Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Grand Hyatt to open in the Bahamas

I'm betting Hyatt pulls out.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by techoin
earlier probably they were hoping baha mar will open soon and want the customers to come back so provided generous compensation...now it seems they do not care at all since no one knows when it will open
This is just plain UNFAIR! Though I am not personally impacted( my reservation was in August and Hyatt came through handsomely for us,giving us 20k points a night and offered to pay for our flight changes upto $350 a person).I was impressed by their generosity and the friendliness of the CSR who contacted me to deal with this issue.Why should the guests with Oct reservations be treated differently?By extending the same courtesy and compensation to all the other guests Hyatt will be living up to its prior reputation of excellence in service .

The blame for this fiasco may lie with the developers,contractors or the financiers,these are issues to be decided by others.But Hyatt has a direct responsibility towards its guests and they have come through for us,why discriminate against the unfortunate ones who have reservations for Oct - Jan???

I would like to point out the following to the Hyatt powers that be that decide these issues ,hoping that they would give some thought to the points raised and reconsider their decision to not offer compensation for cancelling Reservations post Oct.

1) It is just plain Unfair to treat guests differently for no fault of theirs.

2) Hyatt must have been aware of these issues for quite some time now,why did they not place a freeze on reservations when it was clear to them this fiasco was brewing and unlikely to be resolved anytime soon?They continued blithely taking reservations up until a week(?) or so ago.

3) Having so continued to take reservations,don't they feel that the holders of those deserve the same consideration that was extended to the rest of us who had bookings pre Oct?

4) By compensating the remaining guests Hyatt will be earning itself a whole lot of goodwill from disgruntled guests and the cost of doing so can hardly be significant compared to what they have already put in to this.

That's my two cents.
Here is hoping that all of you with upcoming reservations get some compensation or relocated.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:16 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Originally Posted by schilpa
This is just plain UNFAIR! Though I am not personally impacted( my reservation was in August and Hyatt came through handsomely for us,giving us 20k points a night and offered to pay for our flight changes upto $350 a person).I was impressed by their generosity and the friendliness of the CSR who contacted me to deal with this issue.Why should the guests with Oct reservations be treated differently?By extending the same courtesy and compensation to all the other guests Hyatt will be living up to its prior reputation of excellence in service .

The blame for this fiasco may lie with the developers,contractors or the financiers,these are issues to be decided by others.But Hyatt has a direct responsibility towards its guests and they have come through for us,why discriminate against the unfortunate ones who have reservations for Oct - Jan???

I would like to point out the following to the Hyatt powers that be that decide these issues ,hoping that they would give some thought to the points raised and reconsider their decision to not offer compensation for cancelling Reservations post Oct.

2) Hyatt must have been aware of these issues for quite some time now,why did they not place a freeze on reservations when it was clear to them this fiasco was brewing and unlikely to be resolved anytime soon?They continued blithely taking reservations up until a week(?) or so ago.

3) Having so continued to take reservations,don't they feel that the holders of those deserve the same consideration that was extended to the rest of us who had bookings pre Oct?

4) By compensating the remaining guests Hyatt will be earning itself a whole lot of goodwill from disgruntled guests and the cost of doing so can hardly be significant compared to what they have already put in to this.

That's my two cents.
Here is hoping that all of you with upcoming reservations get some compensation or relocated.
Check out the Hyatt Ziva Cabo Closed thread. Hyatt just canceled ALL our reservations for Aug 15th onward and are offering NO compensation for everyone who's vacations they have ruined.
This hotel was damaged in last year's hurricane and was being renovated. Hyatt announced the opening was July 15, then changed it to Aug 15 and just last week changed it to Sept 15.
Their excuse to not offer compensation is it was a natural disaster so no points compensation is awarded! That's crap. No one could make a reservation until after Hyatt announced the hotel was rebuilt and ready to open and then they opened up the reservation system. These aren't reservation from before the hurricane happened.
If Hyatt didn't properly inspect or time the construction they shouldn't have announced the opening date(s). That is Hyatt and whoever the person was on site fault for the giving wrong date and saying the hotel was ready to open, not the hurricane's fault. Hyatt won't even pay for airfare change fees if you were now able to go to a different location instead of Cabo ie Hyatt Ziva Puerta Vallarta, only if you were coming back to Cabo. Nightmare for us with vacations planned in Cabo.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by schilpa

That's my two cents.
Awful customer service change. Thought they handled delay very well until this change. I will never reserve a new hyatt hotel in advance if this is how they will handle delayed openings.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
I have been in Nassau this week and I am afraid this is getting very messy, and rather bitter. This week the Prime Minister of the Bahamas has been questioning the mental state of this Sarkis Izmirlian from Baha Mar and he in turn has been hitting out at the Government not paying the employees. In addition to this the Government have launched legal proceedings locally to seize back the land at Cable Beach that the resort is built on!. If this carries on the way it is it will be years before it is resolved, even though the headline yesterday had the PM saying he hoped it would be open by the winter. Good luck with that one...

