Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
This version of the Hyatt card (with its 2 free nights offer) has been discontinued as of June 29, 2017.

There is a new version.

See this thread
:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ed-2018-a.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

What are the benefits of the card?
  • 3 points/dollar spent at Hyatt
  • 2 points per dollar spent at restaurants, airfare, car rental
  • 1 point for all other charges
  • No foreign exchange fee
  • Annually, on renewal, one free night at up to a category 4 hotel and is valid for 12 months
When will I receive the sign up bonus?
Typically a day or two after the close of the billing cycle in which you reach spend threshold.
When do the signup points from this card offer expire?
If you have no activity on your Hyatt account for 24 months your points will expire.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.
It's a Chase Card. Does that mean that if I have more than 5 new open lines of credit in 24 months, I will be automatically denied?
This card is not currently under the 5 cards in 24 months Chase application restriction.
It looks like the Hyatt website will let me use my anniversary category 1-4 cert for any property, including those above category 4. Is this for real?
No. Even if the system accepts your attempted reservation, the property will not honor the cert at check-in. Accept the fact that your cat 4 cert is just that.
Can I use my anniversary category 1-4 cert at a higher-category property with a cash co-pay? By paying the difference in points? By asking nicely?
No. No. No.
Can I use my annual free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused points or annual free-night certificate?
No. Unused points already in your Hyatt account as well as the annual free-night award remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.

Questions related to the (now expired) 2 Free Night card offer:

When do the signup bonus free-night awards for this card expire?
The awards expire one year from the date of deposit (typically the date on which the required spend is met, which may fall in the middle of a billing cycle). All stays must be completed by the expiration date.
When I view my free-night awards, why is the button to start the redemption/booking process missing?
You no longer need to go through the My Awards page to book a free-night cert. Simply start the booking process as if requesting an award stay using points.
When I try to book a multiple-night award stay, why does the Hyatt website show availability for points redemptions but not for Free Night Awards?
You will need to redeem the free-night certs one at a time in separate single-night reservations if you want to do it online. For example, if you want to book the Park Hyatt Sydney for December 14-16, you will book the night of the 14th to 15th as one stay, and then repeat the process for the night of the 15th to 16th. Otherwise, call Hyatt to make the booking.
If I can't use my free-night award by the expiration date, can I exchange it for points or get the expiration extended?
According to the FT Hyatt GP Concierge, as of January 22, 2016, there are 2 options for compensation for the initial (all-category) Free Night Awards:
  • Platinum guests: Hyatt offers 10,000 points per Award if the Member has had 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in the previous 12 months. The 10,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
  • Diamond guests: Hyatt offers 20,000 points per Award if the Member has achieved Diamond status by achieving 25 stays or 50 nights or completing a trial tier offer within the last 12 months. The 20,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
These policies will reportedly remain in effect after the March 1, 2017 transition from Hyatt Gold Passport to the new World of Hyatt program.

Anniversary Awards valid in Category 1-4 hotels are not eligible for extension. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which allowed a one-time 30-day extension.)
Can I use the sign-up free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused free-night certificates?
No. Unused free-night awards remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.
Print Wikipost

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Does anybody know if I still get the same sign-up perks (2 free nights) if I convert an existing Chase card for thsi one? or do I need to apply from scratch?
I was informed that my previous Freedom card could be used in lieu of opening a new card. I asked about the promo benefits and was informed it would be intact. The person I spoke with was from the credit department.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Marriott Lifetime Silver; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond
I too transferred a balance from an existing Chase card... my award nights and suite upgrades appeared within a few days after my first usage. I've gone ahead and booked two nights at the Park Hyatt Sydney to refresh after a three week tour. woohoo!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:34 pm

chase bonus nights

mrs ddfr and I are planning a free vacation...1/2 will be on points in a Suite while the other 1/2 will be using free nights earned by this card. Since we are not Diamond members, people here have reminded me that we are only entitled to a reg room for the credit card nights.

My question is that,we would obviously prefer to remain in a suite for the entire trip. How should I set up the reservation---right now its all under points, though I don't think we will have enough and therefore need the cards nights for the trip to be free.

At what point do I need to say to GP look its going o be a 1/2 on points in a Suite and 1/2 via the rewards nights from this card....or could I wait until to check in to face this issue and see if they opt to just leave us in a suite rather than move our room during the stay.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:59 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ddfr
mrs ddfr and I are planning a free vacation...1/2 will be on points in a Suite while the other 1/2 will be using free nights earned by this card. Since we are not Diamond members, people here have reminded me that we are only entitled to a reg room for the credit card nights.

