Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:53 pm

Quite honestly I would save my money if I were you and book a regular room. The only real benefit of an RC room is the actual RC access. It is wasted the first night. And since you already get breakfast/lunch, half the RC access will be wasted anyway. And if you REALLY want to get in there, just take the elevator to the top floor, come down the stairs (thus bypassing the RC gatekeepers) and go grab yourself a few beers and snacks quickly and sneak out before you are asked for a room number. But as far as the rooms, they are the same size as non-RC rooms. They may have been renevated slightly more recently (?), but I've had both RC and non-RC and there really wasn't much of a difference. Some of the rooms though have a separate shower and tub and some don't, but I think that is due to room location/layout rather than RC vs. non-RC.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:35 pm

Thanks for the advice.
That is what we decided to do as well. I changed to the regular room to save the $$. Amex Plat Travel Services said with the FHR program, as long as there is a Club room, we'll get upgraded so that will be a nice bonus, if it happens.

Does anyone know if the view for 101 is the "mountain", "city" or "plaza" view?
Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2006, 6:37 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
[QUOTE=168]
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I have no status with Hyatt. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

Before you go, make sure you sign up for Gold Passport so you can get discounted breakfast if you choose to go that route.

If you don't mind, tell us the price different between those options and maybe one of us out here can tell you if it is worth the extra $$.

Breakfast at the club consists of your regular Cont-style pastry, fruits, cold cuts, vege-omelete, ham-omelete & Chinese hot soy milk with fried dough. Breakfast at the lobby is more like a Sunday brunch and I would have no problem paying US$20 elsewhere.

Evening cocktail and snack at Grand Club are great. Sushi, Chinese BBQ pork/roast duck, satay.... are the usual menu items. One catch, it ends at 8pm sharp. If you still hungry after that, try basement of Taipei 101 food court.
From this I gather that any GP member is eligible for a discounted breakfast rate at the Grand Hyatt in Taipei??? I am a regular member with GP only.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 9:13 pm
Original Member

I had asked if I was eligible for free breakfast and was told no at the front desk so I added breakfast to my room rate. They charged 500NT to my room rate, which was a little bit cheaper than the going rate in the Cafe. When I went to my room, I found the card that I could have put out for the free continental breakfast delivered to my room, but I agree the spread downstairs in the Cafe was quite large!
Old Sep 19, 2006, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
How does this property treat Diamonds?

Can I expect an upgrade to the Club Floor/Breakfast?

Seems the Diamond benefits are getting a little iffey at many properties.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, WN CP & A-List +, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,
We stayed there last September on an award stay, and was upgraded to a club level room. Great spreads at breakfast and in the evening. Club level staff was excellent.

In response to 100,000miler, as others mentioned, all GP members get free continental breakfast delivered to the room. There's a card to fill out and hang on the door in the room.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by richee
We stayed there last September on an award stay, and was upgraded to a club level room. Great spreads at breakfast and in the evening. Club level staff was excellent.

In response to 100,000miler, as others mentioned, all GP members get free continental breakfast delivered to the room. There's a card to fill out and hang on the door in the room.
Hyatt Taipei usually offer general GP members free delivered Continental breakfast to your room, but they often offer free upgrade on a space-available basis for Diamond members to the Grand Club floors (floor 19-24, while the Grand Club lounge is 22). The Grand Club floor has decent buffet breakfast (usually 3-4 hot chinese selection) + large continental breakfast selection + ham/salmon. But the best part of Grand Club is evening cocktails with free food + free alcohol (wine, champagne, beer). Recently Grand Club also offer free DSL and pressing of 2 articles of clothing.

For breakfast, if you want the huge buffet breakfast selection of Chinese + Japanese + American, however, then go to 1st floor Cafe for the full treatment, and if you are GP, show them your room registration check-in card with GP status, and they offer discount price of 440NT pp (instead of standard walk-on price of 660NT I think).

Note that Taipei 101 is rated world's tallest building, and many people go there to shop. Since Taipei 101 is next door to Hyatt, it is easy to meet with friends/business colleagues because almost everyone stop by Taipei 101. Parking at Taipei 101 is usually free for 1hr if you have special Taipei 101 Platinum Visa card, but that is usually not enough and additional per hour is about 60-100NT. Hyatt offers guest free all-day parking, so your friend(s) can take advantage of your guest status to validate the parking receipt at the concierge desk.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 1:11 pm

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I have no status with Hyatt. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

But I hear the Grand Hyatt is one of the nicer properties in Taipei, so I think I will give it a shot.

I am finding a couple of rates that look reasonable: one that includes bed and breakfast, one that includes bed and breakfast on club floor, one that includes club floor but no breakfast and then none of the above.

How is the restaurant? Is the breakfast worth it or will the club be good enough? Is the club enough to justify it WITH paying for the breakfast as well?
THE JAPANESE BUFFET IS ONE OF THE BEST I HAVE EVER HAD...EVER.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by SQPPS
THE JAPANESE BUFFET IS ONE OF THE BEST I HAVE EVER HAD...EVER.
Buffet, yes. I agree completely....they have fresh cut sashimi and freshly made to order tempura..... ^

But it IS afterall still a buffet.....
Old Sep 20, 2006, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I was very pleased with the service on the Club Level. When we arrived in TPE our luggage was delayed for 2 days. The Club Level concierge did an excellent job of following up on our baggage and was quite helpful in directing us to shops where we could buy necessities. All in all, I recall being happy with this property. The buffets were unbelievable; actually, overwhelming with so many choices. I would definitely stay at this property again.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 5:59 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
How does an ordinary GP access the lounge? Is it key controlled or do you have to check in? I ask as some lounges are really very easy to access and others are very restrictive!!!!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
How does an ordinary GP access the lounge? Is it key controlled or do you have to check in? I ask as some lounges are really very easy to access and others are very restrictive!!!!
The Grand Club/regency Club lounges in the Asia Hyatts are generally VERY restrictive and Diamond members can only be granted access if they have rooms on the Club level (either paid or upgraded). Upgrades are usually on a "space available" basis.

Entry to the lounge is usually key controlled and guests are given an access key at check-in. That said, guests are also usually asked for their room numbers at breakfast and at the evening happy hour.

If you are considering "crashing" the party, then I would recommend that you not do so in Asia. The lounges in the US are a different proposition - but also there is no free booze.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Last time I was at GH Taipei (about 12 months ago), access to the Grand Floors was NOT key-controlled. If you are daring and want to crash the party, I suggest you take the elevator to the floor ABOVE the GC and then walk down the stairs directly into the GC, thus avoiding the GC desk matrons. However even if you do this you'll have to make a grab and run as they will normally come ask your room number within 5 minutes of your sitting down. As the above poster said, crashing this GC is difficult, but it can be done by daring folks.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Grand Hyatt Taipai

Stayed at this beautiful hotel back in March. Located right across from the 101 and convenient to many things. The service was impeccable. The breakfast buffet surpasses none. Food that appealed to many cultures was available and plentiful. I still think about the pastry table and my mouth waters. Now the stay was good even though there was a fire - literally, one evening. There were no alarms sounding, just the smell. But they pulled in staff off duty as evidenced by jeans with their uniform blazers, evacuated the hotel and of course, no charge for the night. While it was a scarey, the staff worked hard to overcome.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 2:00 am

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
Does anyone know what sort of toiletries they have at GH Taipei and are their different toiletries in standard or club rooms?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.