Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by miadukes
That is my plan so far!! I also plan on spending the money one morning for the breakfast just to see what all the fuss is about!! Ive already decided that I cannot leave the vendome without eating the 50 euro breakfast HAHAHA.
We're big fans of the PHV, including the b'fast -- it's part of what keeps us Diamonds.

Different people have different amounts of money, and different tastes, and different tastes for spending money (regardless of what they have), so far be it from me to say what is "worth it" and what isn't. Instead, a tip on rationalizing the breakfast while you're there: Go on the late side. Make it brunch, not breakfast. Do stuff in Paris and skip "lunch." Do something fun and cheap for dinner, like crepes in Rue Montparnasse. Your total food bill for the day will be less than if you had croissants for b'fast, then over-priced lunches and dinners as well.

In all events, enjoy.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
We're big fans of the PHV, including the b'fast -- it's part of what keeps us Diamonds.

Different people have different amounts of money, and different tastes, and different tastes for spending money (regardless of what they have), so far be it from me to say what is "worth it" and what isn't. Instead, a tip on rationalizing the breakfast while you're there: Go on the late side. Make it brunch, not breakfast. Do stuff in Paris and skip "lunch." Do something fun and cheap for dinner, like crepes in Rue Montparnasse. Your total food bill for the day will be less than if you had croissants for b'fast, then over-priced lunches and dinners as well.

In all events, enjoy.
That's a good strategy except that I am an early bird and like to have my big breakfast! But I see what you are saying.Do you recommend anything in particular on Rue Montparnasse?

I've already decided to allow the breakfast into my budget, for at least one morning anyway so I am all set there but you are right, normally there is no way in heck I would be spending that much on breakfast but since the entire week hotels will practically be free I am allowing myself to splurge a little.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:36 pm

That's a good strategy except that I am an early bird and like to have my big breakfast! But I see what you are saying.Do you recommend anything in particular on Rue Montparnasse?

I've already decided to allow the breakfast into my budget, for at least one morning anyway so I am all set there but you are right, normally there is no way in heck I would be spending that much on breakfast but since the entire week hotels will practically be free I am allowing myself to splurge a little.
Everyone has different ideas of what to do in Paris, so take people's advice with a grain of salt. Quite frankly, I wouldn't waste any time around Montparnasse unless you were going up to the top of the Montparnasse Tower for a great view of Paris, or going to the cemetery or catacombs.

There are some creperies around the train station, only because Gare Montparnasse serves the TGV Bretagne trains. If you want cheap crepe meal, there's a cute place called "Sur la Route de Plouescat" in Montmarte, which is a much nicer area than Montparnasse.

At the end of the day, PHPV is an amazing hotel, but Paris is an even more amazing city. Enjoy breakfast and perhaps a glass of champagne, but make sure you spend the vast majority of your time actually seeing Paris. Try not to think too much about $$ if possible - it'll spoil the city. Enjoy

As a side note, I got 50% off breakfast as a Platinum member there, plus 50% off drinks in the bar, so perhaps they'll offer you that as well too.

Last edited by kthpence; Jun 15, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive

Understood. I didn't know if you were arriving at Paris (and the PHV) direct from the U.S. If so, it's often hard to get up too early that next morning!

As for creperies (in Paris in general, and on the rue du Montparnasse) ... there are many, and everyone has their favorite. On rue du Montparnasse (note rue -- I am not talking about the larger blvd Montparnasse, which bisects the rue) La Crêperie de Josselin (and its cousin, Le Petit Josselin) is (are) the most popular, but it hardly matters: there must be a dozen on that block. I'm sort of partial to La Bolée d'Armorique -- opposite side of the street. Nice people (owners), nice ambience.

But to expand a little -- and I think I already wrote about this somewhere up thread -- I was not recommending Montparnasse (much less a creperie) as a life-changing (or life-affirming) destination, but rather as part of the process of enjoying Paris. Use Google Maps to find the walking route from the PHV to rue du Montparnasse. If you pick the path via rue du Bac, you will get a wonderful tour bisecting (that word again!) many cool parts of Paris, from the Tuileries, the Seine, rue Jacob, blvd St-Germain, etc. Stroll, stop at a cafe or boulangerie (bakery). Enjoy Paris, enjoy life. IMHO, a walk like that beats any number of traditional tourist activities.

Only an opinion. As the French say, à chacun son goût (to each his own).
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence
Everyone has different ideas of what to do in Paris, so take people's advice with a grain of salt. Quite frankly, I wouldn't waste any time around Montparnasse unless you were going up to the top of the Montparnasse Tower for a great view of Paris, or going to the cemetery or catacombs.

