FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [GONE] Costco selling Hyatt Check Certificates (Not Applicable to Pre-paid Rates)
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:12 am
sophiegirl

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Comicwoman
I doubt that they are that profitable to Costco. Low cost door to floor, but I would guess most of the purchase price ends up going to Hyatt.
Most of the purchase price of almost everything Costco sells goes to the manufacturer/supplier. Costco only cares about purchase priceto insure it allows them to set a selling price that insures a higher value to their members than other retailers. Otherwise, why would anyone pay the membership and buy the increased quantities often needed? (6 cans of beans)

Costco has a "desired" profit margin they wish to make on items, which does vary from department to department.

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I don't think it's a given that Costco "ties up capital in inventory" on Hyatt certs - margin on grocery items can be much less than margin on gift items, for example.

Maybe they only pay Hyatt when a customer buys them. Maybe they get 45-day terms, in which case they are probably making a profit on the float.

My Costcos seems to be carrying more and more 80% certs all the time, even as the mix changes. Spas, hotels, restaurants, AMC movies, etc. I bet for the Christmas season they will carry more.
With current selling experience to Costco -

Terms vary - best scenario is, of course, that the item is sold before the bill comes due. Our terms are 2% 30, net 31 - and better than 70% of what we ship them is sold in the individual warehouses before the bill comes due.

It may be that we (FT'ers) have a skewed idea of "selling well"... our item has very limited customer appeal - and Costco buys over a million units a year.

Last edited by sophiegirl; Aug 1, 2010 at 1:22 pm