Multiple Bookings Destroying FT Spirit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Bookings Destroying FT Spirit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
I am quite capable of imagining limits. I am simply baffled by a limit that says stealing one pack of gum from the corner store is fine, but stealing 10 packs of gum is unethical.
This is a fallacious analogy.

Has there been a law broken by those who took advantage of this mistake?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 6:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, NWA Gold, UA Prem Exec, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by cravenstatus
This is a fallacious analogy.

Has there been a law broken by those who took advantage of this mistake?
No there has not been a law broken, you are right. Quite simply, by booking months at a time I think hotels/airlines will become less likely to do what the Conrad Bangkok has done in honoring it.
My last 2 cents, see u in BKK.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by 46long
Quite simply, by booking months at a time I think hotels/airlines will become less likely to do what the Conrad Bangkok has done in honoring it.
Agree.

If it is ok for me to book 2 days, it is ok for person x to book 6 months. Therefore, I find the premise of the discussion-- that some are ruining the deals for "everyone" by "innappropriately" booking "too many" nights to be nonsensical.
Then I guess we live in a nonsensical world; if buying 2 tickets to a concert is okay, so must buying 200, except most jurisdictions have a law on the books against ticket scalping and this is little different to me. But that's just me and my nonexistant moral consistancy...
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:10 am

From the SFO Travelodge Thread

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
The question is what the definition of "greedy" is.

I'd like your evaluation on what I did (and don't worry, I have a thick skin). I'm required to overnight in SF once a week until the end of the year. I'm paying for these stays on my own dime (along with my flights, but that's a separate issue). I've PLed my stays so far, but why pay $60-70 when I can pay $0? So I went ahead and booked the hotel, and submitted the BRG form for free nights. I had 7 approved, and in fact submitted for 2 more tonight. None of my bookings were speculative... I'm staying each and every one of those nights.

Am I being excessive? Should I be "sharing the wealth" as it were? Or should I be allowed to look out for myself?
One definition of greedy might be to be taking more than you need, especially to the point where there is none left for others. Two months at a Hilton? How can anyone deny that's greedy? 7 nights at a Travelodge? You'll have differing opinions there, but just like people that have airline benefits are not supposed to use them to travel for work, I think these BRGs are a similar thing, in that people shouldn't be using them to supplement their routine, regular daily lives. If you're planning on being in SF anyway, perhaps a couple of nights, but hooking yourself up for the rest of the year? As I stated earlier, that's obviously going to raise some eyebrows, and it's going to take inventory away from other FTers that might only want one or two nights, it makes Travelodge catch the error faster, and it might even cause them to change their BRG policy considering how much people are publicizing it and going overboard with it.

Remember how we used to get on people who "call in" to the airline when there's a fare error? Well, booking up massive amounts of rooms is going to essentially do the same thing, and potentially jeopardize the deal for everyone, now and in the future.

I find it curious how most of the hotel/fare deals that get posted on FT always seem to have issues with the airlines/hotels honoring all the bookings. But on the deals that haven't been posted, or don't receive much play on FT, there's hardly any question whether the company honors the deal.

Just my two cents. Some people, like me, use BRGs a couple of times a year when they get stranded in an airport or somewhere else for some other reason. Not everyone uses BRGs to supplement regularly scheduled travel.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
What is a BRG? is that Best Rate Guarantee?? or is it something else. If its what I think it is, then how is that a problem with what IT did? if its something else, can someone add a little more to this so I can figure out what he is doing?
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
What is a BRG? is that Best Rate Guarantee?? or is it something else. If its what I think it is, then how is that a problem with what IT did? if its something else, can someone add a little more to this so I can figure out what he is doing?
BRG = Best Rate Guarantee.
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
One definition of greedy might be to be taking more than you need, especially to the point where there is none left for others.
If you're planning on being in SF anyway, perhaps a couple of nights, but hooking yourself up for the rest of the year? As I stated earlier, that's obviously going to raise some eyebrows, and it's going to take inventory away from other FTers that might only want one or two nights, ...
We'll just have to differ then. You may think I'm greedy... but I think you're way overly cautious and paranoid. Isn't the nature all these deals is that it's first-come, first-serve, which of course takes away inventory (besides the fact that the BRG is not capacity controlled)?

