle. Pacific Rim Riesling $10.50.
The seafood place was pretty decent. The gratuity thing must have happened last year sometime.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by jim87
I was two floors below you.

Stayed in suite 1220, my first time on that side and I would avoid the --20 suites as there will be noise from the pool in the AMs and also the ice machine out in the hallway sporadically. Recommend to request the -19 or if the seals bother you, the -01 suites

Parking comped without even asking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.