Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by aceboy44
It's not worth it. Ambassador suite is half the price of presidential and almost just as nice (with the exception of en-suite pools, sauna, and massage room.)
Agree 100%. Ive been upgraded to the Amb suite a couple of times and have toured the pres. If I was paying for it it would definitely be Amb every time for the reasons you list. It really is a stunning room.

If the guy asking the question doesn't see the vid I took last year here it is

Old Dec 15, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Just had a quick 1 day stay at PH BKK, full service as always just room service cuts off at 11pm. No complaints whatsoever.

Elevator is accessible at the mall (Central Embassy) again.s
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I really tore into this hotel after my first stay when it first opened as it was just all round terrible. I've since been back a couple of times this year and am happy to report they are doing significantly better.

The hotel feels quite quiet during Covid times (compared to some of its competitors), which does mean the now attentive service is ultra on top of things. On a mid-week stay I was wondering whether I might in fact be the only guest as staff I'd never met not only knew my name but also what I was up to.
Pro's: The hotel has what is for my purpose the absolute best location of any hotel in Bangkok. Being on top of Central Embassy you can walk to the BTS, Siwilai City Club or the EatThai food court, all of which are high up on my list of most important/ interesting things in the city. It seems that Globalists are near guaranteed a Park Deluxe Suite upgrade which is at least a real suite with two rooms. I won't get a guaranteed upgrade at the SGS and I won't get a "real" Suite by my relatively undemanding criteria of having a living room at the WA or even the Siam, for example
Con's: While the hotel is clearly a big designer statement, I'm not a fan of the design. For example, the Park Deluxe Suite, while large, has a living room which feels a bit like a hallway (featuring the world's least comfortable sofa) followed by a bedroom at an annoying angle which somehow makes it hard to relax. I'd also put the F&B overall as a Con (though this is by Bangkok standards). The breakfast is fine with a buffet currently on weekends only and the Penthouse does have stunning interiors and a beautiful outdoor rooftop, but just don't compare with the Waldorf Astoria, for example

The best rate is currently 6,000THB which includes an interesting 3 course meal for two at the Penthouse offer which is quite nice, but as I have relatively few nights in Bangkok I generally have other places I would rather be. This is now clearly a very solid hotel which in any other city or in Bangkok at any other time at its price point would probably be unsurpassed. As it stands, I will occasionally return to the PH as I am most interested in my Hyatt points and loyalty and when I want to spend time at Central Embassy. For the time being I think the Waldorf Astoria has it on overall quality though, and on weekdays in particular it also is better value for money.
conde and Kacee like this.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Mar 11, 2021 at 9:08 am
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I really tore into this hotel after my first stay when it first opened as it was just all round terrible. I've since been back a couple of times this year and am happy to report they are doing significantly better.

The hotel feels quite quiet during Covid times (compared to some of its competitors), which does mean the now attentive service is ultra on top of things. On a mid-week stay I was wondering whether I might in fact be the only guest as staff I'd never met not only knew my name but also what I was up to.

The best rate is currently 6,000THB which includes an interesting 3 course meal for two at the Penthouse offer which is quite nice, but as I have relatively few nights in Bangkok I generally have other places I would rather be. This is now clearly a very solid hotel which in any other city or in Bangkok at any other time at its price point would probably be unsurpassed. As it stands, I will occasionally return to the PH as I am most interested in my Hyatt points and loyalty and when I want to spend time at Central Embassy. For the time being I think the Waldorf Astoria has it on overall quality though, and on weekdays in particular it also is better value for money.
Is the downstairs entrance to elevators still unairconditioned?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Aventine
Is the downstairs entrance to elevators still unairconditioned?
Honestly, I didn't notice which as I've gone directly from the air conditioned Central Embassy makes me think it's now probably got airco. It doesn't smell of sewage any more either.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:52 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Park Hyatt Bangkok = Diplomat Suite

Park Hyatt Bangkok

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

Park Hyatt Bangkok

88 (Central Embassy), Wireless Road Lumpini, Bangkok  TH

Park Hyatt Bangkok = Diplomat Suite (21 Photos)

Park Hyatt Bangkok

Except for the fact that I am not a big fan of the standard suites at Park Hyatt Bangkok, otherwise this hotel has been growing on me recently with significant improvements in service since it opened and fixing a few hardware problems that existed early on.  I am still trying to find the “sweet spot” of value for this hotel so instead of booking an entry level room and ending up in a standard suite as Globalist, this time I tried something different: I booked a Park Exec Suite which is the third category of suites, and let the dominoes fall regarding a possible upgrade.  I received a one-category upgrade to the Diplomat suite which is a nice room and I had another stay with great service, but the value remain somewhat questionable considering the more generous upgrades at other luxury hotels of a similar level.  