The resort structures themselves look all but finished, externally at least. The only thing that clearly needs finishing off is a bit if landscaping around the buildings.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Bigshaker
Check out the Hyatt Ziva Cabo Closed thread. Hyatt just canceled ALL our reservations for Aug 15th onward and are offering NO compensation for everyone who's vacations they have ruined.
This hotel was damaged in last year's hurricane and was being renovated. Hyatt announced the opening was July 15, then changed it to Aug 15 and just last week changed it to Sept 15.
Their excuse to not offer compensation is it was a natural disaster so no points compensation is awarded! That's crap. No one could make a reservation until after Hyatt announced the hotel was rebuilt and ready to open and then they opened up the reservation system. These aren't reservation from before the hurricane happened.
If Hyatt didn't properly inspect or time the construction they shouldn't have announced the opening date(s). That is Hyatt and whoever the person was on site fault for the giving wrong date and saying the hotel was ready to open, not the hurricane's fault. Hyatt won't even pay for airfare change fees if you were now able to go to a different location instead of Cabo ie Hyatt Ziva Puerta Vallarta, only if you were coming back to Cabo. Nightmare for us with vacations planned in Cabo.

Unacceptable! What an appalling state of affairs.For Hyatt to deny you any relocation or compensation by claiming natural disaster exemption is conduct unworthy of their reputation.You have my sympathy.I was much tempted by the pics of the Ziva los cabos,and had planned to book a labour day vacation there,but caution engendered by last years Rose hall fiasco held me back.

I am aware of the hurricane damages at Los Cabos,but that was a while ago and
this was supposedly the REopening of Ziva at Cabo POST repairing the hurricane damage.Natural causes/act of God cover events like hurricanes,tsunamis,earthquakes BUT they cannot either in fairness or law claim any such thing as they announced an opening date and started booking rooms much AFTER the event,so any commitment or reservation accepted on their part should already have factored in the effects of the hurricane and how long it would take to repair.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by shaker58
Awful customer service change. Thought they handled delay very well until this change. I will never reserve a new hyatt hotel in advance if this is how they will handle delayed openings.
Absolutely!
I too am considering moving my upcoming reservations this year from Hyatt to Spg,at least for vacation stays.I was so excited when they entered the AI market,thinking they would bring their high standards to it and was one of the first guests at Ziva Rose Hall( and we all know how charming that was,don't we).
But they handled that fairly well and the staff on site were so friendly and eager to please that I overlooked all the niggling details like exploding bulbs,5 hour check ins,key cards that don't work,palms crashing down 3 ft from our breakfast table etc. etc.
Then this mess here in the Bahamas which they had handled very well thus far,but seem to be dropping the ball in now
As for Cabo,those folk with reservations have cause to be truly disillusioned.

Hyatt,your service set a standard for all others to aim at,What gives with the New Cheeseparing ways?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:02 am

Oh and a Hyatt CSR on the phone today says that the baha mar opening date remains at sep 8th as far as they knew and the hotel certainly plans on bring open to welcome guests then.
Could Hyatt PLEASE send out an email to all its CSR's and update them as to the situation?For those who don't read FT and haven't had experience of these openings,receiving these false assurances can lead to having their vacation plans messed up at the last minute.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
...the joys of building in a third world country...
Old Jul 11, 2015, 2:10 pm

While I think Hyatt was overly generous with compensation previously, I think it's just wrong to not offer anything for bookings after October. I think a fair compensation from the very beginning was to provide a similar package as someone being walked to another hotel. The first night compensated and points for a future one night stay. Therefore, I think a fair compensation would have been 40,000 points, enough for a two nights stay for everyone. I do not expect Hyatt to give me 200,000 points for my 10 night booking but do hope they don't just say go screw yourself and we're simply canceling your reservation.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by babypuwet
While I think Hyatt was overly generous with compensation previously, I think it's just wrong to not offer anything for bookings after October. I think a fair compensation from the very beginning was to provide a similar package as someone being walked to another hotel. The first night compensated and points for a future one night stay. Therefore, I think a fair compensation would have been 40,000 points, enough for a two nights stay for everyone. I do not expect Hyatt to give me 200,000 points for my 10 night booking but do hope they don't just say go screw yourself and we're simply canceling your reservation.
The only reason I kept my reservation with the delays was because Hyatt was standing behind it and offering compensation if they didn't open. If I knew that this was the way they were handling the delayed openingcancelations I would've cancelled and booked somewhere else.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, RC Gold
Well....crap. We have reservations in December. I sincerely hope that they give the October and beyond reservation holders the same compensation as the other previous posters. I haven't cancelled yet or been contacted- I've been reading the changing news updates and just hoping it all works out soon. What a mess.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:29 am

Same boat as you - Have reservations over the Thanksgiving Holiday - next to impossible to make alternate arrangements without crazy airfare prices...

I dont believe there is any chance this resort will be open this year - And would love to start looking for other airfare/plans but dont want to cancel anything until Hyatt tells me so...

Originally Posted by Raleighkmt
Well....crap. We have reservations in December. I sincerely hope that they give the October and beyond reservation holders the same compensation as the other previous posters. I haven't cancelled yet or been contacted- I've been reading the changing news updates and just hoping it all works out soon. What a mess.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Will this may sound obvious to some, if you have purchased your flights why don't you just stay at another hotel in the Bahamas? It's not like Hyatt is the only major chain there.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:08 pm

just got the email from hyatt for cancellation of my october reservation. They offered $300 per person for flight cancellations but nothing in terms of points compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.