Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:02 am
Community Director Emerita

Nice pictures on your blog, particularly of the rooftop.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Surprised to see those Korres products! They seem to be popular in Greece, The Majestic Hotel in Santorini and a hotel on the mainland had them. The soap comes in a nice box that I believe I still have!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Golden Toque
A little bit more information about my recent stay at the Andaz San Diego, along with an array of photos can be found on my blog
Very detailed, thanks!

Last edited by Markie; Mar 17, 2010 at 10:55 pm Reason: excessive quoting for a three word comment
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
This place looks great! Hopefully I can use some NBT award nights here in August.

A question though: How far is the Andaz from the Manchester Hyatt? Is it walking/stumbling distance? Got meetings and such at the Manchester but am more interested in staying at the Andaz...
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:53 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by abraxis
A question though: How far is the Andaz from the Manchester Hyatt? Is it walking/stumbling distance? Got meetings and such at the Manchester but am more interested in staying at the Andaz...
Planning to stumble to your meetings at the Manchester?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:19 am

It's approximately one mile on foot. Perfect stumbling distance
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I read the reviews posted in Tripadvisor.com today and most of them complain of noise problem from the night clubs in the hotel. For those who have stayed at this hotel is noise a problem for you during your stay?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Planning to stumble to your meetings at the Manchester?
Why yes, yes I am! ^ August is a nice time of year in San Diego, right?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
San Diego is nice year - round - average high in August around 78f/26c there's a chance that the Santa Ana Winds will occur, and that can make things rather warm - at least it's a dry heat.
Avg. monthly temps in San Diego link
Old Apr 1, 2010, 11:51 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by courcoison
What is the deal with "the car"?

Can you get a ride to the airport and what is the cost?

Cheers.
I just called and asked about the car. Based on availability, they will take you within two miles of the hotel. They are not allowed to go to the airport, but the airport's only about 3 miles away, so maybe a $10 cab fare.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, AS MVPG 75K, SPG LTP (BONVOYED), Hyatt Diamond aka WoH Glob, HH Diamond
Just checked out at Andaz San Diego. Hotel is overall nice as previously posted. But the dinner choices at Quarters Kitchen are poor, inedible, and over priced. We barely touched the two main dishes that we ordered. Breakfast was much better. The SoCal Huevos Rancheros is fantastic as Golden Toque mentioned. We picked two beverages and two entrees off the menu ($11 each), but we were charged for $2 for breakfast on the folio. The HOST did not know why and we just paid and let the mystery remain (the host mentioned something like over the limit but it could not be based on what we ordered). The glass showcase shower/tub enclosure in the room is interesting and it is surely not to everyone’s taste as there is no privacy at all.

There are plenty of free parking spaces around the hotel between 6pm-8am. And there are several parking lots nearby charges $15/10 hrs.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Delta SkyMiles, Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest
Great Hotel

I like the hotel - I stayed there when it was the Ivy. Great location and all! I highly recommend it and I am glad that it is now a Hyatt.

Korres is a great line - as a matter of fact, Delta has recently started carrying it in their amenity kits for the premium class.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 2:55 pm

Friends and I stayed here this weekend. I'm likely not the right guest for any hotel with a stripper pole and king sized bunk beds. You'll find those in the Star Suite.

My room was described thusly:

All rooms feature a voyeuristic 360-degree glass-enclosed shower. Premium rooms caress your senses into submission. Feel free to forget inhibitions as these rooms are facing the downtown cityscape.

The shower is in a very deep tub, and is an accident waiting to happen. The height of the tub is mid thigh for me. It badly needs a grab bar for ease of getting in and out.

A big challenge for the hotel is that they have both a very popular nightclub and a separate rooftop bar. I believe that hours for the nightclub are 10pm to 1:30pm - and if the lobby activity was anything to go by, it is enormously popular. Attention really turns to that clientele by early evening, and guest attention suffers. The beat from the club pulsates thru the hotel til closing. Interior facing rooms are the noisier ones. I was given a room facing the Double Deuces Nightclub which has a bucking bull. I wasn't happy about the noise, but found that ear plugs blocked the it, which was not the case for my friends in other room locations.

The Day Manger to whom we spoke one morning had worked at the Manchester Grand. He said that the much smaller Andaz is getting more platinums and diamonds than it did. The location is great for those planning to spend time in the Gaslamp Quarter, just one block off of it. He said that the Andaz is a totally different hotel Monday thru Thursday than we found it Friday and Saturday, implying it was much more sedate weekdays.

We loved the lounge on top of the roof. The swimming pool is at one end, with lots of chaise lounges around it. The greater part of the roof is a truly lovely lounge area, with multiple seating areas. San Diego tends to be surprisingly chilly at night, despite warm midday temperatures. They have heat lamps lining the outer part of the room. It was a very inviting area.

The restaurant was quite pleasant. Others have reported that their huevos rancheros were good for breakfast. I can now confirm that. We had the $50 ANDAZ5 food credit, so had a light meal there one evening. It's a concise menu, focused on seafood, and food was quite good. The truffled French fries were awesome.

Valet parking is $30 per day.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm likely not the right guest for any hotel with a stripper pole and king sized bunk beds...
(*All of flyertalk sighs with disappointment!*)

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You'll find those in the Star Suite.
Thanks for the photo link. I am glad to see the pole is leaping distance from the top bunk for those speedy after-quickie partner swaps to the bottom bunk.

I must say, I'm tempted to stay in the Star Suite, if for nothing more than the elegant wall decor...

Last edited by jumpdogjump; Mar 12, 2012 at 10:48 am
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
(*All of flyertalk sighs with disappointment!*)
You made me laugh. a lot.

We have an FTer in house who hopes to see the suite before she checks out. It was booked Saturday night when I was there. We could weave stories about who the clients might be for this room. College frat boys who have great hopes? Then, again, it's likely best that I not know.

I've now done a bit of research and learned that the Andaz San Diego in its Ivy incarnation was the first hotel in the nation (world?) to have a stripper pole. See this article also. Since then, stripper poles have been installed in the Apex Suite at Planet Hollywood Las Vegas, the Erotic Suite at Palms Las Vegas, and briefly, the Dorchester Hotel in London for Britney Spears to work out. The Andaz Star Suite rents for about $1100 per night.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 13, 2010 at 10:30 am Reason: added info on stripper poles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.