Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: A few
texmanufan, really sorry to hear the place is not living up to expectation. maybe pierre is a bayern munich fan and this is his way of making up for 1999? (lol - just trying to inject some humor). it is a tough spot, every hotel will have a worst room and when it's full someone is going to have to use it. i have seen similar reports recently on the conrad thread where posters have complained about being in a poorly located semi-detached room connected to another room with loud occupants. but i am certainly very interested in the differences between this resort and the conrad, though given your circumstances it sounds like you are not seeing this place at it's best
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
So are the villa's next to yours (#8 and #10) also have little beach property?

Which villa numbers have you seen have the most beach property?

I'm arrive later this month and want to know which villa to request and else pay for an upgrade.
Yes, I would say that they are not much better. There are times of the day when the tide is up you can't even walk the beach from the path opposite the villa. I can't imagine the beach would change that much in the next couple of weeks but I guess it is possible.

The lower numbers have a rocky beach right now and the quality and/or depth of the beach generally gets better as you circle to the higher villa numbers with 37 being the highest.

Also to consider and as noted on this thread there is a wide variance in the privacy of the villas. The island map is actually pretty accurate in terms of showing this. The further back the villa in the map the more privacy you will have but less view of the beach and ocean. In my case in villa 9 we have a fairly long path leading to not much.

I wouldn't say that paying for an upgrade to a park pool villa from a park villa will necessarily save you the current beach disappointment. You can also tell on the island map which villas have pools and they are spread throughout the numbered beach villas. For instance I wouldn't be happy if I'd sprung for the upgrade and was assigned villa 8 right now.

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
...maybe pierre is a bayern munich fan and this is his way of making up for 1999? (lol - just trying to inject some humor). it is a tough spot, every hotel will have a worst room and when it's full someone is going to have to use it. i have seen similar reports recently on the conrad thread where posters have complained about being in a poorly located semi-detached room connected to another room with loud occupants. but i am certainly very interested in the differences between this resort and the conrad, though given your circumstances it sounds like you are not seeing this place at it's best
Actually the staff have tried to make the best of it and if Pierre is a bayern munich fan he has hidden it from me thus far. Thanks for cheering me up and reminding me of the current state of my team . They have informed us that they will be moving us later today so my pity party should end. I really believe I am not overreacting. Took some pictures of the state of the beach in front of my villa when we arrived and I can't imagine anyone being happy with it.

I'll give it the full stay before I do a comparison of the two resorts to be fair. I will say the night snorkeling excursion last night was amazing and well put on by the resident marine biologist. The reef, much like any city you visit is a different experience at night vs the day.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
> I really believe I am not overreacting.

No way you are over-reacting!! One travels half-way around the world, then from the int'l airport another long amount of air/sea travel, to a property that's not cheap - you should settle for nothing less than amazing, and do what it takes to obtain it if it's not given to you absent of your effort.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by texmanufan
The reef, much like any city you visit is a different experience at night vs the day.
for sure. we did night snorkel last time and a night dive the time before, both were fantastic experiences.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:00 am

Programs: Hyatt&Hilton&BW Diamond,GHA Black,Marriott Plat,SPG Gold,AB Platinum,TK Elite,AZ Alata Plus,EY Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
for sure. we did night snorkel last time and a night dive the time before, both were fantastic experiences.
+1
night snorkeling and diving is something completely different then during day time!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:27 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Park Hyatt Hadahaa Review

Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa

Map| 8 Reviews | 63% Recommended

North Huvadhoo, Gaafu Alifu Atoll , Maldives MV

Park Hyatt Hadahaa Review (0 Photo)

We checked in for a 5 night stay last week on GP points. We had hoped for an upgrade to a Park Pool Villa, and seeing that the property was at 100% we agreed to the the additional USD $200++ per night, and requested Villa 19 for privacy and ocean view. I would recommend paying for the upgrade if you want one, the hotel sits at 100% from NYE to Lunar New Year to Easter and so on.

Check In

Transfers

I have spoken previously about the issue with the transfers, and these were agreed to be settled at check out (although I settlted them the day after we checked in). All guests are told that the hotel will handle the flight and speedboat transfers, and that Q2 do not publish their schedules until the day before. I decided to check the flight times between MLE and GKK onwww.maldivian.aeroto have an idea of when our connection would be (which were 100% accurate). As it stood, we had a 50 minute connection.

