Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by JonathanIT
I have a BWB stay booked here in a couple weeks, and I'm curious about the upgrade policy for Diamond members. Early in the thread, many posts described stays utilizing suite upgrade certs. I could only find one recent thread that referenced a FFN stay upgraded to an XL King.

Any Diamond members care to share their upgrade experiences?
Basically on a BWB night, don't hope for anything special in terms of upgrades. I'm guessing that I know the weekend you'll be there and I know there will be quite a few other Diamonds there..... (including myself).

However, it depends largely on when you check in. You need to aim for that 3-6p sweet spot with them and see if the host is willing to give you something other than a standard room. Unfortunately I get in a bit late that Friday night but hoping my host from the last 2 stays will be there and take pitty

Originally Posted by astan100
I've never done a BWB award here, but if you go to the photos, I've gotten upgraded to the "Andaz Executive King" and the "Andaz Loft" before on paid stays. One time I didn't get upgraded at all on a paid stay, but I think they were sold out that night.

The problem is that the photos have titles of rooms that don't exist in their actual room descriptions, so your guess is as good as mine. The Andaz loft was a pretty large room though - I was a big fan (size wise).
Agreed with your assessment. Had the Loft once and regular room(s) other times. The regular rooms are fine but not exactly conducive to having multiple guests in the room.

Originally Posted by ldsant
It depends. The weekend that I stayed there I know there were at least 5 other diamonds and 3 of them received suites; I received a "city facing" room which they consider an upgrade.
Nice to know. The weekend I'm guessing JonathanIT will be there could be full of Diamonds or not. I know of at least 3 others that will be there.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:45 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Basically on a BWB night, don't hope for anything special in terms of upgrades. I'm guessing that I know the weekend you'll be there and I know there will be quite a few other Diamonds there..... (including myself).
Nice to hear you'll be in SD! Having said that... stay away from my upgrade, byaatch! lol
Nice to know. The weekend I'm guessing JonathanIT will be there could be full of Diamonds or not. I know of at least 3 others that will be there.
I'll be staying only one night on Saturday... so that might affect my chances as well. It could be all the XL's are taken with Friday check-ins... but it also could mean I have a shot at some that will be vacated on Saturday that those checking in on Friday for the weekend can't be upgraded to.

I know when it comes to SPG properties I'm on the bottom of the Platinum totem pole... I usually get nada when other Plats get all the suites. I barely have 5 stays with Starwood this year.

But at Hyatt it should be a different story... with 45 qualifying stays so far this year I better get something, no matter how many other Diamonds are checking in!
Old Jul 5, 2010, 5:56 pm
Suspended

I stayed in a loft suite (suite upgrade chit) and a regular room. I preferred the regular room. I considered the Loft suite a definite downgrade.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
I stayed in a loft suite (suite upgrade chit) and a regular room. I preferred the regular room. I considered the Loft suite a definite downgrade.
Why?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
I've had 2 stays here in the past month, both Monday nights for 1 night.

The first stay (first at this property as well), I was comp upgraded to a loft room. I agree with the poster aobve - its sort of an odd layout and not something I'd waste an upgrade instrument on.

The second stay, I was given a comp upgrade to the "sweet suite". That is a MUCH nicer room that is definitely worthy of upgrading too if you can swing it. The shower/tub room is enormous and the odd looking red couch is acutally super comfortable.

Based on how my host phrased it on both stays, the upgrades had been done in the background by managment, not by the hosts.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Mastodon Flyer
Why?
It wasn't much bigger...if bigger at all. The bathroom was bigger but it lacked a tub. It was just a shower. The loft suite is basically a room with a divider in the middle (that you can walk on either side of to reach the bed). Without the divider, it would be a normal sized room. Now, it is two small'ish "rooms," if you can call them rooms. And, from the regular room tub, you can see the TV which is nice if you are traveling alone or with a very significant other. I took a rare bath and watched TV. It was nice. The layout of the loft "suite" just isn't appealing. Who needs two tiny rooms?

Again, after experiencing the Loft "Suite" and the regular room, I consider the loft "suite" a downgrade. But, that's just my opinion.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Club Gold
It wasn't much bigger...if bigger at all. The bathroom was bigger but it lacked a tub. It was just a shower. The loft suite is basically a room with a divider in the middle (that you can walk on either side of to reach the bed). Without the divider, it would be a normal sized room. Now, it is two small'ish "rooms," if you can call them rooms. And, from the regular room tub, you can see the TV which is nice if you are traveling alone or with a very significant other. I took a rare bath and watched TV. It was nice. The layout of the loft "suite" just isn't appealing. Who needs two tiny rooms?