The Hyatt loyalty program is generally considered the most generous of all hotel chains for standard suites, but as far as I know the Globalist suite upgrade concept does not apply above that level so technically they did not have to upgrade me at all.  Given that I am a repeat guest and occupancy was low I wanted to know how they would handle the upgrade, if at all.  It would be ungrateful to complain about the one-category upgrade to the Diplomat Suite, but objectively speaking based on my experience, other hotel chains can be more liberal with upgrades when booking premium suites to begin with, among others Marriott, Hilton, and even GHA which gives a 2-category upgrade as a matter of policy even with booking high levels of rooms which can sometimes result in wonderfully valuable upgrades at the top end.  So I was trying to find a sweet spot with Park Hyatt, and my takeaway is that this was probably not it.

Room

The Diplomat Suites are listed at 115-122 sqm versus the Park Exec Suites 93-109 sqm, and compared to the standard suites I noticed marginally higher quality hardware for example the Denon surround system sound system and speakers / subwoofer from Bowers & Wilkins.  As can be expected the living room was more spacious than the standard suites and there was a small dining area with a sink and a full-size fridge and freezer, and the half bathroom near the entrance was convenient.  That half bathroom is something missing from the standard suites, unlike other hotels of this level for example at St.Regis.  I would also note that the toilet in the main bathroom was a Toto washlet, but not in the half bathroom, which is different from Waldorf Astoria where the Astoria Suite has two Toto washlets.  

IMG_5730.jpegIMG_5731.jpegIMG_5732.jpegIMG_5733.jpeg1_IMG_5734.jpegIMG_5735.jpegIMG_5736.jpeg1_IMG_5737.jpeg1_IMG_5738.jpeg1_IMG_5739.jpeg1_IMG_5740.jpeg1_IMG_5741.jpeg1_IMG_5742.jpegIMG_5743.jpegIMG_5746.jpegIMG_5747.jpegIMG_5759.jpeg

The rest of the Diplomat Suite was fairly similar to standard suites, the main bathroom has always been a strong point of Park Hyatt, and I like the soft colors and design in the room generally speaking.  The weakness is that some of the hardware is lower quality than other comparable options for example St.Regis and Waldorf Astoria as mentioned above, and also the newly opened Sindhorn Kempinski.  Another issue is that because of the shape of the building, the hallway on the other side of our room was not very far so we felt visually exposed, making it necessary to pull the blinds down in the main bathroom.  For the rest of the suite the sheers were sufficient for privacy during day light hours. 

1_IMG_5757.jpeg 

In terms of size while 115-122 sqm is nothing to sneeze at, the Astoria Suite at WA is 140 sqm and the Grand Exec Suite at Sindhorn Kempinski is 145 sqm, both of which I have been upgraded to in the past from much lower categories of rooms so much more generous upgrade than what I received at Park Hyatt, hence the difficulty of Park Hyatt being competitive at this price point.  Coincidentally, for exactly the same price I stayed at the ultra-luxury Capella hotel earlier this month and upgraded to the Verandah room with an outdoor plunge pool with river views.  At Park Hyatt I took advantage of the current promotion of third night free and stayed there exactly three nights to minimize the average daily room rate, but it was still not enough to provide great value relative to others.  