We landed in MLE off PG, and passed through a very easy immigration and customs process where we met a rep with a Hyatt sign (not Park Hyatt). He walked us to the domestic terminal which would have been a 5 min walk and carried all of our luggage on a trolley. As I suspected our connecting flight was departing in 10 mins as we had arrived late, however he was confident it wouldn't be an issue. It was clear this was because the rep has a good relationship with Q2. Had we missed the flight, we would have had to wait 6 hours. On the day of departure we were told that 6 arriving guests would miss that flight and have to wait for the 11:30PM flight.

The Q2 check in sign for GKK had closed, but he spoke to agents who checked our bags and issues our boarding passes. The sign changed to boarding and he offered for us to have a drink in the Q2 lounge, but we just wanted to get on the flight. Note that most international size carry on luggage will not fit on a Dash-8 so as with QantasLink I removed my laptop, iPad and travel documents to carry on board with me. I still locked my carry on bag. Also, when I took my Louis Vuitton metal necklace off to go through the metal detector I noticed the security agent checking to make sure it was not a crucifix. My husband has a crucifix tattoo and I instructed him to wear a shirt that covers it.

The flight made one stop and we arrived at a tiny, new airport by which time it was dark. We were taken by golf cart to the marina, and offered to sit in an an unlit wooden tent structure. I wasn't game enough to sit in the dark so I just waited in the light until the delivered the bags to the speedboat. Note that getting on and off the boat is very difficult. I was wearing jeans and consider myself quite fit, but it's a long step from the jetty onto the boat, and imagine it's much harder if your older or have back issues.

We were given cold towels and there were glass botles of water and provided with life jackets. We were told it would be 25 mins, but I'm certain it was around 40 mins. I really didn't want to take the transfer at night, but we had no choice. My husband got scared at some points at the sea can be quite rough. We took motion sickness tablets, and were glad that we did.

Arrival and Check in

As others have noted, the GM and the management team meet every arrival and departure. I had some previous communication with him via another PH GM and he made sure to look after us. We were taken from the Dusk jetty directly to our villa 19 and check in was performed in room. There was a bottle of Champagne on ice, a delightful card (the first time any hotel has ever referred to us correctly as Mr x and Mr xx as opposed to Mr and Mrs x) and the Guest Service Officer gave us a room orientation. He took our passports and brought them back a few moments later and our luggage was delivered.

We sat on the beach chairs and drank the Champagne and the desserts that were provided in the room. Below you will see photos of villa 19 that I took specifically for FT. We specifically wanted the pool, however it was rather cold. We ended up using the main pool which was never that busy. We had rocks in the sand outside our villa so the best part of the beach is in front of the main pool which I recommend. Use SPF50+ sunscreen, pack a baseball cap otherwise you will burn otherwise. Despite the beautiful view the glare requires sunglasses. Also, we requested a villa for privacy and the trees provided that, but we had little direct view of the ocean from the living room.

Room

Villa 19

The villas have screens which act as blockouts. Each villa can see into the villa next to it. With the situation of Villa 19, we kept the blackouts for privacy from Villa 18, however Villa 20 was around the corner so this was not an issue.

The villas are beautifully built of wood. I had stayed at Bora Bora and far prefer this to the standard thatched roof villa.

The villa has a brilliant TV and AV surround system, with a high tech setup media centre that can play anything via bluetooth. Arrival music is cued for when you check in which is a nice touch. The in villa iPad was cool, but the previous guest left all of their email, facebook & iMessage login details. I would not recommend doing anything personal on it. There is another LCD display that rotates activities of the day.

The bathroom is beautiful, indoor and outdoor shower, large outside bathtub and some very high quality products. We left the aircon running at all times. It would have been nice to just let cross ventilation, but with the insects it would not be possible. We used the daybed on the first day, but after that an army, and I mean army of ants were all over it heading to a tree behind out villa.

Dining

From the breakfast menu you can pick as much as you want. Breakfast is served until 11:30AM. They serve a 3 platters of fruit, pastries and a local tuna dish before your mains (pictured below). We have to say that the breakfast is not up to PH standard. It looks great, but the taste is average and we got bored of choices after then 2nd day. They have just appointed a new F&B Manager so hopefully that changes. I recommend the local Maldivian dishes which are amazing.

