Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 11:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by PancakeGames
So this sounds amazing...although the price is now $2,000 per couple.

We will be snorkeling but not diving, doing some excursions and taking a few trips to the spa. For you (and anyone else), how would you rank the various excursions/activities/spa individually in terms of 'must' vs 'meh'?

day vs night snorkeling

traditional Maldivian fishing vs trolling fishing

dolphin cruise vs starlight cruise

equator excursion vs island picnic

Also, has anyone had success negotiating a flat rate for a package deal of pre-specified excursions/activities/spa treatments? They offer 10% off prior to arrival but the 10% 'service' charge basically cancels that out.

Thanks in advance!
If they're charging 2K, that may be for the yacht. Would be surprised if they charged that for the speedboat.

We saw dolphins basically every time we went out on a boat (even on the return from PH). I wouldnt spend your money on a dolphin cruise.

As far as equator vs island picnic... well the equator excursion includes an island picnic, so that obviously wins out.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:05 pm
Suspended

For the dolphins, did you get to swim/free dive with them?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
Originally Posted by PancakeGames
So this sounds amazing...although the price is now $2,000 per couple.

We will be snorkeling but not diving, doing some excursions and taking a few trips to the spa. For you (and anyone else), how would you rank the various excursions/activities/spa individually in terms of 'must' vs 'meh'?

day vs night snorkeling

traditional Maldivian fishing vs trolling fishing

dolphin cruise vs starlight cruise

equator excursion vs island picnic

Also, has anyone had success negotiating a flat rate for a package deal of pre-specified excursions/activities/spa treatments? They offer 10% off prior to arrival but the 10% 'service' charge basically cancels that out.

Thanks in advance!
Was there last month for 5 nights and it was phenomenal.

We did the guided snorkeling on the first day and I found it to be helpful. Our guide was excellent and gave us ideas of when and where to go. I wouldn't do any guided tours after that (although nighttime sounds fun). We snorkeled the reef a few times then moved to an OWB and then just hung around our room when snorkeling (which was more convenient).

I did the Maldivian fishing and it was a lot of fun. There were 3 guests and 5 crew who really took care of us. It is a lot of work (you drop the line almost 200 meters) to haul the line back up but worth it. When the fish hit, you have to be very fast. I lost a ton of bait to those smart fish. Ultimately, I caught 3 fish (you get to keep one that they will cook for you when you return). My red snapper was the best I've ever had (get it grilled). If you even kind of like fishing, I highly recommend it (we also saw some sharks attacking a ray which was kind of cool).

We did the dolphin cruise and saw at least 500 dolphins. It was crazy and every staff person said they don't usually see that. We sat in one area for quite a while while the bottle nose and spinners played off the bow. Highly recommended.

My wife had the HOONU Evvaru Ritual and said it was amazing and she would do it again (and again and again). Just don't go with a sun burn The exfoliants can make it a bit painful.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Jeffmiyagi
For the dolphins, did you get to swim/free dive with them?
I have found (in many years of boating, diving, free diving, etc.) that wild dolphins not in sleep state aren't going to let you "swim with them". While at PH Maldives doing AM boat dives, we twice (during our surface time interval while transiting) boated up to a pod and as we had only 2-3 customer divers on board immediately jumped into the middle of the pod with snorkel gear. Each time, I managed to initially be in fine viewing distance (say 30m) of a few dolphins (dozens in the pods), but those dolphins quickly swam away.

I have the same experience boating in Florida, and on the rare instances that I've seen dolphins mid-dive (scuba), they just swim by.

