Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Seems that the games they were playing on reward stays have ceased or maybe I just lucked out.
I wish that were the case. But I'm not seeing availability for any weekend in August, September or October. Plenty of rooms for sale with various "views" though.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:57 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Miraval Resorts & Spas Announces Plans to Expand The Miraval Life in Balance Spa Experience to Park Hyatt Aviara

CHICAGO (August 12, 2022)Miraval Resorts & Spas, a global leader for wellness destinations, plans to bring its world-renowned Miraval Life in Balance Spa concept to Southern California at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort in early 2023. The Miraval Life in Balance Spa at Park Hyatt Aviara offers a personalized approach to wellness, where the power of energy and physical touch guide guests to consciously explore the connection of body, mind, and spirit. The joining of the Park Hyatt Aviara and Miraval Life in Balance Spa marks the culmination of a $60 million dollar resort-wide renovation that includes the design of the new Life in Balance Spa, built with intention to awaken the senses and serve as a catalyst for change. The new Miraval Life in Balance Spa will encourage wellness and balance through mindfulness featuring innovative and treasured Miraval spa treatments, fitness and yoga classes.

“The world needs wellbeing now more than ever, making this the perfect time to expand the Miraval Resorts & Spas portfolio, beginning with the opening of the Miraval Life in Balance Spa at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort,” said Susan Santiago, head of Miraval resorts. “Our Life in Balance Spa experiences create a sanctuary for guests to pause, rejuvenate, and reflect as they find balance in their lives.”

Full press release: https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-releases?item=124275
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:36 pm

Does anyone know whether Hyatt properties receive higher compensation for Suites when a TSU is used vs. giving a Globalist a suite upgrade at check-in? The welcome email I received had this statement: "As suites are often fully committed on the day of arrival, we encourage use of a Suite Night Award to ensure suite availability if desired." A follow-up email further urged me to use a "Suite Night Award." The property is showing rooms and suites of all types for the duration of our stay, so I'm thinking occupancy will be relatively low and the likelihood of some type of upgrade is high. I'm wondering about the comparative views and think we might enjoy a "coastal view." While the Premium Coastal View Suite would be ideal, the "standard" suites have only the courtyard or pool view, so I have to temper my expectations. Given the choice, would a Courtyard or Pool Suite be better than a Coastal View King?
Old Aug 14, 2022, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by DealDetective
Does anyone know whether Hyatt properties receive higher compensation for Suites when a TSU is used vs. giving a Globalist a suite upgrade at check-in? The welcome email I received had this statement: "As suites are often fully committed on the day of arrival, we encourage use of a Suite Night Award to ensure suite availability if desired." A follow-up email further urged me to use a "Suite Night Award." The property is showing rooms and suites of all types for the duration of our stay, so I'm thinking occupancy will be relatively low and the likelihood of some type of upgrade is high. I'm wondering about the comparative views and think we might enjoy a "coastal view." While the Premium Coastal View Suite would be ideal, the "standard" suites have only the courtyard or pool view, so I have to temper my expectations. Given the choice, would a Courtyard or Pool Suite be better than a Coastal View King?
If you use a TSU, they get $40 a night from Hyatt.

If they upgrade you, they get nothing.

Of course, attempting to use your Bonvoy Suite Night Award isn’t going to go far with the World of Hyatt call center - I’m amazed the property still hasn’t realized they aren’t called that!

Last edited by drnilescrane; Aug 14, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:12 pm

Coastal View room

Originally Posted by AllThePants
The property (management) seems to actively be against granting Globalist upgrades. On check-in day I noticed a Standard Suite still available, so tried to call up to secure it after online check-in, but they insisted they were "fully allocated" despite my being able to book it in the Hyatt app. I didn't press it since I wasn't actually showing up until later in the day -- but did notice other Standard (Courtyard, Pool) Suites show up and disappear in-app throughout the day.

And when I politely mentioned that I could still -- as of that second -- still book much more desirable Pool or Courtyard View rooms on the Hyatt App -- was just deflected with a "your room is a very nice quiet part of the property" statement.