We generally skipped lunch sharing snacks we brought with us, and had dinner after the Sundowner and canapplatter which we had on the beach next to the bar each night. The cocktails are great, and free pour so very strong for us Aussies, and the female bartender was definitely the star of the hotel. She appeared to be the only local female staff member.

Also, Happy Hour is between 3-5PM at the bar for 2 for 1 drinks. We generally ordered two rounds twice a day and is a great way to save on drink costs.

We tried the Island Grille and the dish I wanted on the iPad was not on offer. They are clearly going for a high end restaurant feel, and we ended up ordering a trio of entrees (appetizers) and the lamb chops and a steak. Disappointing as I really wanted to try local food. The food was very good, and you eat with your shoes off on the sand, but I didn't feel like a 5 star dinner with fussy service... in fact I wanted a relaxed experience.

In villa dining at night is simply not possible. The room is not set up for it, and you can't eat outside at night. We decided to order entrees and mains at the bar and eat them on the beach. This was a great way to combine the sundowner and canapes with our food. We actually enjoyed the bar food the best and can recommend the Chicken Lollypops with Blue Cheese Dip, Vegetarian Spring Rolls and Satays. The best main, without doubt, is the Maldavian Chicken or Tuna Curry which we had several times.

On Saturdays the GM has a welcome reception with complimentary canapes and cocktails and the beach. It was a nice gesture, but I couldn't help but feel that the staff were forced to perform the show. One staff member informed me that the lead role is always performed by a woman, and given that only men were performing it was clear this was not truly traditional. All the staff of the hotel attend and are clearly briefed to talk to each guest. It was a good insight into the local and international staff. Interestingly, Maldivian law requires at least 51% of local employment, and most of the PH's staff are from local islands.

After the reception we had the beach BBQ which for USD $95 each was good value. You can have unlimited wine for USD $28 each but we opted for cocktails. The chefs will make you a salad, and BBQ prawns, lobster, lamb, beef or chicken and there is a huge table of desserts. FYI, most of out other meals ran from USD $175 - $285.

Hadahaa

The island is beautiful, takes about 15 mins to walk around and even at 100% doesn't feel full. Beware, people do walk around the island, often, and almost every single person looks into the villas. At one point I caught a woman watching me showering outdoors..... so if you choose an uninterrupted view like villas 1-6, be prepared!

The beauty of Hadahaa is quite breathtaking, and makes up for the difficulty of getting to the resort.

Back of house is on the inside of the resort and I noticed a large structure that served as a Mosque. Apparently an Imam visits from a local island every Friday.

On a daily basis we had a late breakfast then sat on the beach chairs, swam in the ocean, then moved back to the pool in the shade. Do not spend too much time in the sun, it was clear that many people had been severely sunburnt on their first day and has to spend their entire vacation in the shade.

I snorkelled on the main beach and was impressed by how much you can see. On my last day I did a guided snorkel (of which I was the only guest) and I can highly recommend it for USD $55. I have snorkelled on the Great Barrier Reef, Sharm el Shiekh and can say that this house reef is exceptional. I saw lobsters, reef sharks and a great number of fish. It is without doubt one of the best water adventures I have undertaken and highly recommend the tour.

Service

The dedicated Guest Service Officer is a nice idea in theory, however we saw ours once during the whole stay. In fact, when we had the room orientation he made no mention of the Diamond complimentary sundowner drink per guest and canapes. I knew this from FT and the front desk confirmed it. This is really the only Diamond benefit. Given that all guests get free wifi, free breakfast and upgrades are rare you won't feel as special as you do at other Park Hyatts.

The hotel provides one large glass bottle of sparkling and still water as well as replenish dessert every day. Room service was not consistently timed from day to day.

The main points to note are that you cannot leave any amount of food out, you are on a jungle island. There are ants and geckos everywhere. Rinse your cups of coffee, rinse chip or chocolate packets and put them in the trash on the paths outside the villa. Place towels under the glass bathroom door to stop ants and geckos coming in.

Overall

Overall, we had a great stay and words or photos do not do the scenery justice. The hotel is lacking in parts such as our invisible guest service officer, having my credit card incorrectly decline because of the bank that they use, and some overly fussy service in the restaurants when you just want to relax, and food not as good as it should be, but these are to be expected of a newly rebranded property. The arrival and departure transfer arrangements are unacceptable, and need to be improved. We had our flights for departure 'confirmed' at 9:30PM the night prior which when you have to leave at 11:45AM is simply unacceptable. Noone paying that much would tolerate such a lack of information, especially when you are told that you will know by 6PM.

