Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:09 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Award availability on points - does it even EXIST???

Seems like a scam that every time I check for award avail on the most random off nights it’s NEVER avail.

anybody know the secret to getting a freaking award stay for the advertised 25,000 points at this place??

don’t want to do Avila for 30,000

thanks in advance
lowkeyflyer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 6:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Points availability is rare at this hotel. I’m not sure if that is the norm or if they just haven’t updated or released the rooms on points.

Using one of the hotel points search websites like MaxMyPoint or StayWithPoints shows 25k points only available for single nights on these dates:
December 1 2023
Jan 31 2024
Feb 11 & Feb 19 2024
Old Mar 11, 2023, 7:43 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Points availability is rare at this hotel. I’m not sure if that is the norm or if they just haven’t updated or released the rooms on points.

Using one of the hotel points search websites like MaxMyPoint or StayWithPoints shows 25k points only available for single nights on these dates:
December 1 2023
Jan 31 2024
Feb 11 & Feb 19 2024
I went on the points calendar early this year and got lucky. Off peak night in August! We live about 2 miles from Aviara so my wife and I will have a nice dinner and date night and a good pool day.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:55 am

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus

December 1 2023
Jan 31 2024
Feb 11 & Feb 19 2024
wow thanks for checking. That’s terrible and worse than bora bora. Worse I’ve seen for any hotel, actually.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by flymax77
wow thanks for checking. That’s terrible and worse than bora bora. Worse I’ve seen for any hotel, actually.
I’ve seen points availability if you book 4+ nights. Actually I also see it available for 3 nights April 8-11

Last edited by hippolife; Mar 11, 2023 at 9:54 pm
Old Mar 12, 2023, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I booked almost a year in advance. I knew I wanted to go this Labor Day and booked a few months ago. It sucks. But we live pretty close by and I’m really curious about checking the hotel out.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 7:22 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
I was able to snag 3 nights on points for Father's day weekend. It seems that 3 nights is the minimum stay for the base 1King ADA room that is bookable on points.

MHC wasn't able to reduce the number of nights after booking, as they needed to see availability to make the change.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 9:07 am

Just finishing up a stay here (short trip down from LA). Have also done short stays at Mission Pacific, Seabird, HR Mission Bay and Welk in the last year. First time here.

We originally booked 3 nights using a points advance (Friday - Monday). About 2 weeks before check-in, called the hotel and they were able to remove the first night (as noted above, MHC couldn't do it due to minimum stay restrictions on points stays at this property). Applied an SUA and confirmed a courtyard suite.

They day before check-in, the app updated to a room type of 'Premium Garden Suite'. Very nice room, but the noise of the pool is pretty loud, especially Saturday night for the dive-in movie. It looks like even though it is a premium suite, it gets used for globalist upgrades with some frequency. Not my video:

Texted the hotel to see when the room would be ready, and they gave me an ETA of ~3pm. At 1:40pm, I got a text message telling me the room was ready and asking if I needed anything to be sent to the room. Asked for one feather-free pillow. When we got to the room, the all the bedding had been swapped for feather-free. Nice that they managed to make that happen quickly, but the feather free pillows and comforters were about as lumpy as I have ever seen.

On the weekend, the pool area was overrun by kids (my 5 year old being one of them). The adult pool looked very nice. The water slides go into a 42" deep pool, so the slides have a minimum height of 48". The Welk and Hyatt Regency Mission Bay both are 42". Pool food and drink server were all over on the weekend, but food service ends at 4pm.

Breakfast was easy. Was told we could order off the menu or take the buffet. Was told as globalist we wouldn't be given a check or need to sign anything. As others noted, the hot buffet was pretty standard for US hotels. Omelet station and made-to-order pancakes with real maple syrup were available. The pastries were several steps above other US hotel buffets.

Room service pricing was reasonable (18% auto gratuity, $7 delivery fee, 4% BS fee), but the selection was minimal. Large variety of kids selections, but not a lot else. Arrived about 20 minutes late.

