Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

SHANGHAI: Grand Hyatt vs Park Hyatt vs Bund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SHANGHAI: Grand Hyatt vs Park Hyatt vs Bund

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:39 am

Since you are already staying at the Park Hyatt (Next to the GH apparently). I would recommend going across the river to experience the Hyatt on the Bund.

If you google you will find that suites in HOTB have a magnificent-todiefor views though be expected to find more dated hardware. Most of the action are across the river anyway so it would be a good reason especially on such a big occasion.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:45 am

For Andaz, don't use the DSU as the XL room is bigger than the suite.

I'd highly recommend Hyatt on the Bund. While after PH the room/suite will feel a bit cheap, the suite is in the rounded corner and has a unique view on the Pudong Skyline, visible from your bed. Fabulous.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by benji2227
For Andaz, don't use the DSU as the XL room is bigger than the suite.

I'd highly recommend Hyatt on the Bund. While after PH the room/suite will feel a bit cheap, the suite is in the rounded corner and has a unique view on the Pudong Skyline, visible from your bed. Fabulous.
The real question is whether a suite at the HoTB is better than the XL room at the Andaz (which is my favourite non-suite upgrade out of over 50 Hyatt properties and better than a handful of DSU upgrades I've experienced). Using a DSU just for the sake of it might be counter-productive.

I did the Andaz and the GH during a visit to Shanghai, and enjoyed the contrasting neighborhoods. The main thing most tourists will do at PH, GH and HoTB is wander around the Bund. Changing the view from the room is fine but that still leaves metro/taxi rides to the rest of Shanghai one might want to visit.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
The real question is whether a suite at the HoTB is better than the XL room at the Andaz (which is my favourite non-suite upgrade out of over 50 Hyatt properties and better than a handful of DSU upgrades I've experienced). Using a DSU just for the sake of it might be counter-productive.

I did the Andaz and the GH during a visit to Shanghai, and enjoyed the contrasting neighborhoods. The main thing most tourists will do at PH, GH and HoTB is wander around the Bund. Changing the view from the room is fine but that still leaves metro/taxi rides to the rest of Shanghai one might want to visit.
Yes, if you wan't to make the most of the heart of Xintiandi area, take the Andaz. However, the HOTB suite is pretty big, probably above average, and the view is like having the Shanghai postcard from your bed. Seeing the skyline at night and the ships on the Bund is something special. Clearly a property where it is worth while using a DSU.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:14 pm

thanks!

I'm leaning toward using the last DSU on Hyatt on the Bund.
Hopefully, I'll get upgraded to Andaz XL King when staying at Andaz Shanghai.

What are the chances of getting upgraded to Andaz XL King for Diamond members if the Andaz XL rooms are available to book?.

After my Shanghai trip, I should have over 25 stay credits enough to re-qualify for Diamond member next year.

Many thanks

Last edited by gariben; Dec 20, 2015 at 7:15 pm Reason: space
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by gariben
thanks!

I'm leaning toward using the last DSU on Hyatt on the Bund.
Hopefully, I'll get upgraded to Andaz XL King when staying at Andaz Shanghai.

What are the chances of getting upgraded to Andaz XL King for Diamond members if the Andaz XL rooms are available to book?.

After my Shanghai trip, I should have over 25 stay credits enough to re-qualify for Diamond member next year.

Many thanks

DSU at HOTB is probably one of the best DSU expenses you can get. It offers you a much bigger room and a fantastic view (all suites are in the rounded corner), because you are using a DSU, just make sure they give you a room from the 8th floor or higher or you'll have a view on the house in front

As for the Andaz, chances are high you will get the XL.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
In response to a useful suggestion at the PH thread, if my wife and I visit Shanghai next year (likely sometime in late October or early November) I'm thinking of spending a couple of nights at the PH and a couple at another Hyatt property. Between the HOTB and the Andaz, am I correct in assuming that:

1. If I use a DSU at the HOTB and we get a suite above the eighth floor, we'd get a great Shanghai skyline view of the Bund and across the river. (And we do love views!). But...
2. In terms of being in a nicer neighborhood and convenience for other sightseeing in Shanghai, and being in an overall nicer hotel, the Andaz is better. (As for the Bund itself, we'd check that out while staying at the PH, even though I realize it is across the river.)

Also:

3. How easy would it be to get a taxi and how long would it take to get back and forth from the HOTB and the Andaz neighborhood?
4. I realize there are no guarantees, but based on various folks' experiences any sense of how likely we'd be to get that desired suite with the great view at the HOTB?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
3. How easy would it be to get a taxi and how long would it take to get back and forth from the HOTB and the Andaz neighborhood?
4. I realize there are no guarantees, but based on various folks' experiences any sense of how likely we'd be to get that desired suite with the great view at the HOTB?

Thanks for any advice.
3. to get to the Andaz area it should take around 10 minutes. Point is that you don't have to cross the river and avoid some of the tunnel traffic jam that way. Just avoid peak hours and you should be fine...