Chatting with the bartender later in the evening, I figured out the calculus: apparently on a three-day summer holiday weekend at the Aviara most of the clientele is local (ie. SD-LA well-heeled) and much of them show up on Saturday through Monday. So my guess is the property was actively denying complimentary Globalist upgrades earlier in the weekend in hopes that they would get last-minute Revenue bookings for the back half of the weekend. Which makes sense from a business perspective --- upgrading me to a $1400/nt suite from my 20K points/nt room gets them nothing incrementally aside from unspoken goodwill. Not doing so probably eventually got them a lucrative revenue booking - even if it runs completely counter to their corporate/franchise obligations.
This was similar to our experience during a relatively slow period, not a 3 day holiday weekend. We thought we got lucky securing a 3 night award reservation for a Wed to Sat stay. Ten days before arrival, the hotel advised us that we should use a "Suite Night Award as suites are often fully committed on the day of arrival." As there was availability in all room and suite categories, we thought our upgrade chances were good without a TSU. The day we checked in, the app showed we were upgraded to a Coastal View room, even though they also showed Pool and Courtyard suites available for all 3 nights of our stay. Upon check-in, we asked if any suite upgrades were available and after considerable checking, were told there was just one Pool Suite on the first floor, but it would probably be very noisy for a couple celebrating an anniversary. When I mentioned the app still showed Courtyard Suite availability, they could not give me an explanation. We didn't press it because we thought a coastal view would be very nice. Unfortunately, the Coastal View room we were assigned just had a view of the houses on the bluff overlooking the golf course.

View from inside of Coastal View room
If you go out on the balcony, you could see the water in the distance on the far left.

View from balcony of Coastal View room (Note the water is only seen on the very far left. There is a thick layer of fog above.)
If I were paying over $1,000 per night for this room, I would have been livid, but since it was an upgrade over the base room on an award stay, we let it go. Interestingly, I checked room availability at 10 p.m. that night and even the next morning and they continued to show Courtyard Suite availability for our entire stay.

Our experience with other Globalist benefits was better. We were granted a 4 p.m. check-out, which allowed us to enjoy the pool and clean up before our late flight. The Globalist breakfast allows up to $120 in Ponto Lago, which would cover the buffet for 2 adults ($40 each) and 2 children ($20 each.) The credit could be used for any non-alcoholic menu items in addition to or instead of the buffet.
lechamber likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by DealDetective
This was similar to our experience during a relatively slow period, not a 3 day holiday weekend. We thought we got lucky securing a 3 night award reservation for a Wed to Sat stay. Ten days before arrival, the hotel advised us that we should use a "Suite Night Award as suites are often fully committed on the day of arrival." As there was availability in all room and suite categories, we thought our upgrade chances were good without a TSU. The day we checked in, the app showed we were upgraded to a Coastal View room, even though they also showed Pool and Courtyard suites available for all 3 nights of our stay. Upon check-in, we asked if any suite upgrades were available and after considerable checking, were told there was just one Pool Suite on the first floor, but it would probably be very noisy for a couple celebrating an anniversary. When I mentioned the app still showed Courtyard Suite availability, they could not give me an explanation. We didn't press it because we thought a coastal view would be very nice.
I'm not surprised they did this. I've seen this at other properties also, where a standard suite was available on the app for booking but front desk staff tried to give me the runaround about it not being eligible for upgrade for various BS reasons.

Properties will continue to do this if globalists don't force their hand and protest / utilize every resource available (concierge, phone line, twitter) to enforce the program rules. I get how some people are conflict-adverse, but this benefit is clearly spelled out. And at the Aviara in particular, the suites (I agree, Courtyard > Pool) are worth the upcharge in terms of extra space over the standard rooms (the Coastal View thing is baloney that they're using to take standard rooms off award inventory).

I had a recent similar experience to yours at a different property. If anything, I felt bad for the front desk receptionist -- they were clearly just following directives from the manager, who was in an office visible from the front desk. It felt like being at a car dealership; the receptionist had to go back and forth to the manager, until the manager finally gave up after seeing the long line of pissed off guests behind me who were waiting. In the end, I got what I asked for, but it made me feel dirty inside to go through all that hassle, and resentful of the property. I get how this is a business, and hotels have been going through a pandemic, and Hyatt Corporate probably made things 100x worse by minting a boatload of globalists last year; but this is also hospitality, and BS like this is the opposite of hospitable attitude when properties try to nickel and dime everything and play stupid games to avoid fulfilling their WOH program obligations.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by lechamber
I'm not surprised they did this. I've seen this at other properties also, where a standard suite was available on the app for booking but front desk staff tried to give me the runaround about it not being eligible for upgrade for various BS reasons.

