Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 3:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Travel Agent (Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Ritz, etc.)
Originally Posted by dwatcher
Also, new upgraded reservation doesn't reflect a Kid in itinerary, but reflects correct room. Should I tell them to add the kid, just incase if kid is eligible for something nice at check in?
It´s quite typical for an email confirmation not to show children, even if you told them and even if there is space on the confirmation for showing # of kids)...

I´m sure they know about the kid, but if you want to be safer than sorry, just shoot them a quick email reminder

(ps, don´t think they´ll get something nice at checkin, unfortunately, but you never know! Four Seasons is famous for kids welcome amenities, but I don´t think PH does this...)
Old May 5, 2017, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RTW1
It a Park Deluxe King you are now getting... about a €100 a night difference in price, so you simply paid for the upgrade.
I would describe it as paying to *guarantee* the upgrade. You don't want to wait until check in to find out whether the hotel has a room for you that's big enough for your kid to stay too.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would describe it as paying to *guarantee* the upgrade. You don't want to wait until check in to find out whether the hotel has a room for you that's big enough for your kid to stay too.
I have done that before and it is a peace of mind especially there
Old May 20, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat (lifetime)
Originally Posted by dwatcher
yeah and its our first time and really want to check out the hype. DO you think I can get any upgrades/comps at this property, being a explorist member?

Its going to be couple days when french open is being played, so occupancy will be tight and that's why I am not hoping for any room upgrades. Maybe I could ask for breakfast, but not sure how "asking" will look?
It never hurts to ask but don't get your hopes up. The cost when I was there was 50 euros/per person.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by mmargel
It never hurts to ask but don't get your hopes up. The cost when I was there was 50 euros/per person.
If it is during the Open your chances are slim to none. you MIGHT if you pay an upgrade fee. Suggest you call Hyatt desk
Old May 22, 2017, 10:50 pm

Here is a link to some photos of the renovated rooms:

http://www.cpp-luxury.com/park-hyatt...ms-and-suites/

I have to say, other than the darker floor in the shower, I am hard pressed to spot any material changes!
Old May 23, 2017, 5:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Top of climb
Here is a link to some photos of the renovated rooms:

http://www.cpp-luxury.com/park-hyatt...ms-and-suites/

I have to say, other than the darker floor in the shower, I am hard pressed to spot any material changes!
So somewhat newer carpeting too. Probably less scruffs around the room/furniture in the renovated rooms than before.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:58 am

will renovations be complete this summer?

I saw the new look and it really does look essentially the same. Is anything different in the common areas? I'm wondering if it will feel under construction if we go in July.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
I was told in January that these were the scheduled construction periods:

from December 12th 2016 to May 14th 2017
from July 15th to September 1st 2017
from November 6th 2017 to February 2nd 2018
Old May 24, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by spellbound2
I saw the new look and it really does look essentially the same. Is anything different in the common areas? I'm wondering if it will feel under construction if we go in July.
It appears that ownership has essentially decided to keep the "old or original look" which frankly is fine with me as some remodels I have seen of late are a bit much, to say the least.

For me I am more concerned about the "front of the house" it's just not the same ( my opinion only). It's interesting that the PHM seems to be maintaining their lust with guest PHV seems to be sliding. Food for thought. For us my wife has suggested after 10 years we might try another hotel, which we will be doing this year.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:04 am

I am at the hotel, but I could not tell if the common area has been actually renovated. The layout and overall color looks the same as before - to me.
Maybe it was very subtle work...? What I have been told was the lower floors (guest rooms) were done...
Old May 31, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMan
I am at the hotel, but I could not tell if the common area has been actually renovated. The layout and overall color looks the same as before - to me.
Maybe it was very subtle work...? What I have been told was the lower floors (guest rooms) were done...
The entrance and lobby was carefully re-fashioned and now features the same black mirror finish floor as some of the bathrooms, quite chic. They opened up the area by extending the steps and removing the wheel chair set-up (also used for the luggage carts). Organized differently now. Roseline Granet's statue "Grand Couple en Marche" was put back after a while (thank god), it is now in the middle of the area. Sadly, much of the hotel's carefully curated artwork has been replaced -- it used to be very special with many pieces chosen by Darthea Speyer herself. Now more of a shadow of its former glory. I wonder if they sold the Ed Paschke paintings I used to adore, especially in the bar.

I question some of the choices and this is rare as I usually adore Ed Tuttle's work. I wish he would have integrated the controls for the black out curtains/blinds into the wall panel. Would have been much more elegant. He is usually good at these things, don't know what the problem was.

Black shower floor looks odd.

I have seen suites and rooms that integrated the TV into a mirrored wall. Love this. Also the little sofas that we have come to like now make an appearance in many of the rooms, also positive.

Not sure about the other updates... we shall see!
Old May 31, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by scented
The entrance and lobby was carefully re-fashioned and now features the same black mirror finish floor as some of the bathrooms, quite chic. They opened up the area by extending the steps and removing the wheel chair set-up (also used for the luggage carts). Organized differently now. Roseline Granet's statue "Grand Couple en Marche" was put back after a while (thank god), it is now in the middle of the area. Sadly, much of the hotel's carefully curated artwork has been replaced -- it used to be very special with many pieces chosen by Darthea Speyer herself. Now more of a shadow of its former glory. I wonder if they sold the Ed Paschke paintings I used to adore, especially in the bar.

I question some of the choices and this is rare as I usually adore Ed Tuttle's work. I wish he would have integrated the controls for the black out curtains/blinds into the wall panel. Would have been much more elegant. He is usually good at these things, don't know what the problem was.

Black shower floor looks odd.

I have seen suites and rooms that integrated the TV into a mirrored wall. Love this. Also the little sofas that we have come to like now make an appearance in many of the rooms, also positive.

Not sure about the other updates... we shall see!
Thanks for the updates.
Yes, I noticed the rather tall statue right in front of the concierge desk. Since my Exec Suite is on the higher floor, I don't get to see what the renovated room looks like...

In spite of Roland Garros timing, I was surprised to see rooms were still available (including award redemption)...
Old May 31, 2017, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMan
Thanks for the updates.
Yes, I noticed the rather tall statue right in front of the concierge desk. Since my Exec Suite is on the higher floor, I don't get to see what the renovated room looks like...

In spite of Roland Garros timing, I was surprised to see rooms were still available (including award redemption)...
Hope you get to stay in a renovated suite next time around.

Paris is suffering and so is the hotel. Won't be much better in the future with the Crillon/Rosewood re-opening and the great success of the FS renovations. Too many celebrities lured over to George V by Jeff Leatham et al.

Hope market is picking up again.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by scented
Hope you get to stay in a renovated suite next time around.

Paris is suffering and so is the hotel. Won't be much better in the future with the Crillon/Rosewood re-opening and the great success of the FS renovations. Too many celebrities lured over to George V by Jeff Leatham et al.

Hope market is picking up again.
we are trying another property when we go back this year. Might stay up on the Champs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.