Service

At every stay at Park Hyatt I notice that service is increasingly better each time.  For this stay they proactively called me at 10am to inform me that our room was ready and that we could come over.  Once we stepped out of the taxi the bellman asked in what name the reservation was and he obviously communicated with staff upstairs on the lobby floor who welcomed us back and greeted us by name as soon as we got off the elevator.  The check-in was very quick without needless formalities since they already had our ID and credit card on file so we were accompanied to our room immediately.  During the stay they checked with me by e-mail to make sure everything was going well and quickly responded to all miscellaneous requests I had including printing documents and bringing to our room.  In addition I always appreciate that this hotel can take care of various errands, they did in the past and once again for this stay I had a package to send by DHL and they took care of it themselves rather than me having to spin my wheels to go to the DHL office.  Allowing in-room dining for the breakfast was a great improvement from before (I am not sure if it’s temporary due to covid only) and not a service provided by all luxury hotels at this point in time.  One morning when they brought the fruit plate I commented that I was glad to have passion fruits, and they brought me several extra a few minutes later which was a nice touch.

Dining

There were previous reports on FT about breakfast cutbacks since covid, but my experience was completely the opposite.  Not only we could have breakfast in the room as mentioned above, but we could order anything we wanted from the extensive a la carte menu as the breakfast benefit.  The menu included several upscale dishes such as blue crab eggs benedicts, an excellent quinoa salad with pomegranate, etc.  If we had to pay for each item one by one our order would have probably been over 3000 THB every morning, and everything was comped as the Globalist breakfast.  In the past breakfast has never been a weakness at Park Hyatt but it’s now gone up to top 5 in the city in my opinion, better than many other luxury hotels.

1_IMG_5758.jpeg

We also ordered room service a few times as we had 100 USD credit because of the booking with Hyatt Prive, but the hotel converted the credit to 2500 THB while almost all competitors use 3000 THB instead.  Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but the 20% haircut on the current exchange rate of 31.0 seems a bit excessive.  

1_IMG_5749.jpeg

Gym

Both times I went to the gym I was all alone, unlike some other hotels which tend to be more crowded nowadays.  The gym overlooks the pool one floor below and a small park in the distance.  

IMG_5756.jpeg

Wifi

They have upgraded their wifi since last time we stayed at Park Hyatt because I clocked speeds of 85-135 Mbps which was much better than before when it was 20-30 Mbps.

Overall

Overall we had a great stay with very little to complain about: excellent service, spacious suite upgrade, one of the better breakfasts, plus the fact that we could enjoy it from the comfort of our room rather than go to the restaurant.  At the moment in Bangkok many hotels are quite full on weekends and breakfast tends to be more chaotic at cheaper 5-star hotels such as Peninsula, Kimpton, or JW Marriott which is why I wanted to move up in the price range for this weekend stay and avoid crowds.  I guess someone could argue that I cannot have the cake and eat it too: I cannot benefit from a very good price and enjoy a quiet hotel during weekends at the same time.  I must acknowledge the fact that PH is perhaps discounting rooms less aggressively in the current covid conditions compared to some other hotels and it had positives: a quieter experience all around.  I will continue to return to PH in the future due to the ideal location and the other strong points mentioned in my review, but for a similar price tag there are a handful of other luxury hotels which offer a better product based on what I value most, either for standard suites or for premium suites.

Park Hyatt Bangkok = Diplomat Suite

Would you like to write a review on the Park Hyatt Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks for the report. Breakfast certainly looks impressive!
Originally Posted by escape4
II received a one-category upgrade to the Diplomat suite which is a nice room and I had another stay with great service, but the value remain somewhat questionable considering the more generous upgrades at other luxury hotels of a similar level.
Does seem to lag behind W/A, StR, and even SGS on this score. The suite itself also looks not quite so nice as comparable suites at W/A (Waldorf) or StR (Caroline Astor).
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Does seem to lag behind W/A, StR, and even SGS on this score. The suite itself also looks not quite so nice as comparable suites at W/A (Waldorf) or StR (Caroline Astor).
I have unfortunately not stayed in the premium suites at SGS, but I would rate the Diplomat Suite at PH above the Deluxe Suite at WA and below the Astoria Suite. The issue is that I have sometimes been upgraded all the way up to Astoria Suite when booking the entry level room (and all my upgrades were at least to Deluxe Suite) whereas I had to book a premium suite at PH to get Diplomat.