We did try to split the stay with an overwater villa, but the hotel was at 100%. It would have been nice, but I must say that I don't feel like I missed out. I never, and I mean never, saw anyone swimming near those villas and I never discovered why, perhaps the coral and the reef make it difficult.

The PH Hadahaa is difficult to get to, but for its natural beauty it is the jewel in the Hyatt crown. Arrive, relax, forget about your work, leave your cell phones off and enjoy the resort as you will never experience anything like it ever again.

Park Hyatt Hadahaa Review

Would you like to write a review on the Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Great report^

Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:40 am

All guests are told that the hotel will handle the flight and speedboat transfers, and that Q2 do not publish their schedules until the day before. I decided to check the flight times between MLE and GKK on www.maldivian.aero to have an idea of when our connection would be (which were 100% accurate).
So the flights shown on Q2 website were correct for your connections? Just wondering why they state schedules are not published until the previous day?

We had rocks in the sand outside our villa so the best part of the beach is in front of the main pool which I recommend.
Would you say the villas on the other side of the Island 25 and higher beaches have no rocks or is about the same as was in front of your villa?

Also, when I took my Louis Vuitton metal necklace off to go through the metal detector I noticed the security agent checking to make sure it was not a crucifix. My husband has a crucifix tattoo and I instructed him to wear a shirt that covers it.
I don't think anyone should have to worry about hiding their religious preference when traveling to the Maldives. I live in probably one of the most conservative Muslim country behind Saudi Arabia and never felt worried or discriminated against because of wearing a cross.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: Hyatt&Hilton&BW Diamond,GHA Black,Marriott Plat,SPG Gold,AB Platinum,TK Elite,AZ Alata Plus,EY Gold
A really nice report!

Just two remarks:
- Breakfast is served when you like it. That's a great feature, in this climate I'm happy with breakfast between 1200-1400
- Swimming around the water Villas is not a good idea because of the reef. Snorkeling is much better, while swimming you wo do harm to the reef and yourself

And, even as I really like this island:
The change from personal host to guest service team is the only, but a great mischange. The personal host was great, the guest service team is hit and miss.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Villa 19

The villas have screens which act as blockouts. Each villa can see into the villa next to it. With the situation of Villa 19, we kept the blackouts for privacy from Villa 18, however Villa 20 was around the corner so this was not an issue.

The island is beautiful, takes about 15 mins to walk around and even at 100% doesn't feel full. Beware, people do walk around the island, often, and almost every single person looks into the villas. At one point I caught a woman watching me showering outdoors..... so if you choose an uninterrupted view like villas 1-6, be prepared!
I thought the outdoor shower is behind the building that no one should see you. I need to rethink about it if I want to take shower outdoor.

Also if you get a chance to pick another Pool Villa, what would be your choice? I read someone has mentioned there are more sands (less rocks) on the higher number villa but the higher number villa will face the jetty which could be an issue. Would love to hear your feedback on this.

Also, Happy Hour is between 3-5PM at the bar for 2 for 1 drinks. We generally ordered two rounds twice a day and is a great way to save on drink costs.
Good to know. We will definitely try out drinks at Happy Hour. Do the food items get discounted as well during Happy Hour?

The arrival and departure transfer arrangements are unacceptable, and need to be improved. We had our flights for departure 'confirmed' at 9:30PM the night prior which when you have to leave at 11:45AM is simply unacceptable. Noone paying that much would tolerate such a lack of information, especially when you are told that you will know by 6PM.
The transfer is the biggest issue that worries me the most. My partner and I are arriving a day earlier and will stay near the MLE airport for one night before we get transferred but they can't give us the "estimated" time that we need to be at the airport next day to meetup the Hyatt rep.

It seems really early to ask you guys to leave the island at 11:45 am when your flight is at 9:30 pm. I wonder how early they will ask us to leave when our flight is at 4 pm.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Great review M0hamed!

I'm pretty sure I've posted this before. While some travelers like having "everything taken care of", I'm the opposite and I want the details, I don't need nor want to trust that it's all OK". I don't mind setting up my own diving rig, in fact if the boat staff sets it up for me I'm only going to tear it down in part and redo it myself to know it's OK. It's the same with the transfers.

