Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:52 am

If you do not need any flight money reimbursed, I would try to get points out of them for canceling instead, they do not know if you have flights booked or not...
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by thebill0322
If you do not need any flight money reimbursed, I would try to get points out of them for canceling instead, they do not know if you have flights booked or not...
Did you not read the posts just three above yours?

Or the numerous other posts on this very topic?

or the numerous other posts on the Cabo thread?

What in the heck is up with all the non-readers on this forum lately?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
There is hope! I received 20k point per night bonus for my reservation in October. I explained my cicumstances, quantified the cost, and offered HGP a couple of options.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Choice Plat
Originally Posted by Gold_Member
There is hope! I received 20k point per night bonus for my reservation in October. I explained my cicumstances, quantified the cost, and offered HGP a couple of options.
good to hear..was there lot of resistance ? whom did you talk to?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Originally Posted by techoin
good to hear..was there lot of resistance ? whom did you talk to?
Initially I got the same response as everyone else is getting. Unhappy with this outcome, I simply wrote back to HGP explaining my circumstances and seeking further escalation.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gold_Member
I think you happened to get very lucky (fortunate for you, unfortunate for the rest of us). I just contacted HGP with (in my humble opinion) a well-thought out case for my situation, and was told by a very kind, understanding rep that management was simply standing very firm on this issue due to the bankruptcy. She told me this after putting me on hold and speaking to her manager for well over 10 minutes. She said she could certainly sympathize with my (our) situation, but at this time there's nothing that can be done. She agreed to escalate my case to a Service Team Manager, who she said would contact me before the end of the day, but I don't have much hope at this point.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, RC Gold
Hello,

I got a cancellation email about our December trip. I called Hyatt and was also told that since they filed for bankruptcy, no additional points/compensation could be offered.
I paid for one night with my Hyatt CC free anniversary night and have spoken to now 3 customer reps. I requested an extension on my free night expiration date and have been told
1. no
2. extension of 30 days or 10,000 points but wait for an email from customer service (which said nothing about the 10,000 points)
3. no points but 6 month extension on free anniversary night expiration date.

I just want to take my 10,000 points and run. I'm waiting for yet another call back. The reps have been friendly but I would appreciate a concrete answer.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raleighkmt
Hello,

I got a cancellation email about our December trip. I called Hyatt and was also told that since they filed for bankruptcy, no additional points/compensation could be offered.
I paid for one night with my Hyatt CC free anniversary night and have spoken to now 3 customer reps. I requested an extension on my free night expiration date and have been told
1. no
2. extension of 30 days or 10,000 points but wait for an email from customer service (which said nothing about the 10,000 points)
3. no points but 6 month extension on free anniversary night expiration date.

I just want to take my 10,000 points and run. I'm waiting for yet another call back. The reps have been friendly but I would appreciate a concrete answer.
although I have no skin in this game, I think your 1st sentence sums it all up.Those who were suppose to stay but got the CX before the Hotel went offically belly-up were offered options for compensation, since the hotel merely pushed off its opening date. Once the owners went belly-up anyone getting the cx henceforth are SOL compensation wise, except for the $300 tkt fees and getting whatever it was they were using to pay for the Stay back be it Pts, free night certs or $$

Pushing off the opening the Hotel and owners were still on the hook, once they went belly-up they no longer are on the hook . Now should Hyatt Corp be on the hook can be debated but since Hyatt never had its team working at the hotel, Id say they get a pass, had the hotel even been open for just 1 day then it would be different
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, RC Gold
Update: Rep called me back, got my 10,000 points in lieu of free anniversary night certificate. And yes, I'm aware that the value of the certificate is 15,000 points but I'm just happy to have some points instead of a free night that limits me to Category 4 hotels and below...
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Raleighkmt
Update: Rep called me back, got my 10,000 points in lieu of free anniversary night certificate. And yes, I'm aware that the value of the certificate is 15,000 points but I'm just happy to have some points instead of a free night that limits me to Category 4 hotels and below...
^ Cat 4 Hyatt hotels are getting almost as hard to find as an acceptable Cat 5 Marriott. I booked my last free night with the San Fran HR. My litmus test is NYC hotels.
Try and find a Cat 5 Marriott near NYC. I've stayed at the Ren Meadowlands and it was a decent hotel, but not very close to quick transportation into NYC.
For Hyatt, you've got HR Jersey City where you're right by the PATH to NYC.
Still, neither are in the city which makes them less desirable.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by craz
Pushing off the opening the Hotel and owners were still on the hook, once they went belly-up they no longer are on the hook.
I'm sure there are many people out there - particularly vendors and contractors - who are going to make out much worse than the people complaining in this thread. That's the nature of bankruptcy . . . it wipes out most of the debtor's obligations, leaving creditors high and dry.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm sure there are many people out there - particularly vendors and contractors - who are going to make out much worse than the people complaining in this thread. That's the nature of bankruptcy . . . it wipes out most of the debtor's obligations, leaving creditors high and dry.
thats true for here in the US of A, but it may not be the case in the Bahamas, which is under British rule (not sure if its a colony or just part of The Commonwealth). But either way our laws probably arent their laws
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by craz
thats true for here in the US of A, but it may not be the case in the Bahamas, which is under British rule (not sure if its a colony or just part of The Commonwealth). But either way our laws probably arent their laws
A timely comment . . . Apparently Bahamas court refused to recognize the US Bankruptcy filing (unclear whether the filing will effectively block those creditors subject to jurisdiction of the US bankruptcy court, since they might be held to be violating the automatic stay if they don't respect it). This is going to be messy.

Bahamas Resort Bankruptcy
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
A timely comment . . . Apparently Bahamas court refused to recognize the US Bankruptcy filing (unclear whether the filing will effectively block those creditors subject to jurisdiction of the US bankruptcy court, since they might be held to be violating the automatic stay if they don't respect it). This is going to be messy.

Bahamas Resort Bankruptcy
Just a lucky guess on my part. Its like when I read about those US citizens arrested outside the US and insist that they have the right to make 1 phone call or to have an attorney present etc etc that may be true if they were in the US but if you're outside the US ours laws and the laws where they are most likley arent the same. Innocent until proven guilty might be Guilty until you prove yourself innocent

Looks like the owners thought theyd be able to rid themselves of all the debt and be left with everything for themselves.Now it seems they might be the ones holding empty hands as it seems the Govt is determined to get the hotel finished and up and running.

US law is great when you're in The US, but helps little when you arent
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
This is getting extremely messy; throwing out the Delaware Chap 11 filing means no bridge loan. More background: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/22/bu...ware.html?_r=0

How long before the Bahamian government steps in and takes possession of the property and gets it opened? I think that's the best chance of getting this property opened at this point. http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...e-over-project

I'll add a word of caution for anyone still holding reservations here. IF the government takes over the project, I would expect them to open the resort as quickly as possible, no matter the state of the property (ie construction not complete). I'm sure that the Bahamas views this project as a huge revenue generator. While that's good for the government, I don't think that it will be the most pleasant of vacations for the first guests at the property.

Your shower doesn't work? We'll put it on our punch list. No, there are no other available rooms with functional showers, sorry. (An extreme example, but this has the potential to be ranked as 'worst vacation evah' for the first guests there).

The only thing missing here is a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane directly hitting Nassau. ... but it's still early in the hurricane season ... Here's a Cat 3 from 4 years ago:
(Part I's not worth watching)

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...ion_Reputation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.