Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Great 10k (9/15 - 12/15/10) - 10K bonus points after every 5 Nights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Great 10k (9/15 - 12/15/10) - 10K bonus points after every 5 Nights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by nnn
Maybe promos like BWB were getting too expensive for Hyatt. I would guess people doing things like translating two $60 Hyatt Place nights into a Venodome night takes its toll on the bottom line. And with the other chains' weak promos, if business is improving for Hyatt, maybe it decided to try a weaker promo.
Not really true - I doubt the FFN MR'ers would have been spending cash at those types of properties , so no lost revs , and Hyatt limits FFN/points inventory - those rooms are likely to be fully booked anyhow

The only hit Hyatt takes is on balance sheet 'value' of GP points that are a liability sitting around longer. and on the few times that a FFN stay has displaced a different revenue stay (e.g. you did a FFN vacation in Hawaii instead of a paid (or points) vacation in San Diego)
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by nnn
Maybe promos like BWB were getting too expensive for Hyatt. I would guess people doing things like translating two $60 Hyatt Place nights into a Venodome night takes its toll on the bottom line. And with the other chains' weak promos, if business is improving for Hyatt, maybe it decided to try a weaker promo.
@:-)@:-)@:-)@:-)@:-)@:-)@:-)
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by stinkycop
Not liking this at all. This is nothing more than a glorified G bonus of 2k per stay. Maybe Hyatt should have at least linked it with double stays towards elite levels.
Yes, double stay credit. More elites. More costs.

This isn't an all you can eat buffet. You can't keep saying "more more more more".

Well, I lied, actually you can. And then it gets to the point where the quest for more more more more causes a financial hardship and things have to get cut. Eventually everything has a cost and if Hyatt can't bring in a significant revenue increase... and KEEP that increase, it's not going to stay around.

FTers here for the FFN bennies only who are going to take their toys and go home because there isn't another FFN are the type of travelers Hyatt can afford to lose.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Yes, double stay credit. More elites. More costs.

This isn't an all you can eat buffet. You can't keep saying "more more more more".

Well, I lied, actually you can. And then it gets to the point where the quest for more more more more causes a financial hardship and things have to get cut. Eventually everything has a cost and if Hyatt can't bring in a significant revenue increase... and KEEP that increase, it's not going to stay around.

FTers here for the FFN bennies only who are going to take their toys and go home because there isn't another FFN are the type of travelers Hyatt can afford to lose.
Well said.

Please bear in mind that Gold Passport has already had a double stay promo this year (January) and ran a fast-track to Diamond promotion for a good portion of the spring. It isn't clear to me that running such a promotion for any longer period of time than that promotes any loyalty to the program.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:41 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by 4aks
Not really true - I doubt the FFN MR'ers would have been spending cash at those types of properties , so no lost revs , and Hyatt limits FFN/points inventory - those rooms are likely to be fully booked anyhow
I have to disagree. It is hard to believe that Hyatt (the corporation) would not lose a considerable amount of money from a 2-night Hyatt Placer earning and using a free night at the Venodome. To convince me otherwise, you will have to break down (1) how much money Hyatt (the corporation) earns from the two paid nights at the HP, and (2) how much money Hyatt (the corporation) must pay the Venodome for the free night. Unless you have actual data otherwise, I have to believe that (2) >> (1).

The only hit Hyatt takes is on balance sheet 'value' of GP points that are a liability sitting around longer.
Not really. FFN potentially gives someone far more value in free nights than the same person might have in his or her GP account.

and on the few times that a FFN stay has displaced a different revenue stay (e.g. you did a FFN vacation in Hawaii instead of a paid (or points) vacation in San Diego)
Actually, this situation presents a double-hit to Hyatt. Not only does it have to pay the Hawaiian hotel for the FFN nights, but it also fails to receive revenue from the San Diego paid nights.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
This promotion would be less disappointing if Hyatt had been able to be more flexible regarding the expiration date of the BWB nights -- if I had been able to extend those nights for use this fall, rather than simply convert them to points, I'd be more enthusiastic about a new promotion to pad my points total.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:55 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Well put me in the disappointed crowd - perhaps a FFN type promotion is still in the works
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Every 5 stays = 10,000 bonus points. It will take over 10 stays just to get enough bonus points to cover a stay at a Park Hyatt, I think I'll pass. I"m at 60 stays this year, time to cut back and save $$ for 2011.

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Aug 24, 2010 at 4:04 pm
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by peteropny
Well put me in the disappointed crowd - perhaps a FFN type promotion is still in the works
We can only hope.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Shareholder
And here we thought this was a LOYALTY program...how naive.
And there I thought it was a combination charity/free-stuff-give-away program.

Originally Posted by Trustguy
Please bear in mind that Gold Passport has already had a double stay promo this year (January) and ran a fast-track to Diamond promotion for a good portion of the spring. It isn't clear to me that running such a promotion for any longer period of time than that promotes any loyalty to the program.
And I benefited from both an am now a Diamond. And I'd be stupid if I now filed away my shiny new Diamond card and spent my money at SPG (where I am a nobody) or at Hilton (where I am a Gold with no chance of renewal).

Sure, it would be nice to get more free stuff, but ultimately Hyatt is a business, not a charity for FTers.