I checked the Q2 (Q2 was used when I visited) schedules, and knew them... and knew my int'l itineraries. I spoke numerous times directly with the front desk well before my trip and during my trip (yeah, they probably thought I was a PITA). Basically there was one and only one Q2 flight each day that "worked for me" - any other would result in a huge un-needed layover in MLE, worse a forced overnight, or a mis-connect. Flights sell out, I made sure the property had me on the "correct" Q2 flight for arrival and departure, and did not "screw up" and cause me a long(er) layover or mis-connect (beyond what the optimal Q2 choice would provide). I reconfirmed, and then reconfirmed.

One can argue that a PH shouldn't make a traveler go through such steps, but to me the risk outweighed such thoughts, and I would obsess on it anyway, so be it a PH or a hostel my behavior doesn't change. And I found the PH service was good with working with me and my way of doing it.

So, if one wants to make sure one has the optimal boat/Q2/int'l itineraries, one only needs to research and take action, and reconfirm a few times.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:39 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
From my deductions, the Q2 website is accurate. Even the GM maintained that their flights aren't confirmed until the day before, but our seats were guaranteed. I interpreted this as they made reservation requests however they did not receive email/fax confirmation from Q2 until quite late. In my mind, the hotel could be more proactive. Surely if I can look up schedules they can advise an estimated time.

FYI our MLE departure was at 16:55. We left the hotel at 11:45AM (really 12:15PM as other pax held us up) and departed GKK at 12:45PM. Remember that the hotel is an hour ahead of GKK and MLE time. My understanding is that the international airlines arrive to connect with Q2. On our departure we saw EK, EY, QR, SQ, PG and other airlines all arrive within 2 hours.

I was told breakfast after 11:30AM was chargable. I expect if it's delayed because of an activity then they will allow you to have it after.

As far as the villas, the ones with the most unineruppted views were low numbers. 1 had no trees in front of it, but was in full view of the dawn jetty and right next to the hotel signage. Their facebook page published a photo of the view from villa 6. As I said earlier, if you want privacy you lose your view and vice versa. Just be upfront in what you want.

The outdoor shower was nice, but shut the screens at the front. We were more concerned of offending the staff, but didn't expect other guests to be spying. We actually overheard one woman discussing how attractive my husband was at the beach which was a little odd... but flattering, I guess

Food items are not discounted during happy hour. As I said, it's a good idea to combine happy hour with bar food, or the Sundowner with food. The lunch menu from The Dining Room is offered at the bar. On our final night we ordered three entrees and were very full. Don't assume that the snacks at the bar are small portions.

Kmcbird2, we were just being cautious. Travelling as a gay couple we just wanted to get in and out of MLE quickly. We changed our wedding rings to the other hand, and left our copies of the Gay Times etc. in BKK. It may be overkill, but I do the same in all Muslim countries. Overkill or not, MLE is very unstable and I would avoid overnighting at all costs: See http://www.amnesty.org/en/region/maldives
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:44 pm

I will say on our way back last time through gkk we were on an afternoon flight that magically appeared from nowhere. It was not listed on Maldivian.aero the day before. Amazingly, it was full too
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:19 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Having spoken quite extensively to resort about this, there is little they can do although the Q2 timetable gives a guideline. Maldivian take bookings or certain flights. The day before, they look how many people they have on each flight and decide whether to run to schedule, combine 2 flights or put an extra one on. Q2 work on Maldivian time I.e. they fly when they want to fly. Good that they don't run empty planes but a pain for passengers.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:55 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by price123
Having spoken quite extensively to resort about this, there is little they can do although the Q2 timetable gives a guideline. Maldivian take bookings or certain flights. The day before, they look how many people they have on each flight and decide whether to run to schedule, combine 2 flights or put an extra one on. Q2 work on Maldivian time I.e. they fly when they want to fly. Good that they don't run empty planes but a pain for passengers.
The GM said that the Maldives is exploding with tourism and Q2 is finding difficulty catching up. He said it is very much relationship based so they had some sway with flights, but as I said, some arrivals that night would miss the 4:30PM flight and have to wait until 11:30PM.

I'm not sure why the property doesn't charter several seaplanes like the W, although I believe the W is closer. This would be more appropriate for a property of this stature and enable better scheduling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.