Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I suggest you contact the hotel manager if that was the case. The front desk should not do such a thing. However, if you were talking about a better suite, the hotel was correct. If there was a better view room available for all the dates of your stay, they were wrong.
I've never been interested in a suite at this hotel; only the "best available" room. And I can certainly "live" without ever visiting the HRW again. What riles me about this is the implication that the hotel can ignore the Hyatt GP T&Cs with impunity (as they seem to think they can). SPG has long had the problem where certain member hotels substituted their "rules" for those of SPG. But what always appealed to me about HGP and being a Diamond was that Hyatt seemed to run a tight ship when it came to hotel compliance with HGP rules and perks. The individual hotels and their owners seemed to value HGP enough that they made every effort to provide members with the benefits they are entitled to. But with the improving travel economy some owners seem to now feel that they have the leeway to set their own "interpretation" of the T&Cs and Hyatt appears reluctant to set them straight. I'm hoping that the new owners of the HRW see things differently.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Obviously you are very angry at the hotel for not getting an upgrade. I don't know what else to tell you besides what I already have. If you didn't complain while you were there so they could make it right, then there's little else I can say to you. Continuously posting about how they did you wrong really isn't going to help. Perhaps contacting the GP Conceierge can get you a better response.

Overall, this hotel has always treated diamonds very well.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:43 am

Obviously you are very angry at the hotel for not getting an upgrade. I don't know what else to tell you besides what I already have. If you didn't complain while you were there so they could make it right, then there's little else I can say to you. Continuously posting about how they did you wrong really isn't going to help. Perhaps contacting the GP Conceierge can get you a better response.

Overall, this hotel has always treated diamonds very well.
Well, you are continuously posting about how great they treat you so I think a counter point is in order. And, btw, I wasn't looking for an "upgrade" but only what I was entitled to. I did point out where I thought they were wrong but to no avail. And I'm not "angry."
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:01 am

That I do, but I also say that my experience is not what people should expect.

Your entitled to an upgrade, and yes, you should have expected it. Did you not complain and ask to be moved? Did you contact a manager? The front desk at this property has always been spotty, yet even as a newbie, I managed to get what I was entitled to as a diamond - no special treatment - just an ocean view room. I rarely got an ocean front.

And yes, I'm sorry to say, but IIRC, your stay was quite a while ago, and you're still expressing your displeasure. So you do sound angry.

The real question is did you express that displeasure while you were there?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:55 am

That I do, but I also say that my experience is not what people should expect.

Your entitled to an upgrade, and yes, you should have expected it. Did you not complain and ask to be moved? Did you contact a manager? The front desk at this property has always been spotty, yet even as a newbie, I managed to get what I was entitled to as a diamond - no special treatment - just an ocean view room. I rarely got an ocean front.

And yes, I'm sorry to say, but IIRC, your stay was quite a while ago, and you're still expressing your displeasure. So you do sound angry.

The real question is did you express that displeasure while you were there?
Yes-to both the Front Desk Manager as well as the check-in agent and the response from both was "I'm sorry but that is all we can offer you." I was with both of them for 20 minutes or so but after a ten hour flight and a business meeting the next day that was all I had time for. And other than this thread, I have moved on and away from that hotel. And now I'll do so for this thread.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Is that Porsche?

Nice pics.

-David

Thanks David.

This suite is hardly ever used and only for very long time trusted guests. The room attendant told me it has been awhile since this suite was occupied. I have a good relationship with this hotel and am blessed to have been offered this suite.

Not for the faint of heart but this suite is $1000s a night. But, we would do it again in a heartbeat because it was the nicest room we have ever had in our 35 years of vacationing. Pinch-Pinch.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JetAway
Yes-to both the Front Desk Manager as well as the check-in agent and the response from both was "I'm sorry but that is all we can offer you." I was with both of them for 20 minutes or so but after a ten hour flight and a business meeting the next day that was all I had time for. And other than this thread, I have moved on and away from that hotel. And now I'll do so for this thread.
I'm not sure what to say. This property treated me very well. I had 2 previous stays and always got ocean front, i used a suite upgrade and the room was fantastic. This hotel has fantastic service! Honestly, it's amazing how well they catered to all my little needs. I did have a problem in the past but it was resolved and my last 2 stays have been fantastic.