We had happy hour food and drinks at Ember and Rye. Everything was good and service was friendly. The Batiquitos lagoon trail there was worth visiting - lots of varieties of birds. The shuttle service was readily available.

Valet was awesome. Were able to charge our car on request, and every time we left they offered water for the road. Housekeeping was about as good as it gets - both services were impeccable. Bath amenities have gone to large Le Labo pump containers.

Overall, our favorite in the area for points stays is still the HR Mission Bay. Like being right on the marina there, and 9000-12000pts is such a relative value. For a cash stay, I would rather pay half the price for Mission Pacific. I just wish the Mission Pacific one bedroom suite was still designated as standard. On points, I'd take Aviara over MP at the same point rate.

The Welk is the wildcard, and honestly, I should have stayed there - the standard room is a full suite and it is a Cat 4, it's up in the mountains letting us defeat the June gloom. Their water slides are a little more mellow. The biggest downside to the Welk is their poor check-in experience (slow, trying to sell everyone on a timeshare presentation), lack of any WoH benefits, and relative lack of food options - weekend brunch only from 9am, some days no breakfast at all.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps someone.
dpb132, ralphs, sfmman2000 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by sammybk
On the weekend, the pool area was overrun by kids (my 5 year old being one of them). The adult pool looked very nice. The water slides go into a 42" deep pool, so the slides have a minimum height of 48". The Welk and Hyatt Regency Mission Bay both are 42". Pool food and drink server were all over on the weekend, but food service ends at 4pm.
I have a dumb question. We have a 1 year old baby - can I take him on the pool slides if I carry him through the slide?

edit: Does the HR Mission Bay feel as clean in the room as the MP/Aviara? I also drive down for weekend stays a few times a year and appreciate the comparisons. Have stayed in MP, Alila Marea, Manchester Hyatt, and Andaz SD several times each but have our first Aviara visit coming up this summer.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by sammybk
Just finishing up a stay here (short trip down from LA). Have also done short stays at Mission Pacific, Seabird, HR Mission Bay and Welk in the last year. First time here.

We originally booked 3 nights using a points advance (Friday - Monday). About 2 weeks before check-in, called the hotel and they were able to remove the first night (as noted above, MHC couldn't do it due to minimum stay restrictions on points stays at this property). Applied an SUA and confirmed a courtyard suite.

They day before check-in, the app updated to a room type of 'Premium Garden Suite'. Very nice room, but the noise of the pool is pretty loud, especially Saturday night for the dive-in movie. It looks like even though it is a premium suite, it gets used for globalist upgrades with some frequency. Not my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZMS..._channel=ZachP

Texted the hotel to see when the room would be ready, and they gave me an ETA of ~3pm. At 1:40pm, I got a text message telling me the room was ready and asking if I needed anything to be sent to the room. Asked for one feather-free pillow. When we got to the room, the all the bedding had been swapped for feather-free. Nice that they managed to make that happen quickly, but the feather free pillows and comforters were about as lumpy as I have ever seen.

Breakfast was easy. Was told we could order off the menu or take the buffet. Was told as globalist we wouldn't be given a check or need to sign anything. As others noted, the hot buffet was pretty standard for US hotels. Omelet station and made-to-order pancakes with real maple syrup were available. The pastries were several steps above other US hotel buffets.

Room service pricing was reasonable (18% auto gratuity, $7 delivery fee, 4% BS fee), but the selection was minimal. Large variety of kids selections, but not a lot else. Arrived about 20 minutes late.

We had happy hour food and drinks at Ember and Rye. Everything was good and service was friendly. The Batiquitos lagoon trail there was worth visiting - lots of varieties of birds. The shuttle service was readily available.

Valet was awesome. Were able to charge our car on request, and every time we left they offered water for the road. Housekeeping was about as good as it gets - both services were impeccable. Bath amenities have gone to large Le Labo pump containers.

