Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Base Points Calculation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by devik
Yes, I'm seeing this too - and I had not realized I needed to be so vigilant in doublechecking base points, so thanks for reviving the thread.

Looked at just my most recent stays and *the last 5 were off* - to the tune of:

original base 869 now corrected by GP to 896
538 -> 626
508 -> 645
766 -> 806

And the real kicker:
839 -> 1195

Total base points shorted: 648 (equivalent to a one-night stay). This of course does not include the Diamond bonus points added on top.

As usual, the GP customer service rep was very nice, very apologetic, and very willing to fix the errors.

However, from my side, it's very disconcerting to see this. None of the past 10 or so records show an error in my favor; half looked accurate, and the other half all had errors to Hyatt's benefit. Definitely will be tracking this more closely in the future. Between this and all the other snafus and glitche, I now know not to trust Hyatt's systems for anything. As expressed earlier in this thread, why is it the customer's responsibility to babysit the system and do all this constant follow-up, particularly when these apparently are *known issues* to the company? If this is human error, train your people appropriately. If it's a computer problem, fix it.

Increasingly frustrated with Hyatt.
I'll have to see how my current stay posts. Either way I need to call about last weeks stay. If it's wrong two weeks in a row, I'm gonna have some words with them I agree it is completely ridiculous. This should be an automated process. I know that computers multiply REALLY well.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: UA *Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Wyndham Diamond, Accor Gold
I'm seeing a lot of this as well. Going over my past 25 stays, I've realized they've shorted me about 4% of my points (not including Diamond Bonus). This is kind of crazy because it seems like this is happening to a lot of people.

As Ric Garrido pointed out in his article a while back:

Hyatt short-changed me 4.85% in base points. What about you?

This is still happening! Something stinks here: Identical stays, identical room rates, identical folio totals -- different point posting amount. I feel like I'm being scammed. Do we have some lawyers on this board? This seems ripe for a class action.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
I know that computers multiply REALLY well.
Better than rabbits, even!

Originally Posted by Hsuit
Something stinks here: Identical stays, identical room rates, identical folio totals -- different point posting amount. I feel like I'm being scammed. Do we have some lawyers on this board? This seems ripe for a class action.
I had that thought too.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Hyatt, a little housekeeping would seem to be in order before this happens.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
WHOA !!
I just came back from a multi-stop trip. # Hyatt Place/House stays at about the same rate but wildly different points posted.

I've seen this thread before and thot that I didn't care about small inconsistencies with incidental charges.

I'm being shorted by over half the value of the BASE rate
Ends up the Hyatt House Denver Airport was spot on.
Two Hyatt Place stays don't even come close. I calculated backwards ...took the points awarded, divided by 5 to get the $$$ I was credited for. Note that these were COSTCO PROMO rates booked at Hyatt.com. They were not pre-paid rates and were paid completely with my Hyatt VISA (no COSTCO certificates or anything.

Hyatt Place PDX Airport 175 points / 5 = credit for $35 Base rate = $85
Hyatt Place MCI Airport 287 points / 5 = credit for $57.40 Base rate = $98.10

I guess in the grand scheme of things, 453 points missing isn't that big of a deal. But it's the principal that gets me. And the fact that the shortages close to 50% of the amount of points I should have.

Steve
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Well, second stay didn't post right either. Have bounced several emails with GP so far.

First email response:
Thank you for contacting Hyatt Gold Passport Customer Service. It is my pleasure to assist you.

I have reviewed your stays and confirmed that the amount posted to your account is correct. You may not receive Gold Passport points for retail outlet charges, service charges, taxes, gratuities, pay-per-view
in-room movies or services provided by outside vendors.

Charges excluded by this provision will vary on a hotel-by-hotel basis, particularly at hotels outside the United States.
My response:
I'm a little confused. The only additional charges on those two folios were for restuarants in the hotel or room service. In fact, the second stay ONLY had two additional room service charges which are obviously
provided by the hotel. Are you saying that some of the room service is being excluded? On my bill it only shows up as one charge, so how can there be any finer breakdown than that?
Then they asked for a copy of my bill which I provided, although I wonder how the first agent could say everything posted properly without even being able to see the bill....

Next response
Thank you for your recent message regarding your Hyatt Gold Passport account. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

I am disappointed to hear that you have not received appropriate credit on your recent stay in the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara. Therefore, per your e-mail message, I have researched the visit and have credited the stay for the appropriate points.

You may review the credit received for this stay by visiting us on-line at www.goldpassport.com.

Please note that the stay which occurred on the dates of January 16, 2012 through January 20, 2012 was correctly posted to your account the first time.
So the second stay was deemed to be incorrect and adjusted to what I thought, but no action on the first stay....

My next response:

Thank you for adjusting the second stay to the appropriate number of points.