I've stayed at Park Hyatt, Four Seasons, Ritz, Peninsula, the service they gave me was above all of those.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by porschelover
Not for the faint of heart but this suite is $1000s a night.
$4020 a night, to be precise.

http://tokyo.park.hyatt.com/HICBooki...ityCheck=false
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by porschelover
Thanks David.

This suite is hardly ever used and only for very long time trusted guests. The room attendant told me it has been awhile since this suite was occupied. I have a good relationship with this hotel and am blessed to have been offered this suite.

Not for the faint of heart but this suite is $1000s a night. But, we would do it again in a heartbeat because it was the nicest room we have ever had in our 35 years of vacationing. Pinch-Pinch.
It is very, very similar to the suite next door - even the furniture is the same The old regency club also looks the same.

I suspect they used the same basic decor for all of the nicer suites.

I do know they are looking to change them. I received an email about 2 months ago asking for my opinion and what I would like to see in a premium suite.

The first item on my list. A clock in the main living area Seems all of them are missing one.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:28 pm

Success! After calling every day for a week at least we finally were able to use a DSU to get into a 1 bedroom Ocean Front Suite! Now i'm trying to find pictures =D!

Last edited by whitesol; Jun 20, 2014 at 12:02 am
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:12 am

I suspect you won't find pictures because, well, the standard ocean front suite given on a DSU is not much more than 2 rooms with an adjoining door.

The first room is a regular hotel room with one or two beds. The second is the same size, has a Murphey bed, couch, and chair. Essentially, it's just another regular hotel room with different furniture. As well, you probably will be in the Ewa Tower, which is where almost all the standard suites are located. The downside to that tower is that the regency club is in the Diamond Head tower (3rd floor).
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:21 am

I suspect you won't find pictures because, well, the standard ocean front suite given on a DSU is not much more than 2 rooms with an adjoining door.

The first room is a regular hotel room with one or two beds. The second is the same size, has a Murphey bed, couch, and chair. Essentially, it's just another regular hotel room with different furniture. As well, you probably will be in the Ewa Tower, which is where almost all the standard suites are located. The downside to that tower is that the regency club is in the Diamond Head tower (3rd floor).
Really? Now that doesn't seem to be worth me calling everyday! Do you know if I would request a specific tower over the other? Or what's the next suite up from the murphy bed?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by whitesol
Really? Now that doesn't seem to be worth me calling everyday! Do you know if I would request a specific tower over the other? Or what's the next suite up from the murphy bed?
Unfortunately, unless you wanted what is essentially an attached room with a Murphy bed, it may not have been worth the effort.

My understanding is like Mary's, that the majority of the Diamond upgrade suites are in the Ewa tower. Given that the Regency Club has been moved to the third floor, if access to that is important to you I don't think which tower you're in matters all that much. It's not more than a couple minutes walk from one tower to the other on the third floor that the club is on. Not really an issue, IMO.

As for the next suite 'up,' I suspect it won't matter a lot for you. It was years of frequenting this property before I saw anything above the standard suite. This hotel has a number of regular customers, as Mary addressed earlier in this thread, and it seems to usually be those long-time customers who are treated to something more than the standard suite.

Having said that, the 'standard' is two rooms, high up, dead-on ocean front. And there ain't nothin' wrong with that! One of the best ocean views in Waikiki. I hope you enjoy!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:31 pm

You hit the nail on the head.

Keep in mind that even after going there for years, the first time I used a DSU I got that standard DSU suite. I really was surprised when they told me there is only 1 in the Diamond Head tower and all the rest are in Ewa.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
You hit the nail on the head.

Keep in mind that even after going there for years, the first time I used a DSU I got that standard DSU suite. I really was surprised when they told me there is only 1 in the Diamond Head tower and all the rest are in Ewa.
And with the remodeling, half will be taken out of service in July

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.