Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by scented
I believe this has been discussed before. Yes it's expensive, but this is what you're looking at when you're booking the Maldives during this time of the year. Spending the 31st on a remote island is a trophy thing and resorts drives their revenue this way. They will ultimately overdeliver and offer more than stated in the text and there have been reports that it is not mandatory in reality, as people have found ways around it by contacting management.
I agree with you about spending the holidays in the Maldives. But, there are many ways to charge for this (virtually every luxury hotel does seasonal pricing for this exact reason) without having to force your guests into participating in activities they aren't interested in.

I have zero interest in bringing in the New Year with a bunch of strangers. I don't mean to sound elitist, arrogant, condescending, etc. I just would prefer to spend it in privacy with my significant other. Especially considering NYE is our anniversary.

Anxiously awaiting a response from management. When you combine this with the boat transfer, and the 4th night free I can get on a Citi Prestige card, doing NYE in Amanoi (Vietnam) or any of the Bali Aman's is only marginally more expense.

Only problem then is what to do with my 200K Hyatt points .
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I agree with you about spending the holidays in the Maldives. But, there are many ways to charge for this (virtually every luxury hotel does seasonal pricing for this exact reason) without having to force your guests into participating in activities they aren't interested in.

I have zero interest in bringing in the New Year with a bunch of strangers. I don't mean to sound elitist, arrogant, condescending, etc. I just would prefer to spend it in privacy with my significant other. Especially considering NYE is our anniversary.

Anxiously awaiting a response from management. When you combine this with the boat transfer, and the 4th night free I can get on a Citi Prestige card, doing NYE in Amanoi (Vietnam) or any of the Bali Aman's is only marginally more expense.

Only problem then is what to do with my 200K Hyatt points .
FYI, are you a snorkeler or scuba diver? Because the shore snorkeling at Hyatt Maldives will blow away any of those other options, and the diving will blow away all but maybe Bali, but it will at least equal Bali and offer a no driving (just walk to the boat) experience that Bali won't give you (for equal type sealife).

This Hyatt also offers a "right on a desolate gorgeous beach experience" that the others won't equal (granted, the others offer it just not right outside one's door).

If one just wants a luxury travel experience then I can see how Maldives might not be the perfect (for that person) option.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
FYI, are you a snorkeler or scuba diver? Because the shore snorkeling at Hyatt Maldives will blow away any of those other options, and the diving will blow away all but maybe Bali, but it will at least equal Bali and offer a no driving (just walk to the boat) experience that Bali won't give you (for equal type sealife).

This Hyatt also offers a "right on a desolate gorgeous beach experience" that the others won't equal (granted, the others offer it just not right outside one's door).

If one just wants a luxury travel experience then I can see how Maldives might not be the perfect (for that person) option.
You make a lot of fair points. I also went to Bali just 6 months ago, and the thought of going to the same place twice in a year is not good to me, even though I absolutely fell in love with Bali. Too many new places to see, though!

I am not a scuba diver and have actually never been snorkeling either. My SO and I were planning on getting PADI certified here in Boston in order to save time / money while at the hotel. It also seems like diving is VERY expensive when compared to other resorts. I get why, but it makes it difficult to justify doing more than a couple times.

My biggest worry is the service. While PH's have always treated me well, I'm a bit worried that I've been spoiled by some more luxury hotels that strive for something a bit more than a PH can offer. I hope that doesn't come across as snooty. I just don't want to be disappointed. This is a huge trip for us for personal reasons, and since I get only one vacation a year, want to make sure it's worth it, even if that means spending more elsewhere.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat 100, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
My biggest worry is the service. While PH's have always treated me well, I'm a bit worried that I've been spoiled by some more luxury hotels that strive for something a bit more than a PH can offer. I hope that doesn't come across as snooty. I just don't want to be disappointed. This is a huge trip for us for personal reasons, and since I get only one vacation a year, want to make sure it's worth it, even if that means spending more elsewhere.
It seems that you're already setting your expectations high so that's just asking for trouble IMO and ultimately setting yourself up for disappointment. I don't think you can really predict whether you'll have a good experience at any given property unless you've been there before and even then there are days where things just don't go as planned. With the amount of effort it takes to get to this property, I understand your concern to make sure you have the best experience possible.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by tsolin01
It seems that you're already setting your expectations high so that's just asking for trouble IMO and ultimately setting yourself up for disappointment. I don't think you can really predict whether you'll have a good experience at any given property unless you've been there before and even then there are days where things just don't go as planned. With the amount of effort it takes to get to this property, I understand your concern to make sure you have the best experience possible.
Fair and valid - I've done the same thing in the past and am doing my best to keep expectations to a fair level.

That said, $1400 (with tax) for a glorified dinner for 2 on the beach on New Year's Eve is completely outrageous. It's not a private dinner, it's not even a full open bar (just wine + beer), and the food description isn't anything to write home about. Yes, maybe they will over-deliver, but as non-drinkers who'd rather keep to themselves (hence the reason for going all the way to the middle of nowhere for vacation), this is just very unappealing.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:42 pm

I totally understand your point, callmedtop. I hope management will find a solution that works for you.
Haven't been to 'Kila in a while, my last time was back in the day when Tracy was there, but even the very green 'Noi under Susan walked all over PH Maldives - naturally. Good thing you have your expectations in check, service is nowhere near those leagues - but the best use of 200K points by far!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:33 pm

IMO you're picking the wrong place (property) to visit if you want service and luxury. Whatever you are paying for your nights is worth it alone for the location, don't think in terms of allocating any of that nightly rate to service.

