Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2004, 1:08 pm

I was in one of the Grand mini suite on the 10th floor two weeks ago. It also does not have a bath but very modern bath room.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Angry Bad Service in Singapore.

I was at the GH Singapore about 3 weeks ago and was allocated a room without a bath. I duly filled in the comment card and was contacted by email to advise that they would guarantee a bath for my next visit.

I flew in yesterday overnight from LHR and arrived at the hotel at 1745. No room, in fact, there would not be a room for a further 45 minutes as the room they had allocated me was still not clean and they had nothing else.

I find this extraordinary as this is one of the meanest hotels in terms of late checkout.

As a Diamond Gold Passport member, I asked if they could help, and the front desk agent advised 'No'.

In 45 minutes I came back and they magically found me another room, of course not the one that they had blocked, but it's a room.

During my wait the agent offered me a drink in the bar, but refused access to the Grand Club to which they were going to give me access anyway when they had a room.

I asked for the Duty Manager to call me, but of course, s/he hasn't!

No Diamond Gold Passport Amenity, again, of course.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 1:30 pm

Programs: SQSolitaire,Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, CO Platinum,
I am not surprised.....

It is the worst Hyatt in the world....I have taken the business to Ritz.

R
Old Apr 9, 2004, 1:55 pm

I’m sorry to hear about the problems in SIN. I’ve had several stays there without incident, but my last stay was a year ago so maybe things have gone downhill. They’ve never understood the concept of ‘Diamond Amenity’, but I’ve always accepted that this seems fairly standard at Hyatt’s in Asia. I’ve always thought the pluses at this hotel were the big towels, a great gym, and for me at least, constant upgrades to ‘Grand Rooms’.

What I really don’t understand is their logic in not letting Markie access to the club while waiting for the room to be cleaned. I know Singaporeans are set in their ways, but that does not make any sense.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 4:36 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I've had problems at GH SIN (upgrade, amenity, etc) and have vowed never to go back there as well... Conrad took care of me right and will be my first choice to stay in SIN.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Hmm....why am I not at all surprised. I think the OP's experience mirrored mine back in Dec. when I was not even granted GC rooms nor access, simply because they were "tight" with GC rooms.

I received a box of chocolates from Mezza9 though, as an amenity, but I think I got that only after arguing what my status would do for me at the hotel, as 1. I couldn't use the GC for cocktails (checked in after 8PM),
2. I won't use breakfast (checked out at 8AM), and 3. I won't get an upgraded accommodations (in fact, I got a miserable 8th floor Garden Wing room which the agent said was "very nice"!)

Somehow, I have always been lied to at this property. What's more interesting was when I went by the check in counter at around 1AM I witnessed a gentleman with UA tags in a heated argument with the desk manager with the agent who checked me in. Needless to say, I was very certain what that argument was about.

The renovated GC rooms are nice, but if I had to argue my way in, I can happily tell them to keep it vacant as I will be taking my business (and my colleagues') elsewhere.

Sadly, the Conrad hadn't been treating me very well either (I'm a Gold), so it prompted to comment that SIN hotels are very stingy with Frequent Program upgrades. The same is true for Hilton, Sheraton, GH, Marriott, and Conrad (in my experience).
Old Apr 9, 2004, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA AA HGP SPG HH
Mirrors my experiece in March

Before I made a SIN run in March, I read about lots of warning. It's was my fault for not following. Partly, I was impressed with upgrade to "Grand room"(Not Grand club) as Plat. I was really supprised and annoyed to get worse upgrade as Diamond.(And they are not sold out on those rooms either) It seems they tightened their upgrade significantly after the remodeling.

I got promise from GM to upgrade me to a suite on my next visit. Markie's experience is not very encouraging.