I've read of others having dolphins stay close when encountered, but I think that's rare. Now, a pod that has some in sleep state, where the pod does repeated gentle circles/laps (which others do watch) is a different story - I've swam with such pod in Maui a few different times for up to an hour at a time.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:04 pm

We did not have the ability/opportunity to get out. However, I was encouraged to stick my GoPro over the side and under water. They came pretty close but I wouldn't have wanted to touch one (they were swimming way too fast) even if I could have.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 10:47 am

Stayed here last week. Some thoughts:

1) I wasn't expecting such a long transfer time. Left Abu Dhabi hotel around 7 AM and got to Park Hyatt around 9 PM or so. Barely made dinner. The 4 hour layover in Male really sucks. I feel like they need a boat plane transfer or something, although maybe it is too far for that.

2) The boat transfer was horrible - couldn't wait for it to end. Mostly due to getting in at night and rough seas. So can't see anything other than blackness, and the whole time we are bouncing off waves fairly hard. The return during the day was far more enjoyable.

3) We were relieved to finally arrive, and I had an OWV the first two nights to try it out. They upgrade me to a sunset villa, so we were almost at the end of the pier. This ended up being very bad. All night we couldn't sleep due to the storm. It was incredibly loud inside with crashing waves below us, some pouring rain during the night, and constant howling winds. The villa is very exposed and considering the wind speed, it sounded way worse inside than it should.

4) The entire first day it rained. Heavy surf. Really heavy rain at times. Stayed inside and tried to catch up on sleep. Second night was similar with heavy waves, wind, rain. Combined with jet lag we were pretty tired and yet still unable to sleep well.

5) Next day started to clear, still cloudy and heavy surf. I was forced to check out at noon (really 11 AM due to their weird time thing) and no room was available until 2 PM. So OWV was a major failure. Only had it for 40 hours, cost a lot of money, never got to enjoy it. On the plus side I never had to deal with the AC since it was always raining while I had the room. Never got to snorkel off the room since the surf was too rough.

6) Park villa was nice, no pool upgrades available for a diamond though. Didn't seem necessary to get a pool.

7) Food was solid. Everything I had was good, but not amazing or anything. Breakfast was a little disappointing I think. I like fresh fruits and they only had limited fruits out. Pancakes/french toast/waffles I had were all pretty bad. Other breakfast dishes were good. Coffee/cappuccinos were excellent.

So despite all that above, I really enjoyed it here. Yes, the first day was the worst ever. I was having very serious regrets of traveling to the Maldives at all the first 48 hours. After that the sun came out and the last few days and made up for it. We had a nice day of calm snorkeling at least. Seems like I just got really unlucky with not seeing the sun (at all) my first 48 hours, and then still getting rain most days for the remainder.

I guess the takeaway is I never saw anyone mention how horrible the OWVs are if it storms. Just something to keep in mind. Also, I wouldn't go back in December - it seems like rainy season is lasting longer...

edit: Also seems like the diamond drinks 5-7 PM are limited now compared to what I saw online. They have a special menu with only a few selections compared to their full drink menu. Only basic stuff like martini, margarita, etc.

Last edited by alexj7; Dec 13, 2016 at 10:53 am
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I would say the takeaway is to book a longer trip than one (not you necessarily) plans, as weather can ruin part of one's trip. Many post here "is x days enough" or "how many days is optimal for travel here"... I say add 2-3 days just to make sure one doesn't have the whole trip ruined by weather. It's the same with a ski trip (if one desires powder skiing let's say).
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:13 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by canyonleo
I would say the takeaway is to book a longer trip than one (not you necessarily) plans, as weather can ruin part of one's trip. Many post here "is x days enough" or "how many days is optimal for travel here"... I say add 2-3 days just to make sure one doesn't have the whole trip ruined by weather. It's the same with a ski trip (if one desires powder skiing let's say).
Agree. It's widely documented to allow a day for travel for arrival or departure. I wouldn't visit for less than a week which would mean five full days at the resort.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Agree. It's widely documented to allow a day for travel for arrival or departure. I wouldn't visit for less than a week which would mean five full days at the resort.
I tend to stay 4-5 nights places, I get bored quickly. I did 4 nights here and 4 nights at another resort closer to Male. So I still had plenty of good weather, just at the other resort. I would've planned 5 nights at the PH but my schedule didn't allow it and I needed 4 nights at the other place to get the Citi Prestige 4th night free.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
I have been here the last 5 days.
We arrived male late, so we did an airbnb overnight in male before taking the 10am domestic flight the following morning. It made the journey somewhat more enjoyable than Alexj7's, but still, we didn't arrive the island until 2pm and the water was very rough.
I would recommend preparing for seasick medicine if any of your traveling party is sensitive to seasick.

