Base Points Calculation

Old Oct 9, 12, 7:04 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,278
Originally Posted by 4aks View Post
My theory is that the US properties do the submissions by hand from each hotel. The hotel back office might be rushing, and instead of doing a calculation on each bill, they glance at it, and do 5x point data entry on a guess
The only real math is dividing by 2, so it should be pretty easy to get that right even if your theory is correct.
JackE is offline  
Old Oct 9, 12, 11:18 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: So Cal
Programs: UA scum/0.699MM, WN ALP/CP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis PC
Posts: 5,470
Well, got the word from my PL agent that HP San Jose posting was correct. They claim that the taxes on food don't count which is definitely a first for me. I know it is a different chain, but Hilton was never that picky. Restaurant charges always posted in full.

They also adjusted my GH Bali posting by about 630 points. They claim that the incidental charges had been omitted from the original posting Don't have the folio in front of me to see if it is right.
jasonvr is offline  
Old Apr 14, 13, 11:42 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K-MM, AA Gold-MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 6,294
4 of my 7 stays this year have shorted me on the base points. It seems pretty simple -- take the base rate that is on my confirmation, multiply it by 5, and give me the points. But no, it's more fun to play games. 100 here, 100 there. It adds up. And then when your base is wrong, so is your diamond bonus.

Maybe I once didn't care so much because Gx bonuses more than made up for it. But not anymore.

Hyatt, you really need to get your head in the game.
hobo13 is offline  
Old Apr 14, 13, 11:48 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,235
Yeah I had to have a stay in Tokyo adjusted...they shorted me by 1000 points. I mean, getting it adjusted rarely takes too much effort, but that is not the point.
antonius66 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 13, 12:05 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: So Cal
Programs: UA scum/0.699MM, WN ALP/CP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis PC
Posts: 5,470
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
4 of my 7 stays this year have shorted me on the base points. It seems pretty simple -- take the base rate that is on my confirmation, multiply it by 5, and give me the points. But no, it's more fun to play games. 100 here, 100 there. It adds up. And then when your base is wrong, so is your diamond bonus.

Maybe I once didn't care so much because Gx bonuses more than made up for it. But not anymore.

Hyatt, you really need to get your head in the game.
Per my posts above - are your folios just room rate, or do you have things like restaurant charges on there? If there are restaurant charges, it can get very confusing because the tax portion of the food will NOT count, regardless of whether there is a separate tax breakdown on the folio (it's hidden behind the scenes somehow).

I think I've only really had one that was truly messed up (i.e. the points credited didn't even add up to the base rate alone) and that was the GH Bali which was likely further confused by the exchange rate issue
jasonvr is offline  
Old Apr 15, 13, 8:50 am
  #66  
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: CVG
Posts: 15,296
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
Per my posts above - are your folios just room rate, or do you have things like restaurant charges on there? If there are restaurant charges, it can get very confusing because the tax portion of the food will NOT count, regardless of whether there is a separate tax breakdown on the folio (it's hidden behind the scenes somehow).

I think I've only really had one that was truly messed up (i.e. the points credited didn't even add up to the base rate alone) and that was the GH Bali which was likely further confused by the exchange rate issue
For room rate only, there should never be any confusion - although there often is - I've had a couple of mattress run stays at my local property post different points. It can be somewhat understandable if there are incidentals and foreign exchange issues.

Only the room rate and eligible incidentals count for points and not taxes and gratuities or ineligible incidentals (those that are "paid out" to other "operators").
peteropny is offline  
Old Apr 15, 13, 11:26 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K-MM, AA Gold-MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 6,294
Read my post -- it's JUST base rate. (I rarely eat at hotels.) And it's the SAME base rate across multiple stays, yet earns different points. And this happened at more than one property in Q1 2013. Truly pathetic.
hobo13 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 13, 11:58 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: So Cal
Programs: UA scum/0.699MM, WN ALP/CP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis PC
Posts: 5,470
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
Read my post -- it's JUST base rate. (I rarely eat at hotels.) And it's the SAME base rate across multiple stays, yet earns different points. And this happened at more than one property in Q1 2013. Truly pathetic.
To be fair, nowhere in your post does it say that you have no incidentals. Your formula (room rate x 5) implies it, but you never actually say it.
jasonvr is offline  
Old Apr 16, 13, 2:29 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K-MM, AA Gold-MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 6,294
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
To be fair, nowhere in your post does it say that you have no incidentals. Your formula (room rate x 5) implies it, but you never actually say it.
And now I'm saying it. No incidentals. Same base rate. Different points. Sad.
hobo13 is offline  
Old May 31, 13, 7:19 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Posts: 6,411
Points posting issues seem to have returned. (Perhaps they never went away.) I will readily announce that Gold Passport Customer Service (and especially Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge here on FT) are always very happy and courteous to resolve any issues efficiently and accurately.

Still, it seems frustrating that _every_ stay requires some kind of manual correction to the points posting.

Examples (last five stays):
- should have posted 495 base points but posted 430.
- should have posted 450 base points but posted 440.
- all points completely missing
- Diamond Welcome points missing
- all points completely missing

I have left other hotel chains in the past (Best Western) because every stay required manual intervention in the points posting department. Maybe I've mellowed with age but I don't really seem to mind checking / correcting the points after every stay. Maybe it's because the Gold Passport people are so incredibly nice and cordial and efficient. Still, shouldn't there be a way for a hotel to automatically post the points correctly at least every once in a while?

Last edited by CloudCoder; May 31, 13 at 12:36 pm
CloudCoder is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread