Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA2mm,HGPdiamond, AAExPlat, MarriottGold
Stayed at Islandia twice this year. Both UG to RC Ocean view. As stated earlier, the RC is nothing special but a place for light breakfast, truly simple 'continental'. Evening not much better. Rooms VERY 'ordinary'.

Suites are nice have been 'upgraded' to them a few times over the years. Overlook boat harbor but didn't get RC access with those UG.

Spend the $8-10 for self park. Street is very 'iffy'.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I stayed here a lot in the Jan/Feb timeframe as its a cheap Hyatt property. The grounds are ok, the rooms are ok, the lounge was adequate. all of my rooms were on the club floor and facing the bay which was nice.

One hint on the parking, they require a parking pass, at the time it was $5 however what I was told by others with me, was that they would pay for one night, put the pass in their window and then use it on all their subsequent stays and NEVER once got charged for parking or had any issues. There isn't a gate to go in or out so anyone can just drive in or out. In addition, due to the dew at night the windows get covered so they can't really see the parking passes
Old Jul 29, 2005, 7:34 pm

Programs: Various
The only real benefit to this location is the proximity to the Beach. I have stayed at this location a few times, and think there are alot of areas that need attention to bring it up to Hyatt Standard. Most of the doors are warped due to the coastal climate (ie they creak and get stuck when opening and closing) some areas have a concern of mildew (either with odor or appearnce) and the fixtures/furniture are quite worn or outdated. I considered writing a letter of concern to the GM, but I didn't feel it would make much difference, I'll just try to plan it out to get La Jolla/Aventine or Manchester Grand.

Reviews can also be found at trip advisor.com:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:12 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Hyatt Islandia San Diego $50 million (!!!) Renovation

I stayed at this hotel 7 years or so ago and it was in desperate need of renovation back then, I'm going to San Diego this weekend and couldn't use FFN at the Manchester and don't care much for the LaJolla's location so settled for the Islandia. While looking through the website I noticed they are apparently starting a $50 million renovation (wow, $50 million!). Not much in details, you can read about it here.

Looks pretty "Hyatt-ish", consistent with other recently remodeled properties, there was some question as to the fate of this property 18 months ago apparently (previous thread).

Anyway, I think we can expect renovated rooms to be available soon it looks like, so anyone staying here might make it a point to try and get a newly renovated room.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
What really interrests me is the new pools they add. Maybe a nice riverpool? Does anyone know further details?
Old Jan 9, 2007, 3:30 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

That property will need every penny of the 50 million.
I had no heat on my last stay on a fairly chilly night.
Breakfast was great in the morning though.........

The rates have gotten so high in San Diego I just signed a lease.
Now I have a guarantee of a great place year round and no worries of brand satisfaction in a city I frequently visit.
The new place is better then any hotel (actually it once was) but was converted to brand new rentals.
Best of all it is cheaper with ten times the amenities.
I am excited not to be held hostage anymore in my favorite city.
No sell outs ,no absurd prices,check in or check outs. For just double the price of the parking charges per day.^
I have a great place with designer kitchen and cabinets too.
And eventually I will probably buy
Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:50 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Stayed there on Saturday and ended up in the very recently renovated 16th floor. The floor had a new construction smell and apparently had just been turned over in the last 4 days and still in progress. The room numbers were on plastic signs on the wall and there was no place to hang toilet paper in the washroom. So far only 16 and 17 are done.

This will be one of the RC floors, although the lounge is closed until the construction is finished. The style is very modern and sleek. With the standard grand bed, comfortable sofa with leather footstools serving a table foot stool combo. The bathroom had a marble top with stainless steel frame and the bathroom had no tub, but a tub sized shower with modern European style taps and sliding glass door.

The table across from the bed was meant to have the flat screen over the dresser with the desk at the end; however, the flat screen was not in yet so a large table covered the desk surface. The balcony had two nice padded chairs and small table and was very welcoming. Overall looked good, but definitely a work in progress. Only the main tower was open and only the unrenovated bottom floors and the two top ones. The low rise ground level rooms are totally gutted, but slowly being replaced with a tan stucco that reminded me a bit of Indian Wells.

The pools are all closed as were most of the restaurants, but looks like they are promoting a nice pool area with multiple pools and water slides.

When they are done it also looks like they are re-branding the property. The robe in my room said something like Hyatt San Diego Mission Bay Marina and Spa, with no mention of Islandia. All the signs say it will be done in Summer 2007, but looks like a lot to be done. However, does seem like it should be worth the wait.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:05 am

Programs: HGP Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by bbbb
Any one stayed here recently? Hows the remodel going and how are diamonds being treated? Is there a free shuttle to Mission Beach?