4. you can pretty much guarantee it if you email the hotel once you booked the room+DSU. If you ask them if they can confirm you a high floor suite room, they'll probably be ok with it.
They were with me! But it's important to do so because DSU's will bring you to lower floors (seeing feedback here), so it's best to request it.

They actually have two suite categories: Bund suite and Suite, so obviously DSU applies to the cheapest option However, they are all on the same side so if you secure a high floor room, you're fine.

Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks so much, benji! Great info and great photos. My wife will love that tub!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:45 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Question about check-in procedure at Grand Hyatt Shanghai

I am just thinking about a travelling to Shanghai in Summer. Before checking the temperatures, prices, best travel season etc. I would like to get some experience of Fters.

Just a tiny question concerning check-in procedures due to the fact that I don't like private persons scanning my passport and storing copies in an unsecure location (like hotels especially in one ME country do).

If I have a reservation for some days does the check-in staff copy a passport or is showing the passport and the credit card correpsonding to the reservation ok ?

In one ME country the reservation page shows correctly:
"Due to local government guidelines hotel requests a valid Emirates ID (no copy) or valid passport (no copy) with residence visa or entry stamp upon check in for all guests above age of 12."

The site of the Grand Hyatt/Jin Mao Tower shows:
"Credit card provided for prepayment has to be presented upon check-in. Please contact hotel directly if payment is by another party other than the registered guest."

Is this correct? Don`t like to be screened multiple times like when visiting the US etc..

I also think it's useless to get the visa checked at the Pudong airport and then 30 minutes or so later at the GH. Plan just to be there for some days of holiday, not a long term stay.

I know that procedures can always change, but any actual experience appreciated. Info would be fine, interested in a smooth and seamless journey.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gum
I am just thinking about a travelling to Shanghai in Summer. Before checking the temperatures, prices, best travel season etc. I would like to get some experience of Fters.

Just a tiny question concerning check-in procedures due to the fact that I don't like private persons scanning my passport and storing copies in an unsecure location (like hotels especially in one ME country do).

If I have a reservation for some days does the check-in staff copy a passport or is showing the passport and the credit card correpsonding to the reservation ok ?

In one ME country the reservation page shows correctly:
"Due to local government guidelines hotel requests a valid Emirates ID (no copy) or valid passport (no copy) with residence visa or entry stamp upon check in for all guests above age of 12."

The site of the Grand Hyatt/Jin Mao Tower shows:
"Credit card provided for prepayment has to be presented upon check-in. Please contact hotel directly if payment is by another party other than the registered guest."

Is this correct? Don`t like to be screened multiple times like when visiting the US etc..

I also think it's useless to get the visa checked at the Pudong airport and then 30 minutes or so later at the GH. Plan just to be there for some days of holiday, not a long term stay.

I know that procedures can always change, but any actual experience appreciated. Info would be fine, interested in a smooth and seamless journey.
You must present your travel documents to border control at the airport in order to enter China, and then again at your hotel so they can register you with the PSB. If you're hell bent on avoiding PSB registration, you could either not stay in a hotel, or crash in someone else's (who has registered) hotel room. But, be advised that these practices are illegal after 24 hours (72 hours in rural areas).

Last edited by moondog; Jan 22, 2016 at 8:25 am
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:13 am
gum

Originally Posted by moondog
You must present your travel documents to border control at the airport in order to enter China, and then again in order to reside at a licensed hotel.
Thanks for the quick response, moondog!

"Present" to reside at a licensed hotel = show or are they copied there.

For that purpose I would carry a copy with the last two digits greyed out.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gum
The rules in China regarding visas are strict. I'm not an expert but both Hyatts I stayed at in Shanghai needed to see, if not photocopy or scan (I can't recall), my entry visa to be sure that I wasn't overstaying my visa (which was the 72-hour transit variety).

I suspect this might not be the forum for the detailed answers you're seeking.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:37 am
gum

The rules in China regarding visas are strict. I'm not an expert but both Hyatts I stayed at in Shanghai needed to see, if not photocopy or scan (I can't recall), my entry visa to be sure that I wasn't overstaying my visa (which was the 72-hour transit variety).

Thanks to both of you for the info. It was exactly what I was searching for.

Completely OT: Had recently an issue within Germany with a private company trying to copy the passport and then ordered by the authorities to delete the scan. The employee there denied that he had done so, the company admitted he had done so. ID copies are a risk for ID theft.

Therefore I just wanted to know what to expect and then decide whether I may go there.

In contrast to the fingerprinting debasement the US does (Sorry for this comment) which makes visiting the US sights a no-go fo rme.

Thanks for the detailed info, question is closed now.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1. To the best of my knowledge, China does not currently issue any 72 hour visas
-however, transit without visa is permitted, and 72 hours (+the preceding day) is the policy for Shanghai

2. Hotels don't give a rat's behind about whether or not you overstay the limits of your visa (or visa free transit)
-but, they are required to submit credentials of all guests to the PSB

3. This does entail photo copying, and scanning travel documents

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.