I find comparing PH with StR less straightforward than WA because StR is more aging than the other two. From memory I stayed in the Met Suite (suite room type #1), Grand Met Suite (suite type #2), and St.Regis Suite (#4) at StR, never in the CA Suite (#3). The view is infinitely nicer in the StR Suite than in the Diplomat Suite, on the other hand for the hardware some tech features are superior at PH for example the sound system, and also I prefer the bathroom at PH. We could debate all day about which suite is better - I think it's a moot point because I could book the StR Suite for a bit more than half the price of what I paid to end up in Diplomat (and Caroline Astor is lower than half price!) = even without any kind of upgrade at StR I would still get better value there, due to the big price difference. And odds are quite good that StR would upgrade me to an even higher category of room, perhaps Astor Suite (#5) or Legacy Suite (#6), in fact it would be quite shocking if they did not upgrade in times of low occupancy like now.

Hence my key takeaway that while Diplomat is a decent suite, the value is a hard sell for me, at least based on temporary covid price levels and the 1-category upgrade at PH which is above Hyatt program rules but inferior to what competitors provide. If I had received a 2-category upgrade to Ambassador Suite I would probably feel differently about the value proposition.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 8:13 pm

I am not sure if it's been reported by others earlier in the thread, but I forgot to mention in my review above that the Globalist wine hour has been eliminated so the edge that PH had over WA and StR in that regard is gone.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 7:54 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I popped into The Penthouse last night to have a drink and snack. I wanted to sit outside but they said The Bar was closed and also the outdoor area of The Penthouse was closed but they did have a tiny two table terrace area that was outdoors I could sit at if I wanted. I chose that as opposed to a booth inside and was happy with my choice. It was interesting to me that they said the only menu on offer was the small plates menu, I originally just assumed they gave me that menu since I originally was looking for a bar to have a drink and snack. The area I ended up sitting at was really made for smokers I think and there was one person that came out and smoked but most were people coming out to take pictures. It totally worked for me and really was not that expensive. I liked that they had an Italian wine on their wines by the glass, amazing that BKK has so few Italian wines on offer at all the bars I go to (I like Italian wines). The service was absolutely fantastic at first but then dropped off later as it got so busy. In talking to some folks they said it has really been picking up and they expect to be opening up completely in December. For what I got, I was very pleased and will definitely return. Walking into this property makes you feel like you are someplace special in my opinion and while I was just there for drinks and a snack, everyone was extremely friendly, helpful and polite.

Old Jan 29, 2022, 12:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Gonna stay here for three nights in April and I am unsure if I should get a Park Suite or a Park Deluxe Suite. Are there any benefits with the Deluxe Suite? I see that some bathrooms comes with natural light as they have windows and I would love to have that!
Old Jan 29, 2022, 2:55 pm

I’ve only ever been in the Park Deluxe Suite which has been the near guaranteed Globalist upgrade over the pandemic. As far as I can tell the only difference is the room format and size. The Deluxe views can be quite nice, but the way the living room feels a bit like a corridor (it’s a bit thin) makes me want to try the normal Park Suite one day.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I have been to Park Hyatt Bangkok around 2 years ago. It's my top Bangkok hotel. There are indeed many new luxury hotels in Bangkok, but one thing I like PH is its location. Directly connected to a large shopping mall and subway station really makes it much more convenient in Bangkok, especially considering the hotel weather there (We went there in Christmas time, but it still felt hot after you walked on the street for a while). I do have a detailed hotel review video on Youtube. Feel free to check it out.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I booked here for 20k points per night but the GH is only 8k per night. Cash rates are generally low at the moment but I’ve got points to burn. I’m Globalist and have already been blocked into a suite at PH. I also value a nice breakfast and a jacuzzi area for relaxing. Would you spend the points at PH or go to GH and save the points for another time?
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I booked here for 20k points per night but the GH is only 8k per night. Cash rates are generally low at the moment but I’ve got points to burn. I’m Globalist and have already been blocked into a suite at PH. I also value a nice breakfast and a jacuzzi area for relaxing. Would you spend the points at PH or go to GH and save the points for another time?
I’d do the HR over the GH, but otherwise you just need to make your choice. The PH is undeniably the better hotel, but how much do you want to spend?
mcgahat and yorkboy24 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.