Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Do they still allow you to order room service for Diamond breakfast? I have quick overnight coming up, and that might be the tipping point to the Andaz over the GH if they still offer it. The difference in rate is negligible.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dat4life
Do they still allow you to order room service for Diamond breakfast? I have quick overnight coming up, and that might be the tipping point to the Andaz over the GH if they still offer it. The difference in rate is negligible.
Yes, I did it Monday and Tuesday of this week.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:35 am

Checked in late last night for a 1 night stay - had a pretty decent flight delay and got here just before midnight. Was put in an Andaz suite on the interior of the property, 5th floor. Gotta say, no noise at all. Nice size room/bathroom, seems like they have good staff too.

Awaiting breakfast now while I do some work this morning. I probably should go upstairs to check out the rooftop restaurant, but I'm feeling lazy.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Checked in late last night for a 1 night stay - had a pretty decent flight delay and got here just before midnight. Was put in an Andaz suite on the interior of the property, 5th floor. Gotta say, no noise at all. Nice size room/bathroom, seems like they have good staff too.

Awaiting breakfast now while I do some work this morning. I probably should go upstairs to check out the rooftop restaurant, but I'm feeling lazy.
rooftop breakfast is really nice, IMO. Let the server know you are DIA. Order whatever you want. Easy and delicious!

Edit - I see you have probably already checked out!
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
rooftop breakfast is really nice, IMO. Let the server know you are DIA. Order whatever you want. Easy and delicious!

Edit - I see you have probably already checked out!
Yup, checked out by the time I got this, but I did go to the roof and have a couple of beers before leaving.

I worked an east coast schedule (where my office is located) while I was in SAN to maximize my free time. I ended up ordering breakfast to my room while I did a few things and listened to conference calls. Really enjoyed the huevos rancheros and the side of turkey chorizo that I ordered.

The menu prices for breakfast aren't outrageous here, even compared to other hotels. They're a little high, but my bill was under $20. If I wasn't diamond, I'd be willing to pay for it here.

The question is, did I get lucky with the interior andaz suite, or do I dare bring my family here when we come back to San Diego over memorial day weekend? FWIW, when I went to the roof, there was at least one family with a toddler, who loved the pool.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:36 am

So breakfast for Diamonds is really order whatever you want?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by JunkDiver
As best I can tell, but I didn't go crazy.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Yup! I asked if I could do room service and they said yes. When asking what I could order they said whatever I'd like. ^
Old May 9, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
First time here, and nothing but good things to say about the place. We got an interior suite, which was just fine given (a) no noise and (b) the crazy-low rate I was paying before DSU applied. Staff is relaxed and not over the top. The roof-top breakfast is so much fun. We never even got into the Diamond thing with any of the wait staff. Just ordered what we wanted, a la carte, and not a dime of it (nor the 20% tips) showed up on the bill. Diamond status the way I like it! Pool and everything else on the roof is cool, too. Location is super convenient.

We like Hyatt a lot and try to go with the flow when things are not what we wanted, or stumbled into at some point. This place was super-easy to go with the flow. I look forward to going back.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Stayed here for a night last week. Overall a great experience. Breakfast was phenomenal. Diamond member with one guest: we ordered 2 entrees, a fruit platter, two fruit juices and a Hot Chocolate. Total bill w Tax/Grat was 62.50.... when we went to check out, they had added breakfast to the bill. We had put the Diamond membership on file, but it must not have processed. Mentioned it to the front desk agent and she removed it.

Full review with photos of Large Andaz King and Andaz Suite (and of breakfast):
http://thehyattguy.blogspot.com/2015...go-review.html
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Wrapped up my third stay at the Andaz San Diego a couple weekends ago and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

To add on to what the other reviews have stated;

1) Breakfast is free, order whatever you want, and they won't bring out the check if you let them know you're diamond. Asked one of the servers, and yes, tip is included. The way the Diamond Breakfast works here is exemplary.

However, I will say that I wasn't incredibly impressed with the taste. There is much higher quality food a short walk away (albeit you'd have to pay for it). If breakfast wasn't free, I would choose to go elsewhere for sure.

2) The staff here are awesome. They remember who you are and go out of their way to help you with what you need.

3) Lastly, this hotel gets loud on the weekends. My visits over the winter were on the quiet side, but summer in SD is in full force now. The rooftop bar/club scene was packed on Saturday night and was pretty loud until closing time.

Unfortunately, the hotel has been playing some games with award availability. I've noticed them packaging standard rooms to remove award availability for high demand weekends.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ailable-5.html
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:51 pm

Anyone here went to the Andaz and the U.S. Grant or the downtown Westin ?
They seem the be all the same price range, but somehow have heard very little from the Andaz until this thread
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by switchyj
Anyone here went to the Andaz and the U.S. Grant or the downtown Westin ?
They seem the be all the same price range, but somehow have heard very little from the Andaz until this thread
I've stayed at the Grant (as SPG Gold + Amex FHR) as well as the Andaz as a Hyatt Diamond.

I liked my suite at the Andaz better - the Legacy Suites at the US Grant do have a separate bedroom, but are really narrow, and the one we were in had a tiny bathroom with counter space about 1" larger than the sink itself. Not the "upgrade" you'd want if you're a traveling family. The Andaz was a queen suite, no bedroom door, basically just a divider with a swiveling TV, massive bathroom, more modern fit and finish.

I'd rather eat at the Grant, but I'm comparing free breakfast at both. I recall the Amex FHR credit being generous enough to not really look at the menu prices at the Grant, and the Andaz allowance for HGP Diamond is basically get whatever you want.

If your included benefits are similar, I'd take either one based on price. However, I would take a Grand Deluxe room at the Grant over an entry level suite at either place. Just make sure that if you book a Grand Deluxe that you ask them not to upgrade you, since the upgrade is into a Legacy Suite and it's not nearly as nice a room (IMHO).
Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
I have an upcoming stay here in late Mar. my rate is around 128 USD plus taxes per night (BRG booking) .

just want to confirm that

1. at this hotel, every rooms have NO blind curtain between bathroom and bedroom (or living room). I will be traveling with my friend so this will be the main problem.
2. only andaz suite (or higher room type) that has SEPARATE shower and bathtub.
3. breakfast for diamond is free and can have it via room service.
4. premium internet is included for diamond.

i'm trying to compare this hotel with US Grant (as spg platinum) and Grand Hyatt too.

thanks for any input.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I would call the hotel.... when I stayed here I was hosting a group, all our rooms had a door for the bathroom. Rooms are amazing at this hotel. I had the extra large loft, bathroom was private.

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
I have an upcoming stay here in late Mar. my rate is around 128 USD plus taxes per night (BRG booking) .

just want to confirm that

1. at this hotel, every rooms have NO blind curtain between bathroom and bedroom (or living room). I will be traveling with my friend so this will be the main problem.
2. only andaz suite (or higher room type) that has SEPARATE shower and bathtub.
3. breakfast for diamond is free and can have it via room service.
4. premium internet is included for diamond.

i'm trying to compare this hotel with US Grant (as spg platinum) and Grand Hyatt too.

thanks for any input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.