Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:20 am

still in delaware

as of 6pm last evening; severl dozen still at WIlmintgon De Costco
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Comicwoman
I doubt that they are that profitable to Costco. Low cost door to floor, but I would guess most of the purchase price ends up going to Hyatt.
Most of the purchase price of almost everything Costco sells goes to the manufacturer/supplier. Costco only cares about purchase priceto insure it allows them to set a selling price that insures a higher value to their members than other retailers. Otherwise, why would anyone pay the membership and buy the increased quantities often needed? (6 cans of beans)

Costco has a "desired" profit margin they wish to make on items, which does vary from department to department.

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I don't think it's a given that Costco "ties up capital in inventory" on Hyatt certs - margin on grocery items can be much less than margin on gift items, for example.

Maybe they only pay Hyatt when a customer buys them. Maybe they get 45-day terms, in which case they are probably making a profit on the float.

My Costcos seems to be carrying more and more 80% certs all the time, even as the mix changes. Spas, hotels, restaurants, AMC movies, etc. I bet for the Christmas season they will carry more.
With current selling experience to Costco -

Terms vary - best scenario is, of course, that the item is sold before the bill comes due. Our terms are 2% 30, net 31 - and better than 70% of what we ship them is sold in the individual warehouses before the bill comes due.

It may be that we (FT'ers) have a skewed idea of "selling well"... our item has very limited customer appeal - and Costco buys over a million units a year.

Last edited by sophiegirl; Aug 1, 2010 at 1:22 pm
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
The Arundel Mills(Maryland) Costco has been out of the certificates for a couple of weeks. They are on order but Hyatt is not providing. The desk manager said that the Columbia (MD) store had lots (but fewer now) and other stores had 'some'.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I can't wait for folk selling these on eBay for face value!
interesting...there are a ton of Hyatt certs here at the San Antonio Costco.

Seriously, if people are interested, I wouldn't mind purchasing them for you, receiving payment via paypal or something for the purchasing value. Could use some more starpoints on my CC.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by isocblrg
Of course I would also assume that most of the purchase price goes to Hyatt corporate. But assuming Costco is making somewhere near the 14% gross margin that they average and strive for
That 14% average gross margin includes food that spoils, electronics that gets obsolete or returned, etc. I'd suspect certificates are well under 5%. On the other hand, they don't spoil or get obsolete, and probably not many get returned (and they can be resold as new if they did anyway).
Old Aug 1, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by hull22
interesting...there are a ton of Hyatt certs here at the San Antonio Costco.

Seriously, if people are interested, I wouldn't mind purchasing them for you, receiving payment via paypal or something for the purchasing value. Could use some more starpoints on my CC.
Well, it was a bit of a joke. Although I do have some "original" style certs. Only 25% above face value!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:55 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
NYC

100 or so certificates on hand at the 116th Street store (Manhattan) late this afternoon.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by sophiegirl
With current selling experience to Costco -
Definitely appreciate your chiming in with your actual seller-to-Costco experience, sophiegirl!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:33 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
None left in the Seattle stores (Kirkland, Everett, or SoDo). Had the supervisor check and he informed me that, in fact, this is now showing as an "inactive" item and they will not be reordering them.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Incorrect Credit Card Charges with Certificates

Just checked my credit card statement for a stay at Hyatt Place Atlanta Airport South last week. Total was $115, and I used $100 in certificates.

My credit card shows payment for a $15 charge and a $100 charge from the hotel. Now I get the fun of calling the hotel's billing folks directly to get them to figure this out.

I have used the certs at a dozen places with no problems, but this is going to take some phone time.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Just checked my credit card statement for a stay at Hyatt Place Atlanta Airport South last week. Total was $115, and I used $100 in certificates.

My credit card shows payment for a $15 charge and a $100 charge from the hotel. Now I get the fun of calling the hotel's billing folks directly to get them to figure this out.

I have used the certs at a dozen places with no problems, but this is going to take some phone time.
I hope you got a receipt showing the certificates applied to your bill.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:40 am

Waterbury CT

is sold out. Saw them wheel the display off the selling floor.
Went to front desk and spoke w/mgr. (know them all quite well over 15 yrs) and was told it probably will be discontinued. Luckily she said there was one set left. Grabbed it. DH also purchased 3 sets on Sunday.
Mgr. did check and told me where there were still some left in the area.
Think we'll be making a trip to pick up some more since we've got our upcoming summer break and looking around at colleges in the fall. 20% comes in handy.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
South Florida is sold out.
One showed 13 but when I got there they said they were out and not sure why the computer said 13 (Park Av,Miami).
Hoping to get some when I am in Chicago next week
Old Aug 4, 2010, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by JAFU007
South Florida is sold out.
One showed 13 but when I got there they said they were out and not sure why the computer said 13 (Park Av,Miami).
Hoping to get some when I am in Chicago next week

See my post #1507 - no Costco certs in Chicago or all of the Midwest (except for somewhere in Kansas).
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:30 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Jacksonville, FL sold out, too. Great while it lasted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.