Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 10:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

A few blocks from the St Regis and the GH Erawan... On the corner of Wireless and Phloenchit, formerly a part of the British embassy.
Old May 17, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTW1
Didn't you look up and see that the building is hardly as tall as it will be?
It's going to be 2015 and surely not the first half of the year I would imagine....
I did look up- didn't know how tall the plan is for the building. Second half of next year is not too too far away. Always nice to have more options.
Old May 17, 2014, 11:20 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

So far they have just stated 2015..... but since it's Thailand and it's a hotel opening, who really knows. End of 2015 (or even 2016) wouldn't surprise me as well since they still need to do a lot of work on the exterior before they can even start on the interior.

But I look forward to having another great option as well, even though I'm a fan of the GH Erawan. I'm not so sure any additional money will be worth it, but there hasn't been much in details for the PH yet.

This shows a bit of the height, it's supposed to be 36 floors: http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...ting_Its_Twist

Last edited by RTW1; May 17, 2014 at 11:27 am
Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:17 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

A bit of an update on the building (not necessarily the hotel) - the lower floor shopping area is now open - my cousin had dinner there last night (no link it was a Facebook post).
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peteropny
A bit of an update on the building (not necessarily the hotel) - the lower floor shopping area is now open - my cousin had dinner there last night (no link it was a Facebook post).
Yes- if you see post #13 in this thread I had dinner there in May and it was excellent. Very impressive shopping centre if a touch pricey.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:36 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Anyone care to guess what prices they plan on charging? I remember when St Regis first opened, they were aiming for THB 10k a night. That never materialized. I think the only hotel in BKK that can get away with charging THB 10k per night is the Mandarin Oriental.

Simply put, BKK doesn't get the type of travelers you'd get in Tokyo, Hong Kong, or Singapore.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Who knows in this market... Or the state of the business when they finally open. The GH is still at THB 7k even if hardly anybody is staying. So probably at least that for a standard room. With tax that 10k might not be that far off.

It wouldn't surprise me if they delayed opening a bit....
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemini573
Anyone care to guess what prices they plan on charging? I remember when St Regis first opened, they were aiming for THB 10k a night. That never materialized. I think the only hotel in BKK that can get away with charging THB 10k per night is the Mandarin Oriental.

Simply put, BKK doesn't get the type of travelers you'd get in Tokyo, Hong Kong, or Singapore.
Bangkok does indeed get the travelers, the issue is there is a lot of very good competition in Bangkok.

I suspect they will price a bit above the existing (and excellent) Grand Hyatt Erawan which was just renovated.

Prices in Bangkok until recently have been climbing quite a bit due to the massive increase in visitors particularly from PRC.

At the moment due to the overall situation prices have been discounted deeply with many properties reporting ~ 50% occupancy. As it seems opening time for this property is a while a way apparently- we shall have to see later this year what the overall situation is and thus what kind of rates can be charged.

The Oriental by the way is indeed an excellent (world class) property however the location is not convenient for many particularly visiting on business.

A very good room can be had at the Four Seasons or St. Regis consistently for less than 8000 THB so this will be the range perhaps PH Bangkok can price in.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:02 am

I really hope this PH opens this year! I am planing a trip to Bangkok in Jan 2015, any idea of the timeline for the opening? Should I have any hopes of staying here during the first days of January?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Forget January.... The announced date is 2015, that never means January.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:55 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by RTW1
Forget January.... The announced date is 2015, that never means January.
Wow, you'd think they would have it ready in time for the peak season? If they plan on missing out Christmas and CNY, the tourists projections must be very bad.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

They've been working on it for years... you always miss a few peak seasons.
And opening a hotel is a bit complicated as well, not to mention that the building site wasn't even accessible during the protests for a while. Construction is still going on.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Wow, you'd think they would have it ready in time for the peak season?
They will, in 2016 or 2017.

This is Thailand, where Hotels tend to open anything between two and five years late, notwithstanding what the political situation will be going forward. The military are in charge at the moment so they will be going around looking for 'their bit' of anything approved by the other lot.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 5:14 pm
formerly gemini573

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
They will, in 2016 or 2017.

This is Thailand, where Hotels tend to open anything between two and five years late, notwithstanding what the political situation will be going forward. The military are in charge at the moment so they will be going around looking for 'their bit' of anything approved by the other lot.
LOL!!!! That's very true. Well, It's Central that owns the property. I'm sure they have tons of money to throw around. Kudos to them for having three Centrals within a kilometre; CTW, Central Department Store, and Central Embassy. Oh...and maybe another one in the next few years where they old night market was located.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL!!!! That's very true. Well, It's Central that owns the property. I'm sure they have tons of money to throw around. Kudos to them for having three Centrals within a kilometre; CTW, Central Department Store, and Central Embassy. Oh...and maybe another one in the next few years where they old night market was located.
Indeed the Central Group has become one of the leading luxury retailers worldwide.

After their 2011 purchase of La Rinascente (leading Italian luxury retailer) and their 2013 purchase of Danish department store group Illum as well as several other European plans it is safe to say we will most like see a lot more Central in Bangkok in the next decade.

A brief update from the Wall Street Journal sheds a bit of light on the Central Group plans for growth:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...08832991456884

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.