I'll admit I'm having problems seeing the problem with saving myself money (tangible) vs. ignoring personal finances for the possible greater good of keeping the window open for others (speculative at best). How do you know I'm taking those nights away from FTers? Isn't it more likely that if I don't use the deal, no one else will either? And I imagine the system is designed so that as soon as the FIRST request is sent in, the prices are looked it... so IMO everyone needs to jump in ASAP.

Now that I'm up 9 nights that I FOR SURE will be using, I'm saving myself at least $500 over my avg PL stays (and close to $1000 on Travelodge rates, or $1500-2000 in web rates at hotels I normally would stay at), which is nothing to sneeze at.

I fail to see your reasoning that I should only get a couple nights at most for myself. As self-serving as it is, my personal definition of greed is taking more than one actually needs. I'd wholeheartedly agree booking the Hilton for a month straight, or calling into the La Quinta demanding a suite upgrade, is just plain stupid, and I'd be first in line to smack those people upside the head. However, I'm taking exactly what I need, and no more. If I wanted to, I probably could make reservations for the whole end of 2006 and just move up to SF... or I could reserve rooms for whole weekends I THINK I may spend up there. But I don't... I'm only reserving those nights I am sure to be there.

What it boils down to is that you have a very low threshold for what is considered greedy, while comparatively I ruin for everyone
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:32 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
It will be interesting.......

to see how Ice Trojan feels showing up at the Travelodge the same night each week and probably facing the same desk clerk with the same price. I wonder after 3 or 4 weeks how that will go over????? Best of Luck.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by ingy
to see how Ice Trojan feels showing up at the Travelodge the same night each week and probably facing the same desk clerk with the same price. I wonder after 3 or 4 weeks how that will go over????? Best of Luck.
Are you refering to whether or not I get the rate, the treatment I'll get, or my guilt? My rate has already been changed for all nights to $0, and I'll be sure to put in a smile and be a great guest... otherwise, I don't care what they think. As for guilt... no.

I do wonder who absorbs the $0... corporate, or the local location.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Originally Posted by tcook052
Agree.

Then I guess we live in a nonsensical world; if buying 2 tickets to a concert is okay, so must buying 200, except most jurisdictions have a law on the books against ticket scalping and this is little different to me. But that's just me and my nonexistant moral consistancy...

Ticket scalping is reselling tickets to others at a markup-- not buying more than John Doe bought.....
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:29 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Correct. The room bookers are not re-selling the rooms! The analogy is flawed. Hey, one day the supermarket shelves are packed with Babich N.Z. Sauvignon Blanc for $9. The next day they're all gone. Did one person buy them all, or did lots of people stop in and buy? What's the difference?

Last edited by kaukau; Sep 14, 2006 at 2:43 pm
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:44 pm

My point it one can't "abuse the deal". If it is ok to book for a day, then it is ok to book for a year-- it is the same action. If you are against booking such things, fine, be against it. If you are for it, that's fine too. But, being for it for oneself and against for others who are "ruining it for everyone" isn't justifiable.

Very well said.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:02 pm

Ticket scalping is reselling tickets to others at a markup-- not buying more than John Doe bought.....
Disagree. While I haven't asked any of those who have booked months at a time, I understand from the discussion on FT that the folks hope to get something from the hotel as a goodwill gesture, in essence to profit from the room rate error.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by kaukau
Correct. The room bookers are not re-selling the rooms! The analogy is flawed.
Yeah, right, they're not out for anything.

They may not be re-selling the rooms to the public, but they are seeking some compensation from the hotel for releasing the rooms. Call it holding the rooms for ransom then.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by kaukau
I can't imagine any hotel not just renting the room out to the public after some customer who booked it for a year at $3.00 a day takes off after 3 weeks with some vague instructions not to rent it out "....'til I get back.".

This previous post of mine is my reply to the above post #133.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.