There are some creperies around the train station, only because Gare Montparnasse serves the TGV Bretagne trains. If you want cheap crepe meal, there's a cute place called "Sur la Route de Plouescat" in Montmarte, which is a much nicer area than Montparnasse.

At the end of the day, PHPV is an amazing hotel, but Paris is an even more amazing city. Enjoy breakfast and perhaps a glass of champagne, but make sure you spend the vast majority of your time actually seeing Paris. Try not to think too much about $$ if possible - it'll spoil the city. Enjoy

As a side note, I got 50% off breakfast as a Platinum member there, plus 50% off drinks in the bar, so perhaps they'll offer you that as well too.
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Understood. I didn't know if you were arriving at Paris (and the PHV) direct from the U.S. If so, it's often hard to get up too early that next morning!

As for creperies (in Paris in general, and on the rue du Montparnasse) ... there are many, and everyone has their favorite. On rue du Montparnasse (note rue -- I am not talking about the larger blvd Montparnasse, which bisects the rue) La Crêperie de Josselin (and its cousin, Le Petit Josselin) is (are) the most popular, but it hardly matters: there must be a dozen on that block. I'm sort of partial to La Bolée d'Armorique -- opposite side of the street. Nice people (owners), nice ambience.

But to expand a little -- and I think I already wrote about this somewhere up thread -- I was not recommending Montparnasse (much less a creperie) as a life-changing (or life-affirming) destination, but rather as part of the process of enjoying Paris. Use Google Maps to find the walking route from the PHV to rue du Montparnasse. If you pick the path via rue du Bac, you will get a wonderful tour bisecting (that word again!) many cool parts of Paris, from the Tuileries, the Seine, rue Jacob, blvd St-Germain, etc. Stroll, stop at a cafe or boulangerie (bakery). Enjoy Paris, enjoy life. IMHO, a walk like that beats any number of traditional tourist activities.

Only an opinion. As the French say, à chacun son goût (to each his own).
Thanks for the ideas. I haven't actually mapped out or planned out my stay there yet, taking that easy. I tend to over pack needing to see everything and I started thinking about this and thought to myself that I should do it different this trip. I was looking at all the activities and "tourist" things to hit and was like WHY do I HAVE to do them? Like for example I will probably go to the Louvre because well how can you go to Paris and not go but if im honest I would go in there and spend 10 minutes and be done.

So I am really going ot have to sit down and plan some must see and then just play it a little by ear once I am there. I want to roam around without having a really set schedule.

You mentioned the catacombs and that would be something I would probably do and also the little stroll you mentioned walking from PHV sounds interesting. I understood why you said it so totally get your last post. Basically I have narrowed it down to I want to go to Eiffel Tower, Sacre Du Couer and Arc d'Triumph and then from there its open. I have 4.5 days so I am sure I will do tons.

I am hoping they offer me the 50% that would be great. Had no idea they did it on the bar as well. I also want to find some place outside hotels to eat breakfast as I imagine there has to be better eating spots than even the PHV!
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:55 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Be sure to request Javier as your waiter at breakfast (if he still is there - he was last summer). He is delightful and last trip, he packed a little box of pastries for us to take on the plane as a going away gift. We've been doing mattress runs this spring in order to get Diamond status and the free breakfast (for 8 nights this fall).

You should also splurge one evening and have appetizers and/or dessert and Champagne in the bar. (That's why we need the free nights - to be able to pay for all the extras.)
Javier was there as recently as our trip in March. He is indeed an excellent excellent waiter. Very engaging, great service...

Originally Posted by hkstars
I'm planning to book 2 free nights in the standard room at this hotel for my upcoming trip to Paris. I had emailed the hotel to ask about the extra charge for upgrading to a room allowing 3 people or to add a rollaway bed for my 15 year old daughter. It's been over a week, and the hotel didn't even bother replying. With that kind of attitude, I'm reluctant to stay there. Do those of you that have stayed here before feel like you were being treated differently when staying on points? Does anyone have any experience with getting a room for 3 people on points at this hotel?
Who exactly did you email? I find the the generic hyatt emails of hotels (i.e [email protected]) are hit or miss whether they generate actual replies... I find it much more useful to obtain specific emails...

The standard rooms do not allow for rollaways..
The Park Deluxe and higher rooms do allow for rollaways... my last trip I asked for upgrade options and they offered upgrades for basically the price difference between rooms (in advance).. there have been reports of lower options at check in but I would not risk it. The other option would be to book a suite using points...

FDW
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
+1 on not bothering with the generic email address. I used that for a simple request on on first trip. The reply was slow in coming and when it did it was from Europe central reservations rather than someone actually at the hotel. Not surprisingly, the simple request was never forwarded to the hotel.

