Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Bookings Destroying FT Spirit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:14 am
Suspended

HI Phuket

When I first started lurking on FT 5-6 years ago, I was of the opinion that members here are very rational people with a high level of integrity.

After reading the responses by some posters over at the HI Phuket BHT1 thread, I came to the conclusion that my original view is no longer valid. We have posters who booked stays for extended periods (30days) and left the room empty for a few weeks after checking-in. Some even made it very clear that they would not have breakfast at the hotel (which is only BHT350/person) because they could eat cheaper elsewhere.

Eventhough I am from the third world and my income is only a fraction of the majority of posters here, I made only one booking over an extended weekend. And what I gave back to the hotel in terms of f&b and spa treatment was more than half the room charge for my stay had they applied their regular rate.

I also disagree with the views of many posters here that as long as the loser of the mistake rate is one big corporation, its perfectly alright to abuse it. Many hard working people in the developing world invests their life savings in these large organisations. And when you abuse the mistake rates, you are indirectly ripping off the man in the street as well.

I am not saying nobody should book a mistake rate, everyone wants a good deal. But please dont abuse it, and if the hotel honours the mistake rate its a bonus for us and we should be grateful about it.

Last edited by mario33; Sep 1, 2006 at 7:21 am
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K;
It is simple logic. The more abuse and greed....the less the deal is likely to be honored.

Booking for a month and leaving the room vacant for much of that period is, in my opinion, just plain stupid and childish. Why would anyone want to punish the hotel??
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tcook052
I've noticed a trend towards gluttony at times here on FT, especially with the hotel deals. It seems it's gone from taking advantage of a deal for your own personal use to grabbing as much as possible... mindless greed has tarnished the golden egg.
I strongly agree. Self-righteous gluttony is a good term. Whatever happened to trying to be supportive, not just of each other, but of conscientious service providers we like? Rather than holding them down by the throat when they make a rate mistake and inflicting serious, needless, gleeful economic damage?

How can this community expect friendly gestures from hospitality interests -- like lurkers, hosted dos, PM-channel help with red tape, etc. -- while it impulsively attacks those same interests when they misstep, bleeding them dry in borderline feeding frenzies? How can we use "the value of our business" as a lever when we have members who score rooms for a few bucks a night refuse to spend another few bucks in the breakfast room?

If I were a hotel interest, I know what opinion I'd form of this community. I know it's not fair to base it solely on error rate frenzies. But plenty of people here trash airlines, hotels, etc. on the unfair basis of one bad experience. Why should FT in return be judged any more rationally?

FT sure isn't the community I joined in 1999. But of course a lot has changed since then.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
So based on this thread and the thoughtfulness of the OP to enlighten us to this issue:

Who is going to change their booking practices on future mistakes?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:18 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
So based on this thread and the thoughtfulness of the OP to enlighten us to this issue:

I, for one, will continue to make one booking for myself and if friends want it, let them do it themselves. The lesson I learned is to carefully consider my dates, booking agent and take it for a long weekend, week or 10 days max. Only the time I will use it personally.

I tried an "add on" day for Laquinta that I should have asked for in my first booking. Now I'm coming from the east coast for 2 full days instead of the 3 days I wanted. My mistake.

And thanks to all for the varied discussion and opinions.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by derpelikan
i am sure that we all have enough money to use the hotel cars for airport pickup, try to eat in the hotel, use the minibar instead of buying drinks at the supermarket etc.
After an excellent deal, I've got enough money to do that - but at the same time, will I do that? Probably not. One of the reason I travel is to experience the local culture & flavor - eating at a hotel restaurant doesn't do that for me. And with the exception of the CDG Hyatt while there due to an overnight bump, I've never used a mini-bar & rarely eat any meal but breakfast at the hotel (and only if it's a great deal with a good buffet). Fact of the matter is, that in general (and I mean no offense because I'm definitely including myself in this generalization), FT'ers are the type of people that outsiders consider to be cheapskates - we probably prefer to call ourselves "thrifty" & "budget-oriented" - but the fact of the matter, we, especially, go with the mindset "if I don't have to pay for it, why should" - at least that's my impression after having been on this site for 3+ years.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still plan on booking things - but only when I think I'm going to use it. I didn't book the La Quinta deal or the BKK deal because I knew that I wouldn't be using them. I did book the HI Phuket for October because I have a buddy in Surat that I was planning on visiting, but now that I'm no longer going, I'm planning on cancelling it or switching it to his name if he wants it.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I guess I should answer my own question as well LOL

I will book whatever I think I could possibly use. If that means that I could use a ton of nights, I will book it assuming I think I can actually use them. If I know that I can only go once (Japan for example where I booked one five night stretch) I'll only book what I think will actually happen. Would I ever book a years (or even a month) worth of rooms, highly unlikely, now that said and done, if I found the say Reston hyatt (I work across the street) at some bizarre low rate, yeah I'd make a ton of them. If it was the say Long Beach Hyatt, Id only make them for the trips I foresee myself going out there (monthly trips for up to a week at at time), and if it was say the Seattle Hyatt, I'd probably make one (two at most) as I just wouldn't make that trip very often.