Again, after experiencing the Loft "Suite" and the regular room, I consider the loft "suite" a downgrade. But, that's just my opinion.
Cool, thanks for the info. I had the loft when I was there and was wondering what the regular rooms were like.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:32 am

One other thing that I neglected to mention before that made the Andaz ++ in my book.

When I checked in for my 2nd stay I had the same host as my first stay. She remembered me and the details of my last stay (slightly). I was there celebrating my partner's birthday and hadn't included that in the reservation (made same day... just wasn't feeling the Mission Bay).

My host managed to pick up on this during our conversation, also managed to pick up on my comment about the yummy cupcake bakery a few blocks away and my partner's name and when we returned from some exploring there was a well done birthday cupcake with personalized note (and name on the plate).

It's often the little things that can make a stay good or bad but that made the stay great.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WBurcham
One other thing that I neglected to mention before that made the Andaz ++ in my book.

When I checked in for my 2nd stay I had the same host as my first stay. She remembered me and the details of my last stay (slightly). I was there celebrating my partner's birthday and hadn't included that in the reservation (made same day... just wasn't feeling the Mission Bay).

My host managed to pick up on this during our conversation, also managed to pick up on my comment about the yummy cupcake bakery a few blocks away and my partner's name and when we returned from some exploring there was a well done birthday cupcake with personalized note (and name on the plate).

It's often the little things that can make a stay good or bad but that made the stay great.
That's stunning and definitely a "++". I say it's stunning given the level of incompetence I experienced from almost every staff member I encountered (from the hosts to the front office manager).

Congrats. When you spun the service wheel, it stopped on a good associate.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
That's stunning and definitely a "++". I say it's stunning given the level of incompetence I experienced from almost every staff member I encountered (from the hosts to the front office manager).

Congrats. When you spun the service wheel, it stopped on a good associate.
+1 on this. This property has the most incompetent service personnel of any Hyatt I have stayed at in the last 2 years. And their constant excuses got old. . .fast. Glad to hear there was one associate who was helpful - too bad that's the anomaly at this property.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:35 am

Staying here right now on a couple of BWB awards. Was Diamond upgraded to the loft room, although my Platinum co-worker had an XL-King which I found to be about the same. So far I have nothing but positive things to say about the property and staff. I have received a "we don't give a sh-- about anything" attitude from staff at Andaz West Hollywood on three separate occasions so it's nice to see to every Andaz is not the same. When the host uncovered that I was visiting friends in town, she encouraged me to have them over for breakfast because they will comp up to four people for the Diamond breakfast. I was told there is no dollar amount and to order whatever I want. Will update if my experience here changes before checkout...
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by nutz123
When the host uncovered that I was visiting friends in town, she encouraged me to have them over for breakfast because they will comp up to four people for the Diamond breakfast. I was told there is no dollar amount and to order whatever I want. Will update if my experience here changes before checkout...
They will, check your bill because they have a tendency to forget to comp the brekkie but will when you mention it.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by nutz123
When the host uncovered that I was visiting friends in town, she encouraged me to have them over for breakfast because they will comp up to four people for the Diamond breakfast. I was told there is no dollar amount and to order whatever I want.
wait a minute! We have hosts who must be FlyerTalkers!

GREAT Hotel!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I have a stay coming up here and was wondering what to expect as far as room upgrades and breakfast. I am not to worried about the room upgrade as I booked the room I needed but was wondering how the upgrades go here.

I am interested about the breakfast though as we have been spoiled by the breakfast at WEHO Andaz. How is the service compared to WEHO?

We will be coming from Mission Bay and am looking forward to spending a couple of nights in the Gaslamp quarter.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cozkay
I have a stay coming up here and was wondering what to expect as far as room upgrades and breakfast.
Hmmm....hasn't that already been discussed...even extensively?

At the very least, I know that breakfast has been discussed quite a bit and there have been room type discussions, also.

Maybe you can be a bit more specific....did you read the thread? Seems like very open ended questions on matters that have been hashed over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.