Properties will continue to do this if globalists don't force their hand and protest / utilize every resource available (concierge, phone line, twitter) to enforce the program rules. I get how some people are conflict-adverse, but this benefit is clearly spelled out. And at the Aviara in particular, the suites (I agree, Courtyard > Pool) are worth the upcharge in terms of extra space over the standard rooms (the Coastal View thing is baloney that they're using to take standard rooms off award inventory).

I had a recent similar experience to yours at a different property. If anything, I felt bad for the front desk receptionist -- they were clearly just following directives from the manager, who was in an office visible from the front desk. It felt like being at a car dealership; the receptionist had to go back and forth to the manager, until the manager finally gave up after seeing the long line of pissed off guests behind me who were waiting. In the end, I got what I asked for, but it made me feel dirty inside to go through all that hassle, and resentful of the property. I get how this is a business, and hotels have been going through a pandemic, and Hyatt Corporate probably made things 100x worse by minting a boatload of globalists last year; but this is also hospitality, and BS like this is the opposite of hospitable attitude when properties try to nickel and dime everything and play stupid games to avoid fulfilling their WOH program obligations.
This was my experience exactly. Used car dealership shenanigans trying to secure any sort of room upgrade. That was over a year ago, and I escalated to corporate. But really unfortunate they're still doing this...
Old Oct 28, 2022, 3:58 pm

Does anyone know if parking and spa is free for globalist? And what’s the situation with breakfast on the weekend?

Any recommendation on food at the hotel?

Thank you
Old Oct 28, 2022, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by BeyondTalk
Does anyone know if parking and spa is free for globalist?
Parking is free if you are on an award stay. 😉 No discount on spa access for Globalist.

And what’s the situation with breakfast on the weekend?
Earlier this year it was buffet at Ponto Lago until 11am. I believe they have a la-carte options as well. On previous stays I've pushed management for flexibility in that regard - it feels like a waste having a buffet nobody is using when they could just set a fixed dollar amount you could use across room service, Ponto Largo or the Market.

Any recommendation on food at the hotel?
Ember and Rye is fantastic, though the change in concept from Argyle did come with a overwhelming price increase. Pacific Point is a sleeper hit, especially on live music nights. Ultimate hack is going to Seasons at the neighboring Four Seasons Residence Club - you can take the hotel shuttle down, and FS will drive you back. Great food at a reasonable price.
dpb132 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by drnilescrane
Parking is free if you are on an award stay. 😉 No discount on spa access for Globalist.
Thank you for the vast information. Was looking forward to use the sauna but not going to spend money just for it.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Gold, National EE
FYI, for those planning to stay here in the near future, I received an email from the hotel today regarding the spa:In anticipation of your upcoming reservation, I am reaching out to you with exciting news! Our 5-star luxury resort will continue our recent $50 million transformation journey with the immersion of Miraval Life in Balance Spa Aviara. The transformation includes a fully revitalized spa facility and a best-in-class fitness center. The spa will feature 21 indoor and outdoor treatment spaces where expert spa therapists will bring new balance to clients through Miraval signature treatments and wellness programming, grounded in holistic modalities from around the world, helping to soothe the mind and inspire the soul.

The transition is scheduled to take place from December 19th, 2022 in to spring of 2023. During this period, the resort will continue to offer spa services, a fitness center, and fitness services daily. Massage and Facials will be available in a new location away from construction. Wet facilities, such as indoor whirlpool, sauna and steam will not be available while the experience at the outdoor pool facilities or other grounds of the resort will not be affected. Please click the link below to review pricing and availability of services or contact Aviara Spa at 760.448.1234.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Gold, National EE
As an update to my previous post, I didn’t use the spa, but had a really nice stay here. The staff is top notch, but slightly below Four Seasons/other five star chain in terms of quality/proactiveness.

