Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

SHANGHAI: Grand Hyatt vs Park Hyatt vs Bund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SHANGHAI: Grand Hyatt vs Park Hyatt vs Bund

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gum
Thanks for the quick response, moondog!

"Present" to reside at a licensed hotel = show or are they copied there.

For that purpose I would carry a copy with the last two digits greyed out.
Yes, they will absolutely --without a doubt-- copy your (unaltered) passport. This isn't a Hyatt issue; we're talking about PRC law. Frankly, I'm surprised that this stuff surprises you in the slightest.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:06 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
Yes, they will absolutely --without a doubt-- copy your (unaltered) passport. This isn't a Hyatt issue; we're talking about PRC law. Frankly, I'm surprised that this stuff surprises you in the slightest.
Thanks for the information and the comment, moondog!

Concerning your and my surprise: I have grown up in a free market society in Western Europe and for some years was voluntarily engaged in politics.

In Germany and similar legislations it is just unthinkable that someone copies the passport (the Personalausweisgesetz even forbids for domestic purposes). If you stay at a hotel you just fill in a Meldezettel (a simple form where you state your home address) and pay the room with the credit card or other instruments. Passport and ID checks are only made at the border - by civil servants and not hotel staff.

Just for information:
Recently there has been some criminal activity in Germany of some people selling (or trying to sell) such copies for approx. 35-50 USD each and then tried to order something. Was even in the newspaper.

As company you can take some countermeasures - the first one is not to store any copies at some branches. As private person I just have an eagle eye on my personal ID and informarion.

That said naturally every country can do what it wants on his homeland. But simply wanted to know what is happening right there and what proceedings are ok and what not.

Back to the hotel choice:
I know the breathtaking skyline some years ago and really not sure if to repeat the holiday there or keep the former impressions in mind. Noone can do this choice for me.

IMHO the Jin Mao Tower was great but I don't know if the new Shanghai Tower has a shadowing impact on half of the (non-view) rooms. If I would decide to go there I would choose a club room with the breakfast view from the club lounge.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
I have a 2 nights stay mid July on vacation with wife and 12Y old daughter.
Am Diamond.
Which property is best in terms of Diamond recognition and kids ?
(location is NOT important)
Thanks ^
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by gum

In Germany and similar legislations it is just unthinkable that someone copies the passport (the Personalausweisgesetz even forbids for domestic purposes). If you stay at a hotel you just fill in a Meldezettel (a simple form where you state your home address) and pay the room with the credit card or other instruments. Passport and ID checks are only made at the border - by civil servants and not hotel staff.
Odd, this, for domestic stays versus international. As a Canadian, we were asked for our passports at every hotel we stayed in during our visit to Germany. Hyatt, Marriott, Park Inn by Carlson, SPG, IHG, and independent, all required our passport although only a couple copied them.
Old May 28, 2016, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I have not been to the PH, but this will at least give you am idea of what you would get at the GH with a suite upgrade.

http://upgrd.com/blogs/friendlyskies...-shanghai.html
I'm sitting in 7701. It looks exactly as 4 years ago from your blog post. Property seems to age pretty well.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:44 pm

Does anyone know what the standard toiletries are here at GH and PH in Shanghai? I saw some Molton Brown in the pics... whuch is far better than the dreadful June Jacobs.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Does anyone know what the standard toiletries are here at GH and PH in Shanghai? I saw some Molton Brown in the pics... whuch is far better than the dreadful June Jacobs.
I think it is June Jacobs at the Grand, and Aromatherapy Associates at the Park.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question PH vs GH for upgrades, etc?

For my trip with my wife in a couple of weeks, I'd been planning and had reserved a few nights at the PH. But now, talk about First World problems, I'm wondering whether the GH would be better. (FWIW, we'll be staying at the Andaz at the end of our trip for a couple of nights, to be more in the center of things.)

A number of folks do seem to prefer the PH when asked to choose between the two, based largely it seems on the superior breakfasts and overall stylishness and ambiance of the PH. The main reason I'm having second thoughts is that, based on my perusing both the GH and PH review threads, the chance of an upgrade (whether using a DSU or otherwise due to my Diamond status) and/or getting a Bund view is better at the GH.

In addition, I'm wondering whether the views (if the weather permits, which I realize is a bit "if") are actually a bit better from the GH, since it's partly in the way of the PH views. Plus, if I understand the room layouts correctly, it seems my wife could more likely take a bath with a dramatic view from the GH than from the PH. Finally, there's the GH lounge, though I don't know if our bopping around Shanghai would mean we'd even avail of it any evening.

Again, it's wonderful to have such choices and perhaps I'm simply over-thinking this. But this is likely our only trip to Shanghai together, and I want to make it as special as possible. Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:39 pm

To be honest, Bund view from GH is nicer as it's closer to the Bund. PH view is to some extent blocked by the Jing Mao tower where GH is.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Andaz trumps both, IMO.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
In addition, I'm wondering whether the views (if the weather permits, which I realize is a bit "if") are actually a bit better from the GH, since it's partly in the way of the PH views.
It's wise that you caveated "if" the weather permits. In my last trip to Shanghai, I couldn't see anything out of both PH and GH - it was in conjunction with Typhoon Haima and all I could see outside the window was a blank sheet of white.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for these observations, folks...

To be honest, Bund view from GH is nicer as it's closer to the Bund. PH view is to some extent blocked by the Jing Mao tower where GH is.
It's wise that you caveated "if" the weather permits. In my last trip to Shanghai, I couldn't see anything out of both PH and GH - it was in conjunction with Typhoon Haima and all I could see outside the window was a blank sheet of white.
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Andaz trumps both, IMO.
Care to say why?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:43 am

Care to say why?
I am not wowed by the Andaz myself, but it is far more conveniently located than the other Hyatt properties in town.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for these observations, folks...

Care to say why?
GH and PH you can find anywhere. Andaz is a little different, rooms are very nice, if not funky in a good way, including the bathroom. The breakfast is great. The neighborhood is excellent with a bunch of really good eateries with indoor and outdoor seating in a more-relaxed environment. If you want a tower or end up in an office park, then GH/PH.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
GH and PH you can find anywhere. Andaz is a little different, rooms are very nice, if not funky in a good way, including the bathroom. The breakfast is great. The neighborhood is excellent with a bunch of really good eateries with indoor and outdoor seating in a more-relaxed environment. If you want a tower or end up in an office park, then GH/PH.
As a resident of the neighborhood, I have to say that very little about xtd itself moves me. However, it is comfortable enough, and, more importantly, is reasonably close to interesting areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.