However, I am confused about the first stay. I can not figure out how the number of points posted relates to the charges on my bill. It does not equate to the room rate alone and I have tried every combination of eliminating dining charges that I can think of and none of them add up to the number of points that posted. Could you please detail what charges figure into the number of points posted for the stay from 1/16 to 1/20?
and their response....
Thank you for contacting Hyatt Gold Passport Customer Service. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

I Pursuant to your message, I have reviewed your stay at the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara for the dates of January 16, 2012 to January 20, 2012.

I have corrected the amount posted to your account based on eligible room charges of $484.00 and eligible food and beverage charges of $73.96 for a total of $557.96.

If you find a discrepancy in these amounts, please email a copy of your hotel bill to our office for review
So they adjusted the first stay, but it still is not correct...

My final response to them so far (waiting on the response to this one)

Thank you for continuing to look into this. I must admit, I am still really confused, so I apologize if I am missing something obvious here.

For the 1/16 to 1/20 stay
Room rate = $121 x 4 nights which matches the $484 you list below.
Food and beverage purchases = $88.06

The food and beverage was split across three nights for $39.64, $26.43, and $21.99. I can't find any combination of those that adds up to $73.96. There is a discrepancy of $14.10 between those amounts. Does this mean that part of one of those dining purchases if being excluded, and if so, on what basis since the bill only lists a single amount? I have attached the bill for this stay again.

Again, I apologize for continuing to inquire about this, but I would really like to know why these stays did not post automatically with the right number of points. Is this not an automated process? As a new Diamond that is switching over from Hilton, I find it disturbing that I feel like I will have to watch every single stay to see if I am being shortchanged on the points earned.
I really don't like that the first answer was "it's right", and it has taken several emails to get to "they are both wrong" and at this point we're just arguing about how wrong they are...
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:37 pm

And a final response:

Thank you for contacting Hyatt Gold Passport Customer Service. I
appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I do apologize for the
confusion. I did the math, and you are correct. I've adjusted your
amount on your stay 01/16-20/12. You spent $622.62 and have an eligible
amount of $572.06 as you mentioned in your original e-mail. Thank you
for your patience and I again apologize and I've awarded you 2000 points
as compensation for this.
Time to send one last email asking how this could happen. I expect no response or some pleasantry...

Edit:
D@mnit!! My latest stay just posted and it is wrong as well!!! How freaking difficult can this be?

Last edited by jasonvr; Feb 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA *Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Wyndham Diamond, Accor Gold
You know, a lot of my most egregious point mistakes are from the HR Santa Clara & Hyatt Place Fremont =X Is this a trend?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: AA PLT
Since points are based on dollars spent, does anyone know what conversion ratio they use for spending at foreign hotels in foreign currency?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I just completed a Hyatt Place night at about $67 and received 208 points. Here's why...

The rate included a free $25 credit. Since it's a HP, that means $25 food credit. What apparently happened, properly or not, is that they subtracted the $25 and then calculated points on the rest. IOW, a free $25 credit means free of points.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Jeff Zidell at Hyatt told me a year ago they had looked into this issue based on my Loyalty Traveler post.

I think I got some bonus points.

The problem still hasn't been fixed though.

As I pointed out in my LT article, if millions of hotel stays are being shorted 50 points, then cumulatively that can be hundreds of millions or billions of points systemwide.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: AAPlatinum, UA
wow...after reading this I'm gonna check again my previous stays,....their customer service is bad, and now knowing that they don't give you the correct points automatically makes me think of going back to the hilton..
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Originally Posted by alecheverry
wow...after reading this I'm gonna check again my previous stays,....their customer service is bad, and now knowing that they don't give you the correct points automatically makes me think of going back to the hilton..

I've had nothing short of wonderful customer service. Bookkeeping is another story!!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:28 pm

Oh yay, reviving this thread AGAIN. Had a 2 night stay at the HP San Jose last week. Points don't add up again. It's higher than room rate alone, but lower than room rate + food. In reality, the difference is very small (less than 50 points total I think), but it definitely doesn't add up. My PL agent is looking into it and thinks it may be related to taxes on the food! I have never heard of this at any other chain, especially since there is no breakdown on my bill to show taxes vs food on the food bill. I understand taxes on the room not counting - that's standard, but taxes on incidentals???

PL agent is also looking at a completely FUBAR posting for my stay at the GH Bali. Reservation was in USD, but Bali converts everything into IDR before charging. They also use at least two different exchange rates, which can both change daily - one for room and one for "other", and the "other" category may be quoted in USD or IDR and converted if necessary. Just a complete mess. All I know is that it posted significantly lower than it should have.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
My theory is that the US properties do the submissions by hand from each hotel. The hotel back office might be rushing, and instead of doing a calculation on each bill, they glance at it, and do 5x point data entry on a guess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.