IHG Hotels - Friends and Family Promotion [updated Jan 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Hotels - Friends and Family Promotion [updated Jan 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: AC *P
Thanks, OP. Booked four nights in Vancouver over Easter for $350 all-in.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone have a feel for whether this deal will expire any time soon?

I've got a summer trip to Lijiang, China and the Crowne Plaza there is, by far, the best hotel in town. The f&f rate (like US$80) is currently about $20 better than the alternatives. Priorityclub redemption is at 25,000 points, so I'd rather pay $80. Trying to decide whether to book, or roll the dice and see if something cheaper eventuallly pops up.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Does anyone have a feel for whether this deal will expire any time soon?

I've got a summer trip to Lijiang, China and the Crowne Plaza there is, by far, the best hotel in town. The f&f rate (like US$80) is currently about $20 better than the alternatives. Priorityclub redemption is at 25,000 points, so I'd rather pay $80. Trying to decide whether to book, or roll the dice and see if something cheaper eventuallly pops up.
I don't think it will expire anytime soon. But, I also don't think you will get a much better deal if there is a special rate offered right now. So, I would just book the F&F if I were you. I don't see the F&F rates fluctuate at all - they are what they are. So, unless you know an employee that wants to travel with you, then it sounds like you already have a pretty good deal.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Puppenstein
I don't think it will expire anytime soon. But, I also don't think you will get a much better deal if there is a special rate offered right now. So, I would just book the F&F if I were you. I don't see the F&F rates fluctuate at all - they are what they are. So, unless you know an employee that wants to travel with you, then it sounds like you already have a pretty good deal.
Thanks. Last year, I used a BOGO weekend promo in Europe that (obviously) resulted in a lower rate than the f&f rate.

If f&f were cancellable, it would be a no-brainer to hold it. I just hate booking a non-refundable rate months in advance to save 20-some-odd dollars. I also hate paying the extra money, too.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:59 am

I don't see the F&F rates fluctuate at all - they are what they are.
This is FALSE.

I HAVE seen F&F rates fluctuate significantly. In particular at ICs. I do, however, imagine lower priced IHG hotels have less elasticity.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:10 am

I have also seen them fluctuate. I think they rise and fall in direct relationship to the regular rates.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Thanks Much,

Booked a 1 night stay for next week at Hotel Indigo NY for $136. Called to confirm and all is good.

Saved me some cash because I'm coming in late and checking out early.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by awpeters
This is FALSE.

I HAVE seen F&F rates fluctuate significantly. In particular at ICs. I do, however, imagine lower priced IHG hotels have less elasticity.
Sorry - I didn't think he was asking about IC's. I thought he was asking about CP. If one wants to save money and get a good deal, I think that IC would probably be the last hotel brand to check out due to their revenue management. If I want to travel cheap I stay at CP, HI, HIEX, STAY or CDLW. I do not see their rates fluctuate a significant amount. Obviously, the closer you book, the better the deal you may get but that doesn't work when you have to factor in airline ticket prices. After all, revenue management is all about maximizing revenue so with the hotels it is a bit opposite from the methods used by airlines.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:42 pm

Sorry - I didn't think he was asking about IC's. I thought he was asking about CP. If one wants to save money and get a good deal, I think that IC would probably be the last hotel brand to check out due to their revenue management. If I want to travel cheap I stay at CP, HI, HIEX, STAY or CDLW. I do not see their rates fluctuate a significant amount. Obviously, the closer you book, the better the deal you may get but that doesn't work when you have to factor in airline ticket prices. After all, revenue management is all about maximizing revenue so with the hotels it is a bit opposite from the methods used by airlines.
Quite the contrary, because ICs are more expensive, the marginal savings can be the most significant of any of the brands. And for AMBs and RAs, the elite benefits (when honored on F&F rates) are also among the most valuable.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:09 am

This is FALSE.

+1

Yeah i have seen them change. At the IC Jakarta, for example and HI Kings Cross, Sydney, for another.

Last edited by camsean; Apr 6, 2010 at 4:17 am
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:07 am

Quite the contrary, because ICs are more expensive, the marginal savings can be the most significant of any of the brands. And for AMBs and RAs, the elite benefits (when honored on F&F rates) are also among the most valuable.
Yes, but when taking into consideration that most charge huge amounts for parking and you usually don't get free breakfast, etc. they are not always worth it. If you are a member of the Ambassador program you of course get more benefits but JMHO - I only stay at them in the resort locations, like Fiji or Monterey for example. To each their own, but the savings for me even with the employee rate aren't always worth it. But, if you did invest in the Ambassador program, I can see why you would want to stay at IC exclusively.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: AF Gold | LH SEN | Hertz #1 Gold | PCR Plat | IC RA
Does F&F night count to qualify for RA?

It seems pretty clear that F&F rate does not score any points. Now my question is:

Do the nights stayed at F&F rate count as paid nights towards qualification for Royal Ambassador?

I will be pretty near 60 nights this year, and I don't wanna take the risk of running short just to save a few Euros.

Thanks in advance.
P
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Plancktos
It seems pretty clear that F&F rate does not score any points. Now my question is:

Do the nights stayed at F&F rate count as paid nights towards qualification for Royal Ambassador?

I will be pretty near 60 nights this year, and I don't wanna take the risk of running short just to save a few Euros.

Thanks in advance.
P
I don't know, all I know is that they are posted as "non-qualifying".

Xxx
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Plancktos

Thanks in advance.
P
No. They unfortunately don't.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks. Last year, I used a BOGO weekend promo in Europe that (obviously) resulted in a lower rate than the f&f rate.

If f&f were cancellable, it would be a no-brainer to hold it. I just hate booking a non-refundable rate months in advance to save 20-some-odd dollars. I also hate paying the extra money, too.
Yea, that would make the decision to hold it fairly easy.

Last edited by hesusbaby; Apr 10, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.