This is like the most remote place on the planet (just look at a globe, it's 7 degrees lat, in the middle of the Indian Ocean), and there's nice accommodations and some decent food... IMO one shouldn't even consider service (let's face it, it's probably not a FS or RC type service experience).
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
IMO you're picking the wrong place (property) to visit if you want service and luxury. Whatever you are paying for your nights is worth it alone for the location, don't think in terms of allocating any of that nightly rate to service.

This is like the most remote place on the planet (just look at a globe, it's 7 degrees lat, in the middle of the Indian Ocean), and there's nice accommodations and some decent food... IMO one shouldn't even consider service (let's face it, it's probably not a FS or RC type service experience).
This argument seems a bit simplistic. If Hyatt charges $1500 a night for a Pool villa (and often $2k), that isn't far off from the true luxury Maldives properties, who DO offer that high level of service.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:38 pm

Are those luxury properties so close to the equator in a relatively undeveloped atoll, with a pristine reef, no flights overhead, no other properties in view? Yeah, some are, some aren't. But it is that simple (from a perspective) - go here expecting a RC or FS type luxury service, even if the price is comparable, and you'll be disappointed most likely. Go here expecting basic good and friendly service, and focus on the location, the island, and the sea, and have expectations well met.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Thanks for posting this. I just checked and this now shows up for bookings for Christmas. When I originally booked the room, this was not a condition. I will be reaching out to my PL rep to get clarification on how mandatory something is if they add it after the fact. I don't mind paying an extra charge if I am presented this information when booking and allowing me to choose to book the room or not but adding something after the fact is not cool in my book and is also a very shady business practice.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:31 pm

This argument seems a bit simplistic. If Hyatt charges $1500 a night for a Pool villa (and often $2k), that isn't far off from the true luxury Maldives properties, who DO offer that high level of service.
ADR (the actual average nightly rate paid) and published rates are very different things. At the top end properties, virtually everyone pays published rates (although some may be upgraded, and repeat guests might get slight discounts or other inclusions). At this property substantially lower rates are available through third party websites and travel agencies, and many guests redeem points for all or part of a stay.

IMHO this property is a value proposition for award stays and on discounted rates, but is not competative at rates of $1500~$2000/night.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by ronbo83
Thanks for posting this. I just checked and this now shows up for bookings for Christmas. When I originally booked the room, this was not a condition. I will be reaching out to my PL rep to get clarification on how mandatory something is if they add it after the fact. I don't mind paying an extra charge if I am presented this information when booking and allowing me to choose to book the room or not but adding something after the fact is not cool in my book and is also a very shady business practice.
As a lawyer, I can tell you that they cannot make it mandatory after you booked.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:37 am

I've gotten a response from Hyatt:

With regards to mandatory New Year eve, this happens every year in our resort. We have 2 annual events every year and those are Christmas Eve on 24th December & New Year Eve on 31st December.

On these dates, our food & beverage outlets (Restaurant, Bars, & In-Villa Dining) are non-operational & all our private dining options are closed for this day.

For all the guest staying over these dates are need to be part of this mandatory event, however if you wish not to participate, we may not be able to offer you anything apart from these events.

We would appreciate if you may review and discuss on this proposal with your travel partner and you may choose to be part of this celebration.
I'm relatively happy with this, although the idea of not eating anything at all is a little rough - either pay $570 per person or go hungry! Hopefully we can have a late lunch and that will carry us over. I did reply asking what time lunch service would stop, as his email suggests there would be no food at all for the entire day, which can't be right.

I can't believe I'm asking this, but - is it OK to bring a couple of, say, Cup of Noodles, so we CAN eat dinner? Nothing screams New Years's Eve / Anniversary romance like microwaved / boiled water noodles on the beach...but this is a matter of principle for me. $1400 for a glorified buffet as non-drinkers who simply want to enjoy our privacy on our special day is just ludicrous.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:50 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
When we were last there we noticed families eating noodles in the beach and pool.

I agree with your principle to choose. I'm surprised they will close all other options, but perhaps back of house staff will be prepping for the main event.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:12 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
I've gotten a response from Hyatt:

I'm relatively happy with this, although the idea of not eating anything at all is a little rough - either pay $570 per person or go hungry! Hopefully we can have a late lunch and that will carry us over. I did reply asking what time lunch service would stop, as his email suggests there would be no food at all for the entire day, which can't be right.

I can't believe I'm asking this, but - is it OK to bring a couple of, say, Cup of Noodles, so we CAN eat dinner? Nothing screams New Years's Eve / Anniversary romance like microwaved / boiled water noodles on the beach...but this is a matter of principle for me. $1400 for a glorified buffet as non-drinkers who simply want to enjoy our privacy on our special day is just ludicrous.
Of course you can bring noodles etc. I am surprised, that they even close down room service as other PHs do not do so on NYE, we used room service that evening at DXB,AUH and HAM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.