Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

SHANGHAI: Grand Hyatt vs Park Hyatt vs Bund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, UA LT Gold, Hyatt Glob, Delta Dia, Hilton Dia

I will be heading to shanghai for 4-5 nights in mid July and was wondering which hotel is better? I've stayed at the grand hyatt before and the hotel was excellent for me but have never stayed at the Park hyatt so was wondering those that have stayed in both places which do you prefer and why? Cheers
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:06 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed at both places and would now happily recommend either. The GH club level is excellent while the PH rooms can be really outstanding.

My current choice is the PH, but then I guess I'm a PH kinda guy.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1k, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
For me, the PH is far superior to the GH in terms of rooms, service, food quality and the gym+pool. The view from the lobby just cannot be beat!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Suggest the newbie do a quick search or go back a few pages as there has been another thread with a similar discussion. Not to mention review threads for each of the three Hyatt's. No need to start numerous threads on the same thing.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Stayed in both. The gym in the PH feels very cramped. However, the breakfast buffet at the PH beats anything in the GH lounge.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:36 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
So, with the UA mistake fare taking a few of use to Shanghai in July (we hope), any advice please on the best Hyatt in town?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Markie
So, with the UA mistake fare taking a few of use to Shanghai in July (we hope), any advice please on the best Hyatt in town?
It's not as easy as that...

The Bund hyatt has amazing views of the bund and pu dong and a good lounge with a good selection of hot snacks in the evening but the rooms are very inferior to the PH.

The PH has views of the Bund and most of SH from the 80-90th floor, excellent rooms with automatic Toto washlets, large shower/ bath tub, automated blinds excellent breakfast selection, feels very exclusive.

Having said that, the image of SH that remains in my head is of the lights and amazing views from The Bund Hyatt. Neither hotels are bad, you could always try both and make up your own mind!

I haven't talked about the GH since I think the choice is really between the Hyatt on the Bund and the PH.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:33 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Markie
Haven't stayed at the Hyatt on the Bund but it's hard to imagine it's better than the PH despite the above post. If you're using points, and somehow I imagine that might be possible, don't even think twice about it. Heck, it's hard to imagine that the Bund Hyatt is better than club level at the GH. And if you are staying ON the Bund, your view will not be OF the Bund, which lit at night is the best view in town.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
GH. And if you are staying ON the Bund, your view will not be OF the Bund, which lit at night is the best view in town.
Actually it is.. not a direct view but you can still see it lit. Also, you can hardly see it from the 80-90th floor as well especially if it's not a clear night/ day.

Pics of the views from the Bund Hyatt

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8783/img2132hi.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4263/img2121kc.jpg

And PH (I got a deluxe room instead of a view room but the view rooms would be more towards the right facing the Bund I guess):

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1851/img2066r.jpg
Old Jun 6, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
PH.... because it has NO LOUNGE!!!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Stayed at all three and I'd say it's a toss up when it comes to the two neighbouring towers, a definite nix for the Bund property. Really comes down to whether you want a club lounge or not. The only thing the Bund Hyatt has going for it is being on the Puxi side of the river and one can walk down the riverway to that part of the city...though not at this time of year as the city heats up. You don't get a view from the lounge and you're not guaranteed a view even as a Diamond (as I found out). Also found the staff at the Bund very standoffish while at the two Pudong properties, they knew me by name after a few hours! None of the Hyatts are particularly convenient to metro stations, though the two in Pudong are within 10-minutes of the Green #2 line (which also goes to PVG). The Bund is a tortuous walk to the new #10 (IIRC) line.

I passed on this UA/CO fare as a MR because I could not abide even an overnight in Shanghai during the peak of summer, so be forewarned and prepared!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:52 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I passed on this UA/CO fare as a MR because I could not abide even an overnight in Shanghai during the peak of summer, so be forewarned and prepared!
Yes I understand that. I think I will just stay one night - although I have always wanted to go there since I was a child.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
I've never been to Shanghai, but will will do a long transit next year...about 40 hours.

I've gotten a decent feel for how the Bund Hyatt, GH, and PH compare, wrt to their service, location, and features, but how does the Andaz compare for these 3 categories?

I won't be a Diamond next year...so obv, the breakfast and upgrade benefits won't be there, but I could use pts for a Club room at either the Bund or GH. Please let me know, so I can choose a Hyatt. Thanks a lot!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: SQ PPS *G, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by portishead
I've gotten a decent feel for how the Bund Hyatt, GH, and PH compare, wrt to their service, location, and features, but how does the Andaz compare for these 3 categories?

I won't be a Diamond next year...so obv, the breakfast and upgrade benefits won't be there, but I could use pts for a Club room at either the Bund or GH. Please let me know, so I can choose a Hyatt. Thanks a lot!
I was in Shanghai about 3 weeks ago and stayed at both the GH and Andaz, so I could make a comparison:

- Service
The hosts at the Andaz were incredibly friendly and spoke excellent English. While the staff at the Hai Pai restaurant was still learning, as there were some minor service issues that detracted from the overall good experience.

I loved the Andaz's location. Obviously Xintiandi was at the doorstep, but also the subway was just around the corner so it was easy to get everywhere. The surrounding areas also felt a bit more local and interesting, while Pudong, where the GH was, was just a bunch of office towers and gleaming malls with very clean sidewalks, streets, etc.

- Features
Andaz was very hip. The decor was spare and modern, loved the retro vintage space-age windows, loved the super cool mood lighting on the bedroom's ceiling, and the simple but functional bathroom with heated granite floor and a smart toilet. Free non-alcoholic drinks in the minibar and free snacks (local sweets, local potato chips, and mini chocolate bars). All day free snacks, juice/soft drinks, coffee/tea in the check-in area. Nightly complimentary wines between 5-7pm. Free local calls and Internet access for everyone. The lobby lounge had very comfy armchairs and it felt very homey.

I booked the cheapest prepaid rate for an Andaz King and was further upgraded 2 categories to an Andaz XL King which was a huge corner room (suite, really). The room had no view to speak of, however.

So while it was a very good stay at the Andaz, I still preferred my stay at the GH. Not just because the GH had a club lounge (a big plus in my book) but also because the overall service level and the view from the club lounge and the room.

I'm returning to Shanghai in November and will be staying at the Hyatt on the Bund. Will be interesting to see how it performs against the GH.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by rhu171
I'm returning to Shanghai in November and will be staying at the Hyatt on the Bund. Will be interesting to see how it performs against the GH.
Make sure to confirm a room in the West (I think) tower (the tower on the right when you are standing infront of the lobby. The rooms there are more furnished compared to the East Tower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.