Thanks

We just stayed at HR Islandia at the end of May. The construction is still going on, and you have to walk through some boarded up walkways to get to the escalator, but we were able to get into one of the newly remodeled rooms, which was very impressive, along with an Ocean view. I would definitely consider staying there again. We split our trip between San Diego and LA. We stayed at the West Hollywood Hyatt while in LA. The West Hollywood Hyatt has MAJOR renovation going on, with drilling and hammering promptly at 9am, so be wary (for anyone planning on staying there).

Not sure about the shuttle to Mission Bay because we rented a car. Hope this info was helpful!
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:37 pm

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago, the rooms in the tower are renovated, but the public spaces and pool is still being worked on, and the pool still looked like it had a way to go, though they had a picture of what it's going to look like and it will be very nice, a freeform pool with a zero degree entry as well as a waterslide and very nice landscaping.

I took a few pictures of the Junior Suite we were given, you can see them here.

Moderator(s) ~ It would probably be a good idea to change the hotel name in the title of this thread to "Hyatt Mission Bay" since that is what the hotel is now called and folks searching may not know to search for Islandia in the future.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:16 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by bbbb
Any one stayed here recently? Hows the remodel going and how are diamonds being treated? Is there a free shuttle to Mission Beach?

Thanks
I just checked out from this property this morning. They don't have a regular free shuttle to the beach, but they will drive you in the House Car to Mission Beach. i think it's pretty cheesy that you have to ask for this, as the front desk never volunteered this information and this service is nowhere to be found in the room services notebook. Then again, unless you want to cab it everywhere (which is expensive since San Diego is sprawling), you should get a car anyway.

The renovations to the rooms are nice. I had the same type of suite in the Tower that the last poster had (free upgrade). there's still renovations on the outside property and I don't know if they're doing anything to the lobby, but they really need to. It's a tiny lobby and there is no place for anyone to sit down (not one single chair).

In any case, I really enjoyed the room. Very spacious and the large flat screen tv was nice. If it matters, there was no bath tub in my room. just a shower stall.

Parking is $14 a day for self-park and $16 for valet.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by thc
there's still renovations on the outside property and I don't know if they're doing anything to the lobby, but they really need to. It's a tiny lobby and there is no place for anyone to sit down (not one single chair).
I would have to think that the lobby will be moving back to where it was previously in the small building to the north of the tower or into the tower itself when the renovations are complete, the current location is only temporary until that time.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is still construction going on around the grounds.

The place was quite empty last week - low season at SeaWorld and RC was closed. I got a great spacious ocean view room on RC floor.

Never stayed at Manchester and it was my first stay here so it's hard to draw a comparison for you however I liked this place more than several other recently renovated but less expensive Hyatts (SFO, ORD, Santa Clara).
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
I stayed at Hyatt islandia last week. The Regency club & the pools were closed. They said they close the RC when it's slow. The room on the 36rd floor I had was renovated very nicely and had a fantastic view. It was disappointing not to have the RC open, the breakfast provided in the restaurant was pretty lame--fruit cups, cereal, or baked goods.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 2:13 pm

A property worth taking the extra small detour for

It’s been a long time since I have had a very positive contribution in the Hyatt forum but it is with great pleasure to say IMO that the Hyatt Mission Bay has a runaway hit on its hands and a miracle turn around from what it once was.
My Diamond Gold Passport recognition was simply outstanding and the brand standard in this property highly positive. At check in
they informed me that the Regency Club would be closed. Not a problem as I would barely be on property except to sleep
They also mentioned the lounge would be reopening very soon in the days ahead

At check in as a courtesy to the club closure they offered a food and beverage choice in addition to the amenity points. The lobby looks spectacular especially when one thinks about how it once was.

I received an upgrade to the 17th club floor overlooking the entire marina and skyline of Downtown San Diego that was breathtaking. As I walked out onto the nice size balcony I looked back into the suite and remembered what it once was and thought there may be hope for any hotel. The room had a W Hotel like feel to it with all the goodies refrigerator,office with desk, flat screen TV, I pod and architect designed faucet with granite counter in the bathroom.

This hotel in just one stay has become one of my top choices in the San Diego area.
The Manchester and La Jolla would be some of my last choices as they are highly overpriced and only satisfactory or better

My congratulations to all at the Mission Bay for a product that those who visit San Diego can be proud of to stay in and for valuing Diamond Gold Passport members better then anytime in the history of the hotel.^
Hyatt Mission Bay is a keeper
Lets hope they don't let up the new dedication/ direction anytime soon

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 28, 2008 at 2:31 pm
Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Any word on when the pool will be opening?
According to the hotel the adult pool is open but the two kiddie pools are awaiting a lifeguard and still presently closed.You may want to recheck depending on your dates of travel if this is a concern.
I didn't have time to eat breakfast let alone swim in the rain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.