My mom had a king room while I had a two king room. My room on the second floor was directly below the restaurants, so I heard chairs moving basically throughout the day, which was slightly annoying. The room itself was spotless and large, and I’ve never had two king beds in a room before. The robes were insanely comfortable, and the Le Labo bath products are awesome. The tub was also nice and large. There’s a tea kettle AND coffee machine in the room, which is something I appreciated as a non-coffee drinker. The courtyard view was very nice and serene, although I’m not too picky about the view, and the hotel isn’t on the beach.

The valet was fast (although mandatory), there was rarely a wait for the front desk/concierge, and housekeeping was provided daily with daily turndown service if we wanted.

The adult pool was great and not crowded, although December is not the ideal time to sit by the pool. Regardless, it was around 70 degrees on a few days, so we took advantage. There weren’t many staff walking around to take food/drink orders, so I ordered at the bar, and they brought the food/drinks down to the adult pool. The drinks were great (although at resort prices), and the food was above-average pool food. They gave me the wrong order on the first day but quickly realized and remediated that.

In addition to the food misstep, the back half of the gym was completely dark the entire time I was there at night (the lights were oddly off), and the night manager couldn’t figure out how to turn them on. Additionally, I had to ask them to take off the gym clothes that were washed off of my bill (cleaning two pairs of gym clothes is included in the daily resort free).

I wouldn’t come here if you wanted to hang in/near San Diego itself, but it was the perfect resort getaway from LA. There are a ton of great restaurant options 10-25 minutes from the hotel—we never ate at the hotel aside from the pool food, so I can’t comment on the restaurants.

The hotel is an awesome use of points, although I probably wouldn’t pay $600+/night when there are other cheaper resort options in the area that offer relatively the same amenities, although the size of the rooms and service give the Park Hyatt the edge. Note that the gym is a bit outdated and they are offering “discounted” spa pricing (still around $150-200/treatment) as the auxiliary spa amenities are unavailable while they modernize the spa.
dpb132, fishy21 and svo242 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 11:50 am

It looks like the Globalist breakfast (in the prearrival email they sent) is now buffet only. Is that the case? If so - how's the buffet looking these days?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 12:44 pm

Just stayed over the long weekend, leaving on Tuesday. For Sunday and Monday (President's Day holiday) morning, there was both a buffet offering and an a la carte menu. For Tuesday morning, there was only the a la carte menu. The buffet spread is not large (especially compared to Asia), but very high quality. The pastries section is excellent; all versions of their croissants are fantastic. Some spread of fruit, smoked salmon, along with hot items such as oatmeal, bacon, sausage, premade omelet, a rotating pre-made pancakes/french toast/blintz plate, and a freshly made omelet station (they can also do fried egg variants). You can also order from the server if you want freshly made pancakes, which they'd bring to the table. Globalist breakfast allowance is $120 per room. Buffet is $40 per adult, $20 per child, which could include a standard coffee/juice drink, aka not an expresso or specialized jurice drink. The a la carte menu items topped out in the mid $20s, I believe, so you could order the specialized drink and stay with the $120 allowance easier if you are staying with kids (like we were). Was impressed and happy with the glob breakfast here.
TrojanDomer and RioAg like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kirk T
Just stayed over the long weekend, leaving on Tuesday. For Sunday and Monday (President's Day holiday) morning, there was both a buffet offering and an a la carte menu. For Tuesday morning, there was only the a la carte menu. The buffet spread is not large (especially compared to Asia), but very high quality. The pastries section is excellent; all versions of their croissants are fantastic. Some spread of fruit, smoked salmon, along with hot items such as oatmeal, bacon, sausage, premade omelet, a rotating pre-made pancakes/french toast/blintz plate, and a freshly made omelet station (they can also do fried egg variants). You can also order from the server if you want freshly made pancakes, which they'd bring to the table. Globalist breakfast allowance is $120 per room. Buffet is $40 per adult, $20 per child, which could include a standard coffee/juice drink, aka not an expresso or specialized jurice drink. The a la carte menu items topped out in the mid $20s, I believe, so you could order the specialized drink and stay with the $120 allowance easier if you are staying with kids (like we were). Was impressed and happy with the glob breakfast here.
I was there the same time as you, echo the same Globalist experience. I used a SUA for the pool suite and it was terrific. I left yesterday and there was a big influx of check ins on Wednesday night for a conference but the hotel remained on point with the additional guests. The valet team was particularly awesome. Just overall a great stay and hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.