FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:27 am
PWMTrav

Originally Posted by switchyj
Anyone here went to the Andaz and the U.S. Grant or the downtown Westin ?
They seem the be all the same price range, but somehow have heard very little from the Andaz until this thread
I've stayed at the Grant (as SPG Gold + Amex FHR) as well as the Andaz as a Hyatt Diamond.

I liked my suite at the Andaz better - the Legacy Suites at the US Grant do have a separate bedroom, but are really narrow, and the one we were in had a tiny bathroom with counter space about 1" larger than the sink itself. Not the "upgrade" you'd want if you're a traveling family. The Andaz was a queen suite, no bedroom door, basically just a divider with a swiveling TV, massive bathroom, more modern fit and finish.

I'd rather eat at the Grant, but I'm comparing free breakfast at both. I recall the Amex FHR credit being generous enough to not really look at the menu prices at the Grant, and the Andaz allowance for HGP Diamond is basically get whatever you want.

If your included benefits are similar, I'd take either one based on price. However, I would take a Grand Deluxe room at the Grant over an entry level suite at either place. Just make sure that if you book a Grand Deluxe that you ask them not to upgrade you, since the upgrade is into a Legacy Suite and it's not nearly as nice a room (IMHO).