Originally Posted by peteropny
Look at the bright side: maybe the irrational exuberance will die down and it will become more peaceful and quiet here, making your moderator job a bit easier.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: HH Dia, WOH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plt
As I sit writing this post, I am looking out the window of the Park Hyatt Chicago (FFN stay)... fantastic water tower view... blue waters of lake Michigan in the background. And I think how fortunate I was that Hyatt matched my Hilton Diamond status last year, and how fortunate I was that Hyatt promotions let me earn free nights at the PH Tokyo, GH Tokyo, GH Beijing, PH Chicago, etc. And all those great free breakfasts and the fantastic sushi at the lounge in Singapore, and the "Lost in Translation" experience at the New York Bar. Let's face it, I'm a Hampton Inn/Hyatt Place kind of guy. I don't normally live it up like this!

And I think how fortunate Hyatt was that I shifted much of my road warrior calendar over from Hilton. That I sought out the Hyatt Places and Regencies and when they weren't so convenient, that I occasionally brought others into the Hyatt fold when a shared rental car made it the easier option. That I put in over 30 stays with Hyatt and, other than putting up with me checking in and out a lot, I was a pretty fun and simple guest to deal with.

Yeah, I would have liked more FFNs. And Hyatt would have liked the extra stays they would have earned from me. But... me and Hyatt are OK. Still my favorite "fancy" chain. And Hyatt Place is a fave of mine in that price point. They just don't need me as much anymore. And I don't need them as much either, I guess. I'll try my best to keep Hyatt Diamond because I like the perks and I like the chain, but if I am unable to do that, I guess we'll just muddle on until the FFN spark is rekindled, or we go our separate ways. I'm seeing other hotels, you see. And Hyatt seems to have it's eye on someone else as well... wears a suit, drives a BMW. Well... we'll always have Tokyo

(wish I could say Paris, but I couldn't get the Vendome to work out....)
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Originally Posted by MarriottHotelsFan
Theres 90 days in the promo... 90/5=18*10,000= 180,000.
So the theoretical maximum is 10 free nights at most Park Hyatt properties; 8 free nights at the premium ones.

Among those who are disappointed are business travelers who were not gaming the system, but have a 2-3 night trip each week in which they stay at a premium Hyatt property, and hope to earn free nights to take their spouse to a similar property.

Rounding off to twelve weeks, under past FFN promotions, they'd earn an FFN every other week, totaling 6 nights useable at any of these hotels. Under the great 10K, they complete 5 nights every two weeks, for 60,000 bonus points. But that's good for only 3 nights in a category 5, and not-quite 3 nights in a category 6.

It's a nice reward, but it's not the over-the-top treat that has converted so many of us to being Hyatt loyalists.

That said, one promo a year like FFN/BWB is still terrific -- I just wish it had been a fall/winter promo rather than a spring/summer one. I'm sure there are others who feel differently -- and variety is a good thing.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by Alumino
As I sit writing this post, I am looking out the window of the Park Hyatt Chicago (FFN stay)... fantastic water tower view... blue waters of lake Michigan in the background. And I think how fortunate I was that Hyatt matched my Hilton Diamond status last year, and how fortunate I was that Hyatt promotions let me earn free nights at the PH Tokyo, GH Tokyo, GH Beijing, PH Chicago, etc. And all those great free breakfasts and the fantastic sushi at the lounge in Singapore, and the "Lost in Translation" experience at the New York Bar. Let's face it, I'm a Hampton Inn/Hyatt Place kind of guy. I don't normally live it up like this!

And I think how fortunate Hyatt was that I shifted much of my road warrior calendar over from Hilton. That I sought out the Hyatt Places and Regencies and when they weren't so convenient, that I occasionally brought others into the Hyatt fold when a shared rental car made it the easier option. That I put in over 30 stays with Hyatt and, other than putting up with me checking in and out a lot, I was a pretty fun and simple guest to deal with.

Yeah, I would have liked more FFNs. And Hyatt would have liked the extra stays they would have earned from me. But... me and Hyatt are OK. Still my favorite "fancy" chain. And Hyatt Place is a fave of mine in that price point. They just don't need me as much anymore. And I don't need them as much either, I guess. I'll try my best to keep Hyatt Diamond because I like the perks and I like the chain, but if I am unable to do that, I guess we'll just muddle on until the FFN spark is rekindled, or we go our separate ways. I'm seeing other hotels, you see. And Hyatt seems to have it's eye on someone else as well... wears a suit, drives a BMW. Well... we'll always have Tokyo

(wish I could say Paris, but I couldn't get the Vendome to work out....)
i am currently at PHC also... PM if you want to meet up for a drink. have dinner reservations tonight at 8...should be back by 10:30
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA-1K; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Shareholder
And here we thought this was a LOYALTY program...how naive.
This is a silly comment. As a Diamond with over 40 nights at Hyatt properties this year I have been more than loyal to Hyatt. I don't owe Hyatt anything, nor does Hyatt owe me anything. This is a free marketplace and consumers are free to make choices based upon the value they get for their $$. If I can earn free nights staying at Marriott properties this fall why wouldn't I take advantage of that when Hyatt's offer isn't anywhere near as generous? Choice is a wonderful thing, that is how the marketplace works.

By the way, I notice that your profile says that you have SPGGold status, using your own logic are you disloyal to Hyatt when you do your SPG stays? Are you disloyal to SPG when you do your Hyatt stays?

Last edited by IAD Guy; Aug 24, 2010 at 5:01 pm
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:44 pm

this is a good promo! Thanks hyatt.

For those of you who are switching your stays because you are disappointed with the promo, you are not really loyal to Hyatt.

The promos are meant to breed loyalty - which they often do successfully - but you cant expect every promo to be an FFN. One or two such promos a year is plenty.

Thanks Hyatt!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.