Another factor in making the mistake reservations for hotels is whether I have to pay up front or just make a cancellable rez. obviously if I have to pay up front (like airlines) I'm going to book less than something I can just cancel once I figure out my airfare issues.

Someone stated that you don't know when you are going. I would agree. I don't know either especially on a mistake when its book now and worry aobut airfare later. The problem lies in that you can't wait to find airfare b/c most likely the deal will be long gone. So I'm from the same school, book what you think you might make, find your airfare(s) and then cancel out the rest. If done properly (read timely), you probably don't hurt the hotel with extra bookings you are not going to use b/c you are cancelling pretty quick.

Finally, do I use the hotel services? hardly ever as they are just so out of whack price wise that regardless what I'm paying for the room, I'm probably not touching that mini-bar (is there a bigger rip off anywhere), unlikely to eat in their restaurant (if I have to pay), and have a ton of drinks (I will get one or two on occasion though) at hotel prices.

Has this thread changed my booking habits, not at all but it has been quite interesting reading material as to how we all see this differently.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:43 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
In London, an American cashier gave me £44 change after I gave her a £20 bill and ordered a £6 sandwich. Since the £44 was in my hand, I am absolutely unequivocally entitled to the money since it was given to me as a bona fide gift. If the clerk dared call the police or even tried to stop me from walking out, I will hire solicitors and fight it all the way to the end because I know I am justified.

That's the EXACT same example I'm witnessing here on FT and I am VERY disappointed! I did book two weekends on the Hilton error in Tokyo, but did not pursue it when Expedia cancelled it.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:59 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Fact of the matter is, that in general (and I mean no offense because I'm definitely including myself in this generalization), FT'ers are the type of people that outsiders consider to be cheapskates - we probably prefer to call ourselves "thrifty" & "budget-oriented" - but the fact of the matter, we, especially, go with the mindset "if I don't have to pay for it, why should" - at least that's my impression after having been on this site for 3+ years.
We were called "bottom-feeders" by the Air Canada brass during one FT chat.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:44 am

Programs: GM
Originally Posted by Braindrain
We were called "bottom-feeders" by the Air Canada brass during one FT chat.
this bottom feeder plans to use his one reservation and to throw money around at the hotel like a water sprinkler. i have no moral issues...and this is babyjesus!!
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
hotels are going to start becoming like airlines and making most of their rates non-refundable and charging much higher prices for refundable rates. there is no reason they shouldn't adopt the same model as airlines. if people can plan their flights in advance, they should be able to plan their hotel stays in advance as well.

this would cut out a large % (not all, I admit) of these multiple bookings.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
I will not change my booking practices on mistake fare/rates. I only book a fare/rate when I know I will be there when I book it. I had planned to visit BKK before I learn about Conrad price mistake, and I took advantage of it when price mistake happened. I am going to be there no matter if cheap airfare is there or not as I planned to be there in the first place. I didn't jump on Japan deal or La Quinta deal as I wasn't sure if I could go or not.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:27 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
i am sure that we all have enough money to use the hotel cars for airport pickup, try to eat in the hotel, use the minibar instead of buying drinks at the supermarket etc. .

for myself, i think i want to make the hotel feel that it was worth while to honor the rate.

i will take all my clothers in a big case and let the hotel clean all.
i will order the hotel cars for pickup, anybody know which kind of limosines the bkk conrad has?
i will buy 10x the conrad CD, ( i love the cd and it is a good present anyway
etc. etc.
And don't forget to go to the spa .

The above is, of course, the right attitude to give something back to the hotel for its generosity. No doubt the way to go ^^^ !!!
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:31 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
personally i think you're just contributing to "destroying spirit..." if you want to put it that way..

hotels and airlines are going to do what theyre going to do. making it sound like theyre going to decide to refuse to honor 1000 reservations SOLELY because 1 person booked for a year or booked 1000 flights is absolutely ridiculous.

its purely a matter of how MANY people book the error and how much of an error it was.. (if they think about honoring it in the first place obviously, because sometimes they dont even consider it)

also, 1 person does not give FT a bad name. 1 person who books a ridiculous amount of time / flights / etc looks ridiculous, nothing more.

and isnt this entire discussion kind of ridiculous in the first place?

either you book mistake fares or you dont. a LOT of people dont book them.

i think discussing the "ethics" of that is just as ridiculous......

this stuff goes nowhere.

This poster is telling the truth.

My thought: If you booked a room at a nice hotel for a week for $3.00 a night, and they honored it, good for you. If you booked a room at a nice hotel for a YEAR and they honored it? - You're going on the Today, Tonight, Tomorrow show AND Oprah!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.