Considering I usually stay at SJC Hyatt.(In fact, I at this property right now), so nobody can accuse me of being spoiled or picky. It really should told you something when I start to boycott a particular property.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by SFOLIS
I got promise from GM to upgrade me to a suite on my next visit. Markie's experience is not very encouraging.
...It really should told you something when I start to boycott a particular property.
Would it be of any use if we'd all petition or inform Hyatt Corporate of such violation of Hyatt T&C by this property and kindly ask Corporate to do something about it?

It's very discouraging to get off a long flight at night and still have to deal with this kind of non-sense. I hope the GH SIN don't get away with this "exception" to GC or RC upgrades by calling itself a "resort" property!
Old Apr 10, 2004, 6:38 am

Programs: JL JGP, NH SFC and Platinum, GP Diamond, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
It was a great hospitality as I stayed GH SG this Jan. As a GP Diamond Member, I was given a GC room and a small amenity. Booked a regular room through Hyatt.com. Also, they allowed me a late check out by 16:00 and usage of GC to stay till 20:00 depature flight. I never had this experience at other Hyatt hotels. Be honest, most likely this hotel provides fixed service(services what they have to do) and Frequent Program upgrades are very limited to most of SG hotels such as Sheraton, Hilton, Conrad and Marriott.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 5:00 pm

Programs: SQSolitaire,Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, CO Platinum,
Hyatt Singapore - Please Read

I have been staying at Hyatt Singapore for 3 years now and service has gone down hill. The mail reason is RC Manager who is not only incompetent but also is biased to certain race. Last time I had complained to Hyatt management in Singapore and no one bothered to get back to me. I have documented such cases two times it has happened to me with my staff who is white American and not even a Hyatt Platinum but was upgraded and I was told to wait after coming From Tokyo at 2 AM and my card being already charged for room rent (confirmed booking).

Now I am doumenting and need help from people who had this issue at Hyatt Singapore.

I am not complaining about upgrades or not getting Chocolates but getting treated fairly. I am a Immigrant with a high post in a multinational company.

I am not going to allow Hyatt Singapore to get away and I have the resources to fight them.

I need help from fellow members. Hyatt is a good chain but sometime you have bad management at a property.

Ritz has been very good to me. In fact too good. I have just started staying there and experience has been good. Same rates as Hyatt but Big rooms, great bath, Great Club service with food and bev. available whole day till 10.30PM. Great staff.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:02 am

Colleagues -- Similar Experience

As if this issue has similarity, I have received news from a colleague in our Malaysia office who stayed at the GH SIN prior to the Easter Holidays that he, too, was NOT upgraded to GC rooms.

In fact, I knew the GH would be up to its dirty trick and TOLD HIM well in advance to call the hotel directly to ask for GC rooms for sale prior to checking in. He did, and was offered up to 5 GC rooms just 30 mins. before his arrival.

Upon arrival, of course no GC room was given to him. He was first told that they were "sold out." When he escalated the issue to a desk manager, even almost went as far as "banging the desk" the manager refused to provide any upgrade, even when told "either YOU or YOUR RESERVATIONIST is lying to me." The manager finally did nothing but commented that GC rooms are for "paying guests only." He was infuriated that he vowed he will never recommend anyone in the office to stay there again.

His experience mirrored mine, and also those of many others on this board. He is writing a letter to Hyatt Management to inform them of his experience.

Just for the record, he is ethnic Chinese from Malaysia, and I don't know if that had even more to do with alleged "discrimination." As far as I know about SIN, the population tends to discriminate those of Malaysian and Indian/Pakistani descant, and I've seen that not only at the hotels but also on SQ, which is a primary reason that I no longer use it (and abandoned the coveted PPS Club). CX does the same sometimes, but not nearly to the degree of SQ that it infuriates even those observing/witnessing the incidents.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by mrakant
Now I am doumenting and need help from people who had this issue at Hyatt Singapore.

I am not complaining about upgrades or not getting Chocolates but getting treated fairly. I am a Immigrant with a high post in a multinational company.

I am not going to allow Hyatt Singapore to get away and I have the resources to fight them.

