Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotel Deals
Reload this Page >

Is Hotels.com "free night" better than rewards program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Hotels.com "free night" better than rewards program?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Except for a rebate for free nights + rebates from topcashback. Which are a hell of a lot more straightforward than the hotel loyalty chain dance, and hotels.com at the moment isn't in continuous and steady devaluation mode like Hilton/IHG/Radisson, soon to be joined by Starriott. That's sort of my angle on this: how much messing around with loyalty chains that lead you on and then snatch the football away like Lucy from Charlie Brown do I want to deal with, as opposed to keeping it simple, stupid, knowing I'll occasionally lose an angle but I gain consistency and simplicity?

(My response has been that I burn Hilton, Radisson and IHG pretty readily because I don't trust them to devalue massively five minutes from now, Starriott is too new and it sounds like they'll be devaluing the upper end Real Soon Now™, I trust Hyatt more to the point that I am more OK accruing on them, and hotels.com most. So far. But place no faith in princes...)
well said. Ihg, Hilton, Marriott on a race to the bottom. I have switched my loyalty to Hyatt
Old May 1, 2019, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by BaconSF

well said. Ihg, Hilton, Marriott on a race to the bottom. I have switched my loyalty to Hyatt
It's only a matter of time before Hyatt joins in. I definitely smell a large deval coming sooner rather than later.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
It's only a matter of time before Hyatt joins in. I definitely smell a large deval coming sooner rather than later.
it would be a very stupid move to do so now, especially with how Marriott is ruining their loyalty program and ppl are in search for a new program.
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:41 pm

Just got this email:

From 11/27/2019, there’ll be a redemption fee of $5 for every reward night redeemed; however no redemption fee will apply if reward nights are redeemed using the Hotels.com app. We’re making this change to cover some of the costs of running the program, so more than 43 million Hotels.com Rewards members can continue to benefit from the program. So, every time you collect 10 nights, you’ll get 1 reward night. You pay the redemption fee, as well as the usual taxes and fees. Also, remember, you won't have to pay a redemption fee when you redeem on the Hotels.com app.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lobo411
Just got this email:
I got this email too. Can’t say I like the idea of a $5/night redemption fee nor the idea that the only way around it is to use the hotels.com app.
:D! likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by GUWonder

I got this email too. Can’t say I like the idea of a $5/night redemption fee nor the idea that the only way around it is to use the hotels.com app.
Is this really that big a deal? It's only for your reward night, not all bookings. So, every 11th booking, make sure you use your phone app (which I tend to use more any way).
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:48 pm

Same...My bet is that the mobile app exception is just a temporary measure until people get used to the $5 charge.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Boo hiss! to the $5 (or CAD$6) Redemption Fee ! It's a small amount of money, but it contradicts the promise & principle of a Free Night!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fredc84
Is this really that big a deal? It's only for your reward night, not all bookings. So, every 11th booking, make sure you use your phone app (which I tend to use more any way).
It’s an issue, no less so when it’s highly conceivable that hotels.com will use the paying of the redemption fee via channels beside the proprietary phone app as an excuse to apply the redemption fee to “free nights” booked via the app too.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:37 pm

It’s an issue, no less so when it’s highly conceivable that hotels.com will use the paying of the redemption fee via channels beside the proprietary phone app as an excuse to apply the redemption fee to “free nights” booked via the app too.
I'm not sure I'm following what you're trying to say here.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lobo411
Same...My bet is that the mobile app exception is just a temporary measure until people get used to the $5 charge.
But if you use the app, you won't get used to the €4 charge...

Regardless, presumably we all only book on hotels.com when the room we are booking is cheaper than elsewhere, right? All you need to do now is to ensure to add an extra CA$0.60/US$0.50/€0.40 "future fee" per night of your booking onto the hotel.com total, and re-assess if you should not switch to a better price from a different provider when booking...
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Havent received this emai. What status are you? Been gold for 5 years (not that its worth anything) but would be nice if it was a perk of gold that this didnt apply...
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
There's an Amazon targeted deal of spending at least one Amex MR point and get $30 off $60. I used it for a 30% discount on a $100 hotels.com gift card. Of course you can buy whatever you want...doesn't have to be gift cards.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by The doomed
Havent received this emai. What status are you? Been gold for 5 years (not that its worth anything) but would be nice if it was a perk of gold that this didnt apply...
It does not appear to apply to UK-based accounts (yet), but it is only being introduced in Nov 2019 so there may still be time to alert you...

they probably want to see how fall sterling falls before setting the fee.
The doomed likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:41 am

I am a Gold member. In the past I was able to cancel non-refundable reservations without issue. I've just tried to shorten a 2 night stay into 1 of a non-ref reservation and was told not possible. Agent told me the hotel won't let it. In the past, I've been told the same, but hotels dot com will pick up the tab so was able to cancel without penalty.

So Gold status is pretty much worthless then?

Anyone has similar experience lately?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.