Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Okay, so which hotels do NOT accept the certs?

As far as I'm aware, the list shows all the hotels in the Hyatt system. Many don't accept the gift card, or some of the stay certificates, but all show that they do take these Costco ones.
According to GP, the only two hotels that do not accept them are Hyatt Regency Trinidad and Hyatt Regency Tianjin in China.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
I read through all the 52 threads...yes, really... and wanted people's opinions on using these.

So I tried to use one tonight at checkin and they told me I had to do it at checkout. I didn't want to go "listen, this is a MR and I'm not going to come back tomorrow", so do I have to just show up again to use it?

Is there any way to phone it in or possibly give it to them at some time other than checkout? I can understand that they want to make these difficult to use, but I'm debating the value of driving 30 minutes round trip to make 10 bucks
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by astan100
I read through all the 52 threads...yes, really... and wanted people's opinions on using these.

So I tried to use one tonight at checkin and they told me I had to do it at checkout. I didn't want to go "listen, this is a MR and I'm not going to come back tomorrow", so do I have to just show up again to use it?

Is there any way to phone it in or possibly give it to them at some time other than checkout? I can understand that they want to make these difficult to use, but I'm debating the value of driving 30 minutes round trip to make 10 bucks
They would need it before check-out. When I was given that response, I told them that I was leaving early or was going to be in a rush in the morning, so could they just process it now as I know they have a multiple steps and it takes some time (on occasion) to get it done.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by GoingAway
They would need it before check-out. When I was given that response, I told them that I was leaving early or was going to be in a rush in the morning, so could they just process it now as I know they have a multiple steps and it takes some time (on occasion) to get it done.
Smooth...I like the answer. I'll try it tomorrow as my 2nd MR hotel is almost next to my first...so checkout of one and early checkin to the other.

Does anyone ever tell the front desk they are doing a MR?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by astan100
Smooth...I like the answer. I'll try it tomorrow as my 2nd MR hotel is almost next to my first...so checkout of one and early checkin to the other.

Does anyone ever tell the front desk they are doing a MR?
Just be firm the next time, and tell them you're leaving early in the morning.

I have let it slip to some hotels that I'm doing stays for the points/promotions. They're usually more than happy to fill rooms.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Just be firm the next time, and tell them you're leaving early in the morning.

I have let it slip to some hotels that I'm doing stays for the points/promotions. They're usually more than happy to fill rooms.
I'll try being more pushy tonight. I used Cert #1 today without any trouble at checkout at least.

I figure Mattress Runs are like Fight Club...you don't talk about it (unless it's a mostly anonymous forum of course.)
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I never understand the purpose and meaning of just booking a room and not staying for the night.

Is it for achieving the Diamond status? Personally, Diamond status doesn't worth all that money. If all you desire is Diamond treatment on only few stays at a high-end Hyatt and you would rather pay money to get there, why don't you save all the money and book a high-end room instead?

Is it for scoring a FFN? If you are using your FFN on super high-end Hyatt hotels like PH Tokyo or Vendome, I get it. But for almost everything else, one night of FFN is not worth paying for 2 MRs without the intention of staying. Granted that many Hyatt may cost more than $300+/night, but you also have to pay at least $100 for 2 nights of MRs. If you just book and don't intend to stay there, you basically pay Hyatt money in return for that free stay, which I think defeat the purpose of FFN.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
I never understand the purpose and meaning of just booking a room and not staying for the night.

Is it for achieving the Diamond status? Personally, Diamond status doesn't worth all that money. If all you desire is Diamond treatment on only few stays at a high-end Hyatt and you would rather pay money to get there, why don't you save all the money and book a high-end room instead?

Is it for scoring a FFN? If you are using your FFN on super high-end Hyatt hotels like PH Tokyo or Vendome, I get it. But for almost everything else, one night of FFN is not worth paying for 2 MRs without the intention of staying. Granted that many Hyatt may cost more than $300+/night, but you also have to pay at least $100 for 2 nights of MRs. If you just book and don't intend to stay there, you basically pay Hyatt money in return for that free stay, which I think defeat the purpose of FFN.

Here's my math that makes this reasonable. I'm staying in Hyatts that cost ~60 bucks all in. With a hyatt Cert, that brings the cost to 50.

Total cost per FFN = 100 bucks.

To sweeten the deal, I'm pairing it with the united each stay = 2500 miles. So each FFN also yields 5k miles, worth ~50 bucks on the low end.

In my mind, I'm getting a 300 dollar or more (if I'm lucky) hotel room for 50 bucks.

I have 2 large vacations coming up, so why not treat myself and save the points from my other hotel programs.

Diamond status is side benefit.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Doing a run for diamond may be worth it to some folk. If you were doing it only for that, you would have done it in January when stays counted double.

I think most people are doing it for free nights. By using the Costco certs, you can get 2 paid nights for $100 or so. Plus points and stay credits. I know when I did my first Hyatt MRs, they had overlapping promos, free nights, Gx promo and MC promo. No Costco certs then, but I got free nights for about a $75 each.

Most of the nicer Hyatts that I stay in are $200-400 per night, and you get your elite benefits.

Hyatt has a great program. When I first did runs, I would stay in some of the rooms. After you've done 20-30, it gets a bit boring. If I could find a nice place that's out of town, I'd certainly stay in the room.

Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:50 pm

Wonder if the Costco near me sells them. I wish Vegas had a cheaper than 89 a night + option for Hyatt as well.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
If anybody has extra certs or the ability to get more, please PM me

I'll also point out that it's possible to redeem Citi ThankYou points for these certs (10000/$100, 6000/$50); not the best deal, but better than getting 71 cents on the dollar for cash back.
Thanks for the PMs. I take back my request!

Just got a large number of certs at a Northern Virginia Costco. They didn't have them on display at all next to the M&C, Vegas, etc. gift cards, but when I asked Merchandise Pickup and gave them the item #, they were able to locate the paper certs. They wrote the item # on a slip of paper for me to give the cashier, but I imagine if you tell the cashier you want item #485271, he/she is not going to turn you down.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I would be interested in buying the Hyatt CC's but do not have a Costco membership. Does anyone know if Costco ever offer's a Free temporary membership? It really wouldn't be worth the $50 for me to join, just to get the Hyatt card. I'm always getting those Free BJ cards, and never use them-- does Costco have anything similar ? (Didn't see anything on their website).
Old Mar 27, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Obviously not a regular FT'er
Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Have a friend with a costco membership buy them for you.
Or you may also be able to buy a Costco Cash Card on their web site then just show up to the store with it - I had a friend do this in the past and they can't say - sorry you lost your money or need to buy a membership. They will let you in to use it.

I just bought another $1k today.

Originally Posted by mauld
I would be interested in buying the Hyatt CC's but do not have a Costco membership. Does anyone know if Costco ever offer's a Free temporary membership? It really wouldn't be worth the $50 for me to join, just to get the Hyatt card. I'm always getting those Free BJ cards, and never use them-- does Costco have anything similar ? (Didn't see anything on their website).
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: status-less.
Signed up at a west suburban Costco today and bought $1K of face value of certs. The store I went to offered a $25 Costco cash card for signing up for the Executive membership and the Amex card, effectively reducing the cost of the Executive membership to $75. Then, of course, the $800 purchase is worth presumably $16 from the 2% Executive cash-back plus another $8 from the Amex cash-back.

Before my buy, this location (Saint Charles) had 59 sets in hand. One person said they thought it'd be a regular item, the other wasn't sure if it was for a limited time or not. I'd be willing to help out others; PM me.

Last edited by jtaft; Mar 27, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.