Very disappointed that they downgraded the diamond Sundowner menu. Now they only have 5 basic cocktails to choose from along with wine, shots, beer, mocktails etc.

Also, starting yesterday, the resort is running 15% discount on Reef Exploration, Journey to island formation, discover scuba diving, local island visit and Equator Experience until end of the year. So if you're visiting the next 2 weeks and have pre-booked those activities, you might want to contact the hotel to get the extra 5%.

Lastly, people discussed about the Equator Experience earlier. I can confirm the price is 2000/couple and they use the normal speedboat, no yacht.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I'm here for a few more days.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by bertuzzi

Lastly, people discussed about the Equator Experience earlier. I can confirm the price is 2000/couple and they use the normal speedboat, no yacht.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I'm here for a few more days.
Yikes! Looks like I lucked out. Was originally set to pay 2500++ on the yacht, but it went out of service. When I brought up the price being outrageous for the speedboat (still quoting me $2500++), they apologized and offered it for $1200++. It definately felt like I was getting a deal. Crew of 5 for 5+ hours plus the gas and food expenditure.
Dive shop personnel said the yacht would return to service at some point. Was hoping this would happen before I eventually return. Maybe they arent planning to bring it back though. :-p
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bertuzzi
I have been here the last 5 days.
We arrived male late, so we did an airbnb overnight in male before taking the 10am domestic flight the following morning. It made the journey somewhat more enjoyable than Alexj7's, but still, we didn't arrive the island until 2pm and the water was very rough.
This is a good tip. Our flight into Male wouldn't get us there until 9:30 pm. I guess it would make sense to save our money (points) and stay somewhere for the night, then off to the PH in the morning.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
What does DSU get you in that property?
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:14 am
Suspended

Are any of you able to find consistent C+P availability? I've only been able to find an odd night here and there that offers C+P but never 2 nights back to back.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by alexj7
Stayed here last week. Some thoughts:

1) I wasn't expecting such a long transfer time. Left Abu Dhabi hotel around 7 AM and got to Park Hyatt around 9 PM or so. Barely made dinner. The 4 hour layover in Male really sucks. I feel like they need a boat plane transfer or something, although maybe it is too far for that.
Funny because we felt we didn't have enough time (or it was tighter than we would have wanted, I suppose). We had less than an hour, which was probably fine but just felt a bit rushed. Our flight from Male to Kooddoo wasn't non-stop either so we had some extra time there

2) The boat transfer was horrible - couldn't wait for it to end. Mostly due to getting in at night and rough seas. So can't see anything other than blackness, and the whole time we are bouncing off waves fairly hard. The return during the day was far more enjoyable.
We weren't prepared for this either (we also had a night transfer on the way there). They had nausea bands for my wife but she really had trouble with the darkness and the rough waves. Fortunately for us, that was the last night of the storm on our stay.

3) We were relieved to finally arrive, and I had an OWV the first two nights to try it out. They upgrade me to a sunset villa, so we were almost at the end of the pier. This ended up being very bad. All night we couldn't sleep due to the storm. It was incredibly loud inside with crashing waves below us, some pouring rain during the night, and constant howling winds. The villa is very exposed and considering the wind speed, it sounded way worse inside than it should.
I'm not really sure what the advantage is of the sunset water villas. They are further out on the pier but the view isn't appreciably better. I was glad I didn't upgrade to one of these. It wouldn't have been worth the cost to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.