For our second stay we contacted someone at the hotel directly and everything went fine.

Our first stay of 10 nights was all points, and our second stay of 6 nights was P&C+DSU. I certainly did not feel that anyone treated us any different for staying on points.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:05 am

Thanks for the ideas. I haven't actually mapped out or planned out my stay there yet, taking that easy. I tend to over pack needing to see everything and I started thinking about this and thought to myself that I should do it different this trip. I was looking at all the activities and "tourist" things to hit and was like WHY do I HAVE to do them? Like for example I will probably go to the Louvre because well how can you go to Paris and not go but if im honest I would go in there and spend 10 minutes and be done.

So I am really going ot have to sit down and plan some must see and then just play it a little by ear once I am there. I want to roam around without having a really set schedule.

You mentioned the catacombs and that would be something I would probably do and also the little stroll you mentioned walking from PHV sounds interesting. I understood why you said it so totally get your last post. Basically I have narrowed it down to I want to go to Eiffel Tower, Sacre Du Couer and Arc d'Triumph and then from there its open. I have 4.5 days so I am sure I will do tons.

I am hoping they offer me the 50% that would be great. Had no idea they did it on the bar as well. I also want to find some place outside hotels to eat breakfast as I imagine there has to be better eating spots than even the PHV!
I lived in Paris for 2 months while I was in University & I never stepped foot in the Louvre. If you do go though, I suggest you get there early / as soon as it opens, especially during the summer. It'll make for a much more enjoyable trip. The line you see to get inside is for the security, the actual ticket office goes much faster.

Yes, enjoy PH...I had a wonderful stay there last April, and will be going back in July to celebrate my birthday. It's a great property
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I lived in Paris for 2 months while I was in University & I never stepped foot in the Louvre. If you do go though, I suggest you get there early / as soon as it opens, especially during the summer. It'll make for a much more enjoyable trip. The line you see to get inside is for the security, the actual ticket office goes much faster.

Yes, enjoy PH...I had a wonderful stay there last April, and will be going back in July to celebrate my birthday. It's a great property
Might I add to going early stop by the concierge desk and buy the passes that will allow you not to stand in line !

Also be aware of your surroundings especially on the subways for pick pockets and gypsies. It's gotten worse.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:36 am

Thanks, I am going in November so I doubt lines will be very long. and Thanks yes I try to travel with not much to notice but this trip I want to take my camera out and about so will have to be careful with it. Last year in Barcelona the guard at the subway mentioned the same thing you just did.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Thanks, I am going in November so I doubt lines will be very long. and Thanks yes I try to travel with not much to notice but this trip I want to take my camera out and about so will have to be careful with it. Last year in Barcelona the guard at the subway mentioned the same thing you just did.
with all the "refugees" especially undocumented it's getting really bad. Italy is horrible Milan is not pleasant to go out in the evening.

Money belt I copy copy passport info and picture page have it sealed in clear plastic carry that it works. But money belt is needed. We are over in November as well, hitting Venice then PHV for a few days
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
with all the "refugees" especially undocumented it's getting really bad. Italy is horrible Milan is not pleasant to go out in the evening.

Money belt I copy copy passport info and picture page have it sealed in clear plastic carry that it works. But money belt is needed. We are over in November as well, hitting Venice then PHV for a few days
Ok - subtlety or not so subtlety stating that "refugees" are contributing to a pickpocket trend in Paris is ludicrous. I live in France, I know many actual refugees (you know, the ones who had to flee their homes bc Daesh was trying to chop of their heads) and none of them are pickpocketers or contributing to pickpocketing. That was ridiculous to say on so many different levels. Have fun with your money belt...
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
+1 on not bothering with the generic email address. I used that for a simple request on on first trip. The reply was slow in coming and when it did it was from Europe central reservations rather than someone actually at the hotel. Not surprisingly, the simple request was never forwarded to the hotel.

For our second stay we contacted someone at the hotel directly and everything went fine.

Our first stay of 10 nights was all points, and our second stay of 6 nights was P&C+DSU. I certainly did not feel that anyone treated us any different for staying on points.
I did use the generic email address. It makes me feel better now knowing that people have successfully stayed on points and paying for upgrades. Thanks for all the replies.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:28 am

Can you buy the museum pass from the concierge for regular prices?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

...As a side note, I got 50% off breakfast as a Platinum member there, plus 50% off drinks in the bar, so perhaps they'll offer you that as well too.
Whoa, tell me more about this 50% off drinks. Is this some benefit that Platinums get but not higher-up folks? How do you get it? I've never been offered this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.