Overall, our favorite in the area for points stays is still the HR Mission Bay. Like being right on the marina there, and 9000-12000pts is such a relative value. For a cash stay, I would rather pay half the price for Mission Pacific. I just wish the Mission Pacific one bedroom suite was still designated as standard. On points, I'd take Aviara over MP at the same point rate.

The Welk is the wildcard, and honestly, I should have stayed there - the standard room is a full suite and it is a Cat 4, it's up in the mountains letting us defeat the June gloom. Their water slides are a little more mellow. The biggest downside to the Welk is their poor check-in experience (slow, trying to sell everyone on a timeshare presentation), lack of any WoH benefits, and relative lack of food options - weekend brunch only from 9am, some days no breakfast at all.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps someone.
I've been favoring the Welk lately, only cause if you book the room with the laundry machine in suite, it's so convenient with a kid. They never asked me to buy a timeshare and I don't need a breakfast, it is annoying you have to check out at 10am.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by ralphs
I have a dumb question. We have a 1 year old baby - can I take him on the pool slides if I carry him through the slide?

edit: Does the HR Mission Bay feel as clean in the room as the MP/Aviara? I also drive down for weekend stays a few times a year and appreciate the comparisons. Have stayed in MP, Alila Marea, Manchester Hyatt, and Andaz SD several times each but have our first Aviara visit coming up this summer.
They have a lifeguard at the top of the slide at aviara. I doubt they allow anyone under the height limit. HR MB does have a small slide that may not have a height limit, but it still goes into a pool.

HR mission bay was as clean as MP, but Aviara was leaps and bounds ahead on housekeeping.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 9:10 pm

First time staying, will be new Globalist

Booked a 4 night mid-week award stay for the week before Christmas. Seems like it's not a busy time for them. I'm not currently a Globalist, but will become one next month (first time getting this status). Should I just wait to see what kind of room I get before using a SUA? Can I use a SUA the day of check in if I don't like the room I'm assigned? I'm staying for 3 nights before this trip at HR Huntington Beach and I'm debating using a SUA, so would rather not use 2 SUAs on this one vacation.

I'll have a 1.5 yo and 3.5 yo with me so was hoping that the heated pool (I emailed them and they said it was heated) would be useable, but not sure of mid-end of December weather in the area (we're not from California).

I'm also planning on booking an award stay for my parents at the same time and using GOH for that reservation. Hopefully they'll get upgraded and not stuck in one of the rooms with no view (I am not planning on using a SUA for them, sorry mom and dad). The cash rate during this time is only $550ish so I chatted with a rep to ask about Hyatt Family Rate, but they didn't have it (honestly wasn't expecting a PH to have this).

Any comment on the golf facilities? Other tips / tricks to optimize this winter break trip?
Old Sep 24, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Are golf charges here eligible for point earning?
Old Dec 21, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Marriott Plat
Just completed a one night stay here with wife. We are locals and decided to do a points stay while I’m still Globalist. We were upgraded prior to check in to a fire pit suite. The hotel is tastefully decorated for Christmas. It’s not nearly as elaborate as the old Four Seasons holiday days. We had dinner at the bar and it was quite good and decently priced for a fancy hotel in the area. Breakfast was good and the amount is up to $120. The waitress told us at one point we had quite a big of value left if we wanted to order more items. I was stuffed but my wife ordered an additional blended juice.

We miss the old Four Seasons but still enjoyed our stay.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by buzglyd
Just completed a one night stay here with wife. We are locals and decided to do a points stay while I’m still Globalist. We were upgraded prior to check in to a fire pit suite. The hotel is tastefully decorated for Christmas. It’s not nearly as elaborate as the old Four Seasons holiday days. We had dinner at the bar and it was quite good and decently priced for a fancy hotel in the area. Breakfast was good and the amount is up to $120. The waitress told us at one point we had quite a big of value left if we wanted to order more items. I was stuffed but my wife ordered an additional blended juice.

We miss the old Four Seasons but still enjoyed our stay.
Thanks for the review. I am looking forward to return to this property in 2024 sometime

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.