Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

SHANGHAI: Grand Hyatt vs Park Hyatt vs Bund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SHANGHAI: Grand Hyatt vs Park Hyatt vs Bund

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HSaxa
(If you include the Andaz into the equation) Trying to decide myself... some considerations: Which one is best for a suite upgrade? For a 5 day stay in January? For walking around?

Thanks!
I can't comment on the upgrade issue, but if you're into walking, the Andaz is probably your best bet. HOTB is also okay in this respect, though the location is somewhat removed from the action.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by HSaxa
(If you include the Andaz into the equation) Trying to decide myself... some considerations: Which one is best for a suite upgrade? For a 5 day stay in January? For walking around?

Thanks!
For Upgrade- Park Hyatt wins by a mile.

My opinion on each as follows

Andaz- right next to department store. Lots of things to look around. But I hate this hotel the most. The room itself is too colorful but poor taste. Try to be W but failed miserably. Overall, I hated staying here the most.

Hyatt on the bund- Depends on which wing you get. Its either good or really bad. Smell of mildew really bothers me. But the room itself is not bad.

GH- The room is little odd shaped. The location can be better. But there are a lot of good restaurant near by. Just not much to do.

PH- I like this hotel the most in Shanghai. The room is so quiet and so comfortable. Suite is also much better than other three. There are some decent restaurant in 2nd floor. The dinner buffet is also quiet nice.

If cost difference is not huge. PH is best.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:35 pm

Park Hyatt Shanghai is my favorite Hyatt property in the world. Period.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum-to-be, Hyatt Platinum
SHANGHAI - Park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt?

Will be visiting Shanghai in November and looking at these 2 hotels. Anybody have experiences with one or both they'd like to share?
Are there Exec Clubs in both hotels?

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Park Hyatt without a doubt, especially because it doesn't look like you're Diamond w/ Hyatt...ie, you have nothing really coming to you.

Virtuoso amenities at this hotel (on a BAR rate):

Daily Buffet breakfast, for up to two in room guests
$100 USD Equivalent Food & Beverage credit,
to be utilized during stay (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full)
Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Early check-in/late check-out
subject to availability

No brainer if you ask me..
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

If it's a cash stay than I would opt for the PH and a Virtuoso booking as Pricesquire suggests... however if you're planning on doing a points booking, it is possible to book a club room at the GH (the PH does not have a club) using points...

I'm not an expert on Beijing geography (paging Moondog) but the GH and PH are in different parts of town. The GH is more in the Wangfujing district.. pretty touristy but pretty convenient to the tourist attractions. The PH is more towards the central business district (I think) so maybe not as convenient as the GH...

FDW
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
OP referenced Shanghai, not Beijing,

They are right next to each other in Pudong.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:18 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Stayed at GH first weekend it opened in 1999. Architecturally its an interesting building and hotel. Remember thinking, why did they build
this skyscraper in the middle of nowhere?

Been to the bar atop the PH. A bit nicer view than GH.

Would prefer to stay in Puxi, more interesting than Pudong.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by spartan301
Will be visiting Shanghai in November and looking at these 2 hotels. Anybody have experiences with one or both they'd like to share?
Are there Exec Clubs in both hotels?

Thanks!
I've stayed at the Park Hyatt, and visited the Grand Hyatt as well. They're both fantastic properties!

There is what to be said for staying in what was the tallest hotel in the world (I think that title now belongs to the Ritz in Hong Kong), and the views from the Park Hyatt are EXTRAORDINARY if it's not cloudy. We found the staff to be absolutely remarkable, and as a Hyatt Diamond we really enjoyed the breakfast!

Both hotels are fantastic, and if you want club access with the food offerings (whether as a Diamond or buying up with points or paying the premium for it), go with the Grand Hyatt. Personally, I would go with the Park Hyatt for the incredible luxury and views.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MarkP24
Personally, I would go with the Park Hyatt for the incredible luxury and views.
Ditto
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum-to-be, Hyatt Platinum
What is Virtuoso?

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Park Hyatt without a doubt, especially because it doesn't look like you're Diamond w/ Hyatt...ie, you have nothing really coming to you.

Virtuoso amenities at this hotel (on a BAR rate):

Daily Buffet breakfast, for up to two in room guests
$100 USD Equivalent Food & Beverage credit,
to be utilized during stay (not combinable, not valid on room rate, no cash value if not redeemed in full)
Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Early check-in/late check-out
subject to availability

No brainer if you ask me..
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:01 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
OP referenced Shanghai, not Beijing,

They are right next to each other in Pudong.
Oh man I'm an idiot... that's what I get for not reading closely... they are indeed right next to each other... and I've stayed at the PH in Shanghai... the area is quite sterile... kind of like staying in the Financial District in DC.

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Would prefer to stay in Puxi, more interesting than Pudong.
I'ld definitely give Puxi a try next time I am in Shangai

Originally Posted by MarkP24
I've stayed at the Park Hyatt, and visited the Grand Hyatt as well. They're both fantastic properties!

There is what to be said for staying in what was the tallest hotel in the world (I think that title now belongs to the Ritz in Hong Kong), and the views from the Park Hyatt are EXTRAORDINARY if it's not cloudy. We found the staff to be absolutely remarkable, and as a Hyatt Diamond we really enjoyed the breakfast!

Both hotels are fantastic, and if you want club access with the food offerings (whether as a Diamond or buying up with points or paying the premium for it), go with the Grand Hyatt. Personally, I would go with the Park Hyatt for the incredible luxury and views.
I found the PH to be quite nice and agree that the views can be amazing but the odds of clouds are high. We had one of the PArk Suites with a Bund view which was nice. I actually did use a virtuoso booking here. Once again on a points booking I would recommend a club room at the GH if breakfast/club access is important. A points booking at the PH would be 20K; a club room at the GH would be 21K. Or you could opt for a suite at the GH for 24K (not sure if it includes club access; I think in the past it did...)

Virtuoso is a travel agent corsotium that has negotiated specific perks with certain luxury hotels. Pricesquire is a Virtuoso agent. (which is why it's a no brainer to him- also a no brainer to me on paid stays)It is similar to Amex FHR, Signature, Ensemble, Visa Signature etc. I do find that Virtuoso seems to better than most of the others (AMEX FHR is close) in terms of hotel list and perks. Most agents do not charge a fee for bookings and most rates book at the BAR (with similar cancellation policies).

FDW
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I've only stayed at the Grand - club was fantastic, rooms outstanding, and staff phenomenal.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:33 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Grand Hyatt has much more interesting architecture which provides
a lot of corner rooms and also the impressive 33 story atrium.
Park Hyatt is more of a plain monolith skyscraper.

Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:55 pm

I have a Shanghai trip planned on Christmas and New Years.

I'm a Diamond Member and still have 1 DSU upgrade left.

I already booked 2 nights with Park Hyatt Shanghai using DSU (Only available for two days). Can't wait for this stay; 130m room

Between Grand Hyatt Shanghai, Hyatt on the Bund and Andaz Shanghai, which property is best to use DSU? All three are available for Suite upgrade.

Someone mentioned there is no need to use DSU on Andaz Shanghai as Andaz XL King rooms are pretty good.

So... which is better? Grand Hyatt Shanghai or Hyatt on the Bund (or Andaz Shanghai) for Diamond Suite upgrades.

Last edited by gariben; Dec 14, 2015 at 9:56 pm Reason: grammatical mistakes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.