Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kat007
I stayed only once there, and really wanted to like Park Hyatt Vendome, but except from location and view (but there is no guarantee I would get the view I got) it was quite average property, and I still can`t get how people are so crazy about their toiletries Just because it is exclusive and made by some Joey Shmoye, it doesn`t mean it works great. But I guess a power of a crowd is working here

Not sure I would say that there is a "herd" mentality going on here with regard to this property. Like many of us I have traveled widely and stayed at many fine hotels, currently I am in the Ritz Pentagon City and find the PHV an exceptional property along with a superbly trained staff. Yes it has a great location but our stays after the first two was not the location more the hotel it's self as we make this our "rest stop" from a longer trip before returning to the US.

^
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
but sadly, I won't be returning tot his property anymore...
So they screwed up one trip despite many excellent ones before and you're writing the off? And are you so sure you'll get a better experience at any other comparable hotel in Paris?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
Paris - Park Vendome - REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forwards

Last year they screwed up my stay too (placed in a connecting room and had a screaming baby keep me up all night and they have a ridiculous policy of not even contacting screaming baby's parents to ask to keep it down, take a walk, etc). But with the raise of 30k points and the breakfast only being okay, I'd rather stay at the IC Le Grand
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:30 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I stayed here recently. Although the property was very "elegant" and the breakfast was nice, I actually preferred the rooms at the Madeleine and felt the ambiance and even the breakfast were comparable.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just got back from a month long stay in Europe, where I stayed in a number of high end Hyatt properties in various cities using mostly points and a few nights on P+C. Last on the itinerary was my 2 night stay at the PH Vendome, which I booked using my 2 free Hyatt card certs.

I must say, I think this hotel is a bit overhyped. Sure it is very posh and the location is of course amazing, and I did fully enjoy my stay but I actually much preferred the Andaz Amsterdam and even the huge Grand Hyatt Berlin (which is only 15k points a night). Of course everything is based on the local economy, so that should also be taken into account.

I showed up around 1pm and didn't expect my room to be ready but they told me to have a complimentary beverage and the room would be ready within 10 mins.

The next day I also got the breakfast for 50% off because I was a Gold Passport member (unexpected but welcome benefit). The breakfast was extremely good, but not sure if I would say the same if I would have paid €50 for it. However, for €25 I was a happy camper. Lots of great French pastries, fresh Mango juice, good coffee and custom omelet

Overall a cool hotel, but the price is only so insane because Paris is very expensive. It still made sense to use my free nights here (over $1500 in value!), but had I been a paying customer, I would have felt a little bit ripped off. A good experience, but would definitely would not spend 30k points to stay here again.

Also, catching the Roissybus to CDG was very convenient. Runs direct every 15 mins from just outside Opera station for €10, only steps from the hotel. I would definitely advise this for going both ways between PH Vendome and CDG.

Last edited by invalyd; Nov 1, 2014 at 9:36 am
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

It's been a while since I schlepped down to the gym in this property. Is it worth throwing my workout clothes in my bag to use their equipment or should I just jog around the Tuileries? It's supposed to be rainy.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
The fitness center is small (2 or 3 treadmills, one likely broken) but I have used it 6-7 times and only once seen another person there. I find it useful in these dark morning months in Paris, especially getaway day. Also, it's a tough part of town for running and the sand-gravel of the Tuileries is (IMHO) no treat.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
The fitness center is small (2 or 3 treadmills, one likely broken) but I have used it 6-7 times and only once seen another person there. I find it useful in these dark morning months in Paris, especially getaway day. Also, it's a tough part of town for running and the sand-gravel of the Tuileries is (IMHO) no treat.
That is what I suspected. Thanks.I will pack something suitable for a "walk/jog in the virtual tuileries".

Having said that, my trip to Paris in July was the first time my fitbit recorded over 30K in steps. I hope to surpass that milestone this trip.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I had the concierge make reservations to 2 difficult to get into restaurants. If several members are involved in the reservation/confirmation process, how do I tip? Can you give a tip to the the team? Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thucanhho
I had the concierge make reservations to 2 difficult to get into restaurants. If several members are involved in the reservation/confirmation process, how do I tip? Can you give a tip to the the team? Thanks.
It's their job. They're doing a great job getting you in but you shouldn't feel obliged to tip them. Maybe tell senior management in an email or comment card so they can be commended.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 11:53 pm

We usually bring a few boxes of Fran's salt caramels and also profusely thank them. They have done a bang up job this trip - reservations and flower delivery.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by lalala
We usually bring a few boxes of Fran's salt caramels and also profusely thank them. They have done a bang up job this trip - reservations and flower delivery.
good to hear we are returning in two weeks
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd

I must say, I think this hotel is a bit overhyped. Sure it is very posh and the location is of course amazing, and I did fully enjoy my stay but I actually much preferred the Andaz Amsterdam and even the huge Grand Hyatt Berlin (which is only 15k points a night). Of course everything is based on the local economy, so that should also be taken into account.

I agree with invalyd's assessments. Recently stayed in a suite for a couple nights: the lighting in the room was a little odd, in-room technology was lacking, and it felt a little small (probably because I was in a high floor room).

Location is great and the hotel is nice overall--but for the price there are better options.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Just added to wiki info on using your phone internationally.

I paid 30 euro for a mojito last night so I can experience Le Meurice. This makes breakfast at Les Orchidees a relative steal as wells as a better ambiance.

I LOVE this place!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by thucanhho
Just added to wiki info on using your phone internationally.

I paid 30 euro for a mojito last night so I can experience Le Meurice. This makes breakfast at Les Orchidees a relative steal as wells as a better ambiance.

I LOVE this place!
Heck I had two martini's last night at the bar that was $75 !!! Thankfully I am Diamond. Lots of noise now back of hotel and the Ginger Bread House in center, no sleep during the day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.