My question is that,we would obviously prefer to remain in a suite for the entire trip. How should I set up the reservation---right now its all under points, though I don't think we will have enough and therefore need the cards nights for the trip to be free.

At what point do I need to say to GP look its going o be a 1/2 on points in a Suite and 1/2 via the rewards nights from this card....or could I wait until to check in to face this issue and see if they opt to just leave us in a suite rather than move our room during the stay.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.
Please take these words in the (kind) spirit in which they're intended. Gold Passport is not going to magically upgrade your credit card "base room" nights to suite nights just because you're bolting 2 redemptive suite nights onto one end. You should make sure to keep your expectations aligned with what you're reserving and Hyatt confirms for you.

Your only leeway is really with the property itself. Given that you are not Diamond, I would suggest arranging the reservation such that the confirmed nights in a suite are at the beginning of your stay. Then, at checkin, you might politely ask if there is any way you can stay in your assigned room for the duration of your stay. If it's not a resort property and/or they're not at capacity, they may be able to meet your request. You might mention that you're willing to take a room for your whole stay that doesn't match your specified bed configuration or is facing a non-preferred direction. Be polite and realize that you're asking for a space-available upgrade from a base room to a suite (normally not even a benefit for Diamond members) for free.

If you're visiting the property during peak season or if it's a highly sought-after location, consider that the suites may already be blocked for other paying guests. The property is more likely to upgrade a profitable paying customer, VIP's, or Diamond members than an infrequent guest whose stay is being funded by HGP at cost.

Although Hyatt is eager to please, above all, make sure to keep your expectations in line with what your confirmed reservations indicate. That way you don't end up disappointed no matter what room(s) you receive.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:55 am

Bump

Originally Posted by screwedbyaa
Do you know if the card gives permanent Platinum status? I'm Platinum right now and know that if I apply I'll fall into the second category that you mentioned above, but will my Platinum status remain next year even if I don't requalify? Thanks.
I do not believe that this question has been answered. It is a question I have as well. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:22 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by screwedbyaa
Do you know if the card gives permanent Platinum status? I'm Platinum right now and know that if I apply I'll fall into the second category that you mentioned above, but will my Platinum status remain next year even if I don't requalify? Thanks.
As long as you keep the Hyatt Card active, you will receive Platinum status in the Hyatt Gold Passport program.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
As long as you keep the Hyatt Card active, you will receive Platinum status in the Hyatt Gold Passport program.
This is nice for folks who won't otherwise make Platinum.

I'd really like to see more Diamond specific benefits though to reward the top elites.... At a minimum having the two free suite nights be a yearly benefit.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:18 am

Got my award nights deposited into my account about 8 days after I first used the card. Last night I redeemed them for 2 nights at the Park Hyatt Tokyo next August, even though when you check online to purchase the rooms, the hotel is claiming no availability. It always pays to make a call and ask!!!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by ainternational

I'd really like to see more Diamond specific benefits though to reward the top elites.... At a minimum having the two free suite nights be a yearly benefit.
I'd settle for one. Until then I'm not applying. My chase marriott and chase priority club cards give me a free night every year.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:16 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
I took my awards as part of a 4 night stay.
Although to property attempted to accommodate my request as a Diamond, I needed to switch rooms.

If you plan on needing to move, you may find yourself surprised. If you pin your hopes on not moving, you will could likely be disappointed.

-Scho
Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ainternational

Instead of making cardholders Platinum, I'd think it would be more fair to offer a certain number of stays/nights similar to the recently introduced new SPG Amex feature. That way those who qualify for Platinum anyway get a benefit, too (easier path to Diamond). I do realize that doesn't do anything for those who reach Diamond on their own.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by travelismylife
I'd settle for one. Until then I'm not applying. My chase marriott and chase priority club cards give me a free night every year.
This.

I would have applied in a second if there was a yearly benefit. But to charge $75 for the card just doesnt make sense to me. The SPG card, for a lower fee, offers a lot more.

I'd rather they even raise the fee to $100/year, and give 2 nights free in any hotel, and if they want to make it "tougher" a minimum spend of $25k/year for the 2 nights free annually.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by rajuabju

I'd rather they even raise the fee to $100/year, and give 2 nights free in any hotel, and if they want to make it "tougher" a minimum spend of $25k/year for the 2 nights free annually.
$25K x 3 points at Hyatt = 75K points = 15 nights (category 1).
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by agrater
$25K x 3 points at Hyatt = 75K points = 15 nights (category 1).
Yeah, sorry, I am not going to spend $25K a year at Hyatt properties
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Yeah, sorry, I am not going to spend $25K a year at Hyatt properties
Maybe Pat will adopt you.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.