I need help from fellow members. Hyatt is a good chain but sometime you have bad management at a property.
Thanks for documenting this. My colleagues and I will be more than happy to assist you in compiling the experiences. I agree that the GH SIN should not get away with this nonsense. The comment of a desk manager that GC rooms are for "paying guests only" is not only against GP rules, but also proves that the GH SIN will LIE to guests in their face. This is totally unacceptable.

Either the GH SIN can choose to stay with the GP Program and continue to be affiliated with Hyatt, or they can leave the chain and stop providing benefits altogether, if they are so reluctant to do so.
Old May 29, 2004, 9:01 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Good experience at GH Singapore

After reading the negative comments in this forum, it was with some trepidation that I booked a room the last few days at the GH Singapore. However, I decided to give it a try and see what my relatively new Diamond status did for me.

Overall I was quite happy. On check-in, the clerk said they were pleased to upgrade me as a Diamond to a "junior suite" Grand room (I was on a S$200/nite corporate rate) with Grand Club access. I was also handed a welcome letter explaining the hours and services of the Grand Club. I think I recall some negative comment about these rooms in a past thread. However, I thought the room was excellent. In my view it is a real suite, not junior. The living room is fully separate with a large entrance area, excellent work desk with broadband and decent sized sitting area with a two person couch and separate chair. A meeting for 4 people would be very comfortable. In fact, I chose to have a business meeting with two other people in my room rather than the GC since it was more private. Comfortable bedroom and very large bathroom with separate shower.

On a 3 night stay, there was no amenity the first day/night (complimentary bottled water in the evening but, I think that is standard). The 2nd night there was a box of chocolates on the coffee table. The 3rd day a couple of apples. I have the feeling these are standard amenities for everyone or at least all GC guests. Just the same, I didn't feel slighted.

Newly renovated Grand Club was great (and not overly crowded, even at peak hours). I found staff friendly and helpful.

I was scheduled for checkout on Saturday and decided to try and use one of my expiring FFNs to extend my check-out until 9:30pm (the hotel offered 3:00pm checkout without extra charge but said later than 6:00pm would incur a full charge). I called the Diamond desk in the US and they said there was no award space, only premium rooms available. I explained I just wanted to use the award for a late checkout but, they said there wasn't anything they could do and please check wtih the hotel. It was midnight in Singapore and I called the duty manager. I explained the situation, he said he would leave a note for reservations in the morning and ask them to try and do something. He also offered to let me use the room for only 50% of the normal rate in any case. The next morning I checked wtih the GC staff who immediately called reservations who said they would try and work it out. Next time I passed by the GC, one of the ladies addressed me by name and said it had all been taken care of.

All in all, I had a very pleasant stay, found the accommodations excellent (particularly for the price), and would readily stay again (with fingers crossed that I repeated this experience not that of other contributors to this board).
Old Jul 15, 2004, 1:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Diamond & Courtesy Card/ M&M GOLD
Grand Hyatt in SIN

I will be staying at the Grand Hyatt next sunday and was wondering if it does worth to get a Grand Deluxe room. They say it's in a new part of the hotel.
Anyone has ever tried it?
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:28 pm
Patron

Go for the Grand Tower!

Grand Hyatt Singapore offers separate wings, namely the completely refurbished Grand Wing – an all suite tower - and Terrace Wing. Letting the FFN promotion aside, SGD 225,-- +++ for a standard room at the Terrace Wing is relatively expensive, if you compare it with other properties in Singapore. I would not go for one of these rooms. If you are holding a GP Diamond Card, you should get a Grand wing room on regular floors (5th to 12th floor), but not necessarily Grand Club rooms (13th to 21st floor)

Bottom line: If I like to stay at the GH Singapore, I would invest the SGD 40,-- +++ surcharge for a Grand Tower room, if I am not sure to get a room there.

Good experience at GH Singapore
GH Singapore with